Options

The Walking Dead (UK Pace) NO SPOILERS!!!!

Comments

• Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    XIII wrote: »
    Could they have afforded to leave a weapon or ammo behind though?

They offered him a small pistol but he declined saying that they would need it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    XIII wrote: »
    Could they have afforded to leave a weapon or ammo behind though?

No, so he should have been dealt with. In that world a bullet to the head would have been the kindest thing. Can hardly believe I'm writing this stuff!:eek:
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Sure, but that just raises the question of why the others didn't at least try to persuade him to let them do the right thing and end his life before he turns into the very thing that ate his family.
    It seemed to me they didn't have the stomach for it. At that point he was still rational, still Jim, so it would have been murder. Especially if there was a chance of getting to CDC in time to find him a cure. Much of the show is about the ways in which they try to preserve their humanity, and this was a line they wouldn't cross. A bit like zombies of strangers they burned, but zombies of their friends they buried. Or like that girl not wanting to shoot her sister in the head until after she'd turned.

In any case, it's probably a plot point. That guy in CDC just burned all his fresh samples, so they will probably go back and collect Jim to replace them. If they'd killed him, he wouldn't be so fresh.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, the zombie bite causes death, but at some point after death the brain "restarts" -- but just enough so that body can move and act on certain primitive instincts.
    But I assume that the zombie "infection" at time of death is required in order to rise again as a zombie.

If after the zombie apocalypse you died from falling off a cliff or being hit by a car would you rise as a zombie or not?

What about if after you died a zombie came along and bit your corpse, would it then get up?

What if a zombie found it self in a morgue and bit a chilled and well preserved corpse who had died two weeks before. Would a new zombie arise?

What about a zombie digging up a decomposing corpse in the graveyard and tucking in. Icky, dripping walker?

[Frankly the zombie is a very badly designed organism, it's food source is living people but after biting them their food source stops being a food source and becomes another zombie competing for limited resources. Thus as time goes on more and more zombies compete for less and less food... :D]
  • Options
    johnson293johnson293 Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    But I assume that the zombie "infection" at time of death is required in order to rise again as a zombie.

If after the zombie apocalypse you died from falling off a cliff or being hit by a car would you rise as a zombie or not?

What about if after you died a zombie came along and bit your corpse, would it then get up?

What if a zombie found it self in a morgue and bit a chilled and well preserved corpse who had died two weeks before. Would a new zombie arise?

What about a zombie digging up a decomposing corpse in the graveyard and tucking in. Icky, dripping walker?

[Frankly the zombie is a very badly designed organism, it's food source is living people but after biting them their food source stops being a food source and becomes another zombie competing for limited resources. Thus as time goes on more and more zombies compete for less and less food... :D]

In the zombie 'rules' created by Geroge A Romero, which TWD appears to be following, then you become a zombie however you die (though this hasn't been shown on the TV series yet - only death by bite has been shown to make them return so far).

If you are bitten by a zombie, the infection doesn't turn you into a zombie, it just kills you. But once you die, you will return.

If you die in a car crash, or run over by a bus or killed in any other way which doesn't involve massive head trauma or bullet to the head, then you will return as a zombie.

If you died and a zombie bit you afterwards, it wouldn't make a difference... you'd be coming back anyway.

However, there seems to be a point at which a zombie will not attack/eat a dead body, so the chances of a zombie eating an already dead body are slim, unlkess it was very freshly dead.... but once it began to come back, the zombie would probably lose interest anyway, as they dont eat each other (this is mentioned in the original Dawn of the Dead).
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnson293 wrote: »
    In the zombie 'rules' created by Geroge A Romero, which TWD appears to be following, then you become a zombie however you die (though this hasn't been shown on the TV series yet - only death by bite has been shown to make them return so far).

If you are bitten by a zombie, the infection doesn't turn you into a zombie, it just kills you. But once you die, you will return.

If you die in a car crash, or run over by a bus or killed in any other way which doesn't involve massive head trauma or bullet to the head, then you will return as a zombie.

If you died and a zombie bit you afterwards, it wouldn't make a difference... you'd be coming back anyway.

However, there seems to be a point at which a zombie will not attack/eat a dead body, so the chances of a zombie eating an already dead body are slim, unlkess it was very freshly dead.... but once it began to come back, the zombie would probably lose interest anyway, as they dont eat each other (this is mentioned in the original Dawn of the Dead).

I was wondering how the half woman zombie who was in the 1st show actually managed to function?
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnson293 wrote: »
    So in effect there are two unconnected events happening simultaneously.

The first is a "something" (be it a curse/infection/biohazard/nanotechnology/judgement from God) that returns dead people to life as the Walking Dead however they died.

2. A contagion carried by the bite of the zombie that kills you (like a very intense form of rabies) but can be defeated through amputation.

So if the first existed without the other you could have dead people walking about but their bite would be no more life threatening than any bite from a wild animal (though obviously having your throat ripped out is still deadly).

Damned unlucky to have both at once :D
  • Options
    johnson293johnson293 Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The first is a "something" (be it a curse/infection/biohazard/nanotechnology/judgement from God) that returns dead people to life as the Walking Dead however they died.

Yes.
    2. A contagion carried by the bite of the zombie that kills you (like a very intense form of rabies) but can be defeated through amputation.

That is what is assumed (amputating a limb before the infection spreads) but in most of the Romero films, this has never been shown to be affective. The guy in 'Day of the Dead' who gets bitten then has his arm removed still appears to have an infection fever, but he meets a nasty end (of his own choosing) before anyway, so you never see if it worked.
    So if the first existed without the other you could have dead people walking about but their bite would be no more life threatening than any bite from a wild animal (though obviously having your throat ripped out is still deadly).

Yes, but if the first existed, you'd still have this unknown 'curse/infection/biohazard/nanotechnology/judgement from God' that makes dead bodies return and become zombies, reagrdless of the bite of the zombie.

Thats what makes these zombie stories (the Romero ones and TWD) more 'frightening' - that you will become one of them eventually, even if you avoid being bitten, as no 'cure' ever seems to be shown in the films.

Ha ha...agreed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is there evidence for this in the programme? Have people become zombies without being bitten by a zombie? Who?

My impression is that sometimes zombies kill you quickly, eg by tearing your throat out. If you don't die quickly, your own blood circulation carries the infection from the bite site to your brain. This leads to a fever, and eventually death. Some time after death you come back as a zombie. The thing that kills you is the same thing that brings you back, so there's no coincidence.

Edit: I'm talking about the TV series here. I'm not interested in the comics or Romero's work. I gather the CDC section, where we see a scientist researching the zombie disease, is a departure from the comic.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I think in TWD world, a disease has been released that somehow turned most of the southern US' population into zombies, and that this zombies pass on the disease by bitin humans. If the zombie doesn't rip 'em to shreds, the poor victim
    dies and then turns into a zombie.

I'm not really familar with most of Romero's films, although did enjoy "Land of the Dead". I wouldn't be surprised if TWD's zombies start getting cleverer at catching humans in the next series. :eek:
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    No, the zombie bite causes death, but at some point after death the brain "restarts" -- but just enough so that body can move and act on certain primitive instincts. The "person" that used to exist inside the brain is gone.

So the body lives, but the mind-where the "person" who used to be part of that body-is gone forever. This is both an interesting idea and quite a disturbing one- the scene where Andrea had to shooting her zombified sister Amy was both horrific and sad. :(
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the body lives, but the mind-where the "person" who used to be part of that body-is gone forever. This is both an interesting idea and quite a disturbing one- the scene where Andrea had to shooting her zombified sister Amy was both horrific and sad. :(

Did you see the alternative (funny) way to deal with it at the end of Shaun of the Dead?
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recall seeing anything in the series indicating that zombi-fication occurs any other way than by being bitten by a zombie, but I'm happy to be proved wrong...

I also thought they were trying to imply that zombies do retain some memories, hence the zombie mom staying close to her family's home in the 2nd episode... there also seemed to be some "significant" lingering shots of a few zombies in Atlanta that had me thinking we'd see more of them later, plus implications that zombies can learn, e.g. to use rocks as tools. I'm sure all this will be developed in S2...

And I can't believe that Jim won't return in some way (Merle too, of course!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well. That was rather anti climatic.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EIwood wrote: »

Indeed, I thought there was more mileage in the Dr and the underground lab.
    I liked how when they all drove off, they did proper U turns and drove on the right side of the road.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    EIwood wrote: »

Especially for a Season Finale, I didn't realise it was the end of the season - just thought they were stopping for Christmas - but when the announcer said at the end that the new season will be out later next year, I thought it wasn't a good closer of a season and felt a little deflated.

Good episode but not a finale episode.
  • Options
    GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,815
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it personally.

I think it ended that way simply because, at the time of production, it wasn't definite that there would be a further season . It would have been pointless to leave it with a cliff hanger if the option hadn't been picked up to make further episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gillypoots wrote: »
    I enjoyed it personally.

I think it ended that way simply because, at the time of production, it wasn't definite that there would be a further season . It would have been pointless to leave it with a cliff hanger if the option hadn't been picked up to make further episodes.

But in a way it was a cliff hanger, because no one knows what has caused this and why, and just had them toodling away.

If this didn't get another season it would have been a very unsatisfactory ending indeed. Luckily it wasn't the end of the show and so things can be tied up and the story can be weaved into a more glorious tapestry.

Maybe I have been spoilt but with a finale I expect just a little more bang for my buck. It doesn't need a cliffhanger but it is an end of a season I expect something a little more climatic. As I said it was another good episode and I enjoyed it but I was surprised that this was the Finale.
  • Options
    GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,815
    Forum Member
    But in a way it was a cliff hanger, because no one knows what has caused this and why, and just had them toodling away.

If this didn't get another season it would have been a very unsatisfactory ending indeed. Luckily it wasn't the end of the show and so things can be tied up and the story can be weaved into a more glorious tapestry.

Maybe I have been spoilt but with a finale I expect just a little more bang for my buck. It doesn't need a cliffhanger but it is an end of a season I expect something a little more climatic. As I said it was another good episode and I enjoyed it but I was surprised that this was the Finale.

Surely that has been the whole point of the series. There are many unexplained and surprising occurrences.

You have the mystery of what happened to Merle.

What instinct caused Jim to dig the graves?

How did the Zombie disease start?

The bio hazard unit was just another instance of a world turned topsy turvy and the survivors just have to pick their way through the chaos, sometimes without definitive reasons or answers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member

I agree, I would have liked the CDC facility to have been given more of a story. perhaps the power going off could have caused the doors to open and lead to a few good chases/more action.

Will be looking forward to this returning in the new year, however if the action does not pick up then I don't imagine I will be watching much longer, don't get me wrong I think its one of the best things on TV but it's hardly thrilling watching people sit and talk/get emotional for an hour - as happened in the penultimate episode.
  • Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit that whilst I enjoyed watching this series, overall I'm left disappointed for some reason. Yesterday's episode was a bit anti climatic. I will watch the next series but if it was a choice between watching that or one of my other favourite shows it would lose out. Friday nights I prefer watching The Event.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And what was going on with the helicopter Rick saw in the first episode, if he wasn't mistaken.

I hope they revisit Merle and the helicopter. I'm not so bothered about Jim - it seems likely that the situation got on top of him. It's a mystery mainly because the show didn't so as good a job at showing his back story as the comic apparently did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The way I see it the survivors are the Walking Dead and not the Zombies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surely that has been the whole point of the series. There are many unexplained and surprising occurrences.

The bio hazard unit was just another instance of a world turned topsy turvy and the survivors just have to pick their way through the chaos, sometimes without definitive reasons or answers.

I think your missing my point - You said they did it this way because they didn't know they were going to get another season - if they didn't get another season then so many questions would have been left unanswered.

I also used these as an example of a cliffhanger - you said there wasn't one when there was a sort of cliffhanger that left you wondering.

The show is a brilliant one and the episode was a good one, but as a finale it didn't do it for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have any theories as to what the dr said to Rick (he pulled him and spoke in his ear) just before they left the CDC?