Options

Burns is no Shakespeare

Comments

• Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    People can quote Burns but they probably don't know it is Burns. Millions of people all over the world sing Auld Lang Syne every new year

Well duh Auld Lang Syne is in a bit of a unique category!. How many other Burns quotations is your average person on the street likely to know?.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I'm aware of his sonnets and poetry. He is now most commonly associated with theatre . I doubt many people have read his other writings :D

To be fair they do tend to stick the Sonnets at the end of the Completed Works.......so there's no excuse for not reading them once you get to the end of the plays
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love the Shakespeare sonnets... i have some recited to music on my iPod :blush:
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Crop rotation in the 14th century was considerably more widespread after John.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Maybe Shakespeare would be better if it was double-translated. It certainly works well for Burns!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzWpGxLkWNM
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,594
    Forum Member
    Well duh Auld Lang Syne is in a bit of a unique category!. How many other Burns quotations is your average person on the street likely to know?.

Why the aggressive tone? I was just pointing out that Burns is quoted by millions every year. Not sure why you are getting annoyed about this.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first couple of series were really hilarious but then it went rapidly downhill.

http://www.independent.co.uk/migration_catalog/article6240886.ece/alternates/w620/Untitled-2.jpeg
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    i love the Shakespeare sonnets... i have some recited to music on my iPod :blush:

Until I went to university I thought the sonnets were just a few lyrics that Shakespeare penned to make some quick cash. Having read them, I realised that they were actually works of the very highest achievement and the equal of any poetry ever written.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    W.B. Yeats beats them both.

Yep.

Heaney too.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The best laid plans of mice and men oft gang agley.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Why the aggressive tone? I was just pointing out that Burns is quoted by millions every year. Not sure why you are getting annoyed about this.

Not aggressive. Not annoyed. Not particularly bothered at all in fact.:confused:
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Vic Burns.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet far more people can quote Burns than can quote Shakespere. One is a playwright the other is a poet .
    Many people who proclaim Shakespere as the greatest bard ever have never seen his plays and many that have think he is dated and boring . I personally don't .
    I admire both of them for many and diverse reasons.

As a Scotsman I take pride in the fact I cannot quote anything by Rancid Burns however I do know my Shakespeare stuff. Christ I never knew Auld langs sine was his.😳

Burns was a dirty wee sheep shagger and adulterer, he died young I read from a nasty STD I bet. 😝
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And how many Shakespeare quotations are people likely to know? I certainly don't know any, and I've read more of his stuff than Rabbie's
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    The English national poet, Shakespeare, is well better than the Scottish national poet, Burns.

Both are overrated.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Both are overrated.

Have to disagree . :) I think they both deserve their place as revered bards. Sadly we are losing that dimension of arts and culture and anything that preserves it is good .
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shakespeare didn't even write his own stuff. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.
  • Options
    cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least Burns wrote his own stuff and could spell his own name.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Have to disagree . :) I think they both deserve their place as revered bards. Sadly we are losing that dimension of arts and culture and anything that preserves it is good .

Don't get me wrong they deserved their place in history and both have quality material but sometimes they are treated like the be all and end all.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong they deserved their place in history and both have quality material but sometimes they are treated like the be all and end all.

Which, ironically, is a Shakespeare-ism.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least Burns wrote his own stuff and could spell his own name.

But, you know, what's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet
  • Options
    ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coolasfunk wrote: »
    W.H. Smith beats them all, hands down.

:D

'here comes the train, over the border
    carrying the mail and the postal order....

........and stationery, pens and school books at low, low prices, starting from 99p.......get it now before it goes!'
  • Options
    ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coolasfunk wrote: »
    W.H. Smith beats them all, hands down.

'Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone
    Stop the dog barking with a nice juicy bone

Find a WH Smith in the North, South, East and West,
    For your working week and Sunday rest,
    My pen, my pencil, my writing pad, my song,
    Oh and some tippex for when I am wrong'
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivor Cutler is our most recent Scottish bard. Wonderful stuff.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Ivor Cutler is our most recent Scottish bard. Wonderful stuff.

Hehe he had a cheek though wasnt he a member of the noise abatement society..!? whilst playing the harmonium too hehe! I do like his childrens books though :)

As for Burns..or Shakespeare..I don't like it, just not my cup of tea..I like Oscar Wilde though, although not the same genre I suppose! :D