Options

Birds of a Feather returns on January 2nd

Comments

• Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to the recording of the first episode of this series and i had to question Garth's wife's Aussie accent. It sounds too forced.
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Garth really doesn't work, nor does his new family (well it's not even his family is it!).

They've cocked up a little bit with how Dalentrace looks. Used to be a really big house with a pool and hot tub. Now all that has disappeared and for some reason the house is now a mirror image in layout - very bizarre. Also no explanation has been given as to how they were able to move back and last I remember they had to rent it to make ends meet.

The three main characters are all great though in themselves. Like some have said here, it would benefit from some actual stories and a touch of drama. I also think they should have kept the opening and closing sequences that were used from series 3 onward - this one feels too light.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,460
    Forum Member
    Loving the new series of BOAF however, I would like to see the back of Garth's new family they need to return to AUS ASAP.

The house, obviously a studio set but feels very cheap and small it looks too 'fake'. It doesn't feel very grand anymore, I want to see some more character development and deeper storylines alongside the gags, all the cast living at Tracey's under one roof surely can't continue into the next series surely?
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    I like Garth, not so much the terrible woman he's bought back from Australia with him. That accent is just, unbearable to say the least. Get rid of the accent and her daughter and keep Garth
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is Matt Willis?

Emma Willis' husband ;-)
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it on catch-up and not sure I would bother with it otherwise.

It's ok but there is no plot and not many laughs. The old episodes seemed to have more of a point to them - there was some kind of dilemma or crisis. The new series does not seem to have that edge.

Garfy, his girlfriend and Poppy are pointless characters and not really needed.

As others have said, if the house is meant to be the same one then they've not made a lot of effort to make it look even similar.

I think I must have missed quite a lot from the last time around. Did Daryl and Chris get out of prison before it went off-air and why aren't Daryl and Tracy still together?
  • Options
    RushRush Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Garth's girlfriend almost makes me not want to watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I agree with the house. I was hoping it would be the original Dalentrace, the external shots are also not the original house. Perhaps the owners of the house originally used for external shots refused the use of their home.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am enjoying this new series. Its good, simple comedy that doesn't feel forced or isn't too clever for its own good.

As for all the talk of the new house, times have changed!
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rush wrote: »
    Garth's girlfriend almost makes me not want to watch.

I think they should have made Garth a recurring character who popped in occasionally. He could have been living nearby with his girlfriend and kids, who would remain off-screen, with perhaps occasional appearances to maintain continuity.

With them all living under the same roof every episode feels like a mad house! The house seems very small compared to the original one as well, which doesn't help.

It seems they give Garth so much screen time because they cast Matt Willis in the role.

There isn't enough time in each episode to be able to develop all these characters.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Who is Matt Willis?

Member of pop group Busted.
  • Options
    Sierra-OscarSierra-Oscar Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I must have missed quite a lot from the last time around. Did Daryl and Chris get out of prison before it went off-air and why aren't Daryl and Tracy still together?

As far as I remember, they did get out & Daryl was played by a different bloke who couldn't act for toffee and his character was really hardened up and he was a really nasty piece of work, nothing like Alun Lewis's Daryl.

He defrauded Tracey and Sharon out of the business they'd built up (building swimming pools) and all their assets and drags an innocent Chris into everything and they both ended up back inside.

She put it about a bit in the aftermath and there was a chance that Travis wasn't Daryl's son (but he is). They've since divorced after the boys were released again and Tracy remarried another wrong 'un who stole from her (& who Sharon didn't like which is why she was kicked out) and they're back in Dalentrace - hence the money being in the loft.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The second bloke who played Darryl was awful and completely ruined the character.

It would only be worth bringing him back if Alun Lewis was prepared to play the role, but perhaps he is no longer interested.
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Pauline quirks has regained a fair bit of weight since she stopped the LighterLife.
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always really liked Birds of a feather and decided to get the box set. I have been watching a few episodes of the first series I do not know if anyone remembers but they had this really annoying habit of playing the pop music of the time really loudly that the actors were barely audible. Its extremely annoying.>:(

That's actually only a problem on the DVDs as there are rights issues with some of the music used in the original broadcasts. The way around it (given that no "clean" versions of the episodes without any music exist) is to play a similar sounding cleared music track over the original scene, and make it loud enough to drown out the original track. Subsequently, it also makes the dialogue very difficult to hear. The only other option would be to cut these scenes out or an expensive re-dub which isn't practical for a DVD release.
  • Options
    Radio-ActiveRadio-Active Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me I think this show lacks a lot compared to the original series, Daryl and Chris provided great laughts and now they're gone. Also the story lines seem weak and the jokes just a bit lame. As for the acting from the new people its not very good, plus in my opinion the adverts spoil the flow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    For those wondering about Chris, read the synopsis for episode 6. Dont read if you dont like spoilers etc :-)

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep6week6/birds-feather#.Ut10zfvFJ48
  • Options
    Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to watch the original series when I was aged somewhere between 7-16 and I loved it.

Have to say this doesn't feel quite the same, but anyway I still like it.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,841
    Forum Member
    Anyone else tuned in tonight?

Enjoying this, even warming to Jamie Foreman in this but hated him in EE.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me or does Lesley Joseph seem to be shouting her lines as though she's on the stage? Was this perhaps filmed earlier than the other episodes and she was still in theatre mode...?
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    I really like this episode
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,841
    Forum Member
    I really like this episode

Loved the description Tracey gave of Daryl's lovemaking :D
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member