Options

Favourite Hollyoaks Character 2014 [Results Thread]

yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,533
Forum Member
So after 4 rounds, your Favourite Hollyoaks Character 2014 will start to be revealed. But before we get to the top 10 as just ranked by you, we will count down the 50 characters that were included this year.

Last year there were 54 characters, this year there are 50 – a massive 20 of them being New Entries!

Last year Brendan retook the crown, with Mitzeee in 2nd place and Jacqui in 3rd. However this year none of those top 3 characters are in the show (like the majority of last years list)

Note the characters will be posted 1 by 1 with a bit of commentary – don’t take it to heart if you like a character and I don’t. Also included will be where the character was in last years rankings in brackets – so you can see if the charcter has risen or fallen year on year

In case you forgot how to vote here is the final vote thread 2014 - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1939017&highlight=

2013 Results Thread - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1939017&highlight=

2012 Results Thread - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1627950

2011 Results Thread - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1436183

So sit back enjoy the results reveal....the results will begin in about 10 minutes

Comments

• Options
    winter99winter99 Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look forward to this :) Well done on all your hard work :)
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait :)

Thanks for all your hard work, yohinnchild :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK so to kick things off...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    50 [NE] = Vincent Elegba = 3.67% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-X-X-50)

So no-bodies favourite gay asylum seeker comes bottom of the pile this year and joins the list of bottom placed characters which currently holds Liberty Savage, Dirk Savage and Jim McGinn. Funnily 2 of them have performed really well this year and I guess shows that if characters are used well then that does help. I can’t quite see the same thing happening with Vincent to be honest though; bit of a dull character and caught up in a love triangle with George and Phoebe; oh the joys! Vincent is the first of a sh!t load of new entries this year after Kirkageddon took place on the soap with axings and high profile exits. On the Vincent front things have gone quiet of late... however spoilers indicate his returning is lurking round the corner... brace yourselves!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    49 [NE] = Ray McCormick = 4.19% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-X-X-49)

At 49, another new entry in the form of Ray McCormick. To be honest he possibly shouldn't have been included as he featured towards the end of last year, however he still managed to beat Vincent out of last place and was listed still under the recurring characters on Wiki. He is a gangster type caught up in the very exciting world of Fraser, Jim and Trevor, whether he'll be seen again is another matter. However with there being a big inference on the whole gangster storylines and there unfortunately not being an imminent end in sight he could turn up again.
  • Options
    casperfan2002@ycasperfan2002@y Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re Vincent

Deservedly so. Such a terrible actor and character. There is absolutely zero chemistry between him and George and yet they are supposed to be madly in love with each other. I can see him leaving soon as they really do seem to have sidelined him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    48 [NE] = Sonny Valentine = 5.27% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-X-X-48)

Completing a new bottom 3 is the recently returned Sonny Valentine. I guess the character was never hugely popular when Devon Anderson was in the role and although the character returned being played by a new actor, the character hadn't really been in it for too long before the voting on this actually started. Sonny coming back led to the departure of Theresa McQueen from the series and is also further embroiled in the McQueens world. I think really he was a bit of an odd return for a character and whilst Birkwood wanted a closure to the unexciting Theresa killing Calvin plotline, really after so many years it may have been better for him to just leave it and for her to exit normally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    47 [47] = Charlie Dean = 5.93% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-X-47-47)

Up next at 47 is Charlie Dean who is a non-mover, but also has the prize of being the lowest ranked of the children on here. I guess as the children get older (Charlie, Lucas and Leah) they'll all begin to feature a lot more heavily and involved in bigger storylines. As it is I think it was possibly a bit of a stretch for Charlie to really challenge for the 2nd round or any of the big character hitters. He does however avoid the top 3 and may see a move up next year if Birkwood hasn't pointlessly decided to axe a load more characters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    46 [NE] = Lucas Hay = 6.51% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-X-X-46)

Hot on Charlie's heels is another of the shows youngsters and the first of Ste's kids to make an appearance. I guess like Charlie the character is kind of too young at the moment to make a big impact and to have a big influence on storylines etc. Seeing as Ste is a big part of the show and that seems to be continuing with the influx of his family I guess it's only a matter of time before his kids have a much more prominent role in the proceedings. As Lucas gets older he'll probably appear more and climb the rankings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    45 [NE] = Peri Lomax = 6.94% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-X-X-45)

Next up is another new entry and the lowest of the Lomax Clan to make an appearance. I guess like Lucas and Charlie Peri is a young character, however we have seen her have a fair bit of screen time and be involved in some of the recent storylines; most recently as John Paul's vent for anger. Peri is a relative new comer to the show and I guess like a lot of the new entries they will hopefully grow on us over time (well they better had anyway!) and as she grows up will start having more storylines of her own as opposed to being on the periphery on everyone elses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    44 [36] = Tilly Evans = 7.37% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-35-36-44)

Recently departed Tilly is next up who takes a bit of fall down the rankings this year. I guess its not too difficult to see why; the character underwent a bit of a change of character and at the time of the vote had just left on screen. The character I always felt had potential (along with a fair few others of the teens), however was always ill-used (along with a fair few others of the teens). She had flings with her teacher, flings with Esther and was given a lot to do in Hollyoaks Later, however it always seemed they never knew what to do with the character or what direction she should take. Maybe the fact she had no on screen family made her lack a bit of depth however Lucy Dixon played the role ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    43 [RE] = Finn O'Connor = 8.15% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = 39-48-X-43)

Bully and rapist Finn becomes a re-entry at 43; he was omitted last year after the character had become missing in action for such a long time. When he did return with a new face, he underwent a severe character change; from the unassuming quiet type to the bully and messed up character that Birkwood has taken him down. Really I can't see how the character can become redeemable again after the John Paul rape storyline and how the character can stick around when everything comes out. No doubt like when Sinead and Ruby were revealed as Esthers bullies that all will be forgiven and forgotten about after a couple of weeks. I guess it will be interesting to see what happens to the character of Finn and how 2014 pans out for the character... I can't really see him being in still in the end of year as the character just wouldn't be viable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    42 [NE] = Robbie Roscoe = 8.56% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-X-X-42)

So one place above his accomplice is Robbie Roscoe, who becomes the lowest ranked Roscoe this year. When you look back over the last year and what Robbie has been up to; bullying, homophobia, holding up the supermarket, shooting Callum, running over Finn, accusing his uncle of touching him up, phoning up the police and accusing Jack of paedophilia, sleeping with his brother fiancée and getting pointless revenges on characters who haven't done all that much to him, it's not difficult to see why he is ranked so low. The main problem I have with the character is the lack of depth to him eg his is a horrible bully and there has been nothing really done since he was introduced to show why or any form of backstory to him. There is also the problem there is just no consequences for any of his actions shown therefore he isn't even a likeable villain . Hopefully 2014 will re-address this and when Finn's rape comes out into the public etc it may help boost Robbie's likeability depending on his actions/ reaction to it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy with the ratings so far. Glad Finn's in the bottom 10 and I hope Robbie is out soon also.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    41 [NE] = Grace Black = 8.70% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-X-X-41)

Another new entry comes next as nobodies favourite soap bitch gets a fairly poor debut given her prominence in the show. Grace was introduced after Clare's demise and really is a pointless addition to the show when you had Clare who in here hayday was about 100 times better. The actress isn't much cop either and like a lot of the newly introduced characters lack depth and interest, they also seem to have stupid thought process and crap logic of what to do in situations. Everyone was pleased to hear that the actress has had her contract extended, so there will be alot more to come from Grace as 2014 rolls on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    40 [NE] = Ziggy Roscoe = 9.01% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-X-X-40)

The new entries keep on coming as Ziggy manages to just make the top 40. Again like Robbie, I can't help but feel that Ziggy is a character that lacks any form of depth eg Robbie is a bully... Ziggy is a womaniser who loves himself. However that's about as far as the character currently runs; there is just not really any depth of character there. We've seen him form a relationship with Ruby until he started having an affair with Frankie. Seeing as Ruby is departing this year, it will no doubt mean Ziggy moves on to some other female in the village. It would be good to see the character actually explored a bit more as opposed to just going down the 2D character route, however with so many new characters it's probably going to be a difficult task for Birkwood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    39 [30] = Nana McQueen = 9.08% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-X-30-39)

Nana McQueen takes a small drop down the rankings this year and fails to make it to the second round. Since Myra's departure she has become the true head of the McQueen clan; trying to sort out all the messes which the children have got themselves into. Nana is really used for comedy relief, however she has been involved in a fair few storylines which are a bit more gritty; she's been attacked and also been on the outskirts of pretty much all the McQueens dodgy storylines. With Myra's continued absence she will no doubt continue in the same vein, however will no doubt play a big part in the fall out of John Paul's rape when it finally becomes public knowledge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    38 [NE] = Fraser Black = 9.29% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-X-X-38)

Fraser in another new entry at 38; one of the key players in the on going gangster saga which is plaguing the village and viewers. He is really a bit of a marmite character to be honest; whilst I think he is played well there is something about the whole gangster nonsense which just doesn't sit well. He has recently married Sandy and is playing a role in the disappearance of her eldest son Joe who is believed to be dead. He has also played a massive part in Jim's demise when he went rogue. No doubt as 2014 continues he will play a major part in the proceedings with his dodgy dealings no doubt being uncovered and Sand having to learn the truth about her husband and what he is really like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    37 [NE] = Danny Lomax = 9.40% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-X-X-37)

Anyone sensing that with the flood of new entries in the bottom reaches of this, that Birkwood's new characters to replace supposedly deadwood characters possibly hasn't taken off and he may have been better working with the characters that were already there? Danny is a new entry at 37 and whilst had some good support like so many new characters this year just didn't seem to appeal to the majority. Danny was the first Lomax to be introduced where it was shockingly revealed he was Ste's father shortly before they were going to bonk each other. Since then his family have been brought into the show and as a whole the Lomax's have probably been the better received between them and the Roscoe's. Danny has also had a dalliance with John Paul whilst still keeping his wife and children happy at home. I guess they'll be plenty more Danny to come with the Lomax family being still new to the show so will probably take a climb next year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    36 [37] = Theresa McQueen = 9.85% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = 14-13-37-36)

Climbing up a place is recently departed Theresa McQueen. She was quite popular a couple of years ago and made the semi finals 2 years running, but then things went a bit wrong last year and she remains the same this year. Theresa had been at the centre of so many big storylines since she arrived, most recently played a role in the Will reveal storyline. However killing Calvin was always going to catch up with her in the end and the return of Sonny Valentine finally put pay to that as she exited the show. The character has always been fairly selfish and a lot of the time overused IMO. There is no doubt in my mind that she will return to the show one day as I can't see her being overly successful anywhere else, however for the moment 2014 may be slightly Theresa free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    35 [NE] = Leah Barnes = 10.02% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-X-X-35)

Possibly the biggest surprise for me here as Leah makes a fairly good debut here. I thought she was going to be an also-run with the other kids included, however she proved to be fairly popular and was in with a good chance of going into the second round. She has been involved in a couple of Ste's bigger storylines along with Brendan and also played a part in the uncovering of Will as the serial killer. Despite not having a huge role she is played by a very good child actress and is possibly one to watch for future storylines; no doubt she will appear more frequently the older she is and the fact Ste seems to have a pretty certain future on the show will feature more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    34 [08] = Phoebe Jackson = 10.08% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-X-08-34)

A high debut last year, this year Phoebe takes the biggest drop of any character and out of the top 10. It's possibly not difficult to fathom why this has happened, one word Vincent! A year ago she was a strong character being involved in some quite good storylines with Jacqui... however then Jacqui departed and she was lumbered with possibly the most pointless character in soap. Mandip Gill is a great actress and it's a shame to see her being wasted with a storyline which may seem slightly interesting on paper, however the execution is terrible. Hopefully once the whole Vincent saga is over with the character can get onto a different storyline which brings out the best in her character as opposed to the worst.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    33 [52] = Holly Cunningham = 10.25% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = X-X-52-33)

Holly takes a big climb up the rankings this year after a change in face and being used more. I thought Wallis Day wasn't actually that bad; especially in Laters when she was actually given something to do. However let's be honest she looked too old for the character she was playing. Enter the new actress who is much more fitting to the role of Holly and has actually done quite well with her since she started on the show. It's difficult to see how the new actress would've been like in Laters and playing with Callum, however with Jason and the recent storylines she has been given it fits her perfectly. I think she is probably a character to watch out as Birkwood obviously was keen to keep the character running even after Wallis' exit so she must have some big things coming up. It will be also good to see how Holly and Jason's relationship develops more throughout the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    32 [44] = Tom Cunningham = 10.73% (Round 1)
    (Ranking History = 35-40-44-32)

Tom makes a leap back up the rankings after 3 years of successively dropping; I'm guessing it's due to the character's greater involvement in stories and the fact Tom is being slightly better used than he once was. The character was also involved quite majorly in the Sienna/ Darren/ Nancy storyline which no doubt has helped in take a massive climb. He is one of Hollyoaks longest serving characters and over the years he went from someone who was used well to someone who the writers didn't seem to know how to write for anymore. I think that's changed a fair bit and now Ellis Hollins is older is able to actually take on a greater role. It will be good to see why 2014 takes the character along with the rest of the Osborne clan.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Lovely little Leah ❤. One of the absolute best child soap actors.

Thank you so much for doing this, I am really enjoying reading the results.