Options

Richard III the return and reburial CHANNEL 4

Comments

• Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Ditto, it's incredibly moving, specially for those of us like myself who have always been Ricardians and never believed the hype :)

Exactly Cadiva, same here, my granddaughter has just mocked me for watching this :(

I had forgotten how much real tv progammes mean so much to her, Hollyoaks, Towie and stuff like that >:( all a load of crap :D
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered whoa Richard would of made of today?
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was that Terry waites
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Henry I next everyone? I believe he's under a car park as well and we can use Richard iii Dna to confirm him
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a fantastic and unique piece of history happening live.

I so agree, but my granddaughter scoffed at it, Towie and the like are more important to her >:(
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the song off Mr bean?
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,800
    Forum Member
    Can't help but think what a fuss over nothing major.
    I'm very much a Royalist, and enjoy learning about their history although Victoria & her children hold the most interest for me. But I have been pretty amazed at all the pomp & ceremony involved in this re burial, wasn't expecting that, and not sure what to think.
    Graceland wrote: »
    I was watching this last night and Phillipa had a bit of a moment and shed a tear.

I am more interested to what happened to the two young children that disappeared.

Yes I've enjoyed following the story as it has unfolded so far, but no real conclusion as to what happened to the princes and by who's hand.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    valkay wrote: »

I noticed that , perhaps the ethnic minorities of Leicester think it's nothing to do with them, which is a shame :(

Majority in Leicester.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,550
    Forum Member
    lola_skye wrote: »
    Richard wasnt a British king FFS

Of course he was a British King, just not the King of Britain.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    I'm very much a Royalist, and enjoy learning about their history although Victoria & her children hold the most interest for me. But I have been pretty amazed at all the pomp & ceremony involved in this re burial, wasn't expecting that, and not sure what to think.

I'm a big Royalist too but I wasn't expecting anything like this sort of coverage either. Maybe the broadcasters are using this as a dress rehearsal.
  • Options
    deeannjaydeeannjay Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    What's george vi got to do with this? As far as I know he didn't die on a battle field

I believe he served in the Royal Navy in the Battle of Jutland in 1916, although at that time he was Prince George and the "spare" rather than the heir to the throne, a bit like Prince Harry in Afghanistan, so he is in one sense the most recent British Sovereign to have been directly involved in a battle.
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member

I am really loving this having had an interest in Richard III since I was fourteen years old. He must have been in dreadful pain all the time with his back problem. I am in pain all the time but can at least take modern pain killers, poor Richard had nothing like that.

Possibly, but not necessarily any more than anyone else living at that time when even a stubbed toe could become infected and kill you. Scoliosis doesn't always cause pain. As someone with a similar condition (I won't say disability because it's not) I find that it makes the back sort of hyper mobile rather than restricted. In any case Richards physical feats show that it can't have hampered him that much.

One of the best things about all of this for me is the debunking of that 'hunchback' label.
  • Options
    owen10owen10 Posts: 128,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are there any other Kings or Queens that we have bury or is that it
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great commitment from the people of Leicester. I've been impressed and wasn't expecting such a well thought out ceremony. Leicester are determined to give Richard III a good send off and well done to them and also to Phillipa as without her there'd be no Richard III to honour.
  • Options
    mr trebusmr trebus Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    I had a hunch this would be good....
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Starkey is so very biased! And annoying!
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This looks like it's going to end in a row.

:D that expression from Starkey then lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    Of course he was a British King, just not the King of Britain.

No he was an English king as Britain wasn't formed then. Duncan of Scotland for example wouldn't also be regarded as a british monarch because he only ruled over Scotland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did not know Jon Snow is the cousin of Peter Snow
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,800
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm a big Royalist too but I wasn't expecting anything like this sort of coverage either. Maybe the broadcasters are using this as a dress rehearsal.

:o:o
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Henry I next everyone? I believe he's under a car park as well and we can use Richard iii Dna to confirm him

Isn't Boudicca under platform 10 at St Pancras? I think we should dig it up and find out.
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Starkey is incredibly rude.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do we know that he was not a murderer No one can be sure he did not kill those boys
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherylFan wrote: »
    I thought Jon Snow was supposed to be a reputable presenter.
    Someone should say to him "You know nothing Jon Snow"
  • Options
    CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Helen castor is wearing some lovely heels