Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 65)

Comments

• Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm A Celebrity... jungle rumours

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-09-13/im-a-celebrity-get-me-out-of-here-2015---whos-going-into-the-jungle

Most of them sound good to me bar Gemma Collins. She is one of the most attention seeking waste of spaces on TV. IAC bosses do not put her back in there.
  • Options
    Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    James Arthur is that UKIP voters that will keep him in? (He killed his own career for homophobic comments)
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    James Arthur is that UKIP voters that will keep him in? (He killed his own career for homophobic comments)

Yes he's another one I'd rather keep out of the public eye and away from IAC.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Arthur is that UKIP voters that will keep him in? (He killed his own career for homophobic comments)[/QUOTE)
    Not likely to be on speaking terms with Joe Mc Elderry then. Also looking like a young Ian Brady can't have been helpful to his career either.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    A lot of nonsense has been written in here about CBB today, so let's clear something up very simply and very quickly.

I'll be the first to admit this series has not performed as well as it should have. But judging it harshly on these episodes going out between 10:30 and 11:30 on a Saturday night is absolutely pathetic I'm afraid.

Judge it on the weekday episodes when it's about 0.3-0.4m down on last year, that's legitimate criticism. But these out of regular slot episodes on the show's weakest night that finish far too late for most viewers are not even worth discussing, and certainly not worth making a mountain out of a molehill about.

C5 themselves would have known what was coming - particularly if the show was to be down midweek as well - but if they are (contractually obliged?) to show football at 9pm all season then there's only one place CBB could go, bearing in mind they would never take on X Factor due to the demo clash and the fact the show loses a lot of its appeal if you have to make a ton of cuts to make it suitable for pre-watershed.

This series hasn't worked because they got the casting wrong for the first time since the show came to C5. Too many villainous characters, and too many "heroes" we don't even care for, making the inevitable mudslinging hard to give a monkeys about. And the rotten UK v USA theme is entirely to blame.

Rant over.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Well, nobody's doing handstands but at least from ITV's point-of-view it went up.

Notably last night's episode was a lot more positive than usual. IIRC there wasn't one bad audition in the programme.

So that old chestnut of the nastier the better - Cowell's usual philosophy - is proved wrong yet again. TXF wouldn't have declined so fast if they'd realised this sooner.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Well, nobody's doing handstands but at least from ITV's point-of-view it went up.

Notably last night's episode was a lot more positive than usual. IIRC there wasn't one bad audition in the programme.

So that old chestnut of the nastier the better - Cowell's usual philosophy - is proved wrong yet again. TXF wouldn't have declined so fast if they'd realised this sooner.

Agree.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He's just signed a new recording deal actually. Can't see him doing IAC but you never know.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    I don't think the supporters are ignoring the year-on-year declines - just saying that, whilst the show started lower (and certainly the year-on-year decline was not ignored over the first weekend by supporters and detractors alike), it has at least stabilised instead of bleeding viewers from the off like it did last year, albeit it seems to suffer drops on Sunday compared to Saturday which isn't a great sign considering what's coming up...
    The YOY declines are not being ignored, but when ITV have had a year like this where most things have been down and many prorammes sub 2m, something like TXF would find it difficult to return up YOY.

They are not ignoring the yoy decline they are just not mentioning it !! :D
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Voice can be thanked for that.

Remember that BGT used to be just as mean-spirited in places as X Factor. But those first 4 weeks with the Blind Auditions had Simon editing shows again in response to the popularity of The Voice in 2012. BGT benefited from the shift in tone. X Factor on the other hand carried on as it was and lost viewers along the way.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    In regards to Jekyll & Hyde. ITV are looking at this as a pre-watershed drama. I'm worried they might be pushing this too early and the family audience wil not take to it. The vibes from it suggest to me post 9pm. If its one of those shows that try's to appeal to many, but actually nobody could see it really struggle. Its against SCD so its need to be a strong series. If it appeals to a young audience and male viewers then it has a chance to do well enough. I think anything over 4m and a consolisated av. of 6m+ ITV will be please with. I'm just glad ITV are making an effort against SCD instead of giving the audience a reason to watch BBC1 when they put in little effort pre-XF.

Is it yet confirmed when this will go out? If its pre watershed I think its likely to be a lot less interesting.
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of nonsense has been written in here about CBB today, so let's clear something up very simply and very quickly.

I'll be the first to admit this series has not performed as well as it should have. But judging it harshly on these episodes going out between 10:30 and 11:30 on a Saturday night is absolutely pathetic I'm afraid.

Judge it on the weekday episodes when it's about 0.3-0.4m down on last year, that's legitimate criticism. But these out of regular slot episodes on the show's weakest night that finish far too late for most viewers are not even worth discussing, and certainly not worth making a mountain out of a molehill about.

C5 themselves would have known what was coming - particularly if the show was to be down midweek as well - but if they are (contractually obliged?) to show football at 9pm all season then there's only one place CBB could go, bearing in mind they would never take on X Factor due to the demo clash and the fact the show loses a lot of its appeal if you have to make a ton of cuts to make it suitable for pre-watershed.

This series hasn't worked because they got the casting wrong for the first time since the show came to C5. Too many villainous characters, and too many "heroes" we don't even care for, making the inevitable mudslinging hard to give a monkeys about. And the rotten UK v USA theme is entirely to blame.

Rant over.

instead of blaming ch5, have you not thought about people just getting bored of it.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    They are not ignoring the yoy decline they are just not mentioning it !! :D

I did. My second post of the day. ;)
    cylon6 wrote: »

Remember that BGT used to be just as mean-spirited in places as X Factor. But those first 4 weeks with the Blind Auditions had Simon editing shows again in response to the popularity of The Voice in 2012. BGT benefited from the shift in tone. X Factor on the other hand carried on as it was and lost viewers along the way.

Britain's Got Talent used to be far nastier than The X Factor; even at the latter's nastiest it's never matched how bad Britain's Got Talent got at times. For example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPEjT9BOX9E&=
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Is it yet confirmed when this will go out? If its pre watershed I think its likely to be a lot less interesting.

I thought I read somewhere that it would be pre-watershed but I'm sure it was on here!
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    instead of blaming ch5, have you not thought about people just getting bored of it.

The summer series maybe, but they're not getting bored of the January series.
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    The summer series maybe, but they're not getting bored of the January series.

I like both. But it's like the same thing day in, day out. Gets boring.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agree, mostly, people do not like that, " humiliation" any more, - constructive feedback yes, but not terrible acts kept as fodder for put downs. The public do not like that.

IAMGMOOH seems to buck the trend though on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me Big Brother is stuck in the 'nastiness and controversy' loop that we're talking about in relation to The X Factor. I think the producers pushed the panic button early on in the summer series after a relatively normal start resulted in dipping ratings (personally I don't think the earlier start helped; especially as it meant press attention was distracted by Britain's Got Talent) and threw everything at the House to cause arguments and tension. This series they didn't even bother to give the Housemates a chance to settle - it was stirring the pot from the off.

I don't think a Summer Celebrity Big Brother is really needed either; it's overkill and I think the show needs a proper break. Once this series finishes there will only be three full months before the next begins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Agree, mostly, people do not like that, " humiliation" any more, - constructive feedback yes, but not terrible acts kept as fodder for put downs. The public do not like that.

IAMGMOOH seems to buck the trend though on this.

Ant and Dec are key with I'm A Celebrity... Like David Walliams on Britain's Got Talent and, to a lesser extent, the judges on Strictly (Sir Bruce fulfilled the role when he was there) they turn any 'humiliation' moments into a humourous scenes which alleviates much of the guilt anyone would have about what they're watching.
  • Options
    AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Primetime shares (19:00-23:00)
    ITV: 22.6% (+1: 1.1%)
    BBC One: 20.6%

Do I believe my eyes? ITV wins Saturday primetime? Must have been a long time since the last one :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been watching the Red Button all day with the Radio 2 Concert from Hyde Park.

Has been excellent especially Giorgio Moroder mixing his Apple digital turntables at the grand old age of 75. Think it should have at least got some highlights on one of the main BBC channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AnthonyC wrote: »
    Do I believe my eyes? ITV wins Saturday primetime? Must have been a long time since the last one :o

Two weeks ago wasn't it? Admittedly go back before The X Factor started and BBC One probably won every Saturday night since Britain's Got Talent finished.

Which is why, for all it's failings at the moment, is another reason why The X Factor is still important to ITV at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two weeks ago wasn't it? Admittedly go back before The X Factor started and BBC One probably won every Saturday night since Britain's Got Talent finished.

Which is why, for all it's failings at the moment, is another reason why The X Factor is still important to ITV at the moment.

Can't see the official overnight primetime shares but I think it would have been 2 weeks back.

With DW and SCD back and TV back in the New Year, it's shocking to think it could be the last ITV Saturday win for at least another 4 months...
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dennisboy wrote: »
    One episode sunk to 3.1m, it's lowest ever audience.

The ridiculous thing about moving Emmerdale to 10pm for a month was that it wasn't even guaranteed to be on at 10pm because, as you can see, some episodes went out later because rather than moving it back to 7pm as soon as possible, they kept it at 10pm even during the knockout rounds when no matches started before 7.45 (showing fillers at 6pm and moving the news hour to 6.30) and there was the possibility of extra time and penalties. So you had The Unforgettable Larry Grayson at 6pm, the news at 7pm and Emmerdale at 10.30. Ridiculous. You may just have got away with it with Corrie at 10pm but not Emmerdale.
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Anyone know what the earliest and latest times the Saturday National Lottery draw has ever been? There's a proposal from Swedish TV to move Eurovision to 7pm UK time instead of 8pm, so that more children can watch it and it's not on ridiculously late for Eastern Europe.

I believe the lottery tickets are sold until 7.30pm so they couldn't have the draw before Eurovision, and with the show lasting anything up to 4 hours, the draw could have to wait til 11pm - would that be OK or would the BBC likely have to object to the change because of it? Or, I suppose they could just cut away for the draw during an interval.

This might have been a problem a decade or so ago but these days I doubt the Beeb would be that bothered at all. There have been a number of occasions when the lottery's gone out after 11pm, I remember it being at 11.15 on Christmas Eve a few years back, and during the football tournaments I think there have been a number of occasions where they just haven't televised the draw at all and just read the numbers out. The lottery rates so poorly on its own these days I doubt the Beeb care where they show it at all. If they can delay the news to midnight for Eurovision, they can delay the lottery.

The mention of the start time of Eurovision reminds me that when I was a kid (one of the few times of the year I was allowed to stay up late) I used to be baffled as to why it always began at 8pm no matter where it was, and was amazed they always used to work around when it was primetime in Britain. Until I eventually realised that in the rest of Europe it always started at the same time as well and they had different ideas of what was primetime.
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    They have the RWC to come obviously but it has been a poor year, soap heavy non descript schedules saved only now and then by a few popular but aging formats. They may make money but its a sad sight compared to the past.

And of course the success of the Rugby World Cup may well be a little dependent on whether England do well, which given they're in the Group of Death isn't entirely a certainty.
    simonk243 wrote: »
    This was said before but I'm sure I remember in the old days of itv when the region's didn't show all there programmes at the same time didn't Emmerdale go out at 5.15pm in some regions like Anglia ?
    It was. And I'm old enough to remember when Emmerdale Farm was a daytime soap in the afternoonons on ITV. Then it went to 5.15pm then to 7.00pm.

Yeah, it moved to primetime in most regions in 1978, I think, but Thames and Anglia stuck with it at 5.15 for longer. I think Anglia were the last region to show it in primetime which seems a bit strange given the nature of the Anglia region. Maybe they were just still fed up with Yorkshire for nicking half their region in the mid-seventies. When 'stEnders started in 1985 ITV combatted it by moving it to 7pm everywhere and not taking it off for the summer like they used to (which as we know was what the Beeb was counting on to build a big audience for 'stEnders). Then in 1988 they moved it to 6.30, which seemed a bit of a daft idea, before they moved it back to 7pm in January 1990.
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Perhaps even a classic scifi series for BBC Two at 6pm ;-) It would be so good to see a full repeat run of the Classic Doctor Who series from the beginning.

Well, you say that, but in 1999 they did almost exactly that, pledging to show every colour episode in order at 6pm on BBC2 - launching with a Radio Times cover, an evening of programmes and some extra Simpsons repeats as a lead-in - and after two stories the ratings were so bad they panicked, abandoned the idea of showing them in order and fast forwarded to Genesis of the Daleks, and they dropped it completely.

There were obviously a few mitigating circumstances, not least because in the middle of The Silurians, which is a long story anyway, they took it off for a fortnight for Christmas. But they gave it every opportunity and that was in the days before fans had the opportunity to own every episode on DVD. New Doctor Who doesn't repeat very well, so old Doctor Who would seem to be an even bigger risk.
    As I suspected Boy Meets Girl fell quite a bit - more so proportionately than Cradle to Grave.

It is marmite to viewers for obvious reasons but if it does not fall further (as it might) and if the repeat screening holds up then they might renew.

Hope so as I am enjoying it. Though I would.

However, it will lose the audience and any chance of series 2 if it continues over emphasising the cartoon cut out families and fails to focus on what really works about the series - the chemistry between the two leads and their love story. That was why Watching worked (the one show I think this could most resemble). But they are not looking as if they had confidence to do that and if they carry on in this vein then there will be no series 2.

I'm afraid I had to abandon Boy Meets Girl halfway through the first episode, not because of any issues with the storyline or the two main characters, but because the character of the brother was so repellent I literally couldn't watch him anymore, and he was in virtually every scene, and having read the family take a major role in future episodes I'm afraid I couldn't continue. I dunno if it's a lack of confidence in the overall concept on behalf of the writers, rather than a lack of confidence in their ability to keep a story going without filling it out with lots of cliched, easy-to-write supporting characters.
    mintbro wrote: »
    Well Gogglebox last episode is November 28th, suppose TFI could start the following Friday but it'll then run in to Christmas.
    Maybe it could alternate with Alan Carr after all. But it makes more sense to have TFI Friday start when Gogglebox finishes as it would extend Channel 4's strength in the Friday 9pm slot over several months.

Well, I don't see any problem with it running into Christmas, I know you wouldn't want it on Christmas Day but there's no issue with a series running across into the new year. HOWEVER, I don't think they would run it past Christmas because like X Factor as a music show it has to go out when there are loads of records being released, and if it was on in January it would have no real benefit for advertisers and struggle a bit for bands because nobody would have anything out. And with Gogglebox and Alan Carr now there for several months - despite Alan Carr seemingly better off in another slot - it's looking likely C4 might piss TFI away at 8pm.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Seeing as there's another thread about it on here, Deal or No Deal returns to Channel 4 on Monday 21st September at 13:10, which surely means that it is closer than ever to the axe.

Hmm, but that said they are doing the tenth anniversary special on Friday which has caused a bit of a stir and might benefit from no soaps on ITV and a pretty awful BBC1 schedule, and offer an obvious alternative to the traditional ITV audience that doesn't especially like rugby. You could also argue it may better for C4 to show it at one o'clock where it has no similar show as competition and offers an alternative to people who don't want to watch the news but hate Loose Women, although as you say it looks like a massive demotion.
    I'm slightly surprised they didn't - fair enough if they had Strictly and Doctor Who to fit in but they didn't so had the air space to try something different. That's the kind of thing that differentiates the BBC from the commercial networks; being able to take risks and see what happens. I'm not sure if BBC One have done enough of that, especially of late, but Proms in the Park would have been a good move.

Though, thinking about it, I guess the argument would be it would clash with the first installment of Last Night on BBC Two.

That would indeed be the argument, having the actual Prom on BBC2 up against pop and very popular classics on BBC1 would be quite the statement of dumbing down. The risk is putting ninety minutes of classical music on BBC1 in the first place. What other mainstream channel would do that?

And the Edinburgh Castle concert last year had a wide range of music and some non-commercial stuff and that hardly did much on primetime Saturday night BBC1, did it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the Edinburgh Castle concert last year had a wide range of music and some non-commercial stuff and that hardly did much on primetime Saturday night BBC1, did it?

I think a combination of Alex 'omnipresent' Jones, bad weather (rolling fog anyone?) and a terrible set by Culture Club made that concert a bit forgettable.

Today's Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park was a much slicker affair and ought to have got some airtime on the main channels.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So US Open has been delayed and still hasn't started 2 hours in!

Personally thought CBB had the best episode tonight, but This Is England (by looking online) will rate well, a lot of hype for that! I have it on record.
This discussion has been closed.