Options

Why does this forum never have any debates anymore?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    Also people whinge when you revive an old thread. In some cases it can be annoying but in others it's nice to read a decent length thread seeing as threads now are short. It's particularly silly to grumble when the thread is just a generic thread for a particular show.
    I've posted/revived one or two old threads because it seems silly to make a new thread when another exists. I like to pop in and out but some of the arguments can get unnecessarily heated!
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure the forum would still be way more interesting if a lot of great, opinionated members had not been banned permanently.

That said, the mods just keep sending me emails warning me about getting banned, but never actually do it. I think they have a playground crush or something, their warning emails are quite sweet :p I'd have banned me by now, though.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    I'm sure the forum would still be way more interesting if a lot of great, opinionated members had not been banned permanently.

That said, the mods just keep sending me emails warning me about getting banned, but never actually do it. I think they have a playground crush or something, their warning emails are quite sweet :p I'd have banned me by now, though.

Really? :)

I thought it went warning, two days, week, two weeks and then permanent.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I believe it does, but I've had about 5 warnings, it's quite cute when you think about it, like sending little notes across the playground :blush:
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe it does, but I've had about 5 warnings, it's quite cute when you think about it, like sending little notes across the playground :blush:

You are lucky then. :)

No more naughty Lauren jokes for me (unfortunately).
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not usually on very late at night as I work early in the mornings but we should chat desperate house! what are your favourite soaps? :)

Thanks Sorcha, I have to come on line whenever I get time, usually odd times when others are either asleep, or at work, so leaves me to read through the threads in peace!!

I watch Corrie, although it is isn't in a very good place at the mo, hoping it will get better. It has too many unlikeable characters, hope this may change when The Hat goes.

I watch Emmerdale, my favourite, love Squire Robert and the way he treats his inferior the surly serf Aaron, his Baldrick to Robert's Blackadder! I stuck with ED all through the Blackburn years, the interminable "what Jackson wants", Amy and the Pollards, even the arrival of the Spencers, Debbie's gangster days and the awful Charity and her scams. Its a bit boring at the moment, hoping it will pick up after Christmas, but I will still stay with it regardless (hopefully).

I used to watch EastEnders avidly, never missed an episode, had family recording it when I went on holiday etc. Then they brought in the Slater family en masse and simply ruined the programme for me, especially disliked Kat, tried over the years to keep up, then they brought in Roxy and Ronnie, that for me was the final straw. Don't watch at all now.
  • Options
    CorstemmeeCorstemmee Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    no you are right, welcome to the forums 😀

the thread starting is mostly kids who want to be first and thread starter. I imagine a lot follow celebs/actors on twitter and facebook and every time they post comment "first"

Thank you for your welcome, soap-lea. :)

You could be right about it mostly being kids. It has that 'feel' about it. Or maybe I'm just getting old!
  • Options
    Dean_FranceDean_France Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Because threads get locked for no real reason or threads get moved to other popular users threads

Lord help me when I make a thread and other popular users make a thread AFTER mine, there were about 5 threads on the same topic as mine floating around. Nothing was done after I asked for the threads to be joined.
    They also happily allow threads to not be locked when the OP is being berated and belittled however lol

Why this thread is allowed is suspect...

Rant over, going to go back to posting 3 comments a week and lurk. Let the cool gang have the fun and power. Thanks to those that did try to make me feel welcome x
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,492
    Forum Member

I am not sure they have a set plan in place, I got three temp bans and each lasted a couple of days only. Don't think I even managed to get a weeks ban, might have done though.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because threads get locked for no real reason or threads get moved to other popular users threads

Lord help me when I make a thread and other popular users make a thread AFTER mine, there were about 5 threads on the same topic as mine floating around. Nothing was done after I asked for the threads to be joined.
    They also happily allow threads to not be locked when the OP is being berated and belittled however lol

Rant over, going to go back to posting 3 comments a week and lurk. Let the cool gang have the fun and power. Thanks to those that did try to make me feel welcome x

How is it fair to blame other users because the mods closed the thread, a lot of members posted and said sorry you felt that way and tried to suggest way of you getting involved.

I'm sorry but kicking off cause it's not going exactly as you imagine or berating other members is not going to make people like you.

Sorcha was right in the other thread about only wanting to interacting with FM who don't use the clique/favoritism/popular comments at every opportunity to make members feel guilty.
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radcliffe was amazing. I'm no psychologist, but I truly believe he just had issues with intimacy and had to close down any discussion of a sexual nature by putting up an offensive.

Yes, why do you think that he was so defensive when I said that me and him were really alike? Deep down he was a filthy bastard.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I read your thread. I felt the same when I joined. In fact there are certain posters who went out of their way to gang up on me, they are now on ignore and I avoid the majority of Emmerdale threads all because I wouldnt agree with their opinions.

I also used to think there was a clique, I was wrong there is more than one :o:D but I have found that the more you persevere the easier it gets. well I think its either that or people are just putting up with me ha ha:D

Can I also say that when I first started posting I thought Scrabbler and Sorcha were horrible there was no way in my mind I was going to like them but after I said something about it I saw that actually they are really friendly and rather funny (ha ha not weird:D)

Just keep going Dean don't worry what others think.

If everyone who is posting on this thread including me took head of what been said I am sure we could get the debates up and running again. there have been some good EE ones and I expect more this week. It would help if the responses were not diluted by being on 50 different thread but you can't have everything :D
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 139,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    I read your thread. I felt the same when I joined. In fact there are certain posters who went out of their way to gang up on me, they are now on ignore and I avoid the majority of Emmerdale threads all because I wouldnt agree with their opinions.

I also used to think there was a clique, I was wrong there is more than one :o:D but I have found that the more you persevere the easier it gets. well I think its either that or people are just putting up with me ha ha:D

Can I also say that when I first started posting I thought Scrabbler and Sorcha were horrible there was no way in my mind I was going to like them but after I said something about it I saw that actually they are really friendly and rather funny (ha ha not weird:D)

Just keep going Dean don't worry what others think.

If everyone who is posting on this thread including me took head of what been said I am sure we could get the debates up and running again. there have been some good EE ones and I expect more this week. It would help if the responses were not diluted by being on 50 different thread but you can't have everything :D

Thanks for admitting you got me wrong lea. You're a prettydecent person yourself
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years back there were some quite aggressive threads. In recent years they are generally more sedate - I guess because the mods now close them quicker and also delete the more extreme posts.

As an oldie who used to be on soap mailing lists c.1995 and have dipped in and out of various forums over the years, I no longer worry about 'cliques'. Whether cliques exist or not is down to each person's own perception. I reckon I must be pretty unpopular here as when some of the FMs (some of whom are mentioned in this thread) reach into each other's pockets to automatically agree with each other's posts with smug replies of 'This ^^', or 'I know, right' I couldn't care less about the cliques and butt in to refute what they have said. The results can be pretty funny some times.
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years back there were some quite aggressive threads. In recent years they are generally more sedate - I guess because the mods now close them quicker and also delete the more extreme posts.

As an oldie who used to be on soap mailing lists c.1995 and have dipped in and out of various forums over the years, I no longer worry about 'cliques'. Whether cliques exist or not is down to each person's own perception. I reckon I must be pretty unpopular here as when some of the FMs (some of whom are mentioned in this thread) reach into each other's pockets to automatically agree with each other's posts with smug replies of 'This ^^', or 'I know, right' I couldn't care less about the cliques and butt in to refute what they have said. The results can be pretty funny some times.

I've made online friends on here but I'd never exclude anybody from a conversation. I think it's best if nobody takes this place too seriously.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I love a good 'debate' ! I have been involved in a couple of nasty people 'attacking' me - normally on the Soap Thread!! It got very bad.....and THEY were banned! :)

I'm not a bad person - I love a good debate!! But I like it without bitterness!

Keep up the Good Vs Bad debates!! We all love to join in! :)
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,492
    Forum Member
    Thanks for admitting you got me wrong lea. You're a prettydecent person yourself

I agree with this completely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Radcliffe was amazing. I'm no psychologist, but I truly believe he just had issues with intimacy and had to close down any discussion of a sexual nature by putting up an offensive.

I found him amazing too. It's a shame he left.