Options

What do you think caused the Big Bang?

Comments

• Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's something that we can't comprehend. We don't feel comfortable with that. That's why we have to invent ludicrous explanations to hide our inadequacies.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    It's something that we can't comprehend. We don't feel comfortable with that. That's why we have to invent ludicrous explanations to hide our inadequacies.

I agree, it's entirely beyond our comprehension. I honestly don't think our brains could process the answer even if we knew what it was.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    There is no 'before' it's totally meaningless because time itself didn't exist before the big bang. Also the first 10 -43 seconds of the universe called the planck epoch is mostly theoretical guess work as it is believed that some of the fundamental laws of physics were different in these very first moments.

I don't know how you could prove that time started at the big bang, or prove there was no time before it.

Not having time doesn't make any sense to me, nor does the concept of nothing, or something coming from nothing.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it a strange idea, that the material contained in the entire human race is no bigger than a lump of sugar. I wonder how big something like a large spiral galaxy would be if you could extract all of the space within the atoms and squeeze it all together.
    I don't think you could squeeze a spiral galaxy like that though. They all have supermassive black holes in the centre of them, where the matter is already squeezed as tightly as possible. The size of the black hole is what actually governs the size of the galaxy itself, so our own quite large Milky Way must have a pretty enormous one in the middle. If you throw more matter into it, it will simply eject much more energy in the form of x-rays etc.
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to today's Guardian:

"Each of us is made up of 7 octillion atoms (7 followed 27 zeros) that are mostly empty space. If you could squeeze all the empty space out of those atoms, you could reduce the entire human race to the size of a sugar lump."

:confused:
    Yeah, but the centre of a black hole is, as far as I know, the only place you could possibly do it. All surfaces are highly irregular at the size of individual atoms - so we don't notice the gaps so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    I don't think you could squeeze a spiral galaxy like that though. They all have supermassive black holes in the centre of them, where the matter is already squeezed as tightly as possible. The size of the black hole is what actually governs the size of the galaxy itself, so our own quite large Milky Way must have a pretty enormous one in the middle. If you throw more matter into it, it will simply eject much more energy in the form of x-rays etc.

Not in practice, I agree. But theoretically. I'm not sure how much mass something like the M31 galaxy has anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only thing scientists know about the big bang is what we are able to measure today- things like background cosmic radiation, the rememnants of the big bang, and what we can learn from the LHC. The gaps are filled in with theory.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Our universe exists in a region of space which is the apparent three-dimensional event horizon of a black hole caused by the collapse of a fourth-dimensional star....and the matter in our universe is the ejected debris from that fourth-dimensional black hole.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know what CERN does with any hadrons they get delivered which are too small for the collider? Can they make large hadrons out of small ones?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    archiver wrote: »
    Anyone know what CERN does with any hadrons they get delivered which are too small for the collider? Can they make large hadrons out of small ones?

Don't know. They're already planning on making an even bigger one apparently!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    Our universe exists in a region of space which is the apparent three-dimensional event horizon of a black hole caused by the collapse of a fourth-dimensional star....and the matter in our universe is the ejected debris from that fourth-dimensional black hole.

As plausible as any other suggestion.

The thing that's always bothered me is how young the Universe is. OK, 13.7 billion years sounds a lot but not as much as say 50 billion years or a 100 billion years. It's 'only' just over twice the age of the Earth. The oldest rocks we can go and pick up on Earth are nearly 4 billion years old. You would think something as immense as the Universe would be much, much older than it is.
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe its the remnants of anther universe that collapsed in on itself to point where it was so dense it exploded? Although then again isn't time only meant to be a dimension so it wouldn't exist outside our universe? (I'm not really down on the laws of physics)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know. They're already planning on making an even bigger one apparently!
    I thought Higgs boson was the holy grail. Is there more to discover at even higher teV do they think?
  • Options
    Forum Member

The thing that's always bothered me is how young the Universe is. OK, 13.7 billion years sounds a lot but not as much as say 50 billion years or a 100 billion years. It's 'only' just over twice the age of the Earth. The oldest rocks we can go and pick up on Earth are nearly 4 billion years old. You would think something as immense as the Universe would be much, much older than it is.

Or you could say, that rock has existed in some form for 13.7 billion years? It just so happens it's managed to stay as a rock for the last few billion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chihiro94 wrote: »
    Maybe its the remnants of anther universe that collapsed in on itself to point where it was so dense it exploded? Although then again isn't time only meant to be a dimension so it wouldn't exist outside our universe? (I'm not really down on the laws of physics)

The fabric of the Universe and time are totally connected. Thank you Einstein for 'spacetime'.

The rebound theory is attractive, although as far as our own Universe is concerned there doesn't seem to be enough matter to reverse the current expansion. It seems the Universe will die horribly, just fading away into heat death. Even if that weren't likely, it wouldn't explain where the original Universe came from. It came from somewhere! I think that is what annoys me. Something created the Universe, or it was created somehow, as its existence is all about us. The answer is 'there' but out of reach.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    Or you could say, that rock has existed in some form for 13.7 billion years? It just so happens it's managed to stay as a rock for the last few billion.

True. The atoms that make up the rock, and us, are almost as old as the Universe itself. Indeed some of them, the hydrogen and helium, were formed in those very early phases of creation!
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Sheldon Cooper. His knocking six times on Penny's door caused a mass disruption to the world and thus causing what is commonly known as the big bang.

Even his cleverly inserted Penny every two bangs could not stop this.

Or something equally more interesting than what actually happened :p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    archiver wrote: »
    I thought Higg's boson was the holy grail. Is there more to discover at even higher teV do they think?

This is the thing I was reading a few days ago:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/nov/10/particle-physics-universe-building-blocks-large-hadron-collider
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Having no information on any other universe, I don't agree that I'd think it would be any different to the way it is. It could even be most unusual to take two thirds of its total existence to start producing useful planets.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    trphil wrote: »
    God??
    Here's one for the hardcore bible bashers (By this I mean the ones you can't argue with because they REFUSE to accept hard evidence and scientific fact and ALWAYS have to bring God/Jesus into it):
    WHO created God then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting, thanks. A new linear collider seems the intuitive way to go. Fast stuff 'likes' straight lines. Steering light speed ships is incredibly expensive. :)
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to today's Guardian:

:confused:

I can't stop laughing at that quote for some reason. :blush:
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    Here's one for the hardcore bible bashers (The ones that preach in city centres on a Saturday):-
    WHO created God then?

God is uncreated. Obviously.

We don't bash our Bibles either. rollyeyes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    God is uncreated. Obviously.

We don't bash our Bibles either. rollyeyes

Sorry, I didn't mean ALL devout Christians like yourself. I meant the hardcore ones that can't be argued with, even when presented with scientific fact.

I DO APPOLOGISE FOR ANY CONFUSION.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's no physical evidence that singularities actually exist anyway, is there? They're just an outcome of theoretical physics.