Options

Jeremy Clarkson

Comments

• Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now the BBC are letting his contract lapse, on Tuesday I understand, I suppose Fox will snap him up, at about a tenth of his previous pay. His pay from the BBC is not great but he got big royalties on sales, which will vanish now.
    I hope they keep up with Top Gear, as it is enjoyable. Surely the other two can keep it going?
  • Options
    leddersledders Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understasnd why it is being reported as a "sacking". It isn't.

The BBC have decided not to renew his contract. The two are completely different.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is age a factor, any more than Tymon being "thick and Irish"?

Is he? I thought he was a 'senior producer' for the Bbc, so presumably non-thick. Could possibly do with some conflict resolution training though having been verbally abused for 20-30mins then slapped. Otherwise it was just a summary of what happened.
    Or is it only when "young bloke phones old bloke" that the BBC should take action against their presenters?

I dunno, what about that 'man bites junior' story? Nothing happened then other than the junior getting told not to make waves and packed off to a backwater..

The rest is just pondering why this became such a big story, and why people like yourself are happy to exagerate what happened. But that's showbiz. The anti-Clarkson's got their dream come true and their dinosaur removed. The Bbc's left rather embarrassed and rather poorer, and there could be some amusement from the Police.

Aunty's been having a go at them recently for investigating journalists and refusing to respond to their FOI requests (like the Bbc ever does). So what would happen if they were initially told 'nothing happened, just some shouting and swearing', only to now be told it was ABH.. Perverting the course of justice perhaps?

Meanwhile, Clarkson can turn up on a screen somewhere with some bodyguards, and say they're not guarding him..
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Clarkson's sacking is a "tragedy" according to James May.

I think May can only be referring to his tragic inability to tell the whole truth about the fracas/dust-up when asked directly if Clarkson had hit Tymon. Yeah, that is pretty tragic.....
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    ledders wrote: »

The BBC have decided not to renew his contract. The two are completely different.

Yeah, just like Jonathan Ross. And DLT 'resigned' from Radio 1 too...
    Is he?
    Oh, I'm sorry, I've been getting the quote wrong! I should have said "lazy Irish c**t". But back to the point. Why did you make age a factor? Although it does rather imply you've changed your tune and now accept Clarkson did punch Tymon, and he did go to hospital, and it's not all been made up, which was the impression I got from you and many other Clarkson fundamentalists yesterday.
    what about that 'man bites junior' story? Nothing happened then other than the junior getting told not to make waves and packed off to a backwater.
    Was that the correct thing to have happened, in your opinion?
    Straker wrote: »
    I think May can only be referring to his tragic inability to tell the whole truth about the fracas/dust-up when asked directly if Clarkson had hit Tymon. Yeah, that is pretty tragic.....
    He couldn't even answer truthfully after the BBC made the official announcement. He said both that he had found out by asking people at the BBC before, and that he knew nothing until the official BBC email at 2pm today on his own doorstep.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contracted self employed people cannot be 'sacked'. They just don't have their contract renewed. Which is what the BBC are doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contracted self employed people cannot be 'sacked'. They just don't have their contract renewed. Which is what the BBC are doing.

And that is indeed my point.

So, it shouldn't be reported as a sacking.

Is it not a bit ironic that the fracas happened when his contract was up for renewal? Am I right in thinking it was himself who reported the incident to senior management within the BBC?

Something else lined up already, I wonder....
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sacking is a slang term meaning to dispense with a person services. The precise method is not part of that definition.

No doubt Clarkson wished to continue with the show, the BBC choose not to allow that.

How is it not "the sack"?
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member

If his contract had two years to run what then?

I would have thought his contract contains clauses relating to how he behaves and indeed disciplinary matters and the consequences of him doing something like assaulting a member of staff or indeed racist abuse?

The reason they haven't sacked him is either because they are too weak or because they think it pointless as it's only days away - pity they don't think terminating his contract was actually the right thing to do in any event.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The essence of a sacking is that a person wishes to carry on in the job and the employer does not agree.

The specifics of the sacking are varied of course, but Clarkson has been sacked by any reasonable interpretation of the word.

Sacked, by no contract being offered. <
    this one!

Sacked, by notice being given.

Sacked, by immediate dismissal without notice.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Normal people couldn't give a toss about the semantics of it all. Clarkson has been presenting that show for 13 years. Then he punched a bloke in the face whilst being on a final warning and now hasn't got that job anymore.

To argue that he hasn't been sacked is to argue with a man in Clapham that the omnibus he's boarding is painted "Hot Alizarin" rather than 'red'.
    Is it not a bit ironic that the fracas happened...
    To be as pedantic as you arguing about 'sacking' and 'contract not renewed' for a moment, the word "fracas" suggests to me a fight - A brawl or altercation with physical contact going both ways.

What has been made perfectly clear today by the Director General of the BBC after an enquiry and witness reports, is that Tymon didn't raise a finger to Clarkson, and was solely on the receiving end of verbal, racial and physical abuse over half an hour.

It was not a fracas or altercation, but a straight forward unprovoked assault.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    5th Gear is now on History. A proper car show like TG used to be. Not three juvenile prats messing about.
    Beyond Clarkson, a "proper car show" will not generate anywhere near the £50 million returned to the BBC as a result of Top Gear's worldwide popularity. A £50m hole which will have to be plugged from somewhere even if Top Gear doesn't get axed (popular programmes have been axed for much less than what Top Gear is going through) because I can wager it'll be far less popular due to Clarkson's grave error.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    If his contract had two years to run what then?

I would have thought his contract contains clauses relating to how he behaves and indeed disciplinary matters and the consequences of him doing something like assaulting a member of staff or indeed racist abuse?

The reason they haven't sacked him is either because they are too weak or because they think it pointless as it's only days away - pity they don't think terminating his contract was actually the right thing to do in any event.

Not renewing his contract, rather than sacking him, leaves him no possible legal "wiggle room."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggertiny wrote: »

I see it more as not wanting to give him any ammunition for this legal action he's threatening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyond Clarkson, a "proper car show" will not generate anywhere near the £50 million returned to the BBC as a result of Top Gear's worldwide popularity. A £50m hole which will have to be plugged from somewhere even if Top Gear doesn't get axed (popular programmes have been axed for much less than what Top Gear is going through) because I can wager it'll be far less popular due to Clarkson's grave error.

According to a pundit on the News Channel this afternoon the £50m is gross income whereas the net profit he cited was @£8m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Building site labourers get sacked. Sir Malcolm Rifkind 'stepped down'.

And Jack Straw suspended himself - That's got to be worth 5 extra bonus points.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The BBC obviously don't care, (actually I think they knew they had no choice) or we'd have had the nonsense of a "final, final, warning," Counseling, rehab and all the other bollox, we get with pop and film stars.

Continuing to employ him may have caused them more concerns than firing him.

As I said earlier, they can easily make up the (edit £8M net) , by spewing out more repeats and commissioning fewer new programmes, there's already so many repeats, we'd not notice the difference.

Actually being serious (which is extremely difficult on this thread) there's lots of programmes that would be worth repeating, some not having seen the light of day for years. Many viewers would find them more watchable than Top Gear.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    According to a pundit on the News Channel this afternoon the £50m is gross income whereas the net profit he cited was @£8m.
    I'll have to take your word on that one, the sources I can find all state £50m.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They can be. There are usually clauses that can result in contract termination common with regular employment contracts, ie negligence, misconduct etc. It's often easier to terminate a contractor than full-time employee.
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sanguinius wrote: »
    Correct. But £50m a year is a lot of money to the BBC, especially with the battle they are facing over the whole license fee itself.

The BBC will try to reboot Top Gear but I think it's going to be a disaster.

A large chunk of that 50 million is from sales of dvd's of previous episodes and sales of the TG format, so the BBC won't lose as much as 50 million.

Celebrities are often overrated. Ross left the BBC after sachsgate, but there was no apocalypse at the Beeb. .When Chris Evans stopped the free fall in audiences for Radio 1, and then had furious rows with his boss, some said that if Evans left R1 was finished. He did leave, and R1 lives on. Soon Clarkson's role at the BBC will be as forgotten as that of Ross and Evans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was a media expert talking on the BBC news channel betwenn 5pm and 6pm this evening.

I think he said something along the lines of even though figures of £50million are often quoted, this figure relates to revenue generated by Top Gear, and if the percentage of profit generated was the same as other BBC programs worldwide, the actual figure for the profit of Top Gear would be in the region of £8million.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Do your sources quote that figure as net or gross?
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tgabber wrote: »
    And the Independent, Daily Mirror and Daily Mail on their websites all consider the Clarkson sacking a bigger story than the 150 deaths in the airplane crash, sigh. What a world we live in :(

It is a world where stories like "Plane Crashed Yesterday - 150 Still Dead" isn't considered news.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Blimey. I'm a wee bit sad that TG is now dead & buried, but I'm really quite glad that I'm not someone who's spent almost all of today banging on about it on here and gloating about its demise.

Come on guys - get a life. It's done. He's been sacked, it's over. Move on. Go to the pub, have a glass of wine, talk to your OH, anything, but do us a favour and stop this childish regurgitation of the same 'facts', the same views, the same bickering, hour after hour after hour.

Blimey.
  • Options
    tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    It is a world where stories like "Plane Crashed Yesterday - 150 Still Dead" isn't considered news.

Things we learned today:

- usable audio from the cockpit voice recorder
    - 16 students on exchange trip amongst victims
    - 3 Britons dead
    - press conference from the investigating authority with initial details of the crash

- 54-year-old bore with anger management issues no longer has a job