Options

Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't know why Gordon and Margaret are getting all the criticism this week. Leanne and Alan weren't much better. After giving all that put and shut up spiel, Carole was a bit daft because she was the one who left the comp but it was Leanne and Alan's horrible feedback and a low score that did it. So Leanne and Alan weren't that nice. Leanne had an arsey face at breakfast, looked dirty and had the cheek to charge £12 for the privilege. Then, on payment day she did her drama queen act. Yes, Leanne everyone else was horrible and slagging each other off, while you were lovely. And BTW Leanne, teddies are teddy bears NOT cuddly toys.

teddy
    noun
    plural noun: teddies
    a soft toy bear.
    a woman's all-in-one undergarment. :blush::D

Anyway here's to the end of another glorious week of FIAB and here are some interesting reviews from Tripadvisor.

Wallamhill House - Margaret and Gordon
    Really nice, comfortable, and relaxing. Gordon & Margaret had thought of everything and were particularly good hosts - even showing me their own DVD of the flooding of the River Nith.
    :o zzzzzzzzzz!

Bridge Farmhouse - Glyn and Paul
    The owners, Glynn and Gisela were very hospitable and nothing felt as if it was too much trouble.
    Shame we didn't see her. :(

The Talbot - Leanne and Alan
    Never again will i ever visit this place, iv never been to a place where the service was awful, the food was awful and the landlady was so horrible. waitresses were sloppy/ slouching on their phones constantly, the landlady charges around telling customers all about her sex life and disturbed our meal a couple of times to talk about her self, the food hasn't been cooked to the normal standards of how it used to be when the jennings had the place so i will not be revisiting this place.
    :o:D
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex used to like the loo roll hanging one way. I used to like it hanging the other way.
    There is only one correct way... the 'over' way... :D It lends itself to speedy and efficient tongueing. <smirk>

In one of our loos, we have a dual ended loo roll holder so I have one over and one under for the convenience and satisfaction of all guests. :cool: :D
  • Options
    Lost TripperLost Tripper Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hooter wrote: »
    funniest thing I`ve read all week...really made me giggle:D:D

He also used have framed press cuttings of himself all over the place including the ladies loo. He was blissfully unaware of the felt tip alternations to the pictures done by lady solicitors(! ) and of the 'boll*cks bingo' cards we used to all have on his awful meetings. He thought we were all deeply interested when in fact we were sweating to cross off something like 'blue sky thinking' to win the card.

Sorry to be off topic but those tongued toilet rolls started a chain of thinking back to how we lit up those dark days.:D:D
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Torch. Another loo roll "corrector" here :) I would only consider leaving them the wrong way round if the cats had 'a thing' for loo rolls, to make it more difficult and less tempting for them. Luckily ours don't.
    I would never pay to stay where there are cats. I wouldn't eat at friends even who own cats. Dogs yes who stay on the floor but cats who walk over work surfaces and plant their dirt ridden bums on bread/chopping boards, NO.
    If you have a cat, please say before I book as I will decline.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,775
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    i don't know why Gordon and Margaret are getting all the criticism this week. Leanne and Alan weren't much better. After giving all that put and shut up spiel, Carole was a bit daft because she was the one who left the comp but it was Leanne and Alan's horrible feedback and a low score that did it. So Leanne and Alan weren't that nice. Leanne had an arsey face at breakfast, looked dirty and had the cheek to charge £12 for the privilege. Then, on payment day she did her drama queen act. Yes, Leanne everyone else was horrible and slagging each other off, while you were lovely. And BTW Leanne, teddies are teddy bears NOT cuddly toys.

She looked terrible didn't she? But all the way through the week I thought she looked as though she had been dragged through a hedge backwards. Not sure how she saw herself, but I saw Annie Oakley on a bad day. :o
  • Options
    HumptyDumpyHumptyDumpy Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and what's so special about that Gleneagles?
  • Options
    theidtheid Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    Bad production planning if the whole thing collapses if one competitor drops out - and it DID collapse. Bridge Farm was the only place I would want to stay, even without a tv.
    Beautiful surroundings, gorgeous rooms (the ageing but clean tiles didn't upset me), fantastic breakfast and really welcoming, pleasant hosts. None of the others came close - and they knew it, hence the payment deductions.
  • Options
    Hershey2Hershey2 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was a very strange week of 4IAB, I can't help but think a lot went on 'off camera' tbh.

The whole 'illness' thing doesn't ring true to me for one thing.

I don't see the Scottish couple as the 'baddies' particularly, in fact I think Leanne was a lot worse...imo.

But their place and Caroles did smack of retirement homes, not my cup of tea at all..and I'm 60! Not all of us oldies are like that!

That said, I wouldn't want to stay at Pauls either, his pompousness over the tv thing irritated me.

So a rock and a hard place decision if I had to choose one for the win, and I guess I will be 'tarred and feathered' for saying so, but for me, it would have to be the Scottish couple.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hershey2 wrote: »
    This was a very strange week of 4IAB, I can't help but think a lot went on 'off camera' tbh.

The whole 'illness' thing doesn't ring true to me for one thing.

I don't see the Scottish couple as the 'baddies' particularly, in fact I think Leanne was a lot worse...imo.

But their place and Caroles did smack of retirement homes, not my cup of tea at all..and I'm 60! Not all of us oldies are like that!

That said, I wouldn't want to stay at Pauls either, his pompousness over the tv thing irritated me.

So a rock and a hard place decision if I had to choose one for the win, and I guess I will be 'tarred and feathered' for saying so, but for me, it would have to be the Scottish couple.

The Scottish couple certainly gave the best value for money, the breakfast in particular looked terrific. Personally I would pass on everyone's properties last week, but oh boy did I enjoy watching the programme, best one this series for me:)
  • Options
    KIZZY007KIZZY007 Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    One thing really irritates me is the way they announce the winner. O.K. Gordon and Margaret got paid in full by the other two couples who in turn were both underpaid. The scene is set for the contestants to sit around the table while everyone with baited breath waits for the envelope to be opened,the dramatic music increases and surprise surprise Gordon and Margaret act so shocked,thrilled and delighted that they've actually won. Somehow they always manage to get the other couples to be generous with their praise and raise their glasses to obnoxious cheaters which is beyond me.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    The Scottish couple certainly gave the best value for money, the breakfast in particular looked terrific. Personally I would pass on everyone's properties last week, but oh boy did I enjoy watching the programme, best one this series for me:)

I'd echo that. None of them were great, B&B wise it was a very average week. Entertainment wise however....:D
    KIZZY007 wrote: »
    One thing really irritates me is the way they announce the winner. O.K. Gordon and Margaret got paid in full by the other two couples who in turn were both underpaid. The scene is set for the contestants to sit around the table while everyone with baited breath waits for the envelope to be opened,the dramatic music increases and surprise surprise Gordon and Margaret act so shocked,thrilled and delighted that they've actually won. Somehow they always manage to get the other couples to be generous with their praise and raise their glasses to obnoxious cheaters which is beyond me.

I hate it when they do that. Its totally obvious whose won and yet they still try and create a bit of tension. Not needed when the results crystal clear. Perhaps the last bit you mention is some sort of contractual obligation on the contestants part. What they actually think and say off camera at the end might be a whole other story. ;-)
  • Options
    ICanBeBotheredICanBeBothered Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Mutter wrote: »
    I would never pay to stay where there are cats. I wouldn't eat at friends even who own cats. Dogs yes who stay on the floor but cats who walk over work surfaces and plant their dirt ridden bums on bread/chopping boards, NO.
    If you have a cat, please say before I book as I will decline.

Oh dear! Sorry I've only just gone on t'net and seen this, Mutter: I do not run a B&B, never have, never will. In fact, if anything I run the opposite of a B&B - i.e. we do what we please in our own home! It is interesting, though, that M assumed I did. I know some people on here do (the ever enlightening, brilliantly insightful Normandie and SolarSail are two that I know for sure do run a business) but not all. Personally, I have taken an interest in the programme because I have had to visit several B&Bs, have formed opinions about this business, and enjoy enormously reading about other people's experiences - both as owners and clients.

I completely agree about the cats situation: even if I don't run a B&B. I always ask anybody who is visiting us if they are allergic (whether physically or psychologically..), and I keep anti-bacterial spray and kitchen paper at hand where there is potential overlapping of cats and food preparation. However, when I am on my own, I find cats on furniture (however high up) very amusing and I am delighted that they have a penchant for it. I think it is the incongruity of seeing a living creature where you would expect only inanimate objects such as books and perhaps ornaments.

Anyway, Mutter: I would like to think that 'B&B plus cats' owners are responsible, attentive to their guests sensibilities and upfront about their feline connections.:)
  • Options
    Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,251
    Forum Member
    fiagomez wrote: »
    it was your choice of user name that gives it away (for me) ;-)

Sorry, I've got to say this: I would've thought it was Normandie's location showing as "France" was more of a giveaway :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Tun wrote: »
    I don't understand the theory that overcharging for breakfast is a way of putting people off ordering it when all the hot food apart from the eggs was already cooked and waiting on the side in the dining room. So what happens to all the bacon, sausages etc that don't get paid for and eaten? Also I think it was the presence of the hot food alongside the cereals etc that led the whinging Scotsman to ask for clarification about what was included and what was not.

I thought the same. There might as well have been a "do not touch if you haven't paid for it" sign on the hot food. If there's normally a breakfast room full of guests, what's to stop anyone sneaking a sausage or bit of bacon onto their plate? Bit of a silly way of running things in my opinion.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and what's so special about that Gleneagles?
    It really is a "destination" hotel and you'll never see it on Four in a Bed. :D
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you watch this in Canada? Can you get Channel 4 there?

I watch it on 4OD :D
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear! Sorry I've only just gone on t'net and seen this, Mutter: I do not run a B&B, never have, never will. In fact, if anything I run the opposite of a B&B - i.e. we do what we please in our own home! It is interesting, though, that M assumed I did. I know some people on here do (the ever enlightening, brilliantly insightful Normandie and SolarSail are two that I know for sure do run a business) but not all. Personally, I have taken an interest in the programme because I have had to visit several B&Bs, have formed opinions about this business, and enjoy enormously reading about other people's experiences - both as owners and clients.

I completely agree about the cats situation: even if I don't run a B&B. I always ask anybody who is visiting us if they are allergic (whether physically or psychologically..), and I keep anti-bacterial spray and kitchen paper at hand where there is potential overlapping of cats and food preparation. However, when I am on my own, I find cats on furniture (however high up) very amusing and I am delighted that they have a penchant for it. I think it is the incongruity of seeing a living creature where you would expect only inanimate objects such as books and perhaps ornaments.

Anyway, Mutter: I would like to think that 'B&B plus cats' owners are responsible, attentive to their guests sensibilities and upfront about their feline connections.:)
    I didn't think you had a B&B. SolarSail and Normandie yes. There have also been one or two others that have posted in the past, but I'm not aware of any others presently.
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordon is an absolute nob head.

I hate pensioners who think they have the right to act like total *****.

What does being a pensioner have to do with it? They have the same right (or not) as anyone of any age to act like prats. You don't give up your status as a human being when you draw your pension.
  • Options
    ICanBeBotheredICanBeBothered Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Mutter wrote: »
    I didn't think you had a B&B. SolarSail and Normandie yes. There have also been one or two others that have posted in the past, but I'm not aware of any others presently.

Thanks for the clarification, Mutter: I must have misunderstood you when you wrote "If you have a cat" etc. etc. To me it sounded directed at B&B owners.
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »

The Talbot - Leanne and Alan
    Never again will i ever visit this place, iv never been to a place where the service was awful, the food was awful and the landlady was so horrible. waitresses were sloppy/ slouching on their phones constantly, the landlady charges around telling customers all about her sex life and disturbed our meal a couple of times to talk about her self, the food hasn't been cooked to the normal standards of how it used to be when the jennings had the place so i will not be revisiting this place.
    :o:D

Snipped this bit, ewoodie, to say that I looked them up on Tripadvisor too when I read this harsh criticism. I was intrigued to see that the latest, mostly glowing reviews, refer to the place as 'under new management at last' and to Jess and Tony as running it. The review you quoted here was from July 2014, and the new reviews start in September, so it seems as if it might have been closed for refurbishment for a couple of months.

There are lots of references to 'previous bad management' and emphasis on the fact that it's now good value for money which suggests that it hadn't been at all - which would tie in with the £12 breakfasts.

I wonder when this 4 in a Bed was filmed and if Leanne and Alan are still there.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snipped this bit, ewoodie, to say that I looked them up on Tripadvisor too when I read this harsh criticism. I was intrigued to see that the latest, mostly glowing reviews, refer to the place as 'under new management at last' and to Jess and Tony as running it. The review you quoted here was from July 2014, and the new reviews start in September, so it seems as if it might have been closed for refurbishment for a couple of months.

There are lots of references to 'previous bad management' and emphasis on the fact that it's now good value for money which suggests that it hadn't been at all - which would tie in with the £12 breakfasts.

I wonder when this 4 in a Bed was filmed and if Leanne and Alan are still there.

How interesting. Thanks for that.

Just looked. Sounds like it has been sold and the previous owners ran it into the ground!
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped posting on here, but still lurk. Just popping in to say that according to their Facebook page, The Talbot Country Inn did indeed change hands last September, and the new tenants are Jess & Tony. https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Talbot-Country-Inn/595359777241537
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was uncomfortable reading the really nasty and personal comments - cretins/morons/cheats etc - about Gordon and Margaret on here. They are just an older couple who run a B&B, and run it pretty well if their reviews on Tripadvisor are to be believed, and really don't warrant those comments.

How did they 'cheat' to win? Yes, they were nitpicky - no doubt very much encouraged and egged on by production - but they paid fairly and made very fair and honest comments on payment day. They obviously pride themselves on how they run their establishment, so obviously they'd be thrilled to win.

I personally preferred the place the 2 fellas ran, and not having a TV wouldn't have bothered me for a couple of nights, but this is obviously a deal breaker to some.

As for the one who broke down in - crocodile - tears on payment day, absolutely pathetic.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    It was uncomfortable reading the really nasty and personal comments - cretins/morons/cheats etc - about Gordon and Margaret on here. They are just an older couple who run a B&B, and run it pretty well if their reviews on Tripadvisor are to be believed, and really don't warrant those comments.

How did they 'cheat' to win? Yes, they were nitpicky - no doubt very much encouraged and egged on by production - but they paid fairly and made very fair and honest comments on payment day. They obviously pride themselves on how they run their establishment, so obviously they'd be thrilled to win.

I personally preferred the place the 2 fellas ran, and not having a TV wouldn't have bothered me for a couple of nights, but this is obviously a deal breaker to some.

As for the one who broke down in - crocodile - tears on payment day, absolutely
    pathetic.

There is some merit to what you say, personally I feel there is never a need to sling insults at someone you have never met. That said Gordon and Margaret were game-players, and yes it is a game but they did seem to put themselves into a situation were they were never going to do good by their B&B (which I thought gave great value). If they were foolish enough to be edged on by the production then they will always garner criticism. It's been said before but why do so many contestants give such a bad account of themselves on the show, no wonder Leanne has given at the Talbot Inn, talk about a marketing disaster:o
  • Options
    Lost TripperLost Tripper Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    I'd echo that. None of them were great, B&B wise it was a very average week. Entertainment wise however....:D

I hate it when they do that. Its totally obvious whose won and yet they still try and create a bit of tension. Not needed when the results crystal clear. Perhaps the last bit you mention is some sort of contractual obligation on the contestants part. What they actually think and say off camera at the end might be a whole other story. ;-)

Yes it is portrayed that the owners themselves have no idea who is going to win until that envelope is opened (and the last card read out)

If they cannot do the simple mental arithmetic, they are should not be in business. When two B&Bs have been under paid and one overpaid, it is just silly that an elderly Scotsman should react with surprise and play act, punching the air as if he has just scored the winning goal against England at Wembley.
This discussion has been closed.