Options

Twitter - I'm horrified

Comments

• Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a tool to keep up with news and, if you're into that sort of thing, celeb gossip then it's great. As a way for the average person on the street to be social? It's just nasty. I am constantly shocked and horrified at how grown adults behave on there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urgh, I'm tired of all these emo videos of teenagers holding up cards. So, basically she acted like a slag- stripped on webcam and then slept with another girl's boyfriend- then expected people to be nice to her?

And what about her parents- when she decided to commit suicide, did she not think for a moment how their lives will be ruined? Selfish kid.

Nice.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Urgh, I'm tired of all these emo videos of teenagers holding up cards. So, basically she acted like a slag- stripped on webcam and then slept with another girl's boyfriend- then expected people to be nice to her?

And what about her parents- when she decided to commit suicide, did she not think for a moment how their lives will be ruined? Selfish kid.
    And here we have exhibit A; the exact type of scumbag who makes children do these things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think she may have had some mental health issues as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And here we have exhibit A; the exact type of scumbag who makes children do these things.

Yeah I don't think calling her a selfish emo slag shows any appreciation or understanding of what the girl was going through or where she was mentally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member

Yes. Sadly I think we (as a society) have bred an unfeeling, unsympathetic, apathetic, waste of space youth culture that is willing to tear anyone down for a cheap laugh. People have become so cold and the pay off (or retribution) will be to see all these people ending up sad and alone in their one bedroom flat with nothing but a cat for company.
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then you don't have to use them.

The one billion users of Facebook may disagree with you.

They will

but numbers mean nothing.

Millions of people smoke cigarettes, despite knowing that they slowly kill you.
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting how a lot of inventions bring both a positive and minus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    That's really sad, poor girl :(
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    there's a good bit of trolling on all social media a page on facebook which is normally just about football posted the picture of her flashing with a rude message about her I reported them
  • Options
    DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The other day a FM said this about a woman who had dropped another FM
    She's obviously a ****. Fair enough if she was doing the usual very delayed replies to ur text messages and stuff but if she's sniffing around another guy I'm afraid your time is up.

Don't waste another second thinking about her, she isn't giving u a moments thoughts I can guarantee that. Count ur losses, if she does come running back consider it a bonus. Man up and get ur self out tonight, get smashed and nail some random floosy. You'll feel better for it. ; )

and you said
    What a nice man you are.

There is something very wrong .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Damanda wrote: »
    The other day a FM said this about a woman who had dropped another FM

and you said

A self loathing female? Perhaps she herself is a **** and she can spot this trait about herself that she doesn't like in other's and picks them apart for it. It's psychology 101.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teenagers have been doing this for years on the internet. Parents tend to have a very poor grasp on internet security.

Teenagers tend to feel more empowered and feel popular if they take their clothes off for the sexual gratification of men or women.

What is needed is greater parental protection and greater parental awareness of what can happen to their children and who their children are broadcasting to.

Communication and what is deemed acceptable behaviour should be often discussed in families. However, some families tend to be unable to communicate about blossoming sexuality and the problems sexuality causes online as well as offline.

First of all, this comment.......
    Teenagers tend to feel more empowered and feel popular if they take their clothes off for the sexual gratification of men or women.

........ is far from correct.

The rest of your remarks seem to suggest that there should be greater parental control, which wouldn't go amiss BUT the key is that people should not do horrible things.

What you are saying here isn't a million miles away from saying that the way to prevent rape is to stop women walking alone at night or to prevent child abduction any parent who doesn't watch their child every second of every day should be locked up.

I know that you are not actually saying that BUT it gives credance to people who do.

When a child goes missing there is always somebody who's first repsonse is to say "well my 7 year old wouldn t have been playing out without me so its the mothers fault" Or when a women is raped and murdered crossing a park at 1.30am somebody says "she was asking for trouble doing that, it's her own fault".

Kids should be able to play out, women should be able to walk alone late at night, I shouldn't have to have double locks and alarms on the car/house etc.... and Teenagers should be able to make errors of judgement.

It's dreadfully sad what happened to this girl, just awful.
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stop ruining her attempt at being controversial :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    She didn't have to go online or on twitter did she?
    It's different if it's real life and in your face but twitter?

I dont know a single teenager who isn't ruled by their FB, BBM's Twitter etc. They use their phones to run their social lives, its also where they form groups and have fun. So she pretty much does have to go on line.

BUT it matters not because what people said and shared about her online did manifest itself face to face, it followed her from school to school in her real life, which she ended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    Stop ruining her attempt at being controversial :D

I dont mind a bit of controversial, I don't mind devils advocate, it can be useful to challenge sometimes but using language like that (the other FMs) on topics such as this ... is shameful behaviour in my view.

The threads about April Jones and Jimmy Saville are havens for such attention seeking thoughtless creatures.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem is what can be done to stop it? Anyone serious about cyberbullying are going to use proxies, SSL, tor, post from Starbucks, god knows what else to cover their tracks. Practically impossible to identify them. And being the internet they could be in an entirely different country. Unfortunately I dont think the Mallicious Communication Act will have much effect in deterring would-be bullies
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AmberPanda wrote: »
    I have decided that it is a generation thing and I have absolutely no interest in these networking sites.
    I find it really sad that ppl are committing suicide because of what some brain dead idiot has posted on line about them.
    Maybe there are bad things on there about me, I have no idea and in the words of Rhett Butler "frankly my dear I don't give a damn" :D

They are not.

That's what we are taking from all these cases, but it's far from the truth.
    Just a bit easier because there's something to point a finger at.

So much must have gone wrong, subtle things as well that get overlooked, to get to the point where anything on line matters.

It has to start with the family, the dynamics of the family relationships, the abilities of the parents to prepare their children for what life is going to throw at them.

If all the rest is right, nothing but nothing online, is going to make a blind bit of difference.

Why?
    Because if everything else is alright, then the teenager will just switch off the pc/phone and do something else because there is lots else to do.
    Including sitting down and having a chat with a parent.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    First of all, this comment.......

........ is far from correct.

The rest of your remarks seem to suggest that there should be greater parental control, which wouldn't go amiss BUT the key is that people should not do horrible things.

What you are saying here isn't a million miles away from saying that the way to prevent rape is to stop women walking alone at night or to prevent child abduction any parent who doesn't watch their child every second of every day should be locked up.

I know that you are not actually saying that BUT it gives credance to people who do.

When a child goes missing there is always somebody who's first repsonse is to say "well my 7 year old wouldn t have been playing out without me so its the mothers fault" Or when a women is raped and murdered crossing a park at 1.30am somebody says"she was asking for trouble doing that, it's her own fault".

Kids should be able to play out, women should be able to walk alone late at night, I shouldn't have to have double locks and alarms on the car/house etc.... and Teenagers should be able to make errors of judgement.

It's dreadfully sad what happened to this girl, just awful.
    People say that because parents have a responsibility to look after their children. This doesn't mean that children should be watched 24 hours a day, least not because doing so would be impossible and ultimately counter-productive, but when something bad happens to a child in a situation that generally warrants parental supervision then there are bound to be questions asked regarding why that parental supervision was absent.

In this case I do think her parents should have better monitored her internet access; we've all heard horror stories before and "grooming" is certainly a word that has entered the public consciousness in the last decade so you do have to wonder why parents would allow their kids to be on chat sites and using webcams unsupervised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People say that because parents have a responsibility to look after their children. This doesn't mean that children should be watched 24 hours a day, least not because doing so would be impossible and ultimately counter-productive, but when something bad happens to a child in a situation that generally warrants parental supervision then there are bound to be questions asked regarding why that parental supervision was absent.

In this case I do think her parents should have better monitored her internet access; we've all heard horror stories before and "grooming" is certainly a word that has entered the public consciousness in the last decade so you do have to wonder why parents would allow their kids to be on chat sites and using webcams unsupervised.

In context, I have already agreed that parental control wouldn't go amiss.

I disagree with you about why the casual observers make these remarks, I think they make them because they just can't help being unkind in a bloody awful situation, that they struggle to show empathy and sympathy and ultimately they simply do not get the big picture that something terrible happened its not helpful for them to sit in judgement of the victims.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Twitter is a waste of time. Largely a forum for arseholes to opine without thinking.

Also, I call upon people to stop creating Facebook tribute pages for dead people, especially those who have been featured in prominent news stories. You KNOW they will attract shitheads, so don't bother doing it.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    In context, I have already agreed that parental control wouldn't go amiss.

I disagree with you about why the casual observers make these remarks, I think they make them because they just can't help being unkind in a bloody awful situation, that they struggle to show empathy and sympathy and ultimately they simply do not get the big picture that something terrible happened its not helpful for them to sit in judgement of the victims.

It's not helpful, though I imagine when people express any opinion on a tragedy they don't do so with the belief that it will help in some way, particularly when they aren't expressing their opinion to the victims. I think it's understandable that people would be critical when they believe a child has come to harm because of a lack of parental supervision and far too simplistic to suggest that anyone who is critical of the parents in these situations "can't help being unkind".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not helpful, though I imagine when people express any opinion on a tragedy they don't do so with the belief that it will help in some way, particularly when they aren't expressing their opinion to the victims. I think it's understandable that people would be critical when they believe a child has come to harm because of a lack of parental supervision and far too simplistic to suggest that anyone who is critical of the parents in these situations "can't help being unkind".

It's not really the sum total of what I said and its less simplistic than just saying there is parental responsibility, particularly when it's already been accepted.

This place sometimes, I swear!
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Twitter is a waste of time. Largely a forum for arseholes to opine without thinking.

Also, I call upon people to stop creating Facebook tribute pages for dead people, especially those who have been featured in prominent news stories. You KNOW they will attract shitheads, so don't bother doing it.

I first heard of this story on facebook as i have a friend who loves joining these types of pages so she can say how much shes crying after reading it.

At first i thought it was one of those hoax ones that does the rounds but it seems this one is true.

I havent read it in detail but from what i gather social media websites are getting the blame for this girl being bullied online. Couldnt she just avoid certain sites or change her settings so the bullies couldnt contact her? And although i feel sorry for her,making videos just seemed to make her bullying worse.
  • Options
    KookyKatieKookyKatie Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    This place is a bit of fun when you're bored.

My entire life doesn't take place on here, nor do I have relationships that unfold purely on here and it isn't my only form of communication. Nor do I feel the need to be on here every second of the day... Something you can take or leave.

Some people I doubt can say the same about Facebook or Twitter :rolleyes:

All of the same can be said for Facebook and Twitter.