Options

Ben Ainslie

Comments

• Options
    TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    So 2 points behind but it's double points for the medal race so any finish ahead of the Dane and he has to be at least tied. Speculating from that I'd guess that the tie breaker must be who finishes ahead in the medal race?

Ye that sounds about right , if it was any other type of count back Ainslie couldn't possibly win as the Dane has had more wins and finished ahead of him in the majority of races.
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    So 2 points behind but it's double points for the medal race so any finish ahead of the Dane and he has to be at least tied. Speculating from that I'd guess that the tie breaker must be who finishes ahead in the medal race?

Yep, that's confirmed on the BBC live text now. If they finish tied after the medal race, the medal race head-to-head comes into play.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Yes, there's no difference being 2 points ahead or 2 points behind coming into a medal race. A lot of Scheidt treatment heading the Dane's way.
  • Options
    klunkklunk Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    You get double points in the final race . Ainslie only has to finish ahead of the Dane to win gold. Even if they're the last two to finish.
    Is there nobody else in the field who could theoretically overtake them? It's hard to find the overall standings.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,555
    Forum Member
    BBC website scores aren't yet updated. Ainslie is now level on points with the Dane according to BBC TV - though their website text updates differ. Either way, whoever finshes ahead wins the Gold unless (in Ainslie's case) the Dutch wins and Ainslie is below 7th.

Total genius sailing by Ainslie this afternoon, he got far ahead on the upwind section and then slowed before the turn to literally take the wind out of the sails of the Dane, due to careful positiioning (though he was still a fair way ahead so not certain how effective that would have been - maybe he just kept it as an option in case Dutch failed to overtake Dane).

Dutch guy then overtook the Dane, which he maintained on the final downwind section. So 2 points behind (after the morning race) became level on points with only the medals race to come.

It's now basically winner takes all - Ainslie versus Christensen and I know who my money is on! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted - old score.
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klunk wrote: »
    Is there nobody else in the field who could theoretically overtake them? It's hard to find the overall standings.

The Dutch guy could if he wins the race and Ainslie finishes below 7th (out of 10). So I guess it's not just a question of simply trying to sail the Dane right down the fleet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dutch guy could if he wins the race and Ainslie finishes below 7th (out of 10). So I guess it's not just a question of simply trying to sail the Dane right down the fleet.
    OK, thanks. I did eventually find the overall standings table, and yeah, I see that the Dutch guy is 14 points behind GBR.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    No Ben is 2 points behind, but 2 points behind, level or 2 points ahead does not matter. It would still be winner takes all. There's a faint possibility that the Dutchman could get gold if the two leaders finish at the back of the 10 boat field, but I can't see than happening as some of the boats are much slower.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/sports/sailing/events
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheFridge wrote: »
    I know, but it still took me about ten minutes to find the Overall Standings :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, but it still took me about ten minutes to find the Overall Standings :o

Lol :D
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,555
    Forum Member
    apaul wrote: »
    No Ben is 2 points behind, but 2 points behind, level or 2 points ahead does not matter. It would still be winner takes all. There's a faint possibility that the Dutchman could get gold if the two leaders finish at the back of the 10 boat field, but I can't see than happening as some of the boats are much slower.

Yeah that's it - BBC TV must have been giving out "as they stand" points differences when they said Ainslie was 2 points behind before the finish of race 10. Annoying, fooled me, I hate their "as they stand" tables, they do it with football too, it's meaningless before matches/races finish.

BBC sailing commentators are still saying Ainslie slowed to make dirty air for Christensen, slowing him before the turn - genius if correct because now, he doesn't have to do it in the medals race.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I hope he wins- he's a great competitor.
    And to be frank, he could *ahem* make waves with me anyday of the week.
  • Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big bad Ben is awesome. Sailing is normally so dull but when Ben's around it comes to life :D. I'm willing with everything that he wins so he can become Sir Ben :D:cool:.
  • Options
    Mikes MikeMikes Mike Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we anticipate gold from him today. :)
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    What a prick :yawn:

He doesn´t deserve Marit :mad:

(he has been behaving like a total idiot, but don´t think that the BBC has showed you Brits that)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

(he has been behaving like a total idiot, but don´t think that the BBC has showed you Brits that)

Do I sense a hint of jealousy. Are you Austraaaaaaalian. :D
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Mikes Mike wrote: »
    Do I sense a hint of jealousy. Are you Austraaaaaaalian. :D

No, Dutch and we are way ahead of the Australians in the medal table :p

You guys have mostly great gold medal winners, but Ainslie winning today would put a bit of tarnish on that greatness (talk about giving English gentlemanship a bad name, he makes Cav look like a choirboy :eek:).
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll not speak ill of one of our finest Olympians, but yeah, Big Ben has got a bit of a temper and is very competitive...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Dutch and we are way ahead of the Australians in the medal table :p

You guys have mostly great gold medal winners, but Ainslie winning today would put a bit of tarnish on that greatness (talk about giving English gentlemanship a bad name, he makes Cav look like a choirboy :eek:).

Awwww if you say so, but it sounds like sour grapes to me. ;)

What about the track cycling... ;)

Although there have been events which I'm sure you've outperformed us on. :)
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,177
    Forum Member
    It's that kind of gritty determination and hunger that gets you gold though. Well that's what I see in a lot of the gold medalists.
  • Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you kidding me? Your countryman is a cheat ganging up on Ben with the Dane forcing him to take a penalty turn. Filthy cheats like your countryman don't deserve medals :mad:.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It seems to me if anyone had behaved poorly it's his rivals, pal....
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a little worried. That Dane is hardcore.