Options

Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 shot down near Ukraine-Russia border

Comments

• Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Indeed it is, unless of course it's the USA doing the shooting down and the passenger plane belongs to Iran,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

Just remember that last part when you hear US politicians demanding that Putin does as they ask, or you hear people calling the Russians names,

I am NOT for one second defending those that murdered all those innocent people, just pointing out that some of us have a memory and that the USA are bloody hypocrites.

I agree about the hypocrisy but I seriously doubt it was murder. The only people who deliberately blow up civilians are the sort of people that would be claiming credit for the attack the second it happened and as no one has done so I think we can safely rule out a deliberate attack. Accidents happen and when they do they are tragic but they remain accidents and unless everyone who ever accidentally killed a civilian in war has to face a murder charge we can't really be calling these people murderers. Far more likely that they genuinely thought they were shooting down a Ukranian military transport but hit a passenger plane by mistake.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just in case people have missed it-

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2014/07/ukraine-pm-resigns-amid-parliamentary-turmoil-2014724145321500842.html

Ukraine's prime minister has announced his resignation in protest of the disbanding of the ruling coalition in parliament following the withdrawal of several pro-European parties.

The Bbc appears to have missed this..
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    'Two Dutch Military Planes Carrying Victims From The Malaysia Plane Crash Land In The Netherlands'

Oh dear, they could have worded that better :/

I thought that too! When I first read that on the bottom of the screen on the news, I thought 'Oh shit! How much worse can it get for the passengers' families?!'
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just in case people have missed it-

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2014/07/ukraine-pm-resigns-amid-parliamentary-turmoil-2014724145321500842.html

Ukraine's prime minister has announced his resignation in protest of the disbanding of the ruling coalition in parliament following the withdrawal of several pro-European parties.

The Bbc appears to have missed this..
    Not missed it, look the New York Times has reported it, so it's not being ignored in the West like you're trying to imply.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/07/25/world/europe/ukraine-parliament-takes-step-toward-elections.html?_r=1&referrer=
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Alexander Borodai, PM of the Donetsk People's Republic has said (to CNN & BBC) that they were told by the OSCE representatives not to touch the bodies, hence why they were left in fields for days decomposing.
    He would say that wouldn't he? I wouldn't believe a word he says. He is ironically a neo-nazi, something which opponents of the Kyiv government like to accuse them of being.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Latest news is that victims' credit cards are being used. Albeit the Mail.

;-) ....
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    The piece of wreckage in this picture is the section under cockpit windows ..... full of shrapnel holes.

Doing detective work yourself - it was obviously hit nose first my a missile and not from behind.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/25/1406244171021_wps_7_A_piece_of_the_wreckage_i.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    The piece of wreckage in this picture is the section under cockpit windows ..... full of shrapnel holes.

Doing detective work yourself - it was obviously hit nose first my a missile and not from behind.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/25/1406244171021_wps_7_A_piece_of_the_wreckage_i.jpg

Wow :(

Even if the plane survived that I'm guessing the crew wouldn't.

That picture does really bring home how unlikely it is that this plane was mistaken as a fighter.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Why did it take so long to find? Biggest piece of MH17 wreckage found to date (with its windows intact) and more bodies discovered in woodland as the Dutch take over responsibility for the crash site
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2704975/Malaysian-crash-investigators-bodies-parts-passenger-jet-MH17-WEEK-downed-Ukraine.html
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,512
    Forum Member
    The Malaysia Airlines Amsterdam-Kuala Lumpur midday route has now officially been renamed MH19.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is awful that they still looking for and still finding bodies after nine days. More needed to be done from day one of the crash. All parties should have done more. But egos stood in the way of a parting of the ways to allow the recovery of the victims on the same day. Instead bodies are being found over a week after the crash. God knows what state they are in after being left under the scorching ukrainian summer sun for over a week.
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,855
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »

That picture does really bring home how unlikely it is that this plane was mistaken as a fighter.

At over 30,000 feet, one wouldn't know what sort of plane it was.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But wouldnt there have been some kind of evidence of where the plane had come from. Surely they would have known if the plane had took off from inside ukraine. Possibly by it still climbing. A plane flying over the UK would be in at its highest if it was a long haul flight. MH17 would probably have been at its cruising altitude. So that would have shown it wasnt a military aircraft and no threat
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    Only if one was in charge of a sophisticated surface to air missile system but didn't know how to use it.
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,855
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    But wouldnt there have been some kind of evidence of where the plane had come from. Surely they would have known if the plane had took off from inside ukraine. Possibly by it still climbing. A plane flying over the UK would be in at its highest if it was a long haul flight. MH17 would probably have been at its cruising altitude. So that would have shown it wasnt a military aircraft and no threat

Ukraine military aircraft have flown at similar heights. But in any case, no authorities are seriously suggesting that the rebels intended to deliberately shoot down a passenger plane. It was obviously a mistake by incompetent people in charge of sophisticated weaponry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »

Ukraine is actually a very large country, so a civilian plane would have reached cruising altitude before it reached that area, even if it had taken off from Kiev.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The British RT reporter Graham Phillips was dumped at the Polish border and banned from Ukraine for 3 years, after being repeatedly interrogated & threatened. Ukrainian forces having previously denied he was abducted by them:

https://twitter.com/GrahamWP_UK

http://rt.com/news/175676-ukraine-deport-rt-contributor/
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    Ukraine is actually a very large country, so a civilian plane would have reached cruising altitude before it reached that area, even if it had taken off from Kiev.

But it would have had to have been descending for some time in order to do anything threatening in rebel controlled territory... and it wasn't. And even the most basic kind of intelligence - eyeballs mark one - over the preceding few days would have told them that it almost certainly WAS a civilian airliner in transit.

If it was an 'accident', it was the worst kind of "who cares?" negligence, and that in itself can constitute a criminal act or war crime. No wonder they've been denying access and apparently messing with the evidence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »

They either identified the craft and fired, when nobody, even me who can just about differentiate 'big plane' and 'little plane' could mistake a passenger jet for a military plane or they shot at anything that was in the sky. Neither are good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    But it would have had to have been descending for some time in order to do anything threatening in rebel controlled territory... and it wasn't. And even the most basic kind of intelligence - eyeballs mark one - over the preceding few days would have told them that it almost certainly WAS a civilian airliner in transit.

If it was an 'accident', it was the worst kind of "who cares?" negligence, and that in itself can constitute a criminal act or war crime.

Indeed.

If it really had been a Ukrainian transport plane it's doubtful it would be flying so high in that area, as chances are it would have been coming in to land somewhere to supply the troops, so would have been lower.

But all the evidence so far still points to a catastrophic and tragic mistake by the rebels. I doubt very much they would deliberately be targeting civilian airliners, and indeed the phone calls/radio calls intercepted seem to suggest they thought it was a Ukrainian plane at first.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    But all the evidence so far still points to a catastrophic and tragic mistake by the rebels. I doubt very much they would deliberately be targeting civilian airliners, and indeed the phone calls/radio calls intercepted seem to suggest they thought it was a Ukrainian plane at first.

I have never said anything else - it was probably a mistake - BUT a mistake arising from negligence can constitute a crime or war crime and that's why the rebels and their facilitators/suppliers/paymasters Russia are doing everything they can to cause delay and obfuscation, as the passage of time will make it increasingly difficult ever to pin down the perpetrators and get to the full facts.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never said anything else - it was probably a mistake - BUT a mistake arising from negligence can constitute a crime or war crime and that's why the rebels and their facilitators/suppliers/paymasters Russia are doing everything they can to cause delay and obfuscation, as the passage of time will make it increasingly difficult ever to pin down the perpetrators and get to the full facts.
    However if as reported there were Ukrainian SU 25/27s flying near the path of the Boeing that changes things significantly.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I never said you did. :confused:

And I agree, and have said much the same throughout the thread.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d@ve......imo it was certainly not intentional as what would the pro-Russian activists have to gain by the shoot down of a civilian aircraft? Absolutely nothing......but everything to lose.

The aircraft was owned and operated by Malaysia so not even politically involved.

The majority of passengers on board were from the Netherlands. Once again, not even a country which could be seen as politically anti pro-Russia in the Ukraine problems.

However, if we are to talk about accountability over negligence and making it a war crime, then precisely the same must be levelled at the US in the shoot down of Iran Air. They too must be brought to justice. And worse still for the US, one of their own Naval Captains in the area at the same time spoke out against the behaviour of the Vincennes Captain in the week prior to the event.

That it was a civil aircraft operated by Iran and packed with almost 300 Iranians, proved even worse for the US. After all, politically they weren't then and still aren't now, exactly allies or even neutral.

Worth reading the link to keep reminding ourselves;

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/07/24/everyone-seems-to-have-forgotten-the-time-the-u-s-shot-down-a-passenger-jet-killing-290-and-then-tried-to-cover-it-up/