Options

Why won't people adopt black boys?

Comments

• Options
    My usernamesMy usernames Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ignorant, offensive attitudes in some of these posts explain why black children are better off NOT being adopted by some white people if they could be exposed to such attitudes.
    Young people go into care for lots of reasons such as the death of a parent
    Perhaps people want to adopt children who can pass as their own to avoid explaining to all and sundry why they had to adopt
    I'm not sure if all adoption should be same ethnicity but it may be preferable than being adopted by the kind of people who show the kind of stupid ignorance evident in this thread
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 75,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Dianne Abbott doesn't even want white nurses caring for black patients.

Dianne Abbott is a silly cow with a large trap.
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    I see the OP is 17. Lord knows what they are teaching schools these days but if kids nowadays are forming their opinions off television then I for one no longer want to be on this planet.

There are plenty of idiots much older who have their opinions formed by the tabloids, as if that's any better.

On the front page of The Sun today: "Boy, 4 Has Mark of Devil".

I saw a man probably in his 50s or 60s walking away with a copy this morning in the newsagents. Go figure.
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ignorant, offensive attitudes in some of these posts explain why black children are better off NOT being adopted by some white people if they could be exposed to such attitudes.
    Young people go into care for lots of reasons such as the death of a parent
    Perhaps people want to adopt children who can pass as their own to avoid explaining to all and sundry why they had to adopt
    I'm not sure if all adoption should be same ethnicity but it may be preferable than being adopted by the kind of people who show the kind of stupid ignorance evident in this thread

It's all too common on this board I'm afraid.

But yes I agree with what you say.
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    There are plenty of idiots much older who have their opinions formed by the tabloids, as if that's any better.

On the front page of The Sun today: "Boy, 4 Has Mark of Devil".

I saw a man probably in his 50s or 60s walking away with a copy this morning in the newsagents. Go figure.

I read that in the cafe this morning, was a bit Sunday Sport, slow news day?
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yep larger than her mouth I bet
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    I understand you mean history. I should have been more specific I meant the problems that we are experiencing now. Sorry I did not make myself so clear. The irony is that these men who have made so much money ie Snoop dog or whatever he is calling himself now, have very strong family units.

No, I mean a number of young men - regardless of ethnicity - has always been violent towards each other. Football hooligans, pub brawls, gangs, school fights, nightclub fights and so on.

I don't see what's so ironic about Snoop Dogg being a family man, though. There's a huge number of family men, regardless of ethnicity, who make a living from their anti-social public personas in entertainment. (Edited: Just discovered his current name is Snoop Lion. Heheh.)

I don't see the relevance, to be honest. There's been a number of hardened criminals who're family-oriented. The Kray brothers, the Messina brothers, the Adams brothers, the Arif brothers and the Richardson brothers, anyone? :D All those men--notorious for being violent gangsters--were devoted to their families.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And from many of her comments I would say a racist , if a white person made the comments she did in reverse I am pretty sure we would see complaints made to the police about it , she thinks it is ok to say what she pleases .
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well...in for a penny, in for a pound etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvDcqVpnrPc
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    We took in our late niece(white) with little problem with the authorities however when we took in our nephews (black mixed race sri Lankan) we found great opposition to us from SS. Quite a fight to get them to allow us to keep them despite they couldn't offer them another home. They seemed to prefer they went into a children's home than stay with us. We won in the end but not sure we would have chosen to fight like that if they hadn't already been here with us and well loved members of our family.
    That's an absolute disgrace that SS didn't want your nephews to stay with their own family! Really glad you won the fight, but as you said, you shouldn't have even been put through it in the first place. Bloody imbeciles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well...in for a penny, in for a pound etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvDcqVpnrPc

Good clip. Not seen that film before.
  • Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    how can a child have a culture/history, its like claiming people are born christians/muslims

seems near racism to me

?????? :o
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    You need to turn this question on its head and ask why social services would not and sometime still do not allow white couples to adopt ethnic children.

Because apparently it leaves them culturally confused.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I cannot abide Diane Abbott but surely that can't be completely true???
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julia Hartley-Brewer is talking to the British association of adoption and fostering on LBC radio and asking why.

My sister adopt a black boy 5 years ago.
    Truth is Britain still habours a lot of racism. Racism is ingrained in Britian much like fish and chips. It is disturbing people can't see beyond skin clour
    DS is proof of that, there are many openly racist posts on here and no action is taken. To me, DS is no different to the BNP or the EDL forums.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the question should be "why are there a disproportionate number of black children up for adoption?"
    I guess partly because any non-white child, even if three quarters white, is classified as black.
    rbdcay wrote: »
    The truth in that is astounding *sarcasm alert*.

But how does that stop them from adopting a child of a different ethnicity or are you saying they should only adopt within their own race?
    I think it can be a bit of an issue. My adopted brother is not white, and I think every time in our lives that I have introduced him to someone as my brother he has added the word 'adopted'. I just think he feels embarrassed if I don't explain, as if people will start whispering, "Did she say brother? How very odd." And when my parents made feeble attempts to interest him in what you might call his ethnic culture, he was very hostile; again, I think he found it embarrassing.

That doesn't sound very likely. What exactly did she say?

Everyone has focused on the race side of this question, but the gender side is interesting. I think it has always been true - certainly for decades - that there is a disproportionate number of adoptive parents wanting girls. Presumably most people accept with a good grace whatever gender they get in their biological children, but there is a very noticeable preference for girls when people are applying to adopt. And I think there IS a strong fear that adopted boys will be trouble: aggressive or even criminal. This is so pronounced that it has even been noticed in India, a country where the birth of a son is generally much more highly valued than that of a daughter.

When my parents adopted my brother, it was so difficult to place non-white boys that a special appeal was circulated to church ministers to consider taking one as part of their Christian charity. Which my parents did. It doesn't sound great; I am fond of the young wippersnapper, but would be the first to admit that there was always a mismatch between him and my parents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    I cannot abide Diane Abbott but surely that can't be completely true???

In 1996 she said "blonde, blue-eyed Finnish girls" in her local hospital in east London were unsuitable as nurses because they had "never met a black person before".

This was supported by Bernie Grant the former MP for Tottenham who said:

"She is quite right," he said. "Bringing someone here from Finland who has never seen a black person before and expecting them to have some empathy with black people is nonsense. Scandinavian people don't know black people - they probably don't know how to take their temperature."

Racism and ignorance on both counts, Scandinavian countries have very open immigration policies and there's lots of black people in Scandinavia, especially Sweden.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    In 1996 she said "blonde, blue-eyed Finnish girls" in her local hospital in east London were unsuitable as nurses because they had "never met a black person before".

This was supported by Bernie Grant the former MP for Tottenham who said:

"She is quite right," he said. "Bringing someone here from Finland who has never seen a black person before and expecting them to have some empathy with black people is nonsense. Scandinavian people don't know black people - they probably don't know how to take their temperature."

Racism and ignorance on both counts.

wasn`t he being sarcastic? that`s how it reads.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That can't possibly be paraphrased as that she didn't want white nurses looking after black patients. It can only be paraphrased as her not wanting nurses who had never met a black person before working in hospitals with a high proportion of black patients.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wasn`t he being sarcastic? that`s how it reads.

Unfortunately not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That can't possibly be paraphrased as that she didn't want white nurses looking after black patients. It can only be paraphrased as her not wanting nurses who had never met a black person before working in hospitals with a high proportion of black patients.

One of the Finnish nurses was black, Miss Finland at the time was black, her comments were racist and ignorant.
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess partly because any non-white child, even if three quarters white, is classified as black.

I think it can be a bit of an issue. My adopted brother is not white, and I think every time in our lives that I have introduced him to someone as my brother he has added the word 'adopted'. I just think he feels embarrassed if I don't explain, as if people will start whispering, "Did she say brother? How very odd." And when my parents made feeble attempts to interest him in what you might call his ethnic culture, he was very hostile; again, I think he found it embarrassing.

That doesn't sound very likely. What exactly did she say?

Everyone has focused on the race side of this question, but the gender side is interesting. I think it has always been true - certainly for decades - that there is a disproportionate number of adoptive parents wanting girls. Presumably most people accept with a good grace whatever gender they get in their biological children, but there is a very noticeable preference for girls when people are applying to adopt. And I think there IS a strong fear that adopted boys will be trouble: aggressive or even criminal. This is so pronounced that it has even been noticed in India, a country where the birth of a son is generally much more highly valued than that of a daughter.

When my parents adopted my brother, it was so difficult to place non-white boys that a special appeal was circulated to church ministers to consider taking one as part of their Christian charity. Which my parents did. It doesn't sound great; I am fond of the young wippersnapper, but would be the first to admit that there was always a mismatch between him and my parents.

BIB. This is what I tried to say, but I got ridiculed and hated because I've not been on the forum for long. I'm now afraid to post anything on here. :(
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately not.

:o:o:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o:o:o:o

He was a well-respected MP who died in 2000 but that was a bizarre comment, and now he's dead we'll probably never find out how to take black people's temperatures.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She did also say

"The hospital should have taken on Caribbean staff - they know the language, British culture and institutions

What choose the Caribbean why not Australia, New Zealand, Canada etc etc . personally I don't care where a Nurse comes from as long as they can communicate with the patient and can do their job.

The lady has an agenda and whilst constantly being told to apologise does not change , this attitude these days would never be accepted from a white MP yet she merrily carries on .