Options

Corbyn had train seat while pretending to be on the floor

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    You get to see York Minster and the Angel of the North too. Not at the same time.

Even nationalised trains wouldn't manage that
  • Options
    gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    Javed wrote: »
    I think anyone else would employ proper PR professionals rather than Emma from Momentum to handle their message so that he doesn't make so many gaffes. ......
    Meanwhile, Owen Smith tweeted that his campaign "remains on track". However, by the end of the day news emerged that during a campaign event, he had said:
    “At a hustings a few weeks ago, Jeremy Corbyn said, ‘Yes we’ve got to get some of the people who contemplated voting Tory in the past to vote Labour.’ Rubbish! We’ve got to get two million people who actually voted Tory, 12 months ago, to vote Labour, in 106 seats.

“And what you won’t get from me, is some, you know, lunatic at the top of the Labour Party, you’ll have someone who tries to form a coherent narrative about what’s wrong with Britain.”

This was somewhat embarrassing, because Owen had pledged a few days' earlier to put mental health at the top of Labour's agenda if he were elected. The Labour campaign for Mental Health immediately issued a statement expressing that they were "... saddened to see the term "lunatic", a term with a long history of abuse toward those with mental illness, has been used in this contest as a term of derision against a colleague" and urged Owen to apologise.

Owen did, indeed, apologise- whilst he had wanted to “smash” Theresa May “back on her heels” only a month earlier, on this occasion we were assured that he was talking about himself and not implying that the Party Leader was a "lunatic".

Indeed, when Jeremy & Owen met at the Labour Party hustings 2 days' later, Owen was still sorry. In his defence he advised the audience, Jeremy had used the word 23 years' ago.

Can you tell me the name of the PR Professionals who have admitted to advising Owen Smith how to handle this matter? ;-)
  • Options
    JavedJaved Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    gs1 wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Owen Smith tweeted that his campaign "remains on track". However, by the end of the day news emerged that during a campaign event, he had said:

This was somewhat embarrassing, because Owen had pledged a few days' earlier to put mental health at the top of Labour's agenda if he were elected. The Labour campaign for Mental Health immediately issued a statement expressing that they were "... saddened to see the term "lunatic", a term with a long history of abuse toward those with mental illness, has been used in this contest as a term of derision against a colleague" and urged Owen to apologise.

Owen did, indeed, apologise- whilst he had wanted to “smash” Theresa May “back on her heels” only a month earlier, on this occasion we were assured that he was talking about himself and not implying that the Party Leader was a "lunatic".

Indeed, when Jeremy & Owen met at the Labour Party hustings 2 days' later, Owen was still sorry. In his defence he advised the audience, Jeremy had used the word 23 years' ago.

Can you tell me the name of the PR Professionals who have admitted to advising Owen Smith how to handle this matter? ;-)

I dunno who advises Smith, possibly no-one. He is just a backbencher so he has no taxpayer funded staff to manage PR for him. Corbyn on the other hand employs Seamus Milne his Director of Communications at c£93,000 per annum, I believe.

I don't think Corbyn is getting his money's worth is he?

Though if your point was that Smith is a numpty, I agree wholeheartedly! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think Jeremy is a lunatic but he does have a short fuse and can be very passive aggressive and sarcastic. Some have compared him to The High Sparrow....I couldn't possibly comment ^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Even nationalised trains wouldn't manage that

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    More like Rosie the robot maid in The Jetsons :D

" everything must be clean, very clean"

As a clean freak, I approve :)

Cleanliness is next to godliness after all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dunno who advises Smith, possibly no-one. He is just a backbencher so he has no taxpayer funded staff to manage PR for him. .... :)
    He was just the Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions until he resigned. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He was just the Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions until he resigned. :D

He was, that is true. But now he is just a backbencher, as are all the household names. No idea who does that job now, but whoever it is needs to make their mark very quickly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    - Virgin Trains "seek to defuse the row":
    -Jeremy Corbyn "right to point out the need to introduce more trains on our route"
    - seating capacity out of King’s Cross to increase by 28% at peak times from 2018.
    -leaked document warns that CCTV images will only be made available to the media in connection with criminal investigation or railway safety.

Full article:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/28/virgin-broke-rules-releasing-corbyn-cctv-document?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..............-leaked document warns that CCTV images will only be made available to the media in connection with criminal investigation or railway safety.

Someone had better warn Channel 4. They make what they claim is a genuine show, not scripted, called, I believe "Hunted".

They have a team of experts trying to find a set of volunteers who get a start, and can then go anywhere they want.

One of their "tools" is that this team has live access to all the CCTV feeds in the UK (plus the cameras at every ATM) . Not only that, but they can find their wanted individuals within a few minutes of their appearing on a feed.

How many viewers of the programme will now believe that it's genuine?
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Tories suggested anything that could be interpreted as censorship the world would go mad.

But now we have people saying Virgin shouldn't be allowed to produce CCTV evidence (with faces pixilated, which I know didn't happen at first in this case) as it harms democracy etc.

Virgin should be allowed to use evidence to protect its reputation IMO. It must, however, prevent a repeat of the issuing of photos without protecting others. That could land it in trouble, but it shouldn't mean it can never do the same thing again.

Still, it seems some people don't mind censorship if it suits them.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just had a thought, when Jezza tells us his rallies are packed, can we believe him any more? ;)

In fact I've just found a photo of one of his rallies: http://static.tumblr.com/d0120b88a8c46350e1e5aae5cdbcf8b4/epryms9/iZdmsimrc/tumblr_static_mil_akview.jpg

He was late arriving for that rally too, as the roads were just as ram-packed: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cq--Uy8WIAEA6mS.jpg
    http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01216/g2_1216027i.jpg
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the anti-Corbyn people who've perpetuated this thread. Aren't they bored yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Virgin should be allowed to use evidence to protect its reputation IMO. ......
    The principle of being allowed to protect your reputation isn't in dispute, but we're all restricted in the methods that we can use. The question is a much narrower one, as to whether passing CCTV footage/information to the media and/or posting it on the internet is a lawful method of doing so- as opposed to, say, a libel or defamation claim in a court where a judge might permit the CCTV footage as evidence. The Information Commissioner's Office will consider that, as they're the independent authority responsible for upholding the legislation.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect no action will be taken, except perhaps for the first photo releases that weren't edited. That was stupid on the part of Virgin.

If that happens, I'm sure it will be spun that Corbyn and Co came out victorious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As I posted earlier, the ICO normally only take enforcement action in "severe cases", so the most likely outcome is advice, which may be published to clarify to others, whether it is ever likely to be acceptable for a data controller to release CCTV footage/information in such circumstances.

The issue of others being identifiable is a clear breach, in my view, but the probability of enforcement action quite low- especially if there is no evidence that it caused actual damage to any of the individuals.
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    I dunno who advises Smith, possibly no-one. :)

Possibly Lord Sugar?

Who said "In an article for the Sunday Times, he wrote: ‘Under Corbyn, the lunatics have truly taken over the asylum.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3556934/You-loonies-Lord-Sugar-blasts-Corbyn-s-Labour-claiming-lunatics-truly-taken-asylum.html#ixzz4IgVldWlO
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mungobrush wrote: »
    Possibly Lord Sugar?

Who said "In an article for the Sunday Times, he wrote: ‘Under Corbyn, the lunatics have truly taken over the asylum.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3556934/You-loonies-Lord-Sugar-blasts-Corbyn-s-Labour-claiming-lunatics-truly-taken-asylum.html#ixzz4IgVldWlO
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I wouldn't have thought Sugar would have much time for Smith but it might have sowed the seed in Smith's mind. He has a habit of shooting from the lip, which does him no favours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .................The issue of others being identifiable is a clear breach, in my view, but the probability of enforcement action quite low- especially if there is no evidence that it caused actual damage to any of the individuals.

This is something I've never understood about the DPA and CCTV. In what way are the passengers identifiable? We've no idea who they are, so how is the fact that they're on a train 'personal data'?

Not to mention that, if the judgement in Durkin v FSA (2003) still stands, data isn't 'personal' simply because it's about a person. The database (used in a loose sense) needs to be searchable by identity. This is clearly not the case with CCTV.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    This is something I've never understood about the DPA and CCTV. In what way are the passengers identifiable? We've no idea who they are, so how is the fact that they're on a train 'personal data'?

Not to mention that, if the judgement in Durkin v FSA (2003) still stands, data isn't 'personal' simply because it's about a person. The database (used in a loose sense) needs to be searchable by identity. This is clearly not the case with CCTV.

BIB, we might not know them but there will be people somewhere who will.

What if one of those passengers had booked a day off work because they were supposed to be ill ?

Being shown on that train could lose them their job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What if one of those passengers had booked a day off work because they were supposed to be ill ?

While that's true (and it hadn't actually occurred to me until today) , that still relies on someone who knows the individual, and cares about them being on the train, actually seeing the tape.

And recognising them, of course. The recording wasn't of particularly high quality, which is what you'd expect of CCTV. (Unless it's for reading car number plates, of course, then somehow it's high resolution).

However, it's a valid point, and supports why the DPA applies to CCTV.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While that's true (and it hadn't actually occurred to me until today) , that still relies on someone who knows the individual, and cares about them being on the train, actually seeing the tape.

And recognising them, of course. The recording wasn't of particularly high quality, which is what you'd expect of CCTV. (Unless it's for reading car number plates, of course, then somehow it's high resolution).

However, it's a valid point, and supports why the DPA applies to CCTV.

IMO with all the publicity that has surrounded these tapes and photos I would think it quite possible that there is a very good chance that the people in them will be recognised, especially in the unpixilated images.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It would show that one lie revealed another lie. They could blame Corbyn.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Did you mean Durant v FSA, which was about whether the mention of a person in documents made them the data subject if they were not the the focus of attention?

In which case, the distinction is between a right of access to data by an individual and the release of data to the media and/or a public audience, rather than whether they are the "data subject"?

The CCTV Code of Practice has been designed, in my opinion, to reflect a specific public concern about privacy; so that footage may only be used for a narrow set of purposes, such as crime prevention, public safety etc.

I agree with the points made by gummy mummy. The wider something is circulated, the more likely it is that somebody is identifiable to another person, and the example is a good one- an employer identifying the whereabouts of an employee, when the employee does not want that to be known.

Legislation isn't always straightforward to understand; however, in this instance, Virgin Trains could have made their point about Jeremy Corbyn without anybody else being identifiable; so good practice (effective blurring of other people) would have avoided the question about others in the images being raised, with little effort on the part of Virgin Trains. :)
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRM wrote: »
    It's the anti-Corbyn people who've perpetuated this thread. Aren't they bored yet?

Actually the people responsible for this thread are Jeremy Corbyn and Momentum