Options

home bargains, pound shops......where do they get their stock.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    they probably buy them in 99p shops........:p
    :D Ha ha, brilliant.

Some cheapie shops - I don't think Poundland is one of them - make a lot of use of EU markets; eg you will find Turkish writing on your coke cans.

The 'phantom brand' idea is interesting; it is true that people probably prefer to see 'Fenback farm' on their tinned food than 'Poundland'.

Shopping channels can be very misleading with phantom brands. My husband once bought a well-reviewed watch, but when he got it, it was oddly cheap and tacky. When we meticulously followed up all the reviews, it turned out that the brand was specific to that shopping channel, and all the reviews were on sites that related in some way to that shopping channel.

My pet Poundland hate is plasters; I bought a big multi-pack of plasters, and when I opened it they were literally the size of postage stamps. If your cut can be covered by a plaster of that size, it clearly doesn't need a plaster at all. >:(
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poundland don't have 3 cokes for a £1 anymore, Its now 2.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A heads up for 'Home Bargains', here. I love it in there!
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are companies out there who supply food goods to pound land and they box them up in the sizes they require. for example pound land may only sell a multipack that has X items at a cheaper cost where a supermarket would only sell XX items is that pack.

Those companies have repacking contracts with the manufacturers.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kosciusko wrote: »
    1 mars bar...56p or 3@£1
    4 packet of mars bars...£1
    7 packet of mars bars...£2.69

I only buy multipack confectionery, fizzy drinks and crisps at the supermarkets in an online shop when they are on special offer.

4 pack mars bars and 3 loose mars bars for £1 are only on special offer at supermarket.

The real rip off is the 1 x 51grams mars bar and all other single chocolate bars at supermarkets, corner shops, WH Smiths, Boots, Superdrug etc all charging well above the RRP's.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Relly wrote: »
    Places like this, OP:

http://www.delboyswholesale.co.uk/

I went in a pound shop the other day, actually, and I noticed some things were more expensive in there than in the supermarket, eg a 1kg bag of sugar for £1, with "WOW!!" stickers all around, but in Tesco and Aldi (both near me) a bag of sugar's around 85p. .
    Poundland's sugar is in 1.2kg bags, tahts why it says wow,, and while sugar prices were higher a couple of years ago, supermarkets were charging £1.15 per kg, poundland were still charging £1.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something I don't get is how long can pound shops carry on at £1?

I mean surely as the years go by the profit value must go down as things get more and more expensive to make etc?

I mean surely the profit margin even compared to 10 years ago must be less? will we still have pound shops in ten years time?

£2 Land Anyone ? :D

I actually remember going to the 50p shop as a child in the 80s, that became a pound shop so it's possible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Big bottles of Kronenbourg 1664=£1.70 at Quality Save:):):):):):):):
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poundland don't have 3 cokes for a £1 anymore, Its now 2.

It's pepsi (not coca cola), fanta, irn bru and one or 2 others @ 330ml that are 3 for 1.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that these fizzy drinks are available as pick and mix. The single standard size chocolate bars are 3 for £1 pick and mix.

You can buy 5 cans of coca cola for £2.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have never been in a Pound shop - because you have no need to - just have a quick look when you have five minutes because the OP is on to something here. Something is a bit odd.
    I took my own advice a couple of weeks ago and had a quick look.
    Large size Arm & Hammer Bicarb Toothpaste for.......you guessed it.
    Four packs of Trebor Extra strong mints for..........
    Etc
    Nobody wants to waste money during their weekly supermarket shop do they? Even if you have a comfortable income. Do you?

Maybe it is short use by dates? I will try to pay more attention.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pound City!

Anyone remember them?
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wholesalers? Like every other shop..? :D

I used to use www.mxwholesale.co.uk for the boot sales, that's a place that supplies £1-shop lines.

They're probably paying on average between 55p-75p for items being sold for £1. They don't make much profit per item so they rely on the sheer volume.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Poundland's sugar is in 1.2kg bags, tahts why it says wow,, and while sugar prices were higher a couple of years ago, supermarkets were charging £1.15 per kg, poundland were still charging £1.

I didn't realise there were different weights! I thought they were 1kg or 2kg only (or that really tiny size, which I can't remember) so thank you for that. I must have another look and see what weight they are in this pound shop near me, because I'm pretty sure it isn't Poundland. Food for thought - thank you. :)

There are other examples that still do apply, but I totally take that point on board. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    If you have never been in a Pound shop - because you have no need to - just have a quick look when you have five minutes because the OP is on to something here. Something is a bit odd.
    I took my own advice a couple of weeks ago and had a quick look.
    Large size Arm & Hammer Bicarb Toothpaste for.......you guessed it.
    Four packs of Trebor Extra strong mints for..........
    Etc
    Nobody wants to waste money during their weekly supermarket shop do they? Even if you have a comfortable income. Do you?

Maybe it is short use by dates? I will try to pay more attention.......

I thought trebor mints were only a sell by date.

Confectionery, fizzy drinks, unopened pure orange juice in carton and biscuits are fine to have well after the sell by date.

The unopened Don Simon pure orange juice in carton with a sell by date of 2011 was still great a month ago.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know why and where they get their stock?

For example in poundland you can buy 3 cans of coke for a pound yet the price in super markets etc is nearer £1 . The pound shops and home bargains must make a profit on what they buy.

Well yes, that's the general idea.
    I watched a program about pound shops a while ago and they said they try to buy things for a unit price of 25p or less but obviously like all shops they have their loss leaders.

Home Bargains is more liquidated stock, sometimes short dated stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well yes, that's the general idea.
    I watched a program about pound shops a while ago and they said they try to buy things for a unit price of 25p or less but obviously like all shops they have their loss leaders.

Home Bargains is more liquidated stock, sometimes short dated stuff.

On a pound shop programme - they were talking about the first online pound shop.

Which would be something to look forward to.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    On a pound shop programme - they were talking about the first online pound shop.

Which would be something to look forward to.

It wasn't the pound shop program that's been on recently by the way.
    There are several online pound shops now, as far as I'm aware.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't the pound shop program that's been on recently by the way.
    There are several online pound shops now, as far as I'm aware.

Ok - thanks for clarifying -pound shops seem an interesting subject.

Love going to them myself - I'm sad like that and do love a bargain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Poundland

9 Twix fingers @ 23 grams = £1.00
    4 Twix twins @ 50 grams (25 grams per finger) = £1.00.

You would be better buying the 9 twix fingers because there are virtually 4.5 twix twins.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    There's quite a few wholesalers who carry pound shop style lines. Many even have an online presence and are used by the local, small one man band pound shops as well as some Ebay sellers.

There are also wholesalers who deal in bankrupt stock, stock that major chains have over ordered and either returned or sold off etc.

But the huge chains, like Poundland and PoundWorld also order products direct, in bulk, from China which keeps costs low. With their buying power they can sometimes also order direct from the British or European manufacturer, including having the manufacturer produce smaller pack sizes specifically for sale through the pound shops.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

Thanks for the link, Interesting read.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PoundStretcher is cheaper then Poundland for Coca Cola, 45p for a can each plus they have the fridge packs as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but other retialers put prices up , Poundshops don't

^this

People are snobs, they will happily buy a coat with a desirable label for £350, when it probably didn't cost more than £25 to make.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    PoundStretcher is cheaper then Poundland for Coca Cola, 45p for a can each plus they have the fridge packs as well.

err... three cans for a pound is cheaper than 45p each.

Poundland is currently three cans for a pound, or was last week when I was last in there.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    In Poundland

9 Twix fingers @ 23 grams = £1.00
    4 Twix twins @ 50 grams (25 grams per finger) = £1.00.

You would be better buying the 9 twix fingers because there are virtually 4.5 twix twins.

I bought these recently, they were absolutely minute. I find Iceland's (yes I know) better value for multi packs of sweets and crisps .
    I noticed in my 99p shop today that they were selling kellogs cornflakes in very small amounts, and 10 wheetabix for 99p. It's much cheaper to buy supermarket own brand cereals.
    Personally I find myself buying less and less from pound shops . I can usually get better value at other shops - Iceland's, sainsburys and superdrug own brand toiletries are better than most of the stuff in my local 99p/pound shops.