Options

Benidorm Series 7 (Discussion Thread)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfunny again, we laughed once.

The Kenny call was cool, the Welsh couple are a waste of space. The Oracle isnt being given any funny lines. Its really gone down hill.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keviness wrote: »
    The Donald moment was so beautifully done.

Not sure what to expect for S8.

I must say, series 7 had its flaws, but I do agree that the way Derren wrote Jacqueline and Donalds final moment was beautiful. Far more respectable to Kenneth ireland.

Next year however, if Jacqueline returns, she needs to be in Benidorm as a sad widow and has Donalds ashes to scatter. She could turn up with a bloke from the Middlesborough Swingers Association so storylines could be more humorous for her.
  • Options
    Trmcg5Trmcg5 Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Next year however, if Jacqueline returns, she needs to be in Benidorm as a sad widow and has Donalds ashes to scatter. She could turn up with a bloke from the Middlesborough Swingers Association so storylines could be more humorous for her.

That's quite a good idea actually, she could be there with Gay Derek or Rob the K*ob
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    buttsfife wrote: »
    One subtle change I have noticed in the programme over the years is the decrease in the number of "smokers" featured.

That old Garvey woman smoked enough for the rest of cast put together.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    There are usually 12 characters and for Series 8, it looks as though it's going to be:

1. Joyce Temple-Savage (dead cert)
    2. Kenneth (dead cert)
    3. Les (dead cert)
    4. Geoff Maltby (quite possible)
    5. Noreen Maltby (quite possible)

The rest will be new characters or returnees, hopefully Gavin and Troy along with Martin and Kate. I doubt any misplaced characters will return - Clive, Jacqueline, Tiger, Terri and Glynn. I got the impression Annie could return, most likely as a guest again. As for Mateo and Liam, they got a proper send off, so it would be highly irregular if they came back.
  • Options
    blackcat1blackcat1 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Well we have really enjoyed this series , as another poster mentions the cast work really well together and I think there have been some very funny moments throughout the series. I honestly don't understand why all the moaners keep watching - if you think it's that bad turn it off !!
    I will be looking forward to season 8 ! Glad to read Mateo will be back - it wouldn't be the same without him .
    It was a lovely ending for Donald and Jacqueline , vey touching and a nice tribute to Kenny Ireland - well done to the shows production team for that .
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I though that the writers were unnecessarily spinning a sub plot out of Donalds absence but the pay off in the end was nicely done and a funny salute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    There are usually 12 characters and for Series 8, it looks as though it's going to be:

1. Joyce Temple-Savage (dead cert)
    2. Kenneth (dead cert)
    3. Les (dead cert)
    4. Geoff Maltby (quite possible)
    5. Noreen Maltby (quite possible)

The rest will be new characters or returnees, hopefully Gavin and Troy along with Martin and Kate. I doubt any misplaced characters will return - Clive, Jacqueline, Tiger, Terri and Glynn. I got the impression Annie could return, most likely as a guest again. As for Mateo and Liam, they got a proper send off, so it would be highly irregular if they came back.

Mateo is also a dead cert, he confirmed he would be back on twitter
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dire....tonight... or one shit..........lol..

Maybe if some of you posters can try and watch the show instead of posting here while its on as the same as other programmes on this thread, you might be able to enjoy them instead of being distracted all the time.

It's always best to pass judgement when when you have seen any full show instead of fragments.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    . As for Mateo and Liam, they got a proper send off, so it would be highly irregular if they came back.
    Agreed, that was a definite farewell. As has been mentioned, it makes you wonder if this episode was meant to be the absolute final. Thank goodness Mateo is coming back but it's even more ridiculous than his exit story.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    I think it will totally be up to Janine, after so many years commitment I doubt they will axe her. It will be up to writers to give her a reason to return to Benidorm but that is their job and I am sure they can do it, if she wants to return. I think she will, it is a job after all.

Yep, hope she's back next turn. Very much so. It would be a huge risk to try and recast Donald because Kenny Ireland was such a recognisable personality so they'll probably have to go with the 'widowed' angle.

I really hope Liam comes back. As I said earlier, it wouldn't be too much of a leap as a whole series is meant to signify 1-2 weeks of holiday at the Solana so he could be back visiting his dad and helping out Kenneth for a stint. Mateo's return has already been slated in.

I do think that the Garveys have had their time and moved on and the rest of the series without them showed that it can work as other characters have come to the fore. If Benidorm were to roll on for a few more series, a nostalgic return for some of the characters in a future episode might be a good surprise, were it kept under wraps beforehand. Then it wouldn't interfere with Steve and Siobhan's otherwise busy schedules too much.

Think it's also a good move to have a mix 'guest' characters flitting in and out as it keeps the interest going, sometimes even to the point of ,"Oh I wondered what happened to so-and-so and here they are!".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benidorm was Friday's highest viewed show outside soaps with 4.3 million and 20.8% share.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Good episode best of the series by far( actually one of the better ones for a few years) but I think it should have ended tonight through What will happen next year? 4-5 crap episodes for one or two funny ones like this year. If Jaqueline goes only Mateo will be original.

Can I have some of what you are drinking.

Comedy wise was it was dreadful hardly even a titter. It was a gentle comedy drama, without the comedy. I gentle episode that you could watch and not have to think too much. A nice easy wayto pass an hour
  • Options
    mintoemintoe Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see some posters are moaning about people moaning :p

I would just like to say that I have watched from the very first series, so feel that I am entitled to air my opinion on a forum whether it is a positive one or not. I also do post during the episode..when the ad breaks are on though so do not see how that detracts from watching the it, i am capable of doing more than one thing at a time and able to pay attention while doing so. :)

Also, I have always liked Liam and also hope he pops in during the next series, really want Mateo, Kenneth and Leslie to stay and really hope that Noreen, Gavin and Troy return. Do not miss the Garvey's at all. Will always watch Benidorm as long as it is on our screens, which i hope is years yet!.
    Still thought that last night's episode was mostly pants. :D

That is all..................................for now :kitty:
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see the old Duty Free couples (Keith Barron, Gwen Taylor & co) turn up, on holiday and see how things have progressed with them over the years.
    Maybe a one off episode, or possibly they could become regulars.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I was fighting back the tears. Last night, while not one of the best episodes ever, was still rather good. I look forward to the next series.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    I would like to see the old Duty Free couples (Keith Barron, Gwen Taylor & co) turn up, on holiday and see how things have progressed with them over the years.

Are they all still alive and well? I don't think I've seen that 'posh' couple in anything since.

It would be a great idea if they are all still working :)

Would Gwen Taylor's character try to get off with Mateo while Keith Barron's character tries to get off with the 'posh Lynda'? ;-)
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Are they all still alive and well? I don't think I've seen that 'posh' couple in anything since.

It would be a great idea if they are all still working :)

Would Gwen Taylor's character try to get off with Mateo while Keith Barron's character tries to get off with the 'posh Lynda'? ;-)

They did a stage tour together of Duty Free last year. I think Gwen is recovering from breast cancer though so not sure if she's still getting treatment or has been given the all clear.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sting how he got his £5 grand back was very clever, but what was the point of Nadia Sarwallywallywallah turning up at the end.?:confused:
  • Options
    tellymadmantellymadman Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Thought last nights was emotional. Thought Alistair McGowan did a pretty good job as Donald. Sure it was very hard to get right as Kenny Ireland had such a specific, unique voice!
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're not allowed to criticise the programme!! You'll have Derren Litten after you. This is what he put on the Benidorm Facebook page a couple of weeks ago. :D

Hello, this is a post from writer & creator of Benidorm Derren Litten. For the past year or so I've been more or less the sole contributor to this Benidorm Facebook page but this is my last post. Reading the comments it's very clear to me this is no longer a site for fans of the show, 95% of remarks left being incredibly negative. I am not above criticism but it's clear to me the vast majority of people on this 'forum' are not fans of the show but with 6 million people watching the show every week for this current series it does have a huge amount of enthusiastic supporters. Just not here. I'll continue contributing the info, news, exclusive pics and Benidorm content elsewhere on the internet but you'll have to find that yourselves as I can't advertise anything outside of ITV here. This page will now only be updated by ITV. As a final note, I'd like to thank the silent majority of the 1.2million Facebook subscribers here for their continued support of my show and wish everyone a great day.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    The sting how he got his £5 grand back was very clever, but what was the point of Nadia Sarwallywallywallah turning up at the end.?:confused:

She has designs on Clive for his ££££
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »

Keith Barron has already been in it as Deputy Mayor of Benidorm in series 3.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,641
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    Yes I wondered that too. In fact I wondered if she was going to foil the scam. It seemed to end quite suddenly, hard to believe it had been on for an hour, and it seemed to be a very short series. I'm wondering if I missed an episode as last night Joyce was back in charge, but i thought she had been replaced?
    Thought last nights was emotional. Thought Alistair McGowan did a pretty good job as Donald. Sure it was very hard to get right as Kenny Ireland had such a specific, unique voice!

I thought he did a terrific job, i was trying to work out how they had got 'Donald's' voice into the show, it fooled me!
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that the Mateo bit was just daft and not entertaining daft - just daft.

I did love the message from Donald though - very nicely done.