Options

If you love God. Make some noise

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what if he expressed his faith?! Whats the big problem with that?! He isn't saying anything nasty/vulgar/illegal by referring to God is he?! Some ppl on here really take things way too seriously. Its his faith- & if he wants to acknowledge God then let him!

I also have strong religious beliefs, & feel by him referring to God was actually really lovely. Had new found respect for those guys.
  • Options
    cctpscctps Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth is that a fact? Statistics show people will just stop believing? God is something I BELIEVE in. I don't look down or condem anybody for thinking the alternatives...its there business. I don't criticise them and I expect the same courtsey. (For the record Rough Copy didn't criticise either...just state there faith...So I don't know where this condeming thing has come from) :)

Instead of coming across all high and mighty because YOU think You are right...just leave it be. They are not attacking anyone for not believing.

EVEN if what I believe...is a load of rubbish...So what? Its not going to effect me when it comes to the end. But FAITH (Along with Family) has helped me get through some Very Bad times in my life. If I didn't have faith that there was a design for all this...Life would get a whole lot harder.

Nobody is asking you to believe but it is not your place to condem others either for believing in him :)

If you choose to believe in an entity that there has never been any proof for, just because you can't handle and deal with the truth about what has happened in your life, then that is up to you.

My comment about judgemental Christians wasn't about how they judge the faith of others. It was about how they claim to be loving whilst being amongst some of the most judgemental, hateful people in the world.

Religion causes so much harm to society. We'd be far better off without it so that we can instead focus on actually being decent human beings.
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the highlight of the weekend tbh
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He clearly was a bit emotional and got caught up in the moment but I was a bit like "what!?!" and cringing. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was inappropriate, just odd and out of place with what was going on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cctps wrote: »
    If you choose to believe in an entity that there has never been any proof for, just because you can't handle and deal with the truth about what has happened in your life, then that is up to you.

My comment about judgemental Christians wasn't about how they judge the faith of others. It was about how they claim to be loving whilst being amongst some of the most judgemental, hateful people in the world.

Religion causes so much harm to society. We'd be far better off without it so that we can instead focus on actually being decent human beings.

Wow... What a disgustingly ignorant & rude post. What proof have u actually got that God doesnt exist?! I'm not even Christian- but even I am highly offended by this post. I didnt even post the comment you replied to & yet think your post is disgusting.

Maybe if more people believed in religion and feared God then our society wouldn't be in tatters like it is now.
  • Options
    Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you believe giving religious shout outs in what very much seems like a vote-pandering way , regardless of your beliefs,while performing in a competition is a douche move, make some NOISE! :D
  • Options
    foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe if more people believed in religion and feared God then our society wouldn't be in tatters like it is now.

Like in Syria? Hardly!

I wouldn't have been concerned if Rough Copy guy had said " I believe in God", but he didn't.
    It was in reality, a good way of alienating a portion of potential fans by suggesting they are not quite whole if they don't believe in God.
  • Options
    Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Believe in religion and fear God? Nope. I believe in God,and fear religion. When it comes to "God"(As an ideal or a being or form of consciousness),there is no real evidence that He/She/It/They have ever harmed anyone, but religion? Not so much.
  • Options
    si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow... What a disgustingly ignorant & rude post. What proof have u actually got that God doesnt exist?! I'm not even Christian- but even I am highly offended by this post. I didnt even post the comment you replied to & yet think your post is disgusting.

It is impossible to prove a negative - it is for the person making the claim about existence to provide the evidence. Extraordinary claims (like the existence of a god) require extraordinary evidence. And there has been no such evidence (that meets the basic tests of the scientific method) that any god exists.

So if you are going to get into this sort of debate - at least know the basics of the arguments.

The person to whom you were replying was talking about the danger of 'judgemental Christians' - not all Christians. I can cite plenty of examples of such people (members of the Westboro Baptist Church for one) who are deeply unpleasant and cause great harm to the people they choose to oppose.

Turning to your point about society - actually the facts contradict the claim you are making. In the US, the proportion of atheists in prison is lower than in the population at large - and so that would hardly indicate that non-believers are more likely to do harm. Similar findings have been found in other countries who have carried out the same sort of research. Religion has been at the root of many, many conflicts over the centuries and is still being used to justify abhorrent behaviour all round the world today.

Now I don't believe that whichever member of Rough Copy who shouted out in the way he did is on a par with Fred Phelps - but he was still wrong to bring his faith into the show in the way he did. It was inappropriate.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    si29uk wrote: »
    It is impossible to prove a negative - it is for the person making the claim about existence to provide the evidence. Extraordinary claims (like the existence of a god) require extraordinary evidence. And there has been no such evidence (that meets the basic tests of the scientific method) that any god exists.

So if you are going to get into this sort of debate - at least know the basics of the arguments.

The person to whom you were replying was talking about the danger of 'judgemental Christians' - not all Christians. I can cite plenty of examples of such people (members of the Westboro Baptist Church for one) who are deeply unpleasant and cause great harm to the people they choose to oppose.

Turning to your point about society - actually the facts contradict the claim you are making. In the US, the proportion of atheists in prison is lower than in the population at large - and so that would hardly indicate that non-believers are more likely to do harm. Similar findings have been found in other countries who have carried out the same sort of research. Religion has been at the root of many, many conflicts over the centuries and is still being used to justify abhorrent behaviour all round the world today.

Now I don't believe that whichever member of Rough Copy who shouted out in the way he did is on a par with Fred Phelps - but he was still wrong to bring his faith into the show in the way he did. It was inappropriate.

A theological discussion on the Xfactor forum, who'd have thought it! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It made me cringe but I don't see why he shouldn't have said it.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,442
    Forum Member
    God's a Strictly fan
  • Options
    Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think the comment was a big deal, but it made me wish that Konnie Huq was still presenting xtra factor. She would've had something to say about it for sure :-)
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    If the X factor was a company it would have gone bankrupt tonight.

4 contestants with no prospective careers.
    2 awful singoff performances.

Then it cap it all we get the treat? of a supposed success story, Leona Lewis, with a truly dreadful Christmas Song, doing a dead career performance.

And then Michael Buble doing a 'Stars In Their Eyes' impersonation of Frank Sinatra.

The show is now officially insolvent!!!

I'm inclined to agree. Is this show really doing pop music any favours any more?

If it were not for the success of 1D, would it have any relevance, any more?

I felt a sense of tiredness as Dermot talked about next year's show.
    cctps wrote: »
    Christians with their unwarranted sense of superiority yet again. I wish I was alive a few generations in the future when religion is completely irrelevant. Statistics show Christianity will be pretty much gone in 200 years. Where will your God be then? What excuse will you give then for loving everyone whilst condemning large portions of society. UGH

Talking about God and Christianity on DS, brilliant!

Religion and art often had a fraught relationship. Some Christians and Muslims think of pop music as satanic and would ban it if they could. Clearly that doesn't apply to all adherents of those religions but there is clearly a tension for some.

I like musicians who mix their art and spirituality, you might say the aesthetic with the ascetic!
    I like U2 and Van Morrison who do just that ('I Still Haven't Found What I'm looking', for example and a song which has featured on XF). And so much pop music has its roots in Gospel and Blues.

After all the word music derives from the Greek for the 'art of the Muses' who were the Goddesses of the Arts of their time. I think a musician who really gets into their music is approaching a state close to a religious experience. I wouldn't say that happened exactly to Luke on Sunday night but he did fall to his knees as he got into the music. There are clear similarities.

On the other hand shouting out 'Make some noise if you believe in God' isn't quite the same. It actually seemed bit bizarre.

I genuinely believe there is a relationship between great art and the religious and spiritual side of man. I don't think that happens too often on the XF but it does at U2 and Van gigs from time to time.
    It's the feeling that you are plugged into something bigger than yourself, you are part of the big cycle of life.

In other words religion and music are not polar opposites as some people seem to think. And I think even atheists understand the spiritual side of our nature.
  • Options
    Kwazykat61Kwazykat61 Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    si29uk wrote: »
    It was inappropriate in so many ways - and should generate complaints.

Faith is for the private sphere only - and should not have any outing in mainstream media.

I very much doubt that people would have been so willing to accept it if he had said 'If you believe in Allah'...

Why is is inappropriate ! We ARE a christian country
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeuchh , It was a cringe moment. He needs to get to his church and yell that there. Xfactor is so not the place. Wrong on quite a few levels. Aanyway if there was a god he'd be well away from Xfactor. Mozart would be more his sort of stuff. Or angels singing requiems and stuff.
  • Options
    achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By God, he meant Simon Cowell. Kiss ass.
  • Options
    mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    achro wrote: »
    By God, he meant Simon Cowell. Kiss ass.

well there are more than one God depending on what you believe in. :D
    Seriuosly though,its his choice and its a free world. Whatever floats your boat. :)
  • Options
    si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kwazykat61 wrote: »
    Why is is inappropriate ! We ARE a christian country

Says who?

The recent research indicates quite clearly that the majority of UK citizens identify as having NO religious affiliation. And that majority is rising.

If you look at the figures for church attendance - that has fallen from 11% in 1980 to 6% today. The trend indicates that this will fall further to 4% by 2020.

It is true that the Church of England has a very special place within our constitution - but that does not make us a Christian nation. It is merely a hangover from a different time that has yet to be addressed.

But even within Christianity there are many different sects, many different opinions - which of those is the 'correct one'?

If people want to believe in a god, they are free to do so. But they do not also have the right to push that belief system on others.
  • Options
    researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine God wishes she'd never heard of Rough Copy.
  • Options
    GetridofcoleGetridofcole Posts: 1,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amaretto2 wrote: »
    Definitely in the top 3 most cringeworthy X Factor moments- finishing just behind Beverley's gravedigging VT and Louis' "But the poor guy is blind Simon" defence of 2 to Go.

Lol they were good but from a lame perspective nothing beats burke's ok.com . I cringe just thinking about how lame that was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I imagine God wishes she'd never heard of Rough Copy.

She???
  • Options
    researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    She???
    And why not?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭