Rik Mayall RIP

Comments

• Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens when Rik Mayall spots someone filming him at a promo event? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT1cUTJE1Ac

:D The faces that he pulled are one of the reasons I found him so funny.
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    I have to wonder if Andrew Lloyd Webber and Midge Ure will now give permission for their songs to be used in Filthy, Rich and Catflap ?

The final episode was cut to shreds because they couldn't get clearance for "Consider Yourself" and an old Ultravox song (name escapes me..).
    On the face of it it sounds mean but they are their songs and can do what they want with them.

R.I.P Rik

You were a unique talent and will be hugely missed.:(

Haven't read through all the thread so this might have already been posted...won't hurt that it's posted again..

"This house will become a shrine, and punks and skins and rastas will all gather round and hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader. And all the grown-ups will say, "But why are the kids crying?" And the kids will say, "Haven't you heard? Rick is dead! The People's Poet is dead! And then one particularly sensitive and articulate teenager will say, "Other kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rick be dead when we still have his poems?"
  • Options
    Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lord Flashheart dead ?

He's in heaven now, shagging every nun senseless as we speak. :D
  • Options
    soapmaniasoapmania Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    Absolutely gutted about this news, what a guy! What a talent!! 56 is no age whatsoever, poor guy! :(

R.i.p Rik
  • Options
    PennyPenny Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really shocked and saddened by this news. Rik was great in everything he was in and so talented with it. He was a unique talent. He will be greatly missed.

Condolences to his family.

R..I.P. Rik
  • Options
    ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Ive put on my Smoking Jacket. Along with my Esther Rantzen cocktail of Pernod, Ouzo, Marmalade and Salt. Will be drinking in his honour, Sprouts Mexicane cooking in the Oven. With a pint of Absinthe for backup.

Woof !!! :D
  • Options
    BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe it.

R.I.P. Kevin Turvey, PRick/The People's Poet, Richie Richard, Mad Gerald, Lord Flashheart, Sir Alan, etc.

Far, far too young, and not on tv anywhere nearly enough in recent years.
    We've lost one of the very best forever.
  • Options
    lucy777lucy777 Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such sad news. Met him once, he was funny, charming & handsome. His autograph to me read 'To Lucy, I'll never forget this fateful afternoon' :cool: RIP Rik.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shocker.....didn't even realise he was 56. I wonder what he died from?
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP (P)Rick

The press are saying was found dead at home this afternoon so a sudden event probably caused his death.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,217
    Forum Member
    RIP People's Poet,he's up there now putting the industriall strength floor clleaner on ice....
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richie: "Wait!"
    Eddie: "What?"
    Richie: "Maybe it's a producer with a wonderful part!"
    Eddie: "Oo-eer!"
    Richie: "I said wonderful part, not attractive willy"

:D

.. from Filthy, Rich and Catflap ..
  • Options
    miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So very gutted, what a horrible day. I would imagine his death might be something to do with on-going health difficulties following his quad bike accident all those years ago, I don't think he was ever back to full health following that. Who can really say though? All I know is that we've lost someone truly wonderful today. Much respect to his family.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was such a shock when I glanced at the BBC News website earlier and found out.

I can remember seeing Rik & Ade, French & Saunders, Ben Elton and Lennie Henry at the Birmingham Hippodrome several decades ago. It was the most fabulous anarchic evening.

This just makes me feel incredibly sad - he was so talented both in drama and comedy.

I think I will remember him most for just being so very funny, often without even saying anything. That clip of him pulling faces and mugging at the camera when he noticed he was being filmed posted earlier in the thread is brilliant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it even possible to read these lines without hearing him? :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0526714/quotes
  • Options
    sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,355
    Forum Member
    Sad to hear this news earlier, completely out of the blue. Especially sad as he was fantastic in Man Down recently, he had that glint in his eye again that he was going to do something crazy :) Greg Davies said he would've been more prominent in the next series...

It is notable how well remembered he is from Blackadder, when he only had a handful of short appearances (including Mad Gerald in the dungeon in S1) - as well as his great performances in The Young Ones, Bottom and particularly as Alan B'Stard - one of the funniest comedies in ITV's history!

Interesting to see he had a very small part in An American Werewolf in London, apparently (2nd chess player :D ).

If nothing else, he contributed to easily the best Comic Relief single with Cliff!

As with many others, I don't normally bat much of an eyelid when a celebrity passes away (though always respectful), but when it's someone who was a regular memory from your teenage years, it does get to you a bit - however irrational. Maybe it just makes you realise you're also starting to get on a bit...

RIP Rik - as Alan B'Stard, you'd have probably made a better job of it than some of the 'real life' political leaders :)
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    RIP (P)Rick

The press are saying was found dead at home this afternoon so a sudden event probably caused his death.

Apparently since his serious accident in 98, he suffered with epilepsy.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    Is it even possible to read these lines without hearing him? :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0526714/quotes
    It is! Lord Flasheart had some great lines in Blackadder Goes Forth.
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad to hear this news. RIP Rik, I will never forget you as Rik in The Young Ones or Richie in Bottom. Or Drop Dead Fred. Actually, there are too many great roles to mention! :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    It is! Lord Flasheart had some great lines in Blackadder Goes Forth.

Is the story not that Mayall came up with the lines so quickly that Elton basically left him to it and he wrote the character himself in the end? I've no idea how true it is, but it's one of those stories I really hope is :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Gutted.
    Absolutely gutted.
    Rik - ya bastard!
    :(
  • Options
    Mrs TartanMrs Tartan Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    I've never been moved to express my sympathies at a famous person's passing before but Rik Mayall was one of my comedy heroes and his unexpected passing at such a young age is a real shock.

My thoughts are with the family he leaves behind.

RIP Rik - a true comedy legend xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to have been a sudden death, which suggests a heart attack.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    It seems to have been a sudden death, which suggests a heart attack.

Given his severe head injury, it could have been a seizure. I believe he developed epilepsy as a result of the accident.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grew up watching him, been a massive fan of his as long as I remember.

Can't believe this is real. :(