Options

Is anyone here a believer in the Paranormal?

Comments

• Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    Why does there have to be a point?

Exactly. People always ask what is the point of life. The crushing reality it that there isn't one!
  • Options
    PoppysocksPoppysocks Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Why does there have to be a point?

Well I don't suppose there has to be, I just think that it would be a waste if what we have learnt in this life is just wasted.
    Do you think there is a point ?
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poppysocks wrote: »
    Well I don't suppose there has to be, I just think that it would be a waste if what we have learnt in this life is just wasted.

Nothing intrinsic.
    If life has a point or meaning it is only that which we give it ourselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly. People always ask what is the point of life. The crushing reality it that there isn't one!

Like I keep saying 'how do you know?' Just as I don't know the opposite ..
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're an elaborate gene conveyor.

That's all you are.
  • Options
    WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The fact that it's a waste doesn't make it any less of a reality. I would dearly love there to be some sort of life after death (surely the vast majority of people would?), just as I would love to have magical powers, but if you let wishful thinking inform your opinions you end up with a world-view composed of all kinds of crap.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like I keep saying 'how do you know?' Just as I don't know the opposite ..

It is intellectually obvious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    You're an elaborate gene conveyor.

That's all you are.

Well I really couldn't say, but sounds good to me ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is intellectually obvious.

Really, explain intellectually why, in more than one sentence !
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough. I agree that's not a nice tactic - whichever side is using it.

Open minded does not include believing things exist which we don't know to be true either. You can be open to the possibility of said things existing but as soon as you actually believe they do you are no longer open minded on the subject. And surely if you're truly open minded you should be approaching a subject with a neutral perspective rather than a positive one?

You misquoted me, but I can tell you were bothered by my comment, as you mentioned it twice now.

Don't you know that believers are protected by the Endangered Species Act? :)

Seriously, I would not want to offend you and I don't imagine you as a shallow person. I did believe what I said, though, in that real spiritual experiences (not hokey ones) have enriched me and I think life would have a void without them.

I don't see open-minded and neutral as synonyms. I see open-minded and positive as synonyms. When an infant explores the world, he (or she) is positive and open, not holding back, not waiting for some authority to measure the right response.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    You misquoted me, but I can tell you were bothered by my comment, as you mentioned it twice now.

Don't you know that believers are protected by the Endangered Species Act? :)

Seriously, I would not want to offend you and I don't imagine you as a shallow person. I did believe what I said, though, in that real spiritual experiences (not hokey ones) have enriched me and I think life would have a void without them.

I don't see open-minded and neutral as synonyms. I see open-minded and positive as synonyms. When an infant explores the world, he (or she) is positive and open, not holding back, not waiting for some authority to measure the right response.

If I have misquoted you I'm sorry but I've had a look back and I'm not sure where I have done so :confused: Anyway, I am not offended. I just didn't agree. I accept that your life may have had a void without your spiritual experiences but everyone is different. What one person needs to feel fulfilled isn't necessarily the same as the next person.

The difference between the infant and believers in the paranormal who claim to be open minded is that the infant is starting off with no pre-conceived ideas about what they are hoping to discover.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I have misquoted you I'm sorry but I've had a look back and I'm not sure where I have done so :confused: Anyway, I am not offended. I just didn't agree. I accept that your life may have had a void without your spiritual experiences but everyone is different. What one person needs to feel fulfilled isn't necessarily the same as the next person.

The difference between the infant and believers in the paranormal who claim to be open minded is that the infant is starting off with no pre-conceived ideas about what they are hoping to discover.

I didn't say, people who don't accept things with no evidence, but people who cling to the material world, somewhat different. But moving right along...:)

In general though, infants take delight in the world and are mostly positive, and they definitely accept their direct experience as proof.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    My uncles brother was staying in a caravan :confused: and apparently woke up during the night to see something standing up the corner with long black hair and black eyes just staring at him. Needless to say this shat me up for ages. :eek: Spooked out just writing about it. :(:cry:
    The answer is obvious.As in all cases these stories started with "in bed". He was in bed and asleep, dreaming.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    I didn't say, people who don't accept things with no evidence, but people who cling to the material world, somewhat different. But moving right along...:)

You can move along; I plan to cling to this material world as long as possible; I love it. :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    You can move along; I plan to cling to this material world as long as possible; I love it. :p:D

I'll send a bottle of wine of over. :)
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    So based on a smell that no one else could detect it must have been a ghost? That is a huge leap in 'logic'!

Don't twist my words please, I didn't say it was a ghost. And why are you even posting in this thread if you don't believe?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    I'll send a bottle of wine of over. :)

A glass or three of zinfandel is always welcome. :)
  • Options
    little legslittle legs Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Fiorina161 wrote: »
    I am a massive believer, and have had a few experiences myself which have caused me to believe, but I want to know if you believe, and if you do, why?

anyone got any stories?
    maybe ghosts?
    aliens?
    anything!
    :D

Hi

Im a massive Believer, i have had to much experience to not believe but Ive got too way many experiences to write about!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wsmansem wrote: »
    There is a bank account in the USA which contains One million dollars fir the first person to prove scientifically ANY instance of paranoia , ghosts , aliens , mind reading , life after death - reincarnation etc etc .

It's been waiting about 25 years for just ONE SINGLE instance if anything paranormal .

Are you on about Randi the Sceptic who has put up the Money? If a Ghost stood in front of that idiot he would still deny it was there!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you on about Randi the Sceptic who has put up the Money? If a Ghost stood in front of that idiot he would still deny it was there!

If something was real it would be impossible for him to get away with refuting it, since the money has never been claimed kind of says it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you research all about Randi you will read that he has Clauses involved in proving an afterlife and to claim the Prize which are pathetic!

I know of One Brilliant Medium who is Fantastic and was approached by Living TV after she done one of her excellent Demonstrations, they were so Blew away with her that they wanted to discuss a TV Deal with her but she declined because all her work is for Charity, she is a Very Close friend of mine and wouldn't touch The great Randi with a bargepole...

Saying that, I have also been read by some Useless Mediums that talk a load of Crap, they are the ones that give the Good ones a bad name.

When I seen my Deceased Mother sitting on my bed I am pleased my son also seen her at the same time otherwise he would have thought I imagined it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you research all about Randi you will read that he has Clauses involved in proving an afterlife and to claim the Prize which are pathetic!

I know of One Brilliant Medium who is Fantastic and was approached by Living TV after she done one of her excellent Demonstrations, they were so Blew away with her that they wanted to discuss a TV Deal with her but she declined because all her work is for Charity, she is a Very Close friend of mine and wouldn't touch The great Randi with a bargepole...

Saying that, I have also been read by some Useless Mediums that talk a load of Crap, they are the ones that give the Good ones a bad name.

When I seen my Deceased Mother sitting on my bed I am pleased my son also seen her at the same time otherwise he would have thought I imagined it.

She wouldn't touch it because she can't prove her claims simple as that and being approached by living is no great boast all the crap that channel shows is almost proof positive in itself what a bunch of charlatans these people are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry don't have time to read this whole thread, much as I'd like to, as I've always been interested in the paranormal -

but to the answer the question, yes, and I've had personal experiences of it.
  • Options
    India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had many experiences I can't explain scientifically...even from when I was a child.
    Won't go into details here, as it's ammunition for all.
    BUT, I have been diagnosed biploar so I often wonder if it's just because my brain doesn't work properly and I've had the experiences because of this. Or am I bipolar because of the experiences? ;)

Whatever the answer...it all seemed very real at the time and without explanation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    India_Rain wrote: »
    Had many experiences I can't explain scientifically...even from when I was a child.
    Won't go into details here, as it's ammunition for all.
    BUT, I have been diagnosed biploar so I often wonder if it's just because my brain doesn't work properly and I've had the experiences because of this. Or am I bipolar because of the experiences? ;)

Whatever the answer...it all seemed very real at the time and without explanation.

I won't 'ammunise' you honest !! I love hearing other people's experiences ....
    If it's real for you then so be it, people are so cynical ..