Options

Can friendships work if you don't have anything in common?

Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi. I know this may be a silly question but I have always wanted to know other people's views on this.
I am constantly told that you need to have a lot in common with people to have lasting friendships. However I think of marriage as an example (and stereotypes for the sake of the point I am trying to get across). So man really into football, woman really into cooking or going shopping but yet the marriage works. Not many women like football (virtually none I have met do) so if a marriage can work with little things in common then surely a friendship can?

Comments

• Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, sometimes you just click. I have friends I share few interests with; different tastes and different lives. But you still have a good time when you meet up and talk about what each of you enjoy?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I think they can. I have a friend with whom I share no common interests at all. When I see her, I can happily listen to her tales about her family/life/anything really as she is a gifted storyteller. I can listen to her stories for hours, she is bloody hilarious. She is also a great listener. I have known her for over 25 years now and she never changes. :)

So, yes I do think it's possible.
  • Options
    Miss-DaisyMiss-Daisy Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I think I have at least something in common with all my friends. We might have very different interests but there'll be something else we share like values or a sense of humour. I think you also need to be different in certain areas too. If my boyfriend was as bossy as I am, the relationship would have ended long ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Yeah, sometimes you just click. I have friends I share few interests with; different tastes and different lives. But you still have a good time when you meet up and talk about what each of you enjoy?

Yes I think I have that with one friend. We don't really have anything in common but somehow the friendship works. Having people saying you need to have things in common just sounds like rubbish to me. Personally I don't think there are rules on how friendships work apart from the obvious having to like being around the other person.
    Yes, I think they can. I have a friend with whom I share no common interests at all. When I see her, I can happily listen to her tales about her family/life/anything really as she is a gifted storyteller. I can listen to her stories for hours, she is bloody hilarious. She is also a great listener. I have known her for over 25 years now and she never changes. :)

So, yes I do think it's possible.

My mum's best friend has known the family since my sister was a baby so over 30 years and they don't have much in common at all. I think they do share some music interests but not much. However they are still friends after all this time. Friendships are strange. I've always believed that having friends with too much in common can be a bad thing because then you'd be more like rivals and competing against each other.
    Miss-Daisy wrote: »
    I think I have at least something in common with all my friends. We might have very different interests but there'll be something else we share like values or a sense of humour. I think you also need to be different in certain areas too. If my boyfriend was as bossy as I am, the relationship would have ended long ago.

I don't know what me and one of my friends has in common at all. Somehow the friendship just works. I've always believed people can be friends with anyone and all the talk about needing to have X amount in common is rubbish. I guess I just wanted to know what other people think about it.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I think there are different friendships and it depends how/when the friendship is initially formed. For example my oldest friend I met aged 11 at school and we're now 44 and we just click; shared sense of humour and we like to hear what each other gets up to. Whereas friends I've made at work, the thing we had in common was work, and now I'm not in that environment we have less in common. Does that make sense?

I think maybe it comes down to shared values, rather than common interests?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I have very little in common with my female friends. They all go to have their hair/nails done, and go to extercise classes. I on the other hand, spend my weekends at rallies, preparing our rally car & going to gigs. They have little interest in what I do, and like wise with me - but we still listen to what each other have to say, and it makes good conversation as we ask questions about each others lives & hobbies :)
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it more a case of personalities clicking that makes a long lasting friendship not common interests, though a common interest may of been the reason a friendship started originally.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Errr.... I'm a woman and I LOVE football and so to most of my female friends, so does my mum. >:( :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there are different friendships and it depends how/when the friendship is initially formed. For example my oldest friend I met aged 11 at school and we're now 44 and we just click; shared sense of humour and we like to hear what each other gets up to. Whereas friends I've made at work, the thing we had in common was work, and now I'm not in that environment we have less in common. Does that make sense?

I think maybe it comes down to shared values, rather than common interests?

I didn't have many friends in school. I got bullied really badly so found it difficult making friends there. However I did make a few friends there in 6th form. Some have faded away and didn't keep in touch, most of the others only keep in touch over facebook so are aquaintances now. Only one from school days has bothered to meet up in person and we don't have much in common at all. However we get on fine. It somehow works.
    Renepoos wrote: »
    I have very little in common with my female friends. They all go to have their hair/nails done, and go to extercise classes. I on the other hand, spend my weekends at rallies, preparing our rally car & going to gigs. They have little interest in what I do, and like wise with me - but we still listen to what each other have to say, and it makes good conversation as we ask questions about each others lives & hobbies :)

Yes listening is good. It is more interesting when people can do what they enjoy and have other friends who do different things because you each have something to talk about. I agree with you.
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I think it more a case of personalities clicking that makes a long lasting friendship not common interests, though a common interest may of been the reason a friendship started originally.

I think this is true. The only common thing me and a friend had was going to the same school. But we get on alright. I suppose I would find it irritating if all my friends liked all the same things as me because I am not looking for a clone of myself lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Errr.... I'm a woman and I LOVE football and so to most of my female friends, so does my mum. >:( :p

If you read my post I did say I was using stereotypes in my example to get my point across so you can calm down and move on.
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think friendship is as much about shared values (or at least compatible ones)and shared experiences than shared interests. One of my oldest friends, when we first became friends we had similar interests. 10 years later and our interests have changed considerably, we have different lifestyles and hobbies, and I’ve often said if I were to meet her now for the first time we probably wouldn’t have become such firm friends. However, it’s the history we have together and the fact that we both share similar opinions and ideas about the world which cement the friendship and keep it going, on a much deeper level than some of the friends I have who just happen to be into the same stuff as me.

There’s a lot that goes into friendships, a lot that makes people drawn to each other and enjoy each other’s company. And that changes over time, as the people develop the friendship bonds develop – I certainly think it’s disingenuous to assume it is only shared interests which create a close bond.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might sound a bit simplistic but the only thing you need to have in common is enjoying the other's company.

I agree that shared experiences are more important than shared interests. On paper I don't have much in common with many of my friends but we have been through things together which create strong bonds that can last a lifetime.
  • Options
    David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best relationship are yin and yang, were you have a good balance.

Everyone needs their own interests but sometimes appreciating others differences helps too.

Obviously it's nice to have something in common but sometimes the things you ultimately have in common are the ability to let people have their own interests and they they don't feel intimidated by you and find you make a better friend than someone insisting you like a certain move or food or topic to talk about.

If that happens both ways, you made it! But people that are so different from me I find harder to get along with as it becomes a little forceful.
  • Options
    123keithy123123keithy123 Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I promised myself I am not going to ramble on this post
    Lets see if it works.....

The best friend I ever had hated me when she first met me and I didn't like her to much either.

Over time though we built this amazing friendship, Where we would only have to look at each other to tell how we where feeling.

We helped each other through so much and had a bond that neither of us could explain.
    People would always pass judgement on how we could be friends.
    Because we where so entirely different.

Cant really explain what we had but it was special and together we just clicked.

Honestly I cant even explain what it was.

So yes is the answer to You're question OP.

Love and Hate are very close.