Why won't people adopt black boys?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    One of the Finnish nurses was black, Miss Finland at the time was black, her comments were racist and ignorant.

I actually quite like Diane Abbott, but am the first to admit she often opens her gob before she engages her brain.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    There are plenty of idiots much older who have their opinions formed by the tabloids, as if that's any better.

On the front page of The Sun today: "Boy, 4 Has Mark of Devil".

I saw a man probably in his 50s or 60s walking away with a copy this morning in the newsagents. Go figure.

What a silly thing to say, for all you know he could have bought it for the back page, telly page or whatever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As is par for the course when the summer holidays start, new member starts 'edgy' thread, tests the water with a controversial post, disappears never to be seen in the thread again.

Next step, one-way ticket to ban-camp.
    BIB. This is what I tried to say, but I got ridiculed and hated because I've not been on the forum for long. I'm now afraid to post anything on here. :(

I agree with you Danny (and not with Trollhunter); I think you have been very badly treated on here for doing nothing worse than posting about a story that had just been discussed on the radio. You said nothing controversial, let alone bannable.

It's an interesting topic, and thought provoking. All I can say in explanation for the nasty posts is that the topic of race nearly always goes down badly on this forum.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are rude and nosy and judgmental.
    I can see why (unfortunately) adoptive parents may not want to open themselves up to the questioning that they'll (unfortunately) get from total strangers if they adopt a child of a different ethnicity to themselves.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Dianne Abbott is a silly cow with a large trap.

You forgot to mention how ugly she is.
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you Danny (and not with Trollhunter); I think you have been very badly treated on here for doing nothing worse than posting about a story that had just been discussed on the radio. You said nothing controversial, let alone bannable.

It's an interesting topic, and thought provoking. All I can say in explanation for the nasty posts is that the topic of race nearly always goes down badly on this forum.

Thank you, I love you!

And you have alot of post! you've made my day. :)

Thank god for people like you.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, I love you!

And you have alot of post! you've made my day. :)

Thank god for people like you.

what country are you from?
  • Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be because black boys are more likely to end up in doing crime?

Quite right..there is nothing unsubstantiated,deeply insulting or provaocative at all about a remark like this is there :o

Poor victimised 'Danny Silver' >:(
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it we all know black people are less likely to adopt than whites?

And for some time there has been a reluctance to place black children with white couples because of "cultural differences". As odd as that might seem to many.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite right..there is nothing unsubstantiated,deeply insulting or provaocative at all about a remark like this is there :o

Poor victimised 'Danny Silver' >:(

I think that is a realistic suggestion for the reasons black boys are not seen as popular choices by prospective adopters. (Though of course it is also true that those allocating adoptive children vary wildly in how flexible they are about ethnic matching.)

Still, to take the contentious matter of race out of the equation, boys are far more likely to be convicted of crimes than girls.

And I do think that there is a degree of mismatch between prospective adopters and adoptees; not in every case, obviously, but in some. I have come to this conclusion based on my experience and long conversations with two friends who have adopted. Adoptive parents are skewed towards the middle classes, and adoptees are skewed towards the very deprived. Especially with children past toddlerhood, they have had a lot of life experience already, a lot of it bad. There is something that can cause discord about a child who may already have learning difficulties and behavioural problems coming into the kind of family that has rooms full of bookcases and a much loved piano. All three of us who know each other well enough to discuss it have had a similar feeling: that the adopted child can feel uncomfortable and inferior if their parents' friends' children are all super-academic, keen, confident middle class children, for ever chattering about their out of school activities. And adopting parents, unless properly prepared for this, can start to feel disappointed that all their friends' children seem to be achieving things, getting recognition for those achievements, and later on putting in the groundwork for a good university degree and profession.

You have to be the kind of person who is genuinely relaxed and happy if your adopted child does poorly at school, doesn't behave that well as a teenager, maybe gets pregnant or gets on the wrong side of the law, hopefully in small ways. When I said that there was a mismatch between my parents and my adopted brother, I mean exactly this: after a string of shy, bookish, clever biological children they could not cope at all with the young tearaway who kept having to be collected from the police station, and not always for small things.

I do think the reason for the very long-standing preference for girls is just that: people think that 'disturbed' boys will be a hell of a lot of trouble.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I expect it's the hair. Afro hair can be very hard to manage. I wouldn't know where to start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect it's the hair. Afro hair can be very hard to manage. I wouldn't know where to start.

It is an issue, though presumably not a deal breaker. Black people who have been fostered or adopted sometimes do say that the person looking after them had no idea how to make their hair look nice.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Maybe the question should be "why are there a disproportionate number of black children up for adoption?"

Yes - shouldn't that be the issue asked first. Because its disproportionately high compared to other ethnic groups. Surely it's the parents who are the issue - not the adopters.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Yes - shouldn't that be the issue asked first. Because its disproportionately high compared to other ethnic groups. Surely it's the parents who are the issue - not the adopters.
    Adoptions from Care:

3,980 children were adopted from care during the year ending 31st March 2013, compared to 3,470 in 2012.

The average age at adoption in the year ending 31st March 2013 was 3 years 8 months

2% (90) of children adopted during the year ending 31st March 2013 were under 1 year old
    74% (2,960) were aged between 1 and 4 years old
    21% (850) were aged between 5 and 9 years old
    2% (70) were aged between 10 and 15 years old
    <1% (10) were aged 16 and over

51% (2,010) of children adopted during the year ending 31st March 2013 were boys and 49% (1,970) were girls.

Ethnicity

78% (53,030) of children looked after on 31st March 2013 were white
    9% (6,090) were of mixed racial background
    4% (2,620) were Asian or Asian British
    7% (4,470) were Black or Black British
    2% (1,390) were from other ethnic groups
    1% (500) were other (refused or information not yet available)

Statistics: England (BAAF: Adopting & Fostering) http://www.baaf.org.uk/res/statengland

It's interesting that it doesn't list a statistic for children with disabilities, the least-likely group to be adopted. Especially those with additional disabilities.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    People are rude and nosy and judgmental.
    I can see why (unfortunately) adoptive parents may not want to open themselves up to the questioning that they'll (unfortunately) get from total strangers if they adopt a child of a different ethnicity to themselves.

Makes no difference. My biological mother is a blue-eyed white blonde and when we were out in public, people asked her all the time if I was adopted. My biological father is ethnically Japanese and people asked him if I was adopted. :D

People also assumed he was mixed race and/or adopted because he's 6' 2" (his British ethnically Japanese father was 6' 4" and his British ethnically Japanese mother is 5' 2"). People do have funny notions about how people should look.

Edited:
    Forgot to say that my white cousin has brown eyes and brown hair, and her parents and siblings are blue-eyed blondes. She has been asked almost all her life if she was adopted. So it affects some white people as well.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    I suppose someone had to say it sooner or later...

Let's wait for the backlash now ;-)

The blacklash surely?
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Makes no difference. My biological mother is a blue-eyed white blonde and when we were out in public, people asked her all the time if I was adopted. My biological father is ethnically Japanese and people asked him if I was adopted. :D

People also assumed he was mixed race and/or adopted because he's 6' 2" (his British ethnically Japanese father was 6' 4" and his British ethnically Japanese mother is 5' 2"). People do have funny notions about how people should look.

Edited:
    Forgot to say that my white cousin has brown eyes and brown hair, and her parents and siblings are blue-eyed blondes. She has been asked almost all her life if she was adopted. So it affects some white people as well.

It does make a difference to some people... Having a child of a different ethinicity to yourself or having 2 (or more) children who appear to be of different ethnicities makes total strangers think that they can ask you all sorts of questions, and interrogate your children for an explanation. Adopters may not want to open themselves up to that scrutiny and rudeness from random people.

I have 2 mixed-race children, my 5 year old son looks white and has blond hair whereas my 3 year old daughter has much darker skin and afro hair. Adults have told my son that his sister can't really be his sister and that she must be adopted, my son has been called stupid by children in the park for believing that my daughter is his sister.

I've been questioned (and called names) by total strangers in the street about why I have 2 children of different ethnicities especially given the age gap.

They're my biological children and so the fact that they look so different despite both having the same backgrounds is purely down to pot-luck, I can see though why people who get to make a choice about their childrens ethnicities would try to minimise the questioning that they and the kids could come to face.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I would like to adopt a child please, no not that one, I want a black one" Sounds odd, which is why people perhaps rarely ask.

Not to mention adoption agencies tend to keep people to their own race, as to try to retain some level of identity. I think thats wrong but then I am not all knowing, but it is the way it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one in my immediate family has ever really given a shit about other peoples opinions regarding the matter of our difference in colour. We're not embarrassed about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    double post
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Maybe the people who would rather adopt a child of their own colour are the same sort of people who would rather marry/have a relationship with someone of their own colour?

If I were to adopt, I know that I'd definitely would feel reluctant about adopting a nonwhite child, simply because they wouldn't feel as much mine if they weren't white.

That is probably the reason why it is rare for black parents to adopt a white child.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB. This is what I tried to say, but I got ridiculed and hated because I've not been on the forum for long. I'm now afraid to post anything on here. :(

Good points wd :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black folks (and I know many) just don't like `Whitey` adopting their unwanted offspring
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    "I would like to adopt a child please, no not that one, I want a black one" Sounds odd, which is why people perhaps rarely ask.

A bit like Waynetta Slob wanting a "brahn baby".:D