Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another cheerful start to the Derbyshire show this morning with a discussion on disability hate crime. I tuned in yesterday around this time, heard the depressing topics being discussed then and turned off.

Derbyshire not in the studio again. 2 days out of 2 this year. Might be worth checking what the attendance record is as the year passes.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    And here's a topic relevant to this thread - pundit or journo? Every talk/sport station needs a combination of both - but has the balance swung too much towards punditry?

Of course, on air verbal punch ups between the two are nothing new - and I would suggest that a lot of ding dongs you hear are pure "radio theatre". It's a performance. This example sounds different, but putting on an act when the microphone opens are part of the mix.

I used to like the old way, dare i say “pre Sky” where the commentator (usually Peter Jones) would bring in the summeriser from time to time to give thoughts and opinions, it wasn’t the conversational, matey stuff that you get these days. I think the old guard from the Angus MacKay era were schooled in a totally different way to what we have now. I know things move on and evolve, but I do dislike the “you say this and i’ll disagree with you” type of stuff we have now
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another cheerful start to the Derbyshire show this morning with a discussion on disability hate crime. I tuned in yesterday around this time, heard the depressing topics being discussed then and turned off.

Derbyshire not in the studio again. 2 days out of 2 this year. Might be worth checking what the attendance record is as the year passes.

Amother happy New year in the Derbyshire studio then! :p

tried to catch Charley boorman interview which thought would be bacon but obviously still on holiday (as is NCampbell even though they spent Christmas together we got Rburden back this morning)
    & we got Phil Williams instead this afternoon who some like I know but not a fan here...
    sounded ok but have to relisten to it (Im into motorcycles so was very interested in what charley had to say)

as to the above _ well soccer not my bag but it always amazes where they find all these talking heads & it's often "let's talk to Phil gribbledrake who played for arkham rovers in 1973 & hear his thoughts on what happened in man city' s changing rooms last tuesday"
    ........ why? :confused:
    even what a reporter thinks is usually bad enough as it usually just guesswork but these random people are quite laughable... :)
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every talk/sport station needs a combination of both - but has the balance swung too much towards punditry?

I think so. 606 used to have one presenter and used to be all about the views of the fans. Sometimes nowadays, it seems more about the presenters.
    Might be worth checking what the attendance record is as the year passes.

Read the Daily Mail on Saturdays for updates on Victoria Derbyshire's attendance.

Another cheerful start to the Derbyshire show this morning with a discussion on disability hate crime.

I think people would feel more positively about listening to discussions about disability issues if they weren't as frequent or as similar, or they weren't part of what seems to be a conveyer belt of sob stories. The impact stories about disability hate crime can have must surely be decreased by the regularity of them and the fact almost every day there is a sob story on that show.

During the Paralympics, by telling me that I must use certain terminology when talking to the disabled and follow all sorts of rules, 5 Live made me wonder if it would be easier to just not bother talking to disabled people ever again. I've spoken to people with all sorts of disabilities (mental, learning, neurological, problems with legs, ears and eyes, and their attitudes weren't as bad as the people on 5 Live. Where do they get those disability activists from? Are they part of some network with good media relations with 5 Live?

Widening this out a bit, what also infuriates me is their constant use of the same guests. It was Owen Jones a few months ago. They always invite the same man to talk about Muslim issues as if his perspective on Muslim issues is representative of Muslims as a whole. Another one is a criminal who was in prison and now writes for the Guardian. For a while, former TalkSport presenter John Gaunt was frequently invited to speak on the BBC. There must be numerous examples. Why do these same people always get selected to speak about their pet topics?

It wouldn't have been any more cheerful if she was in the studio.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,071
    Forum Member
    Seems strange 5live are so keen to let La Derbyshire swan up to Salford when she fancies (and not much by the looks of it). I wonder if the technical and admin staff whose jobs were relocated to Salford are also given the same courtesy.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I think so. 606 used to have one presenter and used to be all about the views of the fans. Sometimes nowadays, it seems more about the presenters

During the Paralympics, by telling me that I must use certain terminology when talking to the disabled and follow all sorts of rules

Widening this out a bit, what also infuriates me is their constant use of the same guests. It was Owen Jones a few months ago. They always invite the same man to talk about Muslim issues as if his perspective on Muslim issues is representative of Muslims as a whole. Another one is a criminal who was in prison and now writes for the Guardian. For a while, former TalkSport presenter John Gaunt was frequently invited to speak on the BBC. There must be numerous examples. Why do these same people always get selected to speak about their pet topics?

It wouldn't have been any more cheerful if she was in the studio.

I love that last bit......it certainly wouldn't be any happier....

as to above....funny enough when talking to disabled people I don't use any proscribed terminology what I tend to do which seems to work is just talk to them! you know like human beings...no specific words just that.....

and as I said above about the talking heads......please please no medhi Hassan & definitely no Owen Jones anymore ......

I'd love to know maybe under FOI request how much they pay these people for a few minutes.... :eek:
  • Options
    didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I can't remember his name, but I absolutely detest that stuck-up fool of a teacher they always wheel out whenever there are any educational discussions.

Regarding the programming in general, I really like 5 Live. It's my initial station of choice whenever I switch on, but I do think they've got the daytime schedule wrong. I like Breakfast a lot (I actually quite like Nicky Campbell, sorry) and I've grown to tolerate Burden a bit more as she seems to shoot her mouth off a bit less. I listen to Your Call if the subject matter interests me, but I cannot stand the Derbyshire programme for all of the reasons already outlined and so usually fairly quickly switch to 6 Music instead. The Shelagh show is OK, but too dull and just a continuation of the Derbyshire one really apart from PMQs where it comes to life a bit more. Then, I really like Richard Bacon's show (I think I'm desperate for a change by then) and I'll usually listen to about an hour of Drive which I also like before it gets too repetitive.

So, my issue is really with the 10:00 - 12:00 slot. We've just had hours of news, we need a couple of hours of lighter relief before we go back to another couple of hours of newsy stuff 12:00 - 14:00. Just do some interesting features! Maybe some science which isn't dumbed down, interesting news or political stuff from around the world, books, cookery, anything! I don't listen every weekday as I unfortunately do have to work sometimes, so maybe this stuff is on when I'm not listening (or maybe not).

I'll go through weekends another time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Seems strange 5live are so keen to let La Derbyshire swan up to Salford when she fancies (and not much by the looks of it). I wonder if the technical and admin staff whose jobs were relocated to Salford are also given the same courtesy.

The empty chair presenting from Salford again today . 3 for 3 this week.
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this issue of from where Derbyshire broadcasts is of importance to contributors here but to the average punter out there does it really matter?

As for the Mail keeping tabs on her, their motives are anti BBC and anti career women.

None of you have explained why she has received so many awards. I mean the judges have a lifetime in Radio so what do they know?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »

None of you have explained why she has received so many awards.

Yes, I'm at a loss to explain it. But then Talksport was station of the year not so long ago.

Simon Mayo couldn't commit to Salford and had to surrender his job. Derbyshire can't commit to Salford and gets to keep hers. How does that work?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member

Nearly all the regular day time regulars on most stations aren't back until Monday?
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    I know this issue of from where Derbyshire broadcasts is of importance to contributors here but to the average punter out there does it really matter?

As for the Mail keeping tabs on her, their motives are anti BBC and anti career women.

None of you have explained why she has received so many awards. I mean the judges have a lifetime in Radio so what do they know?

Quite. And who needs the Daily Mail when we have certain contributors giving frequent updates on here?
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »

The impact stories about disability hate crime can have must surely be decreased by the regularity of them and the fact almost every day there is a sob story on that show.

During the Paralympics, by telling me that I must use certain terminology when talking to the disabled and follow all sorts of rules, 5 Live made me wonder if it would be easier to just not bother talking to disabled people ever again. I've spoken to people with all sorts of disabilities (mental, learning, neurological, problems with legs, ears and eyes, and their attitudes weren't as bad as the people on 5 Live. Where do they get those disability activists from? Are they part of some network with good media relations with 5 Live?

It seems some people have a big issue with the number of "sob stories" on Five Live. Well guess what - life sucks sometimes and I don't think there's anything wrong with reflecting the realities of life. I know a few people who've been the victims of hate crime, and in my experience they welcome coverage of the subject.

On disability terminology, I suspect that the discussions you heard were the result of Paralympics GB issuing a rather long and somewhat patronising set of guidelines of what broadcasters should and shouldn't say. It certainly wasn't the BBC's fault.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Three solutions -
    1. Do a Mission Impossible style conversion of the studio she uses into an exact replica of the Salford one, staffed with doubles of Rachel Hodges and the travel and sports presenters.
    2. Use the latest hologram technology to project an image of Derbyshire into the Salford studio.
    3. Derbyshire to travel to Salford.
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would think that some bright BBC spark at Salford would at least have some imagination concerning the 5live webcam and place a cardboard cut out of Derbyshire on the empty studio chair, just to give the impression of her being there, if only in spirit.You know as a keeping up appearances token gesture and that some presenters do actually broadcast from there ,so as not to give the impression that this is not the most complete charade in the history of radio broadcasting.

Obviously she has her child care issues written into her extremely lucrative contract excusing her from travelling, except in and around the south.In a private company you would never get away with such cosy treatment.

How can there be any credibility with her getting Sony Awards when at the same time they laughingly gave Robbie Savage one for Best Radio Newcomer ? Derbyshires self promotion and publicity machine, including her own self importance, went into overdrive when she got that undeserved award for speech broadcasting.If she had been given an award for exploiting other people and their stories of abject misery and saw it as a career move, than I could have understood it.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

Jon Gaunt also received several awards during his radio career.

Awards mean nothing. I rest my case.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Three solutions -
    1. Do a Mission Impossible style conversion of the studio she uses into an exact replica of the Salford one, staffed with doubles of Rachel Hodges and the travel and sports presenters.
    2. Use the latest hologram technology to project an image of Derbyshire into the Salford studio.
    3. Derbyshire to travel to Salford.

4. Just fire her for being irritating.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,071
    Forum Member
    Jon Gaunt also received several awards during his radio career.

Awards mean nothing. I rest my case.

The Sony Awards generally seem a bit of a joke - just handed round from station to station in some form of self congratulatory rota.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    I thought at first Pat was just having a joke with Robbie Savage , but it soon became clear he was being serious . Made for good radio though .I very much respect Pat Murphy , he certainly does to his research , and is an expert on Midlands football .

Robbie Savage is really poor as a football pundit. I remember his first effort as a summarisier when fivelive first took him on and he was asked for his analysis he said "You should ask Chris Waddle who understands these things""

It has been the only sensible thing I have heard him say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Robbie Savage is really poor as a football pundit. I remember his first effort as a summarisier when fivelive first took him on and he was asked for his analysis he said "You should ask Chris Waddle who understands these things""

It has been the only sensible thing I have heard him say.

Well for someone with no discernible talent or previous media training, there's absolutely no getting away form Savage these days.In fact the media moguls seem to want to treat him as a ' pin up ' and obviously have some kind of a ' love in ' with him at present.Turn on 5live and he's either co commentating or he's on 606.......switch on the tv and there he is again in some betting chain advert .....and all this after his strictly dancing appearances.If anyone can tell me what this fascination with Savage is by the media big wigs/producers ........ then I would appreciate it ?

He also cropped up on a trailer for some joke show on Sky One he is in........ the other night !! Its freaking me out !
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People here continue to be obsessed with where Derbyshire presents the show from. Why? Do you wish her to give you full details of her private life?

Mayo presents from London. So what?

Have some of you nothing better to do with your time than check a webcam at 10 in the morning?

As for programme content well I am sorry you find this not to your liking. However I for one find many of the interviews Derbyshire does interesting often shedding new light on certain news topics. And frankly the last thing I care about is where she is broadcasting from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People here continue to be obsessed with where Derbyshire presents the show from. Why? Do you wish her to give you full details of her private life?

Have some of you nothing better to do with your time than check a webcam at 10 in the morning?

Mayo presents his 2 hour 5live show on just a Friday, not 5 days a week !

As we , the licence fee payer, pay Derbyshire's BBC salary of £250,000 a year I think we are more than entitled to ask legitimate questions about not only the dire content of her programme but her infrequent Salford broadcasts ? Its a good job someone in the general public is keeping an eye on things at the BBC and those people deserve our support.I applaud anyone who takes the trouble to investigate that the BBC and their presenters are acting in a good and proper manner and are doing the job they are extremely well paid for to do, correctly.After all these 5live presenters are all to quick in criticising others and rudely prying into other peoples private lives and asking questions where they shouldn't , lets scrutinise the 5live presenters as well, I say and if they don't like the same dished out to them........tough !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didas wrote: »
    I can't remember his name, but I absolutely detest that stuck-up fool of a teacher they always wheel out whenever there are any educational discussions.

Simon Ward. I'd forgotten about him. He is a teacher in a private school somewhere.
    None of you have explained why she has received so many awards.

Those awards don't matter to "the average punter out there" either.
    It seems some people have a big issue with the number of "sob stories" on Five Live. Well guess what - life sucks sometimes and I don't think there's anything wrong with reflecting the realities of life.

\Why not give them a show on Sunday nights instead of having an almost daily sob story, and advertise it as a show of sob stories and that will try to persuade the listener to adopt the views of those pushing the sob stories? Many sob stories seem to be broadcast to advance or prove a certain view.
    I know a few people who've been the victims of hate crime, and in my experience they welcome coverage of the subject.

It's the style of coverage that I don't like.
    On disability terminology, I suspect that the discussions you heard were the result of Paralympics GB issuing a rather long and somewhat patronising set of guidelines of what broadcasters should and shouldn't say. It certainly wasn't the BBC's fault.

Yes it was. They could have chosen to broadcast commentary on something that was happening at the time instead. 5 Live typically talks about something else instead of what's happening, unless the sport is Premier League, European or international football.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen Nolan's interview with a spokesperson from the Ulster People's Forum was good radio tonight. It was just as entertaining the second time it was played as it was the first time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for programme content well I am sorry you find this not to your liking. However I for one find many of the interviews Derbyshire does interesting often shedding new light on certain news topics. And frankly the last thing I care about is where she is broadcasting from.

It's about fairness and it's about (and I'm sure it's a word that Ms Derbyshire is familiar with ) equality. The move to Salford was planned years ago and all the daytime presenters would have been given the choice to move with the station or leave for pastures new. You have to assume that she agreed. As a staunch leftist herself, one out , all out will be a motto she sympathises with.

Now let's have a look at the daytime presenters

Nicky Campbell

Married, young children, media profile elsewhere, but presents from Salford

Rachel Burden

Married, young children and looks to have move the family up with her.

Rachael Hodges.

Moved up to Salford to do news reading

Shelagh Fogherty

Presents most of her shows from Salford

Richard Bacon

As London centric as they come. Married , young child, but still presents from Salford 4 days a week, most weeks.

Peter Allen

The doyenne of the daily crew. Past retirement age but still willing to travel up to the North to do the jobs most days. And unlike the statement in a previous post, he was back at work wednesday as was Burden

Which leaves us with Queen Victoria, Princess tippy toes who stamps down her size 5' s and 'up there I will not go'. This is an untenable situation, and the only answer I can see is that her 'contacts' in the higher echelons are seeing her through
This discussion has been closed.