Options

Corrie's Anthony Cotton: I'm proud to be part of the change.

Comments

• Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't paint himself in a good light really does he? I can't understand why he thinks he's so untouchable for. I feel sorry for the likes of Eileen, Bill and Barbara who have to associate themselves with amateurs like Cotton.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CPW4EVER wrote: »
    Like Sorcha said, Catholics are Christians. They actually make up half of the world's Christian population. The vicar on Corrie obviously isn't Catholic or he'd be called a priest but it's in the same region.

Revelations was a late night 90's soap on ITV that was written by Russell T Davies of Queer As Folk and Doctor Who fame.

I googled it was 24 episodes. and you say late night thats not early eve before the watershed soaps but it will have paved the way for queer as folk by the sounds of it.

I knew catholics were vaguely something to do with christianity but thought they had very different beliefs and teachings but you learn. something new everyday
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    I googled it was 24 episodes. and you say late night thats not early eve before the watershed soaps but it will have paved the way for queer as folk by the sounds of it.

I knew catholics were vaguely something to do with christianity but thought they had very different beliefs and teachings but you learn. something new everyday

They're actually more similarities than differences despite what northern ireland catholic v protestant nonsense would have people belie
  • Options
    The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    He's annoying but equality for all is key for our futures, and we're not there yet. I'm pleased soaps can be a platform for making a small contribution. People are influenced by these shows.

Personal views aside, I'm glad we are moving forward, and I feel he seems very proud to be part of it.
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catmittens wrote: »
    I couldn't give a damn whether he's gay or not. He's just an atrocious actor. Cotton seems to have morphed into one of the "untouchables" and I'm not quite sure why.

And yes, Todd was Corrie's first regular gay character. That entire story with all its ins and outs back in 2004 was absolutely excellent telly. Such brilliant acting and writing. On the one hand you had such understated, nuanced performances between Sarah and Todd... and then completely OTT and camp scenes like Gail and Eileen's catfight on the cobbles. Happy days :D

Daran Little may have written some fantastic episodes of Corrie and EastEnders in his time, however one of his greatest mistakes was to create the character of Sean.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the misfortune to see him on bbc breakfast. His appearance to promote the crash was as embarrassing as his acting proved to be inside the coach. How has he been allowed to appear as Street spokesperson?
  • Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    Very few soap bosses do. Not DS.

Not true Wyezed - the current EastEnders producer has spoken publicly about reading the DS forum only last month and through our regular contact with all of the soaps, I know many of the others do too but I wouldn't name names.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daniel wrote: »
    Not true Wyezed - the current EastEnders producer has spoken publicly about reading the DS forum only last month and through our regular contact with all of the soaps, I know many of the others do too but I wouldn't name names.

I wonder what DTC makes of reading the forum?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »
    I wonder what DTC makes of reading the forum?

that its full of crazy people :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daniel wrote: »

thought he had thanks Daniel, he retweets DS stories quite often too :)
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    I know there is still a way to go with equality, but homophobia is now in the vast minority. It kind of feels like he is a decade behind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that its full of crazy people :D

Including yourself there? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »
    Including yourself there? :p

I am pretty sane and sensible compared to most 🙊🙊🙊🙊
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am pretty sane and sensible compared to most 🙊🙊🙊🙊

*ducks & runs* ;-)😂😂😂
  • Options
    Adam FirstAdam First Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I was really annoyed at the fact he was talking on Granada about Anne Kirkbride along with all the older cast.

Who the hell is he to be so worthy? I know that sounds harsh but really? It was just like Betty Turpin giving Sean Tully the secret hot pot recipe which he refuses to give out meaning they act like he can't be replaced in the show or The Rovers.

Arrogant and useless on too much pay, I can't even pretend he may be a nice person.
  • Options
    machobobmachobob Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, he must be very proud of portraying a stereotype.

And he can't act for toffee, playing himself. Boils my piss that guy!
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    I had the misfortune to see him on bbc breakfast. His appearance to promote the crash was as embarrassing as his acting proved to be inside the coach. How has he been allowed to appear as Street spokesperson?

Just like Kym Marsh useless actor, useless character, disliked but Corrie big gob.
    Adam First wrote: »
    I was really annoyed at the fact he was talking on Granada about Anne Kirkbride along with all the older cast.

Who the hell is he to be so worthy? I know that sounds harsh but really? It was just like Betty Turpin giving Sean Tully the secret hot pot recipe which he refuses to give out meaning they act like he can't be replaced in the show or The Rovers.

Arrogant and useless on too much pay, I can't even pretend he may be a nice person.

This. ^^^

For some reason Corrie certainly protects its most unlikeable characters.

And as for taking about Anne Kirkbride, he did exactly the same with Blanche.
  • Options
    KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anthony Snotton has done nothing for equality; if anything, he makes things worse.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CPW4EVER wrote: »
    Like Sorcha said, Catholics are Christians. They actually make up half of the world's Christian population. The vicar on Corrie obviously isn't Catholic or he'd be called a priest but it's in the same region.
    Protestant vicars are priests.

Anthony Cotton is excellent as Sean Tully. I concede that being gay does make it easier for him but in my opinion it just makes the character more genuine.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Such an annoying character can't wait till he is axed.

He's not going anywhere unless he wants to. It's pretty obvious he knows something big or he wouldn't still be there.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This won't be a popular opinion but I actually don't think he's that bad, certainly nowhere near bad enough to get the constant slating, bordering on hatred, he gets.

I've heard he's not particularly nice in real life (only from comments on the DS forums)but I liked him on I'm a Celebrity, he was just sarky, made me laugh and took the trials in his stride.

His acting is pretty standard for CS - he's certainly no worse than Dev or Kirk and is considerably better than the Nazirs! I like the storyline with him and the vicar, would be nice to see Sean happy in a relationship.
  • Options
    MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keibro wrote: »
    I agree, it was a fabulous storyline.
    One that was well planned, executed and had such brilliant performances from Bruno Langley, Tina O Brien, Sue Cleaver and Helen Worth.

Back then Corrie was a well oiled machine. Although the Todd/Karl affair began in 2004, it was actually 2003 when Corrie aired it's first ever gay kiss which was a landmark moment for the Street. It wasn't like oh we better do a gay story either, it was all done in such an honest and sometimes brutal way, in terms of the pain Todd and Sarah went through.

The story was based on Daran Little's own coming out, so that made it even better.
    Also, you sympathised with Todd's predicament, but didn't condone the cheating aspect of it. At the time I was in a similar situation as Todd and Corrie really mirrored a a pivotal point in any gay person's life and brought into the living room, so I got to gauge my parents reactions to it. And surprisingly both parents were sympathetic to Todd but agreed he shouldn't be cheating on his pregnant girlfriend, which of course is correct.

When it all blew up, my god the episodes were gripping and emotionally draining. Who will ever forget that Coming Out scene between Todd and Sarah, to the confession of his affair with Karl to the devastation of Sarah's world imploding. Then, a real highlight in the camp doorstep brawl between Eileen and Gail, with fantastic dialogue and triggering one of the most entertaining Corrie rivalries in the past decade. Just a few months ago I remember Gail glaring at Eileen in the Rovers, after the latter had made some remark "Me and 'er have got history" History indeed.

When Sean arrived it didn't bother me. But it did bother me that he was written as an inoffensive, non sexual, funny gay who your Nan would love. Theres nothing wrong with that and true we've had some funny Corrie straight men, who are a bit camp. But I would have loved to see a more rounded gay character. Even when Sean did get storylines they were painful.

I mean, him and Violet having a baby, who he never mentions anymore. The love triangle with him Sundown and Michelle. He was ok with Marcus but they had very little onscreen chemistry. Cotton steals scenes that he's in I think, not by great acting but by his nature.

Going back to Todd, it saddens me that he's now written as a male Tracy Barlow these days. Quite undoing the great work that was done back in 2004. Even Tracy Barlow has her good sides....sometimes.

Really interesting post. Thanks
  • Options
    kikkakikka Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anthony Cotton ...

He's supposed to be perceived as 'a gay icon' - and is actually perceived as a role model for pantomime dames.

He's supposed to be amusing - but is actually annoying and increasingly superfluous.

He's supposed to be able to act - yet he consistently he fails on that by a l-on-g way.

Oh , and he's supposed to have hair - but unlike the 'great man' himself , his hair is following stage directions and is exiting 'stage left ' considerably faster than he does.

He drags the programme down every time he appears .
  • Options
    jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murraymar wrote: »
    Really interesting post. Thanks

I loved Corrie back then. Thought the Todd coming out storyline was really well done.

When you look back at it then and now, its like a completely different programme.

I know Blackburn is not too blame for all its fault, but he does seem to love his "lets change a person personality completely". Todd being a prime example, he had his faults back in the day but he was never vindictive.

Oh for a Series producer that is actually brave enough to admit there are problems with Corrie and the axe weilding axe needs be brought down on quite a few cast members, with Kym marsh and Anthony cotton being the first to go.

Though I dont think its going to happen anytime soon.
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Hes like a fecken itch that you cant scratch
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    But I quite like the character and the actor himself .
    A fecken itch you can't scratch is Mechelle ....though saying that I warmed to her when she was kind to Steve.