Options

Whitney Houston dead

Comments

• Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    There's not even a suggestion that illegal drugs played any part in Houston's death anyway.
    For all we know, she may have just slipped getting into the bath and knocked herself out.

I am not saying they did - but was responding to a post which implied that she did and that meant drugs shouldn't be legalised.

I was making a general point - not a specific one to the events of last night.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may just be me but I find it morbid when this happens. How does someone's music change and suddenly become more appealing to you than it was before because they're dead :confused:

It may be because people are reminded again of how great the music was. Or a new generation is introduced to the music.

This also happens when a song reappears on a TV talent show, used in adverts, or covered in Glee. It's just more noticeable when someone dies because it is international news, meaning bigger sales. Plus the appreciation of someone lost is much greater. You don't know what you had til it's gone.

Also since she was popular in the 80s and 90s, many may want a digital version, rather than the cassette tape or vinyl they originally had.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I am not saying they did - but was responding to a post which implied that she did and that meant drugs shouldn't be legalised.

I was making a general point - not a specific one to the events of last night.

I know MartyM8, I was adding to your post rather than refuting it! Should have been clearer..
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitney was a massive talent, one that has brought me great pleasure for years, and I grieve over her early death, whatever the cause. God bless Whitney RIP.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably another case of pushing the self distruct button, I never rated her a great singer sad for her family of course there are people who once they have fame never want that to go, They want that constant high as though they are on stage all the time it has happened in the past & no doubt in the future as well.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    We don't all have Twitter accounts, so there's no harm in them being relayed here.

Perhaps people choose not to have accounts because nearly all of it is trivial childish rubbish.:sleep:
  • Options
    MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    Toggler wrote: »
    Whitney was a massive talent, one that has brought me great pleasure for years, and I grieve over her early death, whatever the cause. God bless Whitney RIP.

Absolutely - we need to celebrate her life and remember her at her best...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYFHAvULvJ0
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally gutted when I heard last night.

She's always been artist who was just "there" for as long as I've been alive.

I hope, for her own legacy and her family's memories, there weren't drugs involved. It was be nice at this time to just remember the music.
  • Options
    dirrrtydirrrty Posts: 8,442
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    what time did it happen ? i was on here late ish then went to bed, so it wouldve been just after that

News came out about 1am
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dejavue wrote: »
    It may be because people are reminded again of how great the music was. Or a new generation is introduced to the music.

This also happens when a song reappears on a TV talent show, used in adverts, or covered in Glee. It's just more noticeable when someone dies because it is international news, meaning bigger sales. Plus the appreciation of someone lost is much greater. You don't know what you had til it's gone.

Also since she was popular in the 80s and 90s, many may want a digital version, rather than the cassette tape or vinyl they originally had.
    The only surprising thing about it is that anyone is still surprised.

Take That not dying, but doing a documentary before they got back together was enough for all of their songs from the first time around to get a boost, and for their greatest hits to sell by the bucket-load to people who only just realised they liked a lot of their music and would like to own it.

The last point is particularly true for an artist of Whitney's vintage. Her second album was my first - and I bought it on vinyl. It got a lot of play at the time, but I never did replace it with a CD as by then I was more interested in new music. Now I'm thinking I'd like to listen to it again, but I can't because the album and my record player are both at my mum and dad's house!

I have also realised that while I don't have any of her music in digital format, I like a lot of her music. Hearing odd songs on the radio didn't make me rush to buy any albums, but seeing so many of them together today is making me think I would like to get her greatest hits at least.

So I'm not suddenly realising I like her music. I've just been reminded of how good it is, and i'm sure that's the same for thousands of other people my age.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Rip :(
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    4Music are practically spending the whole day playing Whitney. I've been watching for about half an hour and am tearing up. :(

Why, did you know her personally??
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely - we need to celebrate her life and remember her at her best...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYFHAvULvJ0

That performance is just awesome. I think I must have watched it about 2 dozen times since i first saw it a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    NPPNPP Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP to the The Voice, the greatest of all time.
  • Options
    NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazellis wrote: »
    Why, did you know her personally??

Why should they know her personally?

Why do people feel the need to belittle those who find the death of an idol sad, and lets face it, Whitney's music is aplenty with ballads which are sad in their own right anyway.
  • Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    Any speculation could be argued to be silly until confirmed, surely?

No any speculation could be argued to be just speculation, but certainly not silly given her history of addiction and abuse.

People wouldnt mention drugs if drugs hadnt played a part before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what time did it happen ? i was on here late ish then went to bed, so it wouldve been just after that

I heard it between 3 and 4am.

To add my two pennorth, I think she had a technically perfect voice but sang without any emotion. A bit like watching a chinese ballet dancer. Not a massive loss to the music industry really; only a massive loss to those who knew her personally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a real shock as my Mum is a big fan of her music. It used to be Whitney Houston, UB40 or Michael Jackson playing at home when I was young. It is a real tragedy we have lost Michael, Amy Winehouse and Whitney so young. RIP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard it between 3 and 4am.

To add my two pennorth, I think she had a technically perfect voice but sang without any emotion. A bit like watching a chinese ballet dancer. Not a massive loss to the music industry really; only a massive loss to those who knew her personally.

Thats a fair enough assessment but its funny how people see things differently.

I thought the opposite,everytime i saw her perform I thought what was great about her was in fact the emotion in her voice. Early Whitney though.
  • Options
    HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NathalieR wrote: »
    Why should they know her personally?

Why do people feel the need to belittle those who find the death of an idol sad, and lets face it, Whitney's music is aplenty with ballads which are sad in their own right anyway.

Not only that, but her songs can mark periods of time and events in people's lives; my friend's mother met her husband at a disco when I Wanna Dance With Somebody was a hit, they played it as their first dance together at their wedding a couple of years later, my grandmother died around the time of The Bodyguard and songs from The Bodyguard LP remind me of that time. So it's sad to look back on those events and know the person who reminds you of those times has now gone.
  • Options
    lovely_ladylovely_lady Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    It is sad news but I wish her music could have died with her.
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I heard the news at 1:15am, and it was being reported on Twitter for around 20 minutes (and when I looked on here, this thread was made and only had a couple of posts), so I guess around 12:45am.
  • Options
    NPPNPP Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever people make comments like "Did you know her personally", it's proof that they just don't have that connection to music like others do. For many people, an artist is an INTEGRAL part of their life. It's someone they've grown up with, witnessed their ups and downs, rooted for them, cried with them, danced with them, smiled and laughed with them. And for many, including myself, Whitney Houston was and IS that artist.
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NPP wrote: »
    Whenever people make comments like "Did you know her personally", it's proof that they just don't have that connection to music like others do. For many people, an artist is an INTEGRAL part of their life. It's someone they've grown up with, witnessed their ups and downs, rooted for them, cried with them, danced with them, smiled and laughed with them. And for many, including myself, Whitney Houston was and IS that artist.

Absolutely! I grew up with Whitney's music (and Michael Jackson), so their deaths affected/have affected greatly. Plus, it is always sad when somebody dies. She was in the public eye, so she was also known to millions of people. She had a 'connection' whether people knew her personally or not - same as anybody else in the public eye.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    Not only that, but her songs can mark periods of time and events in people's lives; my friend's mother met her husband at a disco when I Wanna Dance With Somebody was a hit, they played it as their first dance together at their wedding a couple of years later, my grandmother died around the time of The Bodyguard and songs from The Bodyguard LP remind me of that time. So it's sad to look back on those events and know the person who reminds you of those times has now gone.

Yep so many of her songs take me back somewhere. When I was an angst filled teen, permantly heart broken, so many of her songs I felt i could relate to (as teens do lol!) and I just admired her voice and music :)