Options

Are You Being Served

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Speaking of which I wonder if BBC2 will be showing Grace and Favour after they've done the complete run of AYBS

I doubt it. For one thing I remember being bloody annoyed the BBC resufed to release this over here so I had to buy a really expensive Australian copy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched a few episodes of Grace and Favour last year on YouTube, but it didn't do much for me. I'm glad I didn't import the box set without seeing it first as I would have been extremely disappointed to have wasted the money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched a few episodes of Grace and Favour last year on YouTube, but it didn't do much for me. I'm glad I didn't import the box set without seeing it first as I would have been extremely disappointed to have wasted the money.

Problem is once you bought the AYBS boxset you have to buy the spinoff.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was there any explanation why Mr. Lucas left?.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    What happened today? There were two new characters and no explanation of where the previous ones went. And they only replaced one of those a short while ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Problem is once you bought the AYBS boxset you have to buy the spinoff.

I have the AYBS box set, I'm just glad I checked out Grace and Favour on YouTube first instead of buying it on DVD on a whim like I nearly did. I would have watched it once before either listing it on eBay or leaving it to gather dust on the shelf.

What does everybody think of the AYBS spin-off film? I was disappointed with that as well.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened today? There were two new characters and no explanation of where the previous ones went. And they only replaced one of those a short while ago.

I don't think there was any explanation. And in the words of Mrs. Slocombe my opinion of todays episode was "Oh how dreadful!".

If this was a current show on the Beeb there'd be uproar at how they've ruined it.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,015
    Forum Member
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Agreed on both points - the show started going rapidly downhill after Trevor Bannister left. Still, many fine moments to enjoy prior to that happening. :)
    For me the funniest part hinged on Mr Lucas (at age circa 40) being the 'junior'. And ... it wasn't the same after Trevor Bannister left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the AYBS box set, I'm just glad I checked out Grace and Favour on YouTube first instead of buying it on DVD on a whim like I nearly did. I would have watched it once before either listing it on eBay or leaving it to gather dust on the shelf.

What does everybody think of the AYBS spin-off film? I was disappointed with that as well.

Wasent the film in the pink boxset?
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Three news characters if you include Old Mr Grace

Mr Grossman the replacent for Mr Goldberg was only on the show for four episodes of Series 8 and HIS replacement, Mr Klein was only the remaining 3 episodes plus the '81 Christmas Special
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Three news characters if you include Old Mr Grace

Mr Grossman the replacent for Mr Goldberg was only on the show for four episodes of Series 8 and HIS replacement, Mr Klein was only the remaining 3 episodes plus the '81 Christmas Special

Yes, Old Mr Grace - who wasn't half as doddery as Young Mr Grace!
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Old Mr Grace - who wasn't half as doddery as Young Mr Grace!

Young Mr Grace was suberb, such amazing comic timing for a guy so near to death's door. RIP Harold Bennett.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'You've all done very well' :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Harold bennet had died and that's why they got in old mr grace,but they both were in Kenneth wallers first episode.so,i wonder why bennet left?
  • Options
    IamnotananorakIamnotananorak Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    I believe that Harold Bennett left due to declining health. In some of his later episodes, did he not appear sitting in a wheelchair.

In one of the last episodes of Dads Army, Harold Bennett appeared as local resident Mr Blewett who was working in the vicars garden and getting disturbed by the Dads Army platoon. In this it appeared that his part was increased to cover the actor who played the verger who was in poor health and died shortly after the series ended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Christmas Crackers, the 1976 Christmas special is being shown tomorrow at 4pm
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I doubt it. For one thing I remember being bloody annoyed the BBC resufed to release this over here so I had to buy a really expensive Australian copy.

I got mine from the US.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The series started to decline in the 80's. Mr Grossman didn't last long neither did his replacement Mr Klein. The final 2 series see Mr Humphries in charge of the men's department with Mr Spooner and no "old" man in charge.

I read somewhere that Trevor Bannister had signed up for a stage play and there was a mix up with dates between the BBC and his agent, so he couldn't continue with the AYBS.

In the documentary the BBC did about it a few years back Mike Berry who played Mr Spooner said his first scripts were meant for the Mr Lucas character but had "Spooner" written over the word "Lucas" in biro. He also said if he had been Trevor Bannister he would have been disappointed with the lack of lines for that series compared to the early ones.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    something i have noticed with are you being served and to a lesser extent allo allo is that any joke involving a gay character is about them being gay.

sometimes i don't get a joke, and i have to stop and think what was funny there, the character is gay, it must have been a gay joke. ah i get it.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas Crackers, the 1976 Christmas special is being shown tomorrow at 4pm

Isn't that the one where Lucas, Humphries and Mr Grainger rehearse Al Jolson's Mammy, to a record player that goes wonky, slowing down and speeding up-which is just one of a number of routine ideas that got reprised, with minor changes, in later series, when they were running out of ideas and started rehashing stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I checked my series link on my V+, there's not another episode due to be recorded until boxing day. I can't see any mention of a Christmas special on tomorrow at 4pm, at least not on BBC1 or BBC2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant believe only Mike Berry & Nicholas Smith are the only 2 remaining cast members alive today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that the one where Lucas, Humphries and Mr Grainger rehearse Al Jolson's Mammy, to a record player that goes wonky, slowing down and speeding up-which is just one of a number of routine ideas that got reprised, with minor changes, in later series, when they were running out of ideas and started rehashing stuff.

No it's the one where they all dressed up in various costumes (Capt. Peacock as a snowman, Mrs Slocombe as Robin Hood, Mr Grainger as Humpty Dumpty, Mr Humphries as Prince Charming, Mr Lucas as Long John Silver and Miss Brahms as a good fairy) and it ended with the cast singing (very badly)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Darts on last week, snooker on this week and bowls on next week....

I know the Mr Spooner era wasn't as funny as the Mr Lucas era but I hope the Beeb gets round to showing the remaining series if just for the sake of completeness
  • Options
    logjamlogjam Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are these episodes going to be aired? No sign of any of the pre-Christmas BBC2 afternoon programmes being continued.