Options

Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    I've just been on Sarah's Finding Philip page and someone has posted about a Californian Lawyer who wrote to the US government to request all details they had on MH370 as part of the Freedom of Information Act. Now remember that this is internet world so we don't know how true it is, but the government letter of response stated that all information on MH370 was classified!

That's going to send the CT'ers off on a whole new journey.

Not really, the USA's investigation into a foreign missing plane that never had anything to do with the USA what so ever is likely to be classified as foreign intelligence.
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/11/us-malaysia-airplane-investigation-idUSBREA3A0NS20140411

Between all the "leaks" and official reports, l can't imagine there will be anything in the initial report we have not heard already. Apart from the cargo, and the maintenance log.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Not really, the USA's investigation into a foreign missing plane that never had anything to do with the USA what so ever is likely to be classified as foreign intelligence.

Classified as what though?

Confidential, Restricted, Secret, Top Secret or what?

It's a foreign "operated" aircraft - built in Seattle by Boeing - so it has everything to do with the USA - as that's where the lawsuits are likely to be filed.
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missing plane: Search enters 'new phase'

This must be awful for the families. I really hope they get some answers soon, but it seems to be looking less and less likely. :(
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    sofieellis wrote: »
    Missing plane: Search enters 'new phase'

This must be awful for the families. I really hope they get some answers soon, but it seems to be looking less and less likely. :(

Does make you question if the signals were indeed from a Black box or were echos from other ships/subs in the areas.

I very much doubt they will find the aircraft. It could be right over where they were originally looking.

Why no debris whatsoever?
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    Does make you question if the signals were indeed from a Black box or were echos from other ships/subs in the areas.

I very much doubt they will find the aircraft. It could be right over where they were originally looking.

Why no debris whatsoever?[/QUOTE]

This has been answered many, many times, including the ocean is absolutely full of debris. Unless a debris field is identified within a couple of days, any debris will be widely scattered especially in an ocean subjected to storms and waves up to 16 metres high. How do you identify one piece of debris from a plane when you are looking at an area containing a thousand pieces of unrelated debris? It is an almost impossible job unless the debris is big enough and/ or has some distinguishing features........and the area being searched is absolutely massive.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sueh21 wrote: »

Interesting. What happens now is the FBI wait a few days, and make up somekind of photo, dated last week so they can take the credit for finding it. Sad but that's how i'll think it'll go.

I hope either way it is the plane and the families can get some sort of closure.
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya people, found this article in the CBB site just now, which should have been done before now

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/28/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I expect some of you know about the latest, but what they are going to do is what should have been done from the start, as where do they think the plane went to when it hit the Ocean! It wasn't going to float like some swimmer, it was going to the bottom, and all the way down.

Bluefin did it's job ok, for a short depth asset, but all the other assets wore themselves out searching for something they couldn't see at all. The only thing which came from this was mapping a large part of the Ocean floor, which was quite something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »

Why no debris whatsoever?
    Because of the conditions under the water, like thick silt which would hide stuff, and the plane could be buried in it. Or it's sitting on a flat surface so far down that debris could be scattered on it, waiting to be found. We'll know when the new search assets find it. :)
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see that you ladies & gents have been keeping the home fires burning over the last few days.

The video of the image found on Tomnod us very interesting but it does look like a shark or whale to me rather than a plane...the question has to be asked as well, if MH370 is off the coast of Malaysia as this guy claims, then what did Inmarsat track all the way to the Indian Ocean!

Can someone tell me if there is an identifier on the handshakes that Inmarsat received? Did those handshakes track as being specifically MH370?

Edited just to add...Señor Diego Garcia!!! Cough, I love it! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks more like a cloud than a plane, and could be verified if they had a search of that area. The 2nd wing looks like it's sunk in silt as it isn't visible. But if it was just under the water and visible to the eye, then ships would have stumbled over it as it passed by. I've seen something similar when I searched the maps, and actually saw a plane which looked like one and tagged it. If he thinks the FBI would get in touch with him it was never going to happen, unless they accuse him of downing the plane, then they'd certainly get in touch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dix wrote: »
    Hiya people, found this article in the CNN site just now, which should have been done before now

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/28/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I expect some of you know about the latest, but what they are going to do is what should have been done from the start, as where do they think the plane went to when it hit the Ocean! It wasn't going to float like some swimmer, it was going to the bottom, and all the way down.

Bluefin did it's job ok, for a short depth asset, but all the other assets wore themselves out searching for something they couldn't see at all. The only thing which came from this was mapping a large part of the Ocean floor, which was quite something.

Soz re that, but my Edit button has vanished so can't change the 2 error letters......! Where's my Edit button DS, please return, and thanks

EDit...CBB should be CNN
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soz re that, but my Edit button has vanished so can't change the 2 error letters......! Where's my Edit button DS, please return, and thanks

EDit...CBB should be CNN

You can only edit for so long after posting then the button disappears.
    Glad you came back and told us you meant CNN though. I was wondering what CBeebies had to do with it! :D
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Good to see that you ladies & gents have been keeping the home fires burning over the last few days.

The video of the image found on Tomnod us very interesting but it does look like a shark or whale to me rather than a plane...the question has to be asked as well, if MH370 is off the coast of Malaysia as this guy claims, then what did Inmarsat track all the way to the Indian Ocean!

Can someone tell me if there is an identifier on the handshakes that Inmarsat received? Did those handshakes track as being specifically MH370?

Yes. The signal is unique and identifiable.
    Edited just to add...Señor Diego Garcia!!! Cough, I love it! :D

My pleasure! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    You can only edit for so long after posting then the button disappears.
    Glad you came back and told us you meant CNN though. I was wondering what CBeebies had to do with it! :D
    Never used to happen with me as the button was always there, and could edit easily, but it didn't this time even after a refresh, so had a sus re DS messing around for fun, as being their sense of humour. ;):D My head's buzzin' DS, hence the errors, but should feel better tomorrow. :D
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member

I saw this image on the Tomnod page on FaceAche ages ago. Most tomnodders didn't seem to think it was the plane.

Can anyone remember where the Vietnamese oil rig worker saw the fire in the sky? Does it tie in with the location of this map at all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this image on the Tomnod page on FaceAche ages ago. Most tomnodders didn't seem to think it was the plane.

Can anyone remember where the Vietnamese oil rig worker saw the fire in the sky? Does it tie in with the location of this map at all?

I saved some links, and this one tells re the fire in the sky futher down the article.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/19/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane-ground-witnesses/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Speaking of fire, at the time of the plane vanishing off radar, a ship's captain was passing in the Malacca Strait and he saw a lot of smoke in the northern section of Malaysia, which he thought might be forest burning, which it could have been, but all the same, it could have meant something, and CNN didn't even mention it.
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. The signal is unique and identifiable.

So there's no way that Tomnod image can possibly be the plane anyway...that might explain why the NTSB & the FBI (gotta love all the acronym agencies :D) haven't bothered to get into contact with him over his find. If the last Inmarsat signal for MH370 didn't come from there then it cannot be there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I saved some links, and this one tells re the fire in the sky futher down the article.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/19/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane-ground-witnesses/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Speaking of fire, at the time of the plane vanishing off radar, a ship's captain was passing in the Malacca Strait and he saw a lot of smoke in the northern section of Malaysia, which he thought might be forest burning, which it could have been, but all the same, it could have meant something, and CNN didn't even mention it.

Wasn't that Sentinel Island that had the big plume of smoke? Nobody wanted to check it out at the time because the Sentinelese are quite strange and fire arrows at anyone that comes near them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't that Sentinel Island that had the big plume of smoke? Nobody wanted to check it out at the time because the Sentinelese are quite strange and fire arrows at anyone that comes near them.

No, the captain said it was mainland Malaysia. The massive haze halted his ship for a bit.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    So there's no way that Tomnod image can possibly be the plane anyway...that might explain why the NTSB & the FBI (gotta love all the acronym agencies :D) haven't bothered to get into contact with him over his find. If the last Inmarsat signal for MH370 didn't come from there then it cannot be there

The NTSB and the FBI probably haven't been in touch with him because they've already had the same image sent to them again ... and again ... and again!

He claims it's the "perfect size", then points to the fuselage/wing fairing. If that's where the wing is located in relation to the tail, the proportions are all wrong ... or there's a dirty great big chunk of the forward fuselage missing (which he doesn't mention!)

The horizontal tail surfaces of a 777 are about 4 times the width of the fuselage, but there's no evidence of them on the image ... so presumably a dirty great big chunk of the back of the plane is missing too, but if that's the case, it messes up the proportions even more!

... and in any case, if the front or back of the plane is missing, how can he measure the length and say it's the "perfect size"? :confused:

Looks like a pod of whales to me! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/04/28/MH370-Australian-exploration-company/

Interesting paragraph 4:
    According to company spokesperson David Pope, “The technology that we use was originally designed to find nuclear warheads, submarines. Our team in the Ukraine decided we should try and help.”
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/04/28/MH370-Australian-exploration-company/

Interesting paragraph 4:
    According to company spokesperson David Pope, “The technology that we use was originally designed to find nuclear warheads, submarines. Our team in the Ukraine decided we should try and help.”
    Thanks for that, as I read it twice to get my bearings, and what I found was a giant leap for mankind was made to search the Southern section of the Ocean where Perth, Australia, is situated. The Northern section didn't get so much attention, as X marked the spot on the South side, via a crystal ball no doubt. ;):D:D

The Malaysian PM also felt plane would be found in Australia area, and only way he could have been so sure was he knew it was there, and only a matter of time before it was discovered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was the mention of the Ukraine team that made me smile, as one of the first CT's I heard about this plane was that it was carrying Ukraine/Russian gold in the cargo hold.
This discussion has been closed.