Options

New 802.11n router coming in August

13»

Comments

• Options
    kw4121kw4121 Posts: 3,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have been having issues with the original netgear router that shipped in 2006 when i signed up to sky broadband! the wifi signal is intermittent and the router keeps dropping out even via lan! so i called up the sky broadband team yesterday 6th september 2011 told them my issues and they said that i could have a new ( old style router like i have now for £28.00) or the new N Router which the rep recommended as the better option. This was quite good customer service in not just fobbing me off with the old one and not including the new one as a choice so i went with the new one which is £35.00 and i checked this morning on my sky and its shows a shipped and should be here in 3 to 5 days! will post when it arrives and let people know what my thought are compared to the current one!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Check the voltage output from the Netgear power supply.
    My Sky/Netgear DG934G was doing similar things until I checked that the voltage was lower than the rated 12volts.
    Got a replacement power supply from Amazon for £10 and it's now rock-solid.
  • Options
    kw4121kw4121 Posts: 3,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greyowl wrote: »
    Check the voltage output from the Netgear power supply.
    My Sky/Netgear DG934G was doing similar things until I checked that the voltage was lower than the rated 12volts.
    Got a replacement power supply from Amazon for £10 and it's now rock-solid.

that may be true but as i have the new router on its way i am hoping this will be a mute point! but thanks for the info Greyowl !

it may be of use to other ppl on the forums experiencing the same issues!
  • Options
    SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grey owl in my experience the new N type router performs less well then the old G type. What is supposed to be th advantage?
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    THOMO wrote: »
    I'm an excisting Sky customer and i've just ordered the new router from Sky, at a cost of £35.00. It will take 3-5 days for delivery.
    Ian.

Why would you bother I doubt you will notice little real world improvement, besides you can use any router not just sky's. I know they don't like you doing this but I doubt they can legally force you to use just their own since unfair terms and conditions came into force.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    kw4121 wrote: »
    i have been having issues with the original netgear router that shipped in 2006 when i signed up to sky broadband! the wifi signal is intermittent and the router keeps dropping out even via lan! so i called up the sky broadband team yesterday 6th september 2011 told them my issues and they said that i could have a new ( old style router like i have now for £28.00) or the new N Router which the rep recommended as the better option. This was quite good customer service in not just fobbing me off with the old one and not including the new one as a choice so i went with the new one which is £35.00 and i checked this morning on my sky and its shows a shipped and should be here in 3 to 5 days! will post when it arrives and let people know what my thought are compared to the current one!

My Sky Netgear router - the dark grey one, drops the signal every time our Microwave oven is put on, always has, regardless of channel frequency. Not our microwave either as I borrowed next doors and the same thing happens. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Grey owl in my experience the new N type router performs less well then the old G type. What is supposed to be th advantage?
    The advantage is 802.11n (Higher bit rates than 802.11g's 54 mb/s.) but in order to take advantage of 802.11n, one needs to be using 802.11n enabled devices with it. Older 802.11g devices will operate no faster than they did before.