The Cruise..A life at Sea..BBC2.

Comments

• Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    I'll say.

The honeymooners were so sweet but blimey she was a fretter and a half. She was acting like hubby was at death's door at times.

My other favourite from last night was the Captain Birdseye looky-likey in the choir.

Ella, we howled laughing at their obvious affection for one another and the way she was worrying about losing him! Every time she spoke about him it was as though he was breathing his last breath. Thought it was hilarious they way she wiped a tear away when she seen him pass along the deck on his walking regime. Also a true funny moment for us was when they were talking to the camera on deck and his eyebrows were being blown everywhere by the wind, how hilarious was that?
    I loved the programme but after watching it, they would have to pay me to go on there! Cruise has never been something I fancied, more so now.
  • Options
    David_ArcherDavid_Archer Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Where's Jane McDonald?
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pward1965 wrote: »
    It may seem it. I got into conversation with a guest lecturer on a cruise ship a couple of years ago. For giving half a dozen one-hour lectures he got free passage and a healthy discount on on-board expenditure. The downsides? Getting the contract (for this purpose you're a temp) can be a faff, you can't choose your cabin - you get the cabin you're given, and you are treated as crew, which has its downsides, for example passengers have priority when disembarking at ports.

Still, if you're retired, don't mind too much about itineraries and aren't too bothered about cabin choice, these roles can be attractive.

A friend and his wife used to lead ballroom dances and give lessons on various Cunard cruises. He's now widowed, but that doesn't seem to stop Cunard dishing out the freebie invites.

Personally, I'd rather travel on a cargo vessel, like Michael Palin did across the Pacific on his 80 Days
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    mike1948 wrote: »
    Some of the passengers were only doing part of the world cruise. However, the fact that some were there for the whole three months or however long it took, meant that the average age was much higher than for an average cruise. Younger people, with work and family commitments, cannot spare the time away from home and may not have the money either.
    Think they mentioned 400 were doing the whole Cruise.:cool:
    Where's Jane McDonald?
    :eek:
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think I'd ever fancy a cruise if I had watched this without having been on a cruise first.

No doubt there is a market for this sort of cruising but it's not something that would ever appeal to me I don't think. I have been on Liberty of the Seas and thought the whole holiday was fantastic but I get the feeling that a ship of that size and what it offers is something that wouldn't appeal to many people who enjoy cruising on the Balmoral.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I used to be a cruise consultant and what I always said to anyone wanting to look at cruising was you need to do your research and make sure that the cruiseline and ship you choose is right for you otherwise you will hate it and never cruise again. If you just judge the cruise on itinerary and price and dont consider everything else the ship offers then you could get it drastically wrong but if you get it right you will be hooked and will cruise again. Fred Olsen is definitely for the older people market who are not bothered so much about luxury. For many this really suits. Its definitely not for me but is ideal for many others. Also as others have said you cant judge whether you would like to cruise based on this programme, we always had the mantra that there is the right cruise out there for everyone its just finding it.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire55 wrote: »
    I used to be a cruise consultant and what I always said to anyone wanting to look at cruising was you need to do your research and make sure that the cruiseline and ship you choose is right for you otherwise you will hate it and never cruise again. If you just judge the cruise on itinerary and price and dont consider everything else the ship offers then you could get it drastically wrong but if you get it right you will be hooked and will cruise again. Fred Olsen is definitely for the older people market who are not bothered so much about luxury. For many this really suits. Its definitely not for me but is ideal for many others. Also as others have said you cant judge whether you would like to cruise based on this programme, we always had the mantra that there is the right cruise out there for everyone its just finding it.

You are absolutely right. I go on a cruise every year with P&O. I dont go on the really big ships but stick to the medium size ones. The Royal Caribbean ones would not suit me. We like to have a balcony but on Fred Olsen there r either none or very few.

Its like all holidays, people like different things, and I agree that seeing this programme does not show the different types of cruising that are out there.
  • Options
    MoxeyMoxey Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two things concern me about cruises in general,having seen a couple of tv programmes:
    1 How the crew is treated.
    2 The fear of a food poisining outbreak.
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moxey wrote: »
    Two things concern me about cruises in general,having seen a couple of tv programmes:

The largely unseen crew (catering and domestics) work very hard on cruise ships. However, they are not pressganged to work on the ships - they do so on their own free will. They are free to leave if and when they choose. The cruise lines have to pay them enough to make it worthwhile to be away from their families for six months or whatever.

What is more of an issue on cruise ships is norovirus. This is spread by poor hygiene after using the toilet, usually by the passengers. Most who get it are ill for a couple of days. While there is a slight risk of going down with norovirus, so is there when staying a hotel but the outbreaks are often not reported. In life there is a risk in doing anything - driving a car, crossing the road on foot, you name it.
  • Options
    sky0000547sky0000547 Posts: 240
    Forum Member

The crew do not get treated badly although they do work very hard with most working upto 15hrs a day 7 days a week on a 6-9 months contract. We all think their wages are poor compare to us and we will be correct but their wages compare to their own country then they do pretty well hence why their are not many British working in the hotel or food sections on a cruise ship.

Norovirus is a danger on a cruise ship with many people in an enclosed space. Many virus are started with passengers already ill before they embark on the ship and the spread of the virus soon begins. This is why there are warnings and notices for passengers to wash their hands and sanitise.
  • Options
    sky0000547sky0000547 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I am a frequent cruiser and normally like to select the bigger ships. If I didn't cruise before then this programme would have put me off cruising. The time of year and the itineraries of this cruise mainly attract the older cruisers. The Fred Olsen ship doesn't have all the new bell and whistles of the bigger modern cruise ships. This has shown on the first episode and generally depicts the ship and cruise line as very boring with nothing to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the argument that '10p is a lot in their countries' helps passengers to avoid dwelling on conditions downstairs.How well-informed they are,when joining,depends on the person and the company.It's fanciful to think that all staff have read all the legalese of the employment contract,a contract which means people are NOT really free to leave.Also, in the undercover programme I saw,an amount of the crew's wages was 'retained' to pay for the uniform etc.I hope UK employment laws applies nowadays.
    Anyway,back to this particular cruise,good to see that the Vicar certainly doesn't understate his importance!
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the argument that '10p is a lot in their countries' helps passengers to avoid dwelling on conditions downstairs.How well-informed they are,when joining,depends on the person and the company.It's fanciful to think that all staff have read all the legalese of the employment contract,a contract which means people are NOT really free to leave.Also, in the undercover programme I saw,an amount of the crew's wages was 'retained' to pay for the uniform etc.I hope UK employment laws applies nowadays.
    Anyway,back to this particular cruise,good to see that the Vicar certainly doesn't understate his importance!

UK employment law does not apply to cruise ships. If it did, cruises would be far more expensive than they are, and there would be not nearly so many ships because the demand would be far less.

Almost all clothes bought from chain stores in the UK (Primark, Debenhams, BHS, M&S etc) are made in the Third World by workers on very low wages by UK standards. Do you avoid buying from these shops, in favour of those few who do sell items made in the UK or other Western countries?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK employment law does not apply to cruise ships. If it did, cruises would be far more expensive than they are, and there would be not nearly so many ships because the demand would be far less.

So what and so what? Personally,I'd prefer to pay whatever would ensure UK standards for staff.I wonder if any of those awkward biblical texts about inequality ever arise at the church services.
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    sky0000547 wrote: »
    I am a frequent cruiser and normally like to select the bigger ships. If I didn't cruise before then this programme would have put me off cruising. The time of year and the itineraries of this cruise mainly attract the older cruisers. The Fred Olsen ship doesn't have all the new bell and whistles of the bigger modern cruise ships. This has shown on the first episode and generally depicts the ship and cruise line as very boring with nothing to do.

That's a shame really because we did not find our cruise boring at all. There was plenty to do if you wanted, admittedly it catered mainly for older people...ie. bingo, which was not my thing and quizzes which was. Both lasted only a short while though and there were talks, bridge classes, dance classes and a cookery demonstration which I did attend and found very amusing.
    Basically though a lot of my day when not in a port was spent reading either in one of the lounges or on sunny days on deck, interspersed with chatting to fellow cruisers and my husband of course.
    We enjoyed Fred Olsen so much we are off on another one soon.
    All right it was not in the same luxury class as the Cunard liners or Canberra which I was on years ago, but the ships I have been on have been comfortable, pleasant with very good food and I did not bump into a vicar once!
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Almost all clothes bought from chain stores in the UK (Primark, Debenhams, BHS, M&S etc) are made in the Third World by workers on very low wages by UK standards. Do you avoid buying from these shops, in favour of those few who do sell items made in the UK or other Western countries?
    The likes of M&S have at least tried with their Fairtrade commitment regards T shirts/tops..if more outlets took this on board all would benefit. Unfortunately, many thousands of workers in the clothing industry in the east would lose their livelihoods if everyone boycotted those items. Personally, I dont buy them...but a lot of people cant afford to choose and arent able to afford the extra few bob especially for kids clothes which are outgrown so quickly.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part 2 tonight.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is a long time to be at sea. I think i'd go crazy.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole cruise thing would drive me crazy...
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is a long time to be at sea. I think i'd go crazy.

Especially cooped up with all these !! Ive never seen as many miserable people...moaner about putting weight on with the nosh...couple renewing vows and saying if one goes first the other follows quickly...then someone actually passing away. The vicar seems to be the only one in his element !
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah seems to be no young people at all. Is that intentional? Ie.. if you're older do you get put on a ship with other older people? No families either. How much does the full thing cost, have they said?
  • Options
    kazzieconkazziecon Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    The largely unseen crew (catering and domestics) work very hard on cruise ships. However, they are not pressganged to work on the ships - they do so on their own free will. They are free to leave if and when they choose. The cruise lines have to pay them enough to make it worthwhile to be away from their families for six months or whatever.

What is more of an issue on cruise ships is norovirus. This is spread by poor hygiene after using the toilet, usually by the passengers. Most who get it are ill for a couple of days. While there is a slight risk of going down with norovirus, so is there when staying a hotel but the outbreaks are often not reported. In life there is a risk in doing anything - driving a car, crossing the road on foot, you name it.[/QUOTE]

BIB. Most crises I have been on ( and I've been on quite a few) there is always a member of staff encouraging passengers to use the sanitising gel before and after entering the restaurants etc. However, there are lots who ignore this and put everyone else at risk. It is surprising how many people still don't wash their hands after using the loo!!! :eek::eek:
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah seems to be no young people at all. Is that intentional? Ie.. if you're older do you get put on a ship with other older people? No families either. How much does the full thing cost, have they said?

Different cruise lines market themselves towards certain markets. You can see who Fred Olsen look to attract from watching this show. The likes of Cunard are pretty stuffy and attract a clientele that reflects this.

Then you have the likes of Royal Caribbean and NCL who have some huge ships which attract thousands of young couples, families with teenagers etc. Some of their larger ships are fantastic with lots going on all the time, basketball courts, 5 a side football pitch, mini golf, nightclubs, rock climbing, ice rinks etc etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    Well I have been on one of Balmoral's sister ships and had a great time. I must admit though if I had not already experienced a cruise this programme would have put me off forever!

I agree, our first cruise was on the Balmoral and we LOVED it. The ports did include Guatemala and Honduras so it was a good itinerary but this programme is not doing anything to encourage people to cruise with Fred Olsen. :confused:
  • Options
    pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Blueju wrote: »
    Especially cooped up with all these !! Ive never seen as many miserable people...moaner about putting weight on with the nosh...couple renewing vows and saying if one goes first the other follows quickly...then someone actually passing away. The vicar seems to be the only one in his element !

I didn't think they came across as miserable; it seems sensible to bring clothes in different sizes if you know your waistline is going to expand.

Also it is not uncommon for people to pass away on a cruise. On some cruise lines you can have several thousand people with an older demographic; one or more can pass away over the course of a cruise and the ships have small morgues to deal with this.