Options

The Emmerdale Discussion (Spoilers) (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    PickpussPickpuss Posts: 72,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we having a new famileh today :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for what website/publication?

Merry Christmas my young friend who likes weird music :D:D
  • Options
    Bishop GeorgeBishop George Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Pickpuss wrote: »
    I think he meant seeing the people who have moved to the village over the last year enjoy their first Christmas there.
  • Options
    Maidenfan666Maidenfan666 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    Merry Christmas my young friend who likes weird music :D:D

WEIRD? WEIR... to be fair i am listening to a band called transatlantic whose new album the whirlwind consists of one 72 minute piece of music without accessible sections, and whose band members are also members of bands such as "spocks beard", "marillion" and "the flower kings" but still, SHUT UP!....

and also, merry davidtennantsfinalepisodeofdoctorwhopartone-day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he meant seeing the people who have moved to the village over the last year enjoy their first Christmas there.

Ah, gotcha Bish
    WEIRD? WEIR... to be fair i am listening to a band called transatlantic whose new album the whirlwind consists of one 72 minute piece of music without accessible sections, and whose band members are also members of bands such as "spocks beard", "marillion" and "the flower kings" but still, SHUT UP!....

Apart from 'Marilion' I ain't got a clue what you're on about :o:D
  • Options
    crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

:D:D:D:D

Like that, can we rename the day.

Sorry your grace:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh hello hic I just came back from visiting some of the spinsters and widows hic, oh dear way too much sherry hic by the time I got to visit Mrs Ladderbanks I could barely fight her off hic!
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for what website/publication?

From the itv.com website
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the Wyldes, Lambs, Bartons, and the Sharma family :)
  • Options
    mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    Emmerdale: A Review of the Year

For those who felt Anita Turner's production phase hit new lows in soap awfulness, this year has been a revelation. Not only has the show recovered its consistency, but the comedy-slapstick domination that threatened to erase what Emmerdale stood for has finally ended.

AT maybe have had a hand in creating some of the characters, but it really needed another producer to wipe the slate clean. The introduction of three new families, the Wyldes, Bartons and Sharmas was just what was needed.

The Wyldes, in particular Natasha, Maisie & Nathan have been brilliant additions. Even Maxwell Caulfield as Mark, often criticised for poor acting, seemed to fit in after time. Faye and Ryan plus the Sharmas all slotted in well too, with nary a comedy character among them. I could tell the tide was turning when the Lexi rooftop episode stayed focussed on nothing else. Under Turner, those dramatic scenes would have been interspersed with cuts back to the Dingles or other 'humourous' characters. Another great dramatic development has been the introduction of Sally, surely one of the best soap bunny boilers ever!

Other good ideas were the transformation of Carl to a darker character and using Doug much more effectively. Carl needed a new direction and Doug has been excellent clashing with Nathan, Ashley and Sally. Aaron remains one of the show's best-acted characters and his storyline involving John, Moira and the police was a really good one that opened up the whole debate on juvenile crime.

As the show improved, weaker elements were reduced. There was less Eli, Shadrach, Viv, Bob, Jamie, Pollard, Val and several other clowns who we saw less and less. This helped Emmerdale enormously IMO, at last clearing out the overbearing comedy that had far too long ruined the show's light and dramatic balance.

There are still flaws - Jimmy has become much weakened in his role as a henpecked husband, and Rodney needs more to do than just cluck over kiddies. Marlon remains a major blot on the landscape and Cain, Charity & Debbie have also become very boring with their domestic squabbles.

I'm actually wondering if more of the long-termers will leave. Maybe Joe Gilgun ( Eli ) saw the writing on the wall when his role was so drastically reduced. Certainly, with at least 63 cast members and Emmerdale putting drama back in pride of place, does the show need ten or more minor comedy characters any more?

Either way, t'village ( IMO ) is in better shape than ever. Long may it last, and well done to the team who made it happen :)

Score for the year: 10 out of 10
  • Options
    DuchessKittyDuchessKitty Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For those who felt Anita Turner's production phase hit new lows in soap awfulness, this year has been a revelation. Not only has the show recovered its consistency, but the comedy-slapstick domination that threatened to erase what Emmerdale stood for has finally ended.

AT maybe have had a hand in creating some of the characters, but it really needed another producer to wipe the slate clean. The introduction of three new families, the Wyldes, Bartons and Sharmas was just what was needed.

The Wyldes, in particular Natasha, Maisie & Nathan have been brilliant additions. Even Maxwell Caulfield as Mark, often criticised for poor acting, seemed to fit in after time. Faye and Ryan plus the Sharmas all slotted in well too, with nary a comedy character among them. I could tell the tide was turning when the Lexi rooftop episode stayed focussed on nothing else. Under Turner, those dramatic scenes would have been interspersed with cuts back to the Dingles or other 'humourous' characters. Another great dramatic development has been the introduction of Sally, surely one of the best soap bunny boilers ever!

Other good ideas were the transformation of Carl to a darker character and using Doug much more effectively. Carl needed a new direction and Doug has been excellent clashing with Nathan, Ashley and Sally. Aaron remains one of the show's best-acted characters and his storyline involving John, Moira and the police was a really good one that opened up the whole debate on juvenile crime.

As the show improved, weaker elements were reduced. There was less Eli, Shadrach, Viv, Bob, Jamie, Pollard, Val and several other clowns who we saw less and less. This helped Emmerdale enormously IMO, at last clearing out the overbearing comedy that had far too long ruined the show's light and dramatic balance.

There are still flaws - Jimmy has become much weakened in his role as a henpecked husband, and Rodney needs more to do than just cluck over kiddies. Marlon remains a major blot on the landscape and Cain, Charity & Debbie have also become very boring with their domestic squabbles.

I'm actually wondering if more of the long-termers will leave. Maybe Joe Gilgun ( Eli ) saw the writing on the wall when his role was so drastically reduced. Certainly, with at least 63 cast members and Emmerdale putting drama back in pride of place, does the show need ten or more minor comedy characters any more?

Either way, t'village ( IMO ) is in better shape than ever. Long may it last, and well done to the team who made it happen :)

Here here Mr. M! Roll on 2010!
  • Options
    Forum Member

How very odd, I have seen a lot of Eli, Val and Eric lately.

I would agree that it has been a good year in the village, apart from the church getting burnt down, except that the stories have dragged interminably with repeated scenes between Mark and Faye, and Charity and Cain. I would write more, but I have more important things going on in my life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    How very odd, I have seen a lot of Eli, Val and Eric lately.

I would agree that it has been a good year in the village, apart from the church getting burnt down, except that the stories have dragged interminably with repeated scenes between Mark and Faye, and Charity and Cain. I would write more, but I have more important things going on in my life.
    You are right, Bishop George. The Pollards, and several of the Dingles at present have on-going story lines, all set to continue. Marlon and Eli through trying to help Lizzie, Lisa, Aaron, Sam of course, and that is over and above Charity, Cain and Debbie. There could even be more soon to be met Dingles out there.
    Unless I've overlooked someone the only Dingles not frequently on screen at present are Shradrach and Belle.

I would also like to point out that success or failure, whichever way you choose to perceive it, of any programme, is not attributable to one person. It is, when all is said and done, a team effort.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here here Mr. M! Roll on 2010!
    Thanks Kitty - Emmerdale has received its fair share of stick in the past, so it's great to praise the show now it's regained form ( IMO ) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And some have been dedicated through thick and thin without needing to stick the boot in. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Unless I've overlooked someone the only Dingles not frequently on screen at present are Shradrach and Belle.
    Apart from Charity, Cain & Debbie though, the others aren't getting anything like the airtime of old. At one point Shadrach hadn't been seen for weeks, likewise Eli, Sam & Belle. The point is, the more 'comedic' Dingles have had their contributions reduced quite a lot overall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well of course they have, they have been sidelined for the repetitive Wylde story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apart from Charity, Cain & Debbie though, the others aren't getting anything like the airtime of old. At one point Shadrach hadn't been seen for weeks, likewise Eli, Sam & Belle. The point is, the more 'comedic' Dingles have had their contributions reduced quite a lot overall.
    Contracts do have to be kept to if at all possible and it is not economically sound practice to 'sideline' characters, particularly those who are stalwarts of the show and still draw a lot of fan mail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well of course they have, they have been sidelined for the repetitive Wylde story.

Yes your grace, the show I have watched all year has had many Dingle storylines this yearapart form the Cain & Charity bore-athon . Chas, Paddy Carl and Aaron . Marlon has had the marriage breakup and the Moira thing :mad: Eli seemed to be forgotten after the Debbie, Jas murder thing . We also have had all the Debbie stories the murder, the custody battle and the wedding .
    The Pollards have had the Val leaving the pub, Val hiding in the B & B as well as Eric's suspected heart trouble, bankruptcy, losing the election as well as the breakdown and reconcilliation in his marriage.
    But you are also right in the repetitive strain I am getting with the bleedin Wyldes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Contracts do have to be kept to if at all possible and it is not economically sound practice to 'sideline' characters, particularly those who are stalwarts of the show and still draw a lot of fan mail.
    I know, but a lot of the less serious Dingles have been sidelined. Their scams rarely lead episodes now. There's just generally less Dingle comedy overall. I think with Eli in particular this has been true, and Shadrach is merely a background character now. The lion's share of airtime has shifted to the Wyldes, Sharmas and Bartons from what I've seen. That's also improved Emmerdale a lot IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well as you say, that is your opinion. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know, but a lot of the less serious Dingles have been sidelined. Their scams rarely lead episodes now. There's just generally less Dingle comedy overall. I think with Eli in particular this has been true, and Shadrach is merely a background character now. The lion's share of airtime has shifted to the Wyldes, Sharmas and Bartons from what I've seen. That's also improved Emmerdale a lot IMO.

In what way have the Bartons, Wyldes and the Sharma's had the Lions share of airtime. All the big stories this year have been Dingle related except the boring bigamy storyline
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Dingle scams rarely 'led' episodes. They served in the background to balance the programme and stop it becoming over dramatic and heavy. They are still written for in a light hearted way and will still be much utilised as a very necessary part of the programme.
    Until very recently, after establishing the family and laying the founds to the Mark/Faye story, the older Wyldes had minimal screentime. Not unintentional.
    Overkill alienates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In what way have the Bartons, Wyldes and the Sharma's had the Lions share of airtime. All the big stories this year have been Dingle related except the boring bigamy storyline
    The bigamy storyline has been the longest running and biggest SL of all this year. We've also had Faye's affair with Mark, the beginnings Maisie & Ryan's relationship, the new Home Farm Fayre shop, Nathan blackmailing Leyla, Moira's reactions to Andy and her scenes with Marlon, John's clash with Aaron, the Sharmas starting up their factory etc. This year they've all had much more airtime than the more 'comedic' Dingles ie Zak, Lisa, Eli, Shadrach, Gennie and Belle. Bar Cain, Charity & Debbie, the rest of the clan aren't getting half the airtime and prominence that they used to.

And Dingle storylines did used to dominate episodes at times - such as the Xmas panto, the robbery of the bookies by Eli & Marlon, Zak being 'banished' from home by Belle and the gang fights that revolved around Danielle. Thankfully, those days are over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The bigamy storyline has been the longest running and biggest SL of all this year. We've also had Faye's affair with Mark, the beginnings Maisie & Ryan's relationship, the new Home Farm Fayre shop, Nathan blackmailing Leyla, Moira's reactions to Andy and her scenes with Marlon, John's clash with Aaron, the Sharmas starting up their factory etc. This year they've all had much more airtime than the more 'comedic' Dingles ie Zak, Lisa, Eli, Shadrach, Gennie and Belle. Bar Cain, Charity & Debbie, the rest of the clan aren't getting half the airtime and prominence that they used to.

And Dingle storylines did used to dominate episodes at times - such as the Xmas panto, the robbery of the bookies by Eli & Marlon, Zak being 'banished' from home by Belle and the gang fights that revolved around Danielle. Thankfully, those days are over.

The longest running but not the biggest, the Wyldes have been relegated in the pecking order behind the Cain and Charity return, the bigamy storyline started the year but has been placed on the back burner while the other stories have taken precedence. The Bartons have not been the main protaginists in a story as yet neither have the Sharma's they have been involved to a high level but they have not been the main focus
This discussion has been closed.