Options

Dave Gorman's Modern Life Is Goodish

Comments

• Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I paused the TV and checked the QR code before he explained it and got a bit worried about the lawnmower sale. I got even more jittery when the code came up with the girl's house when I carried on watching the episode. I was like WTF? I didn't get mine or anyone's house!! I got charged for a lawnmower!!

It was only when I did the "click here" thing and got "charged" for a second mower that I started laughing, then thankfully Dave explained it. Bloody sod.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    I love the stuff he comes up with, especially the Powerball Smartie one.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Sammy2 wrote: »
    Very good show last night I thought, one of my favourites

Whole thing was basically a wind up though! I was thinking the QR code could have somehow read some data of your sim card in order to display your house from Google Maps, seemed possible to me
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I paused the TV and checked the QR code before he explained it and got a bit worried about the lawnmower sale. I got even more jittery when the code came up with the girl's house when I carried on watching the episode. I was like WTF? I didn't get mine or anyone's house!! I got charged for a lawnmower!!

It was only when I did the "click here" thing and got "charged" for a second mower that I started laughing, then thankfully Dave explained it. Bloody sod.
    I checked it and then thought he must have been in on it when it went to the obviously fake ad page.
    I didn't go through the next bit to get my 99p cookies :D

I was thinking though that it is possible. On my phone i've turned off the geolocation and other location apps and also don't have facebook but I could imagine some people having all their personal details inputted into sites or apps and a QR code could possibly take that info and redirect to personal info/pics etc.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the number of years Dave will be repeating the programme it'll cost a fortune to keep the lawn mower website going..
  • Options
    gladysbachgladysbach Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Sorry if I'm repeating a previous comment - though I doubt it - Dave Gorman is the unfunniest Man on tele! :o
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gladysbach wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm repeating a previous comment - though I doubt it - Dave Gorman is the unfunniest Man on tele! :o
    That Jihady John is a laugh a minute. 😄
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was chuckling aloud at several points last night
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,395
    Forum Member
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    I love the stuff he comes up with, especially the Powerball Smartie one.

I thought this was hysterical...sadly I very nearly fell for it :D
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    got to say im a little lost with this episode, all the jokes are ones he made up.

The QR code he invinted, but yeah its not beyond the realms of possiblity, the average smart phone will contain your address somewhere, and you can then put that address in google maps, and bamm pictures of your house.

More to the point, Dave (Gorman not the channel) spends the entire last segment laughing at the websites he himself made up, that isnt really comedy in my book.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joooe wrote: »
    I imagine I'm not the only one who went and checked out those websites? Loved this episode. :D

Only the cat one - I am a mad cat person after all;-)

And, indeed, she is A most excellent cat :D
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,697
    Forum Member
    LaineyT wrote: »
    I thought this was hysterical...sadly I very nearly fell for it :D

Me too :blush::D I thought that was hilarious :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    got to say im a little lost with this episode, all the jokes are ones he made up.
    More to the point, Dave (Gorman not the channel) spends the entire last segment laughing at the websites he himself made up, that isnt really comedy in my book.
    Comedians make up jokes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Comedians make up jokes
    yes make up jokes about real life, not jokes about something they created

Its a bit like someone complaining that there are always cars coming against them at traffic lights, but at the end of complaining about it, them saying that they ignore the traffic lights and go on red all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you think all comedy is observational?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think all comedy is observational?
    so I was the only one who felt cheated, when he told us, it was him who made up the websites? & the QR code thing was a fake?
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,104
    Forum Member
    Neil Sean's said he has had homophobic abuse DM'd to him, despite the 32 people he follows are only his friends, gay rights accounts, his employers and Joan Rivers :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    so I was the only one who felt cheated, when he told us, it was him who made up the websites? & the QR code thing was a fake?
    I'd suspect you'd be in the minority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd suspect you'd be in the minority.
    ok well thats how I feel, never been one to care if im in the majority or not.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit disappointed that the QR code wasn't real. I was hoping that it would be genuine and the comedy would come from a rant from Dave about the invasion of privacy (or something like that) of the company doing it.

When the woman saw her house, I imagined an estate agent being behind it and after seeing your house, you'd be redirected to images of houses that might be of interest.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,650
    Forum Member
    The found poem this week actually made a good point. With a Google car, how will you swerve to avoid a collision?
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the QR thing was genius, I fell for it till the second lawnmower,. Both my wife and I were laughing out loud throughout. Looking forward to seeing him live next month. Hopefully it's not just material seen on this series though.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    I was a bit disappointed that the QR code wasn't real. I was hoping that it would be genuine and the comedy would come from a rant from Dave about the invasion of privacy (or something like that) of the company doing it.

When the woman saw her house, I imagined an estate agent being behind it and after seeing your house, you'd be redirected to images of houses that might be of interest.

Were you also disappointed that the powerball wasnt really a smartie as well? :D
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,697
    Forum Member
    Good episode tonight :) Think he missed a trick by not calling himself 'Capuccino Two Sugars' in the Metro section :D
    Though it does make me wonder if I should try the Rush Hour Crush thing just to see what would happen (I dont travel into London very often) :)
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    I only discovered this show by accident a few weeks ago, now I love it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    going to give it another shot tonight, TBH I thought it first aired on Wednesday, back to back with another Dave orginal Crackanory, also Wednesday is a quiet night for me, so both those shows fill the time.