If you love God. Make some noise

Comments

• Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    si29uk wrote: »
    It is impossible to prove a negative

No it isn't. It depends on what the negative is.

There is no whole number that is both bigger than 20 and smaller than 2.

You saying that can't be proved?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fisch wrote: »
    Didnt that come from the 1 who allegedly stole money from his employers???

Ha ha ..... You are right. You beat me to it.
  • Options
    cctpscctps Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Says who?

The recent research indicates quite clearly that the majority of UK citizens identify as having NO religious affiliation. And that majority is rising.

If you look at the figures for church attendance - that has fallen from 11% in 1980 to 6% today. The trend indicates that this will fall further to 4% by 2020.

It is true that the Church of England has a very special place within our constitution - but that does not make us a Christian nation. It is merely a hangover from a different time that has yet to be addressed.

But even within Christianity there are many different sects, many different opinions - which of those is the 'correct one'?

If people want to believe in a god, they are free to do so. But they do not also have the right to push that belief system on others.

THIS. It's funny how when Christians (who are the minority in this country by the way) express their opinions, it's called expressing your faith, yet when I, an atheist, do the same, it's called disgusting and offensive. While the person who replied to me may not be a Christian, they clearly are religious. This simply proves my opinion about religious people being ignorant and judgemental.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cctps wrote: »
    THIS. It's funny how when Christians (who are the minority in this country by the way) express their opinions, it's called expressing your faith, yet when I, an atheist, do the same, it's called disgusting and offensive. While the person who replied to me may not be a Christian, they clearly are religious. This simply proves my opinion about religious people being ignorant and judgemental.

Ignorant enough to come out with "Statistics show Christianity will be pretty much gone in 200 years."?
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kwazykat61 wrote: »
    Why is is inappropriate ! We ARE a christian country
    Says who?

The recent research indicates quite clearly that the majority of UK citizens identify as having NO religious affiliation. And that majority is rising.

If you look at the figures for church attendance - that has fallen from 11% in 1980 to 6% today. The trend indicates that this will fall further to 4% by 2020.

It is true that the Church of England has a very special place within our constitution - but that does not make us a Christian nation. It is merely a hangover from a different time that has yet to be addressed.

But even within Christianity there are many different sects, many different opinions - which of those is the 'correct one'?

If people want to believe in a god, they are free to do so. But they do not also have the right to push that belief system on others.

GB is a Christian country in terms of its cultural history. Christianity has shaped the history, literature, culture, politics, education even the rationalism which has led to the modern dissatisfaction with Christianity has been shaped by that religion. Irrespective of whether there is a 'correct' Christian sect (that is a theological question), all of these Christian denominations are followers of Christ and the Christian Gospel and have been influential in the development of these Islands.

Christianity is part of the fabric and doesn't seek to push its beliefs in the same way that sections within radical Islam do.
  • Options
    cctpscctps Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    Ignorant enough to come out with "Statistics show Christianity will be pretty much gone in 200 years."?

I fail to see how stating a statistic can show ignorance. It's not ignorant to say it's going to rain tomorrow once you've watched the forecast.
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neelia wrote: »

Actually its true about statistics showing that religion will die out in years to come, I don't know the specific amount of years it was estimated at, but its pretty much what they predict will happen.
  • Options
    Kwazykat61Kwazykat61 Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    GB is a Christian country in terms of its cultural history. Christianity has shaped the history, literature, culture, politics, education even the rationalism which has led to the modern dissatisfaction with Christianity has been shaped by that religion. Irrespective of whether there is a 'correct' Christian sect (that is a theological question), all of these Christian denominations are followers of Christ and the Christian Gospel and have been influential in the development of these Islands.

Christianity is part of the fabric and doesn't seek to push its beliefs in the same way that sections within radical Islam do.

Thankyou
  • Options
    researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The first paragraph was good but you let yourself down with the last sentence.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rough Copy's finest hour... :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanP wrote: »
    His comment just made me all the more glad they were voted out. It's just so out of place talking about god when everybody is feeling so festive. With Leona having just sung an upbeat song about it not being long until we get loads of presents, stuff our face with food, get drunk and watch Doctor Who, it was really annoying that he brought up god. God's to busy whipping up typhoons, famines, new diseases and starting wars to worry about X Factor contestants.

Sorry, I feel this comment is a bit odd. Where do think the Christmas break first originated from? Why would anyone pick a holiday time dead in the middle of winter as a winter holiday if it didn't have some religious background? In fact, if you were being pedantic, why celebrate Christmas if you don't have some belief in the religious meaning behind it? I am not making a religious statement, just maybe echoing what some people might say?
  • Options
    RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member

Well Said :)

Though it should be stated most Islams are not extremists. All religions have extremists (Hitler was Catholic) Extremism should be put down to individual beliefs not a religious demographic :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    why celebrate Christmas if you don't have some belief in the religious meaning behind it?

Probably because to a lot of people Christmas is just a holiday, a time to take a break, catchup with friends and family, give gifts to the people in your life you care about, have a good drink, eat lots of chocolate and mince pies, watch tv, relax and be merry. It doesn't matter what the holiday is called, you can still celebrate Christmas without having to be religious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazman wrote: »
    Probably because to a lot of people Christmas is just a holiday, a time to take a break, catchup with friends and family, give gifts to the people in your life you care about, have a good drink, eat lots of chocolate and mince pies, watch tv, relax and be merry. It doesn't matter what the holiday is called, you can still celebrate Christmas without having to be religious.

I am aware of that - I wasn't offering my own opinion.:)

I just found the previous comment by someone - that they found it odd someone performing on X Factor mentioning God at a time people were being festive - a bit of an odd comment to make as the whole Christmas Holiday stems originally from a religious event.

The fact that it has lost its meaning under a welter of blatent consumerism is where we are now, of course. But some people still stick to it's original meaning, so why shouldn't they be able to express that on a TV show, and what is odd about it?
  • Options
    sycamoresycamore Posts: 4,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I feel this comment is a bit odd. Where do think the Christmas break first originated from? Why would anyone pick a holiday time dead in the middle of winter as a winter holiday if it didn't have some religious background? In fact, if you were being pedantic, why celebrate Christmas if you don't have some belief in the religious meaning behind it? I am not making a religious statement, just maybe echoing what some people might say?

He was making a point ;)

But we celebrate Christmas 'dead in the middle of winter as a winter holiday' because it appropriated the winter solstice we already celebrated before the (Christian) god botherers got here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    who is this "god" you talk of OP , simon cowell ?
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    I'd rather have someone shout out the God thing than have to watch another second of a grown man wearing a bloody back pack while performing on stage, oh and trainers with wings...

Really, it's not cool.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is impossible to prove a negative - it is for the person making the claim about existence to provide the evidence. Extraordinary claims (like the existence of a god) require extraordinary evidence. And there has been no such evidence (that meets the basic tests of the scientific method) that any god exists.

So if you are going to get into this sort of debate - at least know the basics of the arguments.

The person to whom you were replying was talking about the danger of 'judgemental Christians' - not all Christians. I can cite plenty of examples of such people (members of the Westboro Baptist Church for one) who are deeply unpleasant and cause great harm to the people they choose to oppose.

Turning to your point about society - actually the facts contradict the claim you are making. In the US, the proportion of atheists in prison is lower than in the population at large - and so that would hardly indicate that non-believers are more likely to do harm. Similar findings have been found in other countries who have carried out the same sort of research. Religion has been at the root of many, many conflicts over the centuries and is still being used to justify abhorrent behaviour all round the world today.

Now I don't believe that whichever member of Rough Copy who shouted out in the way he did is on a par with Fred Phelps - but he was still wrong to bring his faith into the show in the way he did. It was inappropriate.

I suggest you go to the library, get yourself a copy of an English translation of The Holy Quran. You will see what miraculous things have been described in there, years & years before science made these discoveries. Then you will understand the existence of God.

I dont need to prove or disprove anything to you. I have my own faith- and your beliefs won't touch me at all.

However having basic tolerance for other's beliefs is simple manners. I'm not a Christian, yet dont see why you are so set out to make Christianity sound so bad??! I may not agree with some of their practices but to say nasty things about a faith really shows what kind of a person you must be.
    Don't offend other's faiths and try & live happily with different communities... Or were you not taught this at primary school?
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad they went when he said that. And had the thought "You want an appropriate noise I can make a farting sound." Also maybe shot himself in the foot as it was proof his god doesn't exist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Said :)

Though it should be stated most Islams are not extremists. All religions have extremists (Hitler was Catholic) Extremism should be put down to individual beliefs not a religious demographic :)

Exactly!!! There are people out there who do horrible things to others regardless of what religion they are.
    For the record, Islam if followed correctly is a beautiful & peaceful religion- totally misinterpreted by extremists- which obviously attract the most attention sadly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first paragraph was good but you let yourself down with the last sentence.

Agreed. Its a shame really- some people really are so blatantly prejudiced & rude! As if other religions dont have extremists... Easiest to just pick on Islam!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't see the problem. I dislike it when people who are religious talk about their religion like it's fact applied to everyone, but that's not what he did. He said 'if you love god, make some noise' that's not being forceful, it's not being superior, it's just a boy asking for support from others who believe as he does and I don't see anything wrong with that at all. I can't believe some of the reactions on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't see the problem. I dislike it when people who are religious talk about their religion like it's fact applied to everyone, but that's not what he did. He said 'if you love god, make some noise' that's not being forceful, it's not being superior, it's just a boy asking for support from others who believe as he does and I don't see anything wrong with that at all. I can't believe some of the reactions on here.

Exactly!! People have taken it to mean that he's preaching & making people follow his beliefs! Some people really need to get a grip & let people have their own views & stop putting other's beliefs down! This whole thread really needs to be shut down- its unnecessarily rude & hurtful!
  • Options
    noelw1969noelw1969 Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just reading some of these posts and besides the fact that I am most definitely NOT making any noise, I wouldn't expect anyone to bring theological comments or discussion to the X factor any more than I would expect anyone to bring political comments or discussion to the X Factor.

I don't believe talent shows provide platforms for such things so they are best left omitted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am aware of that - I wasn't offering my own opinion.:)

I just found the previous comment by someone - that they found it odd someone performing on X Factor mentioning God at a time people were being festive - a bit of an odd comment to make as the whole Christmas Holiday stems originally from a religious event.

The fact that it has lost its meaning under a welter of blatent consumerism is where we are now, of course. But some people still stick to it's original meaning, so why shouldn't they be able to express that on a TV show, and what is odd about it?

Actually the whole winter holiday was already celebrated before the religious Christians turned it into a religious holiday, but whatever. I think the whole oddness was to do with him asking the crowd to cheer for God... felt abit like preaching to the congregation in a church.. Hallalujah praise Jesus! I don't have a problem with it, people can believe whatever they like and thank God for this and pray for people etc but I agree it was a bit of an odd thing to say on a Saturday night TV show.