Options

home bargains, pound shops......where do they get their stock.

13»

Comments

• Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    I bought these recently, they were absolutely minute. I find Iceland's (yes I know) better value for multi packs of sweets and crisps .
    I noticed in my 99p shop today that they were selling kellogs cornflakes in very small amounts, and 10 wheetabix for 99p. It's much cheaper to buy supermarket own brand cereals.
    Personally I find myself buying less and less from pound shops . I can usually get better value at other shops - Iceland's, sainsburys and superdrug own brand toiletries are better than most of the stuff in my local 99p/pound shops.

When I saw Poundland were selling 4 pack mars and 4 pack Snickers for £1, I thought wow.

But then I saw the size of them and they aren't even 40 grams per bar. So there's less chocolate in the 4 packs than the 3 single ones for £1. It's certainly far poorer value for money getting the 4 pack than the 3 single ones. They must think the customers don't notice such things

When you eat smaller size chocolate bars I tend to be tempted to eating more chocolate. Reducing the size of chocolate bars is certainly counter productive in reality as the smaller bars don't mean most people eat less chocolate than before they reduced the sizes.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    I have heard they get their stock by buying off stock from companies when they go out of business I know Poundstretcher do this as I have seen Woolworths branded stock in there. They thrive off the recession.
  • Options
    made_in_londonmade_in_london Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Was in Poundland yesterday, I think they trying to compete with Ann Summers :)

I see a bullet Vibrator, vibrating C**k ring, condoms and durex pleasure gels :D
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    I have heard they get their stock by buying off stock from companies when they go out of business I know Poundstretcher do this as I have seen Woolworths branded stock in there. They thrive off the recession.

bankrupt stock is only one avenue, quite often retailers will want to clear old stock to make room for new stuff - for example what happened to all the olympic games branded stuff once the competition ended in places like tesco etc? It gets shipped back to the central warehouse and then auctioned off
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you look at poundland tools, many of them have been made in somebody's home
    "cottage industy". presumably in China. bit like uk manufacturing pre industrial revolution. the screwdrivers are done on a grinding wheel by hand - not machine tooled - hence are all indivdually slightly different if u look carefully .......
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    I assume they buy surplus, liquidation and discontinued stock etc.

They also have bulk buying power which brings the cost of each item down.

A friend of mine manages a Homebase store. At xmas they were selling decorations for approx £5 for baubles etc. I asked what happened with the stock left over and he said it is palleted up, sent back and auctioned off to shops like Poundland, Home and Bargains etc.
    So what cost a fiver last xmas could be bought for a quid this year!!
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    A heads up for 'Home Bargains', here. I love it in there!

I totally agree - by far the best of the 'cheap' shops in my experience with some remarkable offers if you look for them. ^_^