Options

Duchess of Kent looks depressed

Comments

• Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is like a lot of the Kents!

Does that mean the Duke of Kent is no longer in the line of succession? Interestingly I checked on Wiki (I know) and he is still listed on there, although others like Prince Michael of Kent & 2 of the Duke of Kent's sons aren't.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and consoling Steffi Graff when she lost

Steffi won... It was Jana Novotna :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ObApMX_wLo

What a lovely person the Duchess is :)
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    She looked awfully unsteady on her feet as she entered, and seemed very disorientated.
  • Options
    pinot_noirpinot_noir Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Does that mean the Duke of Kent is no longer in the line of succession? Interestingly I checked on Wiki (I know) and he is still listed on there, although others like Prince Michael of Kent & 2 of the Duke of Kent's sons aren't.

The Duke of Kent is still in the line of succession because the Duchess was not Catholic when he married her. Prince Michael of Kent and the Dukes elder son both married Catholics and the Duke's younger son became Catholic and gave up their places to do so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No he's still in line as The Duchess was Protestant at the time of their marriage.She converted to Catholicism in the mid 1990's as did several of her children/grandchildren.

The RC's in the extended Royal Family.

The Duchess of Kent
    Princess Michael of Kent
    Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor
    Sylvana Windsor, Countess of St Andrews
    Edward Windsor, Lord Downpatrick
    Lady Marina-Charlotte Windsor
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pinot_noir wrote: »
    The Duke of Kent is still in the line of succession because the Duchess was not Catholic when he married her. Prince Michael of Kent and the Dukes elder son both married Catholics and the Duke's younger son became Catholic and gave up their places to do so.

Sounds a bit daft. Mind you the whole ban on marrying Catholics is a bit daft but have a feeling that will go along with Male's taking precedence in the line of succession.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds a bit daft. Mind you the whole ban on marrying Catholics is a bit daft but have a feeling that will go along with Male's taking precedence in the line of succession.

In this day & age its quite silly & like you said it might go when or if the succession are ammended.

The ban on Catholics is why I turned down Prince William a few years back :p
  • Options
    AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    I didn't see her at the wedding. I would like to see her. I know she is an elderly lady now but she was always someone who had style, very elegant. A great lady.
  • Options
    blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    She is fairly active for a 78 year old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AntoniaA wrote: »
    I didn't see her at the wedding. I would like to see her. I know she is an elderly lady now but she was always someone who had style, very elegant. A great lady.

The Duchess of Kent at the Royal Wedding,her public apperances are very rare these days,just Royal Weddings/Funerals & the odd State Visits.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20110501/news/images/CORRECTION-Britain-Royal-W.jpg
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How very sad. :cry:

She always seemed a beautiful woman, both inside & out.

Her daughter, Helen, who looked beautiful at the wedding, is now carrying the banner. :)
  • Options
    DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the duchess at one time wanted a divorce, but since she later converted to Catholicism she may have decided to remain married even though she and the duke live separate lives. She always seemed a lovely lady and was very beautiful. I thought she looked rather fragile at the wedding, but perhaps that was down to not having attended such a high profile public occasion for a long time. She was supposed to be suffering from ME or something similar and I read once that she also was suffering from coeliac(sp?) disease but eventually got this under control. She also lost a baby, so no wonder she has suffered from depression. It's said the Queen is very fond of her and in the main always was more sympathetic to her side of things than to the duke's.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone remember the Duchess of Kent presenting the trophies at Wimbleton?

Yes she was a regular at Wimbledon for many years. Lovely person.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    Paace wrote: »

You could always tell when she presented the men's trophy which ones she particularly liked - all done in the gentlest, most ladylike way, of course.
  • Options
    AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    She is a great lady. Until a few years ago she had great style too.
    Most importantly, she seems a genuinely good soul. I saw her once at Westminster Cathedral at a lunch time Mass.

I didn't know about the proposed divorce. Not much point in them getting divorced now really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »

A kind & gentle Lady,she's quite religious too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Red Whine wrote: »
    I didn't realise ho old she was either, I can remember her getting married, she was a beautiful bride.

I remember it too and, yes, she was a beautiful bride. I believe her name was Katherine Worsley if I remember correctly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can anyone remember the Duchess of Kent presenting the trophies at Wimbleton?
    Yes and consoling Steffi Graff when she lost

Yes, I remember how kind she was to Jana.

She was, and still is, a very gracious lady IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The ban on Catholics is why I turned down Prince William a few years back :p

The same thing happened to me too !! :cry::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Castanet wrote: »
    I remember it too and, yes, she was a beautiful bride. I believe her name was Katherine Worsley if I remember correctly?

She was born Katharine Lucy Mary Worsley on the 22nd of February 1933.
  • Options
    theiatheia Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched an interview with the Duchess of Kent on Sunday Morning Live. What a lovely lady she is...self effacing and gentle. Reading this thread it appears that her life hasn't been particularly easy but she has come through the difficult times without the bitterness that can affect so many of us.

I felt quite moved watching her interview
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    what the...? it's 3 years old thread so why bump it up?
  • Options
    theiatheia Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »
    what the...? it's 3 years old thread so why bump it up?

Oh, I'm really sorry :blush: after the interview this morning I found this thread on page 1 of Google and, because the Duchess of Kent doesn't appear to be a high profile celebrity and is someone who isn't discussed much, I thought it would be acceptable to add to the existing thread.

My apologies.
  • Options
    Suky MSuky M Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    theia wrote: »
    Oh, I'm really sorry :blush: after the interview this morning I found this thread on page 1 of Google and, because the Duchess of Kent doesn't appear to be a high profile celebrity and is someone who isn't discussed much, I thought it would be acceptable to add to the existing thread.

My apologies.

Don't see that you have anything to apologise for;-) No rules broken.

Thank you; I enjoyed your comment. Yes, DoK is a lovely, serene lady.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she didn't look very well.