Options

Emmerdale - Katie's death...

Comments

• Options
    Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katie's death did remind me of Tina's on Coronation Street and honestly I think if Corrie had gone this route and had Carla push Tina and Peter help her cover it up it would have been a better story. But anyway back to Emmerdale, it wasn't that shocking to see her die and it wasn't as dramatic as Donna's. However I don't think Katie was deserving of a big exit, yes she has been on the show for years but she has no family on the show and isn't that important to the show.

I think it would have been more interesting to have Katie end up in a coma and they take her to some hospital to be treated. Then Robert would always be worried about Katie coming back and exposing him and Andy would be torn about moving on with his life and being loyal to Katie. Plus that would have left the door open for Katie wake from her coma come back to expose Robert and break up whatever relationship Andy would currently be in.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will it not be suspicious that her phone is still in perfect condition? I'm not sure how strong that type of phone is, but it won't even have a scratch on it.
  • Options
    samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was all right! Am I really the only one? I enjoyed watching Robert get caught and sweat blood over it. Not spectacularly brilliant like Gennie's exit, but that was one of the best scenes in soap, ever, so very few will be that good.

It was a shame she didn't get a really important last scene with Andy, but they did marry each other, we had that.

My only criticism was that I still think it felt a bit cobbled together and rushed. When Robert first came back, Andy was wound up and Katie was chilled, totally over it. Then they switched to Andy being chilled and Katie being wound up - and that's when the exit story started. So either they told a big fat porkie and Sammi's decision to leave is a lot more recent, or they just didn't plan it very well, and left it too late to make it really convincing. Probably the latter, tbh.

I guess at some point, Andy will find out, and we'll get a final showdown between the brothers, where he tries to kill Robert. So it sets up a long slow-burner there.

You're not the only one. I enjoyed it, thought it was pretty good. She didn't get the best exit I will admit but it's set up a lot of other storylines.

I suppose I can say that I enjoyed it because I was not rooting for Robert to get away with it and carry on his affair with Aaron like most and because I'm glad they turned him into a killer so that he hopefully won't be around forever. I did think her actual cause of death was going to be more of a twist, I did think perhaps that Robert was going to make it look like a suicide with that rope he was staring at in the barn.

I loved the shots of her on the horse riding up to the house, that was some stunning camera work. Shame Sam was there getting in the way of that.

The only thing that let it down a little was that it seems like all evidence of the affair is now gone, and that we now have a story building to an Aaron court case again. :(
  • Options
    skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think it was that bad. The actual stunt was pretty impressive and I actually quite like the fact that she went just like that: No famous last words, no silly coming back to life to pad out the last act, just alive one minute and dead the next as in real life. But shock value: It didn't have any. I found myself musing whether Katie's death would have been a surprise if huge hints hadn't been plastered all over every magazine cover for months and decided no, it wouldn't: The way the episode played out, with Robert getting constantly wound up, throwing her around the barn and looking for any way to silence her, it was clearly going in that direction. I do suspect that the show had planned a big Andy/Katie reunion before Sammie quit, leaving them with no option but to kill her off.

But I am really not looking forward to the endless months before Robert is exposed.
  • Options
    KMXKMX Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like with Viv, Emmerdale did not do justice to one of their longest serving characters. Katie's death was a mere plot twist in the Robert and Aaron story, if I were Sammy Winward I'd feel rather cheated.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    samcains90 wrote: »
    You're not the only one. I enjoyed it, thought it was pretty good. She didn't get the best exit I will admit but it's set up a lot of other storylines.

I suppose I can say that I enjoyed it because I was not rooting for Robert to get away with it and carry on his affair with Aaron like most and because I'm glad they turned him into a killer so that he hopefully won't be around forever. I did think her actual cause of death was going to be more of a twist, I did think perhaps that Robert was going to make it look like a suicide with that rope he was staring at in the barn.

I loved the shots of her on the horse riding up to the house, that was some stunning camera work. Shame Sam was there getting in the way of that.

The only thing that let it down a little was that it seems like all evidence of the affair is now gone, and that we now have a story building to an Aaron court case again. :(

Oh good! That's two of us, then. :D Yes, I also though the shots of Katie riding across the fields to the derelict farm were stunning, specially as we all pretty much knew she was going to die there. I'm assuming that Sam seeing her riding will come into this somehow. I wonder if he'll turn out to have seen something.

I'm a bit surprised they've turned Robert into a killer this early on, though I don't think actually mean to kill her - but it does make him even less sympathetic than he was before. I wonder where they're going with him. But he's very a watchable Bad Guy, so I'm happy to go along for the ride. When Andy finally finds out, it will be nuclear.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maddalene wrote: »
    But is she really dead yet?

Well Tina got up and walked away.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skteosk wrote: »
    I didn't think it was that bad. The actual stunt was pretty impressive and I actually quite like the fact that she went just like that: No famous last words, no silly coming back to life to pad out the last act, just alive one minute and dead the next as in real life. But shock value: It didn't have any. I found myself musing whether Katie's death would have been a surprise if huge hints hadn't been plastered all over every magazine cover for months and decided no, it wouldn't: The way the episode played out, with Robert getting constantly wound up, throwing her around the barn and looking for any way to silence her, it was clearly going in that direction. I do suspect that the show had planned a big Andy/Katie reunion before Sammie quit, leaving them with no option but to kill her off.

But I am really not looking forward to the endless months before Robert is exposed.

BIB: Yes, that's my feeling as well. There were those lovely scenes where they came to terms with Andy's abusive past, and where she seemed like a proper Mum to Sarah, and it felt important. And Kate Oates said the Sugdens were going to be more central, and I'm sure she was a big part of that. Then Sammi gave them her decision, and they had to find a way to write her out. I guess they could have gone down the road of Andy hitting her, and her leaving, but that would have been really bleak, and boxed Andy in as a character.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found Katie's exit to be so-so at best.

I'm not bothered that she was killed off (I don't believe that certain characters from any soap should be exempt from dying purely because they have been in the show for many years) but Gennie and Donna's exits were much better.

I guess that Robert will be found out later this year (unless Ryan Hawley stays on for at least another year).
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    I, too, found it so-so. Never have liked Katy, can't abide Andy and not keen on Robert so ......!
    Reading between the lines it seems that we are a real blood thirsty lot!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh good! That's two of us, then. :D Yes, I also though the shots of Katie riding across the fields to the derelict farm were stunning, specially as we all pretty much knew she was going to die there. I'm assuming that Sam seeing her riding will come into this somehow. I wonder if he'll turn out to have seen something.

I'm a bit surprised they've turned Robert into a killer this early on, though I don't think actually mean to kill her - but it does make him even less sympathetic than he was before. I wonder where they're going with him. But he's very a watchable Bad Guy, so I'm happy to go along for the ride. When Andy finally finds out, it will be nuclear.

The camera work for the stunt was also well done. It will definitely be strange not seeing Katie around the village anymore and who will look after the horses? Will we ever have nice horse riding shots again? I assume Belle will take over from her part time job once she is better?

Sam is definitely going to be able to give evidence of something, he's as bad as Kerry for being put into everyone else's storylines even though he already has one of his own. >:(

I think Robert is a very watchable bad guy, but Robert and Aaron I find tedious and unbelievable. Despite it being the thing getting Emmerdale all the attention at the moment it's the hardest thing to actually watch, for me.

BIB: Yes, that's my feeling as well. There were those lovely scenes where they came to terms with Andy's abusive past, and where she seemed like a proper Mum to Sarah, and it felt important. And Kate Oates said the Sugdens were going to be more central, and I'm sure she was a big part of that. Then Sammi gave them her decision, and they had to find a way to write her out. I guess they could have gone down the road of Andy hitting her, and her leaving, but that would have been really bleak, and boxed Andy in as a character.

I definitely agree with this, but also if Andy had hit her I would find it hard to believe that she would just leave. She really did only have one way to go because of how her story had been written up until now. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought Katie on a horse was a bit of foreshadowing, to be honest! I thought maybe Robert accidentally spooked the horse and Katie would be thrown to her death. Like proper, old skool Emmerdale! But sadly, it was not to be. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Robert is a very watchable bad guy, but Robert and Aaron I find tedious and unbelievable. Despite it being the thing getting Emmerdale all the attention at the moment it's the hardest thing to actually watch, for me.

I don't find Robert and Aaron a romantic pairing at all, and I've always found Aaron totally meh, but (and I can't quite believe I'm saying this), I do think it's an OK story - Aaron is obviously in love with the guy, but Robert is such a bastard, it's always going to go to hell. I can live with it. I'm actually more interested in Lawrence and Chrissie finding out than Aaron, though. It's a shame Lawrence has been so sidelined.

On the other hand, I actually thought the best scenes last night were Ross, Finn and Emma. They write Ross brilliantly. Still my favourite character. So hopefully there will be something else to watch - because last time Aaron was on every night, weeping, I switched off for about 2 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Citadel wrote: »
    I thought Katie on a horse was a bit of foreshadowing, to be honest! I thought maybe Robert accidentally spooked the horse and Katie would be thrown to her death. Like proper, old skool Emmerdale! But sadly, it was not to be. :(

Oh wow, that might have been really good. And it would have been more distinctive. I guess a fall from a horse might not have been fatal, but it would if she'd been trampled (ew). Maybe they wanted Robert to be more guilty, but he'd still have caused it.

I wish we'd had that, now. Still enjoyed what we got, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh wow, that might have been really good. And it would have been more distinctive. I guess a fall from a horse might not have been fatal, but it would if she'd been trampled (ew). Maybe they wanted Robert to be more guilty, but he'd still have caused it.

I wish we'd had that, now. Still enjoyed what we got, though.

Well she may not have died straight away - bleeding on the brain later on etc, Robert and Aaron fretting for a week or two instead of it all being done and dusted in two minutes. Kate Oates just seems to want to rush everything.

It also means Robert would've been inadvertantly responsible for Katie's death, whereas now he is basically irredeemable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that would have been rather good had she taken the picture, left and ran away on the horse.
    But then Belle's storyline would be harder to do because she would have issues with horses and not go to the derelict farm
    I don't find Robert and Aaron a romantic pairing at all, and I've always found Aaron totally meh, but (and I can't quite believe I'm saying this), I do think it's an OK story - Aaron is obviously in love with the guy, but Robert is such a bastard, it's always going to go to hell. I can live with it. I'm actually more interested in Lawrence and Chrissie finding out than Aaron, though. It's a shame Lawrence has been so sidelined.

On the other hand, I actually thought the best scenes last night were Ross, Finn and Emma. They write Ross brilliantly. Still my favourite character. So hopefully there will be something else to watch - because last time Aaron was on every night, weeping, I switched off for about 2 years.

I'm hoping that Robert and Aaron is over now and we can move onto the affair coming out. Aaron said he wasn't happy being kept a secret and wants the affair out, I can't see that he would realistically carry it on now Katie is dead. He may not want to expose it in case Robert manipulates him onto believing he could be implicated but it shouldn't carry on.

Ross, Finn and Emma and Alicia, Chrissie and Lachlan were the best scenes for me. The whole episode felt very watchable though even the Rodney and Georgia stuff.

Katie's exit was thrilling to say the least and I am looking forward to a showdown between the two brothers in the (hopefully) near future. I hope Chrissie finds out soon, I want her to get some common sense back.
  • Options
    Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never been a Katie fan and don't think that she should have been killed off, but it was not particularly enjoyable. It felt too predictable and reinforced her dumbness.
    MissLola wrote: »
    Why not? Cain and Debbie have done a lot worse and there are still in the village acting like their s**t don't stink.

If they want to keep Robert they will put several villagers' lives in danger and Robert is going to save the day (They do it all the time with Cain).

I agree. It won't take much to redeem Robert. He did not deliberately murder Katie so there is no reason that he cannot stick around. The Dingles have done far worse and have faced no consequences. Plus, I like Robert. I think that he is a great soap character. He is a devious bastard who will make Aaron's life miserable at times.

I am not usually a Aaron fan, but I am enjoying his affair with Robert. Shockingly, there are moments where Danny Miller actually looks relax rather than his typical revulsion in their scenes. Anyway, I think that there is a lot of story there still to tell with Aaron and Robert. They have to deal with what happened to Katie, the truth about Robert sleeping with Aaron coming out, Chrissie having to deal with the fall out, Robert having to decide who he really wants, and Aaron and Robert struggling to have a real relationship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well she may not have died straight away - bleeding on the brain later on etc, Robert and Aaron fretting for a week or two instead of it all being done and dusted in two minutes. Kate Oates just seems to want to rush everything.

It also means Robert would've been inadvertantly responsible for Katie's death, whereas now he is basically irredeemable.

I'm just going to keep nodding away here. That could have been really good, great suspense, although maybe they feel there have been too many bedside vigils already. I agree they've had Robert cross a line by doing it this way - not only did he cause her death, but his reaction afterwards was basically psychopathic. I was expecting something more like your idea, that he'd cause an accident.
    I'm hoping that Robert and Aaron is over now and we can move onto the affair coming out. Aaron said he wasn't happy being kept a secret and wants the affair out, I can't see that he would realistically carry it on now Katie is dead. He may not want to expose it in case Robert manipulates him onto believing he could be implicated but it shouldn't carry on.

I get where you're coming from, but I think that's a rash hope. I strongly suspect ED will now milk the Robert and Aaron drama for everything it's worth. So batten down the hatches, get out the whiskey, or reach for the remote, because I'm pretty sure we're in for a lot more of this.

On a happier note, yes, Rodney being teased by Bob about Georgia has actually been making me properly laugh out loud. :D
  • Options
    stellersstellers Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a happier note, Sammy's audition tape being shown on the ITV website is so sweet, charming and adorable.:)
    It's a pity they didn't stick with her being the girl that first came into the show. She could have become a hugely popular character. The Robert affair really did hurt her and did some damage that lasted until she died.:(
  • Options
    Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to say, but they made Katie into the pretty dumb blonde who went from man to another with no thought. It felt like the male writers were objectifying her and using her to fulfil their fantasies rather than giving her an interesting character.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    It was very disappointing. The whole story wasn't even her's. Why the hell would she care who her ex-lover/brother-in-law is bonking? She may as well have been some guest character brought in especially to cause trouble and die. Robert's complete lack of reaction was the worst bit. So I guess we're to believe he's full-on sociopath these days. No wonder he gets on with his new stepson so well!
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross_W wrote: »
    The reaction to Emmerdale lately has been odd.

The show is in a really good place right now and Katie's exit was very exciting, even if it was easy to guess. The acting was on top form tonight. Maybe you Emmerdale die-hards are very hard to impress or maybe I'm too easy to impress. Either way, I just feel that the flack that Emmerdale and Kate Oates receive is completely unjustified.

I actually read a few weeks back that a member said that they'd rather see Stuart Blackburn back in charge than to see Kate Oates in control for any longer. Really?! Emmerdale may not be as good a state as EastEnders, but it really isn't THAT bad. Giving Stuart Blackburn the chance to return and try once more to turn Emmerdale into an "urban" chav-tastic shithole would be like signing Enmerdale's death warrant.
    I think Kate Oates and stuart Blackburn both had strong points and weakneses. I think there has been much more humour, less emphasis on overusing the same characters, and more of a sense of community under KO. That said there has been a lot of repetition of recent stories, the humour can be very broad, and it often seems sensationalist.

I had been enjoying Katie's story, but last night felt like a bit of a wet rag. I personally didnt think the stunt and fight scenes were well done. It kind of reminded me of Charity's stunt driving scene a few weeks ago, which looked like the kind of thing boyracers do every night. To me, a long serving character and actor deserved better. If they couldn't do a more dramayic stunt they would have been better to have her simply leave the village.

Otherwise it's been an enjoyable story,and I hhope that we get to see villagers mourning Katie and paying tribute to her, especially Andy, Chas and Leyla. It's very believable that
    Belle has a veru strong reaction to the news, givrn her mental health and Katie's recent kindness
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stellers wrote: »
    On a happier note, Sammy's audition tape being shown on the ITV website is so sweet, charming and adorable.:)
    It's a pity they didn't stick with her being the girl that first came into the show. She could have become a hugely popular character. The Robert affair really did hurt her and did some damage that lasted until she died.:(

That audition is adorable! She's very over the top but there is already something genuinely endearing about her. I like how she was a bit rough around the edges and had a hint of playful cheek, shame that got ironed out and Katie, although I really liked her, did become very vanilla. I think what did for Katie ultimately is that she never really had any family around her, or have any kids of her own. She was this generation's Kathy Glover.

What's remarkable about Sammy in that audition though is that although she sounds much younger, physically she has barely changed in all that time! :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    It was very disappointing. The whole story wasn't even her's. Why the hell would she care who her ex-lover/brother-in-law is bonking? She may as well have been some guest character brought in especially to cause trouble and die. Robert's complete lack of reaction was the worst bit. So I guess we're to believe he's full-on sociopath these days. No wonder he gets on with his new stepson so well!

It didn't make any sense. She kept accusing him of having an affair but did she seriously think that he was going to tell her she was right? Reveal his affair, lose Chrissie and the lifestyle just because Katie demanded the truth about something that was none of her business :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get where you're coming from, but I think that's a rash hope. I strongly suspect ED will now milk the Robert and Aaron drama for everything it's worth. So batten down the hatches, get out the whiskey, or reach for the remote, because I'm pretty sure we're in for a lot more of this.

On a happier note, yes, Rodney being teased by Bob about Georgia has actually been making me properly laugh out loud. :D

I know, Aaron and Robert have become so popular for the show.

Luckily there are other stories happening at the same time. Like you said before it was two years of Aaron crying literally every episode. Kate Oates likes to mix her stories up a bit so at least there should be some days without them in it. Here's hoping.

Alicia's storyline and Belle's storyline are the most intriguing for me at the moment that should keep it watchable, not to mention all the humour. I have no intention of switching off but can't say I'm looking forward to more of the affair.