Options

I still stand by what i said last year; Kim Medcalf is the better Sam!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course Kim Medcalf was the better actor, when you're comparing to Daniella Westbrook, that's pretty much a given.

I never wanted Westbrook back on the show, because I'd accepted Medcalf as Sam despite the obvious differences between the two actors and their portrayals. But in a way, perhaps Sam Mitchell should never have been recast in the first place, hence Westbrook's return would've have seemed so jarring.

The fact that Daniella is a dismal performer doesn't help. But Daniella's Sam just seems so different from Kim's Sam; Medcalf's might as well have been a different character. In fact, she should've been: like a distant Mitchell cousin similar to Billy, Ronnie or Roxy.
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    Sam was in and out like this all through the 90s. Its far more realistic to have family members pop up every now and again. EE is the only soap that does this. The others should follow suit.:)
    I'm loving the fact Blossom and Alan Jackson are returning.

Realistic maybe, but I find it tedious. Most of her returns are pointless.

The one you've spoilered is different. There's a very legitimate reason for that and it's not like it's going to happen again and again.
  • Options
    Charlie ChuckCharlie Chuck Posts: 2,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kim is very pretty, but gave a very dull performance as Samantha Mitchell. Daniella plays Samantha Mitchell as the role was written, she gives a very exciting performance and her looks are within the role, lets be honest here Kim playing Sam would never even look at Ricky Butcher, she should be strutting a catwalk and not the streets of Walford.

Daniella was a lovely looking girl, after nearly burning her nose off with cocoaine it totally changed her look. She suffered since that day in her love life and professional life. She sorted herself out and deserves her come-back as the original Samantha Mitchell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not like in the cases of Susan Barlow (Corrie) and Billie Jackson (Enders) where the original actors could come back into the roles as adults because they previously appeared as children and looked a lot different.

Westbrook's tabloid-baiting antics meant that she was always in the public eye throughout her Enders sabbatical. And Medcalf's big storylines such as her involvement in Den Watt's death were too fresh in viewers minds before the decision was made to rehire Westbrook.

In other words, Enders should never have bothered recasting Sam in the first place. Either that, or they should've waited a few years for Medcalf to become available. As let's be honest, Daniella Westbrook isn't worth wasting a BBC salary on; why she keeps returning is beyond my comprehension.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSB1980 wrote: »
    It's not like in the cases of Susan Barlow (Corrie) and Billie Jackson (Enders) where the original actors could come back into the roles as adults because they previously appeared as children and looked a lot different.

Westbrook's tabloid-baiting antics meant that she was always in the public eye throughout her Enders sabbatical. And Medcalf's big storylines such as her involvement in Den Watt's death were too fresh in viewers minds before the decision was made to rehire Westbrook.

In other words, Enders should never have bothered recasting Sam in the first place. Either that, or they should've waited a few years for Medcalf to become available. As let's be honest, Daniella Westbrook isn't worth wasting a BBC salary on; why she keeps returning is beyond my comprehension.

I slightly agree but also disagree in some parts.

Kim made Sam a likeable character, I don't think Samantha Mitchell is supposed to be likeable but more annoying and an irritant and why Daniella suits the role better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    iluvdannii wrote: »
    i'm not talking about being a celebrity i'm talking about the character made more of an impact, not who's more famous???!

EE is a brand. Impact is measured by numerous things. Like it or not, Kim is so far off the radar she doesnt even register
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE is a brand. Impact is measured by numerous things. Like it or not, Kim is so far off the raydar she doesnt even register

Kim is a good actress but I feel she moved the role of Sam in a different direction to what was originally cast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samantha Mitchell - dim, but street-wise. Always dependant on her brothers to get her out of the trouble she causes.

Daniella did that as Sam.

Kim turned Sam into a smart business women with moments of wisdom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kim is a good actress but I feel she moved the role of Sam in a different direction to what was originally cast.

absolutely. She changed her character beyond recognition. she wasnt a Mitchell at all. And Kim has the unfortunate luck of being in the show at its most panned time. Better best forgotten (to quote steps).
  • Options
    iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samantha Mitchell - dim, but street-wise. Always dependant on her brothers to get her out of the trouble she causes.

but if she came in as a clone of the old sam then people would not have accepted her but by her coming in and taking sam in a new direction which wasn't all her doing cause dnt forget she does have a script that's written for her people accepted her because she wasn't trying to be daniella, she was trying to bring a new depth to the character which is what EE wanted at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. I think we have to bear in mind that Medcalf was brought into the show during a really poor quality period of EastEnders- I can't remember if it was the terrible Louise Berridge or someone else who was running the show into the ground.

Because they mucked about with the Sam character so much and made her completely different to Daniella's version, it's now even more jarring to see the first version again. Whoever was in charge of EE at the time of Kim's casting obviously was desperate for anyone with the name of Samantha Mitchell to be a focal figure on the programme, but just couldn't be arsed to either cast someone or write the character to at least vaguely resemble the dim-witted chavette that Westbrook originally portrayed.
  • Options
    *Elle*90*Elle*90 Posts: 3,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I accept that Danniella as Sam is the original and how she was perhaps 'meant' to be played. I don't think it honestly matters either way how Sam was in the 90's though. If they wanted to take the character of Sam in a different direction, that was their choice. That happens a lot of the time with characters. The role of Mark Fowler when he was re cast and brought back they had him be the 'new grown up' Mark who was very different from the 80's Mark. That is pretty much what they did with the role of Sam under Kim Medcalf. She wasn't like 90's Sam, she was like a grown up, evolved version. There's nothing wrong with that.

The problems comes in when they wanted to bring Danniella back, conistency goes out of the window. They probably should never have re casted Sam in the first place if they were only going to bring Danniella back - of course they didn't know that at the time. It's like Kim's version was a totally different character, I do not connect Danniella's storylines with KIm's and I don't even try to. I basically just don't accept she had anything to do with Den's murder because I can't see any of it. Basically Kim's version should be forgotten as that's pretty the only option now.
  • Options
    tfox6tfox6 Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Well, all I know is, Danni played her originally, Kim was brought in for a couple of years because Danni was ill, and when Danni got better, Kim was gone. She wasnt even asked back. Why? Because she was merely a stand-in.

You think Kim made more of an impact? Are you kidding me? Were you around when Danni was in it originally? She was a teen pin-up. She got huge exposure. EE was huge back then, getting over 20 million an episode, and its teens were almost given postar staus by the media.

If Kim was only a stand-in, why did she have a regular contract while DW is only appearing as a short-term guest even though she's now healthy again ?
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am too young to remember Daniella as sam before.

The thing is, Kim as Sam was slightly classy, she could look after herself, she was less of a ****. And she had ambitions

Now Sam is just thick, nasty and cheap, with no ambition, and no confidence. She can't even change her own kid's nappy and keeps trying to get other people to look after him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am too young to remember Daniella as sam before.

The thing is, Kim as Sam was slightly classy, she could look after herself, she was less of a ****. And she had ambitions

Now Sam is just thick, nasty and cheap, with no ambition, and no confidence. She can't even change her own kid's nappy and keeps trying to get other people to look after him.

Which is the original Sam. She was meant to be a waste of time, she was always being supported by her brothers and of course her powerful mother, Peggy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tfox6 wrote: »
    If Kim was only a stand-in, why did she have a regular contract while DW is only appearing as a short-term guest even though she's now healthy again ?

Because Kim has always been healthy, and wasnt even asked back for these brief stints. The programme-makers just didnt want her and she would never have been asked to play the role if it weren't for Danni's illness because Danni owned the role and still does. Kim was a stand in because ultimately, she is 2nd choice. Always has been, always will be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which is the original Sam. She was meant to be a waste of time, she was always being supported by her brothers and of course her powerful mother, Peggy.

Absolutely. Sam as Danni = the way Sam was scripted all those years ago. Who ever heard of a classy Mitchell anyway?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Kim has always been healthy, and wasnt even asked back for these brief stints. The programme-makers just didnt want her and she would never have been asked to play the role if it weren't for Danni's illness because Danni owned the role and still does. Kim was a stand in because ultimately, she is 2nd choice. Always has been, always will be.

I think the people who like Kim's version really do forget or don't know what the character of Samantha Mitchell is all about. She's not a worthy person, she's sly and a menace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the people who like Kim's version really do forget or don't know what the character of Samantha Mitchell is all about. She's not a worthy person, she's sly and a menace.

Exactly. It's odd for long-term viewers (who actually saw the character when she first appeared) when others come along and say she isnt being played appropriately now. Well, that's EXACTLY how many long-term viewers felt when Kim came in and took over the role and changed Sam beyond recognition. Ironic eh, now they know how it feels. .
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suppose but I don't remember that Sam, It was so long ago. Anyway I can't really compare. But I don't like Sam, Daniella is a bad actress, although she is improving slightly. And I don't find her as bad as she was when she first arrived back. Her scenes before she was about to give her son away were believable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose but I don't remember that Sam, It was so long ago. Anyway I can't really compare. But I don't like Sam, Daniella is a bad actress, although she is improving slightly. And I don't find her as bad as she was when she first arrived back. Her scenes before she was about to give her son away were believable.

Her tormenting Bianca over the father of her baby is the true Sam Mitchell, she's meant to be dislikeable.

Janine Butcher is a calculating murderess and is the 'baddy' of the show. Sam Mitchell is pathetic and desparate and sucks anything she can.

She's supposed to be that way.
  • Options
    Richieboy87Richieboy87 Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know the old Sam back in the early 90s and When Kim took over the role as Sam I loved her straight away (ok she was a pushover but she was a good actress) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Her tormenting Bianca over the father of her baby is the true Sam Mitchell, she's meant to be dislikeable.

Janine Butcher is a calculating murderess and is the 'baddy' of the show. Sam Mitchell is pathetic and desparate and sucks anything she can.

She's supposed to be that way.

Yeah.... if people dont like Danni's version of Sam, well, that's absolutely fine, but that means you don't actually like the character of Sam Mitchell, because what Kim was portraying was never Sam Mitchell. I dont know who that imposter was. :D
  • Options
    silver mistresssilver mistress Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Ki was undoubtebly the better actress..no one here I can see has disagreed with that, at least. Kims version was a more subtle, nuanced performance...you werent sure if she really fancied Minty or was playing him along; the same with Ricky. The current Sam is too "in your face obvious" , we know her intentions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ki was undoubtebly the better actress..no one here I can see has disagreed with that, at least. Kims version was a more subtle, nuanced performance...you werent sure if she really fancied Minty or was playing him along; the same with Ricky. The current Sam is too "in your face obvious" , we know her intentions.

Kim's version of Samantha Mitchell is more like Samantha Womack's Ronnie Mitchell, a great character and played well, but not Samantha Mitchell.