Options

COM8 up and running

Comments

• Options
    GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benster wrote: »
    Sorry don't live in Blackburn anymore need to change it on here it live in corby East midlabds

Pop your postcode into http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/ and tick the "detailed view" box and you should find out your tx prediction.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Greebo wrote: »
    Pop your postcode into http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/ and tick the "detailed view" box and you should find out your tx prediction.

This is what it gives for Blackpool
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/display/alternative/fy1+1aa/NA/0

A few houses in this area use Lancaster and Moel-Y-Parc is possible on an indoor aerial.
    Haslingden was a very poor analogue signal and I have never received digital from there.
  • Options
    eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if mentioned upthread, but the latest Freeview channel guide suggests that COM8 will become more widely available in June.

http://www.freeview.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Freeview-Channel-Guide_21-April-2015.pdf (page 4)
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    Not sure if mentioned upthread, but the latest Freeview channel guide suggests that COM8 will become more widely available in June.

http://www.freeview.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Freeview-Channel-Guide_21-April-2015.pdf (page 4)

Well thats not too far off now, good spot!
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    It has no date on it, just 2015, i.e. it is not available yet.

Fair enough. So another retune for people then.
    Too many retunes, pain in the backside this digital lark.
  • Options
    eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

Or, yunno, you could just not retune and not have the newest channels on the platform. That's always an option.

What is peoples issue with retuning? :confused: Do they expect channels to magically appear on their box or something? I realise there was no retuning back in the day of analogue TV - but then it had five channels!
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or, yunno, you could just not retune and not have the newest channels on the platform. That's always an option.

What is peoples issue with retuning? :confused: Do they expect channels to magically appear on their box or something? I realise there was no retuning back in the day of analogue TV - but then it had five channels!

I'll give you 2 reasons.:D

I have to retune a tv and 2 pvr's. (I also had a HD box as the tv wasn't HD, so that was 4 devices)

1) The pvr's lose the recording schedules, which is bloomin' annoying. I know that's down to box manufacturer but I can't do anything about it. (ok I could use 'alternative' software route)

2) Being in between to transmitters, Mendip and Wenvoe, I need to tune manually.

But as you say why bother, unless something interesting is added.:)
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, Sky can add channels to the EPG and they show up automatically for everyone, or targeted areas of the country. Perhaps if Freeview had a common EPG this would be a possibility but would probably be a massive undertaking considering there are different models of TV with different tuners and features.

I have several TV's to retune every time a new channel gets added. It can become tiresome.
  • Options
    EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member

What is peoples issue with retuning? :confused:

Might be something to do with some PVRs (eg. recent Humax) delete the timers from any multiplex it retunes. It can be a right pain to have to make a note of 30+ timers, rescan and then re-enter all the timers.

It is within the bounds of the current technology that channels could magically appear/rename/renumber on multiplexes already known to your equipment. It is even possible that new multiplexes from the same transmitter can announce themselves. So, "Do they expect channels to magically appear on their box or something?" - Yes!
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I completely agree.

Were constantly told by some here that all Freeview HD equipment automatically retunes these channels, yet it simply is not the case with my Humax boxes.

It's got to the point that I wont bother now unless there's a new channel I really want, and COM8 certainly doesn't have anything worth retuning for.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they expect channels to magically appear on their box or something?
    You've obviously never used Freesat or Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The problem is it is too often, it is not that long ago I had to retune my Dads TV. If you got a few TV sets and some PVRs as well it just takes time.

Analogue we only had 4 channels for years, we did not have to retune every 6 months. It was only when five started that we had to retune again.

Like flipping DAB that is the same, oh we got a new station so retune, oh that station of gone, retune, oh we got another station, retune
    Load of crap it really is, it is not going forwards it is going backwards

Glad i do not bother with any of it, TV or DAB radio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    I completely agree.

Were constantly told by some here that all Freeview HD equipment automatically retunes these channels, yet it simply is not the case with my Humax boxes.

It's got to the point that I wont bother now unless there's a new channel I really want, and COM8 certainly doesn't have anything worth retuning for.

i got to that stage when I was watching TV, in fact the last time my SD PVR was retuned was when we switched to digital, the HD one is newer, but never been retuned since I had it.

The TV is detuned now, so if I go back to watching TV, that will be retuned, but it is not a HD tuner so will make little difference to it.

Got fed up of retuning DAB as well, which is why I do not bother with DAB now, not that I bothered much with before to be honest. DAB part of my radio is all detuned, now, only FM, and only FM on the Hi-fi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    You've obviously never used Freesat or Sky.

Yeah, freesat can do it.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oddly enough, I only bother with a retune when there's a new channel that I want, or when a channel that I watch changes muxes (both happen very infrequently). Otherwise, I don't bother.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

June - in time for the summer of sport on the BBC again then? Hmm....
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,984
    Forum Member
    I am getting full signal strength and signal quality on Ch 37 (Bilsdale), the COM8 channel for that transmitter although no channels appear on a channel search on that frequency.

I assume that means COM 8 is now active here and the channels will follow. I shall keep monitoring for developments.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing a 79% signal (COM7 is 76%) from Waltham - my TV card is able to get some data from it, but it appears that something contains nothing.
  • Options
    GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    Seeing a 79% signal (COM7 is 76%) from Waltham - my TV card is able to get some data from it, but it appears that something contains nothing.

There were maybe 10 transmitter sites observed to be broadcasting an empty COM8 before launch- and a516 and others report that 5 transmitters are in service. I can only presume that those still broadcasting null packets only are doing so because they don't yet have the proper data feeds in place, since everything else appears to be ready.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Oddly enough, I only bother with a retune when there's a new channel that I want, or when a channel that I watch changes muxes (both happen very infrequently). Otherwise, I don't bother.

Very wise. I don't think QVC HD is on my list as far as retuning my PVR is concerned although my TV lacks taste and adds such things automatically.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,984
    Forum Member
    There were maybe 10 transmitter sites observed to be broadcasting an empty COM8 before launch- and a516 and others report that 5 transmitters are in service. I can only presume that those still broadcasting null packets only are doing so because they don't yet have the proper data feeds in place, since everything else appears to be ready.

So far as I can tell Bilsdale has only fired up today or yesterday. There was no signal before that whenever I tried.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Pontop Pike has fired up the transmitter on C34 / 578MHz for COM8 within the last day or two (I've been checking for it most days since the report of COM8 on Winter Hill a couple of weeks or so ago). There are no channels being carried by it yet, but the signal strength and quality seems similar to that of COM7 which is on C33 / 570MHz and which I receive fine.
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    That could be it. Some channelised communal systems basically filter out everything except the exact 8MHz channels needed for the muxes the installer knows exist. So new muxes popping up won't be passed through until the system is adjusted.

That possibility had occurred to me thanks but I've finally managed to lock Ch35 which suggests the communal system is using a simple Group B aerial filter.

The picture quality also suggests the receiver's built-in signal strength meter is overly pessimistic when reading DVB-T2 signals and I might even be able to lock Ch33 (COM7) if I try scanning from a different location.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    COM8 now up and running on Sandy Heath.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just did retune (tv only) and strangely I've lost Com 7 but have Com 8 (ch 35), on Mendip,, and Com 7 on Wenvoe (ch 31).