Options

I still stand by what i said last year; Kim Medcalf is the better Sam!

Comments

• Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,293
    Forum Member
    I agree Kim was better, but Daniella played her first.
  • Options
    ListedBuzzListedBuzz Posts: 9,042
    Forum Member
    Wasnt Kim pregnant at the time Santer wanted Sam back? I agree with the other posters..Daniellas Sam I just cant see being married to that Andy Hunter back then.

If you go by what TPTB said, she wasn't even asked. They wanted Danniella not Kim.
  • Options
    flbkabflbkab Posts: 8,807
    Forum Member
    I like Danniella and Kim but after watching recent episodes and old episodes back I prefer Kim. Not disrespect to Danniella but Kim is the better actress I think. I grew up watching Kim as Sam so that might have something to do with how I prefer her.
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daniella Is the Sam Mitchell from the 80's so in that respect, she is being true to her roots, history and characterisation as we know it.

However Kim Medcalf is the far superior actress and although her version of Sam wasn't likable either, she was engaging to watch and that was down to her perfomance.

IMO Daniella is a very poor actress, the poorest out the cast. Her emotional scenes are a complete turn of IMO.
  • Options
    flbkabflbkab Posts: 8,807
    Forum Member
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    Daniella Is the Sam Mitchell from the 80's so in that respect, she is being true to her roots, history and characterisation as we know it.

However Kim Medcalf is the far superior actress and although her version of Sam wasn't likable either, she was engaging to watch and that was down to her perfomance.

IMO Daniella is a very poor actress, the poorest out the cast. Her emotional scenes are a complete turn of IMO.

Do you mean 90s? :)
  • Options
    iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    too me Kim Medcalf is sam mitchell because i grew up watching her but also i stand by her even more now after eastenders decided they wanted a few headlines so they thought they would bring back dani, The character is messed up and i dnt know who sam is anymore she has 2 personalities and i would have preferred it if they brought back a whole new actress too play sam as they would have watched both sams and morphed them into one character. Also i like dani but as an actress she stinks not because she's bad at acting but too not do research on a character when it was played by someone else before you is pathetic, fair enough she said ee wanted the old type sam back but you still see what the character did at the time and the old actresses style so that you as the current actress can bring some continuity too the role and if she really cared about the character she should have watched kim in the role and morphed the two sams into one but she's an average actress who can only play one type of character.

BRING BACK KIM - the more interesting sam!!!!
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flbkab wrote: »
    Do you mean 90s? :)

Yes. My mistake :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    Pop_Art wrote: »
    Could you really? hmmmm well regardless of who had played Sam the material would have been exactly the same so don't suppose anything would have been different.

The cast wanted Danniella back. It was Patsy Palmer who begged them to make it happen. John Yorke liked the idea and ran with it. John was the one who recast the role and gave it to Kim in the first place. So if he wanted Danniella back over Kim that also tells a story and a half.

Where did you get that idea from?

PP doesn't = cast. And quite frankly, bosses shouldn't respond to "begging" by cast members. Whilst Yorke is all over the place these days. The sooner he leaves EE alone the better.
  • Options
    ListedBuzzListedBuzz Posts: 9,042
    Forum Member
    Filiman wrote: »
    Where did you get that idea from?

PP doesn't = cast. And quite frankly, bosses shouldn't respond to "begging" by cast members. Whilst Yorke is all over the place these days. The sooner he leaves EE alone the better.

Why should he leave alone HIS show?
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found Kim quite irritating.
  • Options
    TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP Kim was better and she made the character for 'Sam' much better than Daniella ever did.
  • Options
    incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobis wrote: »
    I like Kim and I like Daniella,

http://consultingblogs.emc.com/blogs/simonmunro/harryhill_fight_thumb_4623381D.jpg

FWIW, I don't like Danniella's Sam at all. I don't care if she is the original, if they were that bothered about keeping the original they wouldn't have brought back the character in a recast in the first place. Kim made Sam a much more complex character, and very different. She was much more watchable, probably because she did more than just gurn and scowl.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rianetlc20 wrote: »
    Get Over It For God Sakes Kim Aint Coming Anyhow Dannielle Originally Played Her So Has Every Right 2 Continue Playing Her!!!!!!!!

Kim was way better and put the character on the EE map. DW would not have been able to carry the part that the character was involved in the mid 00s.

Kim is the better actress. DW is better at some other things....;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    incy wincy wrote: »
    http://consultingblogs.emc.com/blogs/simonmunro/harryhill_fight_thumb_4623381D.jpg

FWIW, I don't like Danniella's Sam at all. I don't care if she is the original, if they were that bothered about keeping the original they wouldn't have brought back the character in a recast in the first place. Kim made Sam a much more complex character, and very different. She was much more watchable, probably because she did more than just gurn and scowl.

Exactly but i love the fact that Kim played sams biggest ever storyline which eastenders can't take away from her in less they give dani a high profile gritty storyline that is more high profile than the den storyline which i doubt!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Kim was awful. Thank you Santer for righting the awful decision to recast Sam; Daniella owns the role.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iluvdannii wrote: »
    Exactly but i love the fact that Kim played sams biggest ever storyline which eastenders can't take away from her in less they give dani a high profile gritty storyline that is more high profile than the den storyline which i doubt!!!!!!!

Yeah, apart from the fact that barely anyone was watching EE at that point in time. Wasnt Hollyoaks even getting more viewers at that stage.

Kim was merely a stand-in as it turned out. Thankfully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, apart from the fact that barely anyone was watching EE at that point in time. Wasnt Hollyoaks even getting more viewers at that stage.

Kim was merely a stand-in as it turned out. Thankfully.

i find it hilarious when people say she was just a stand in when in actual fact her sam made more of an impact on the square than dani's. if she was just a stand in then she wouldn't of got high profile storylines like she did they would have just made her be there to remind viewers sam still exists. kim even won an NTA award for her portrayal of sam. can't say the same for dani.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iluvdannii wrote: »
    i find it hilarious when people say she was just a stand in when in actual fact her sam made more of an impact on the square than dani's. if she was just a stand in then she wouldn't of got high profile storylines like she did they would have just made her be there to remind viewers sam still exists. kim even won an NTA award for her portrayal of sam. can't say the same for dani.

Really? Well, all I know is, Danni played her originally, Kim was brought in for a couple of years because Danni was ill, and when Danni got better, Kim was gone. She wasnt even asked back. Why? Because she was merely a stand-in.

You think Kim made more of an impact? Are you kidding me? Were you around when Danni was in it originally? She was a teen pin-up. She got huge exposure. EE was huge back then, getting over 20 million an episode, and its teens were almost given postar staus by the media.
  • Options
    Pop_ArtPop_Art Posts: 5,116
    Forum Member
    Really? Well, all I know is, Danni played her originally, Kim was brought in for a couple of years because Danni was ill, and when Danni got better, Kim was gone. She wasnt even asked back. Why? Because she was merely a stand-in.

You think Kim made more of an impact? Are you kidding me? Were you around when Danni was in it originally? She was a teen pin-up. She got huge exposure. EE was huge back then, getting over 20 million an episode, and its teens were almost given postar staus by the media.

I have to agree. Danniella was the tabloyds golden girl in the early and mid 90s. Sort of what Cheryl Cole is now. That's no lie but then EE was a much bigger show back then with far more viewers and it was a bigger deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pop_Art wrote: »
    I have to agree. Danniella was the tabloyds golden girl in the early and mid 90s. Sort of what Cheryl Cole is now. That's no lie but then EE was a much bigger show back then with far more viewers and it was a bigger deal.

Yep, all the teens got huge exposure. Sid Owen, Michelle Gayle, Nicola Stapleton, Sophie Lawrence, Sean Maguire, which is why so many of them got solo artist recording contracts. But by far the biggest media darling was Danni. The red tops loved her. She had posters and the like and was front cover on numerous magazines and not just the soap/TV ones. Kim, not so much. Although I do recall seeing her on the front of TV weekly at one time.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i'm not talking about being a celebrity i'm talking about the character made more of an impact, not who's more famous???!
  • Options
    daz_fdaz_f Posts: 6,642
    Forum Member
    Kim is the better actress that with a doubt and IMO also alot more likeable Daniella just seems sour faced
  • Options
    friendlyguy2friendlyguy2 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it hard to imagine Kim Medcalf kissing Minty the way Sam did last night with as much conviction.
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    I don't care who is playing her, I still don't understand why they're bringing her back again and again for short stints. EIther keep her in or leave her out...these big returns every few months are getting tiresome.
  • Options
    GenieInABottle.GenieInABottle. Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care who is playing her, I still don't understand why they're bringing her back again and again for short stints. EIther keep her in or leave her out...these big returns every few months are getting tiresome.

Sam was in and out like this all through the 90s. Its far more realistic to have family members pop up every now and again. EE is the only soap that does this. The others should follow suit.:)
    I'm loving the fact Blossom and Alan Jackson are returning.