Options

Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    clayton_stclayton_st Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    Quinn : Some teams in the Championship will end up in mid-table mediocrity.

There's a good chance he might be right on that one.

I remember, a while back, when Quinn said "there's not that many teams can get in the top six y'know". Yes Quinny, there's only six teams can get in the top six.
    Who said this guy wasn't on top of it? He's obviously a top,top man.
  • Options
    FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin Murray: "What's went wrong for you?" You make my ears bleed sometimes Colin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay Goughie's back! - Said no-one...
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    Yay Goughie's back! - Said no-one...

He's done well for himself, must be on a good whack. A cricketer with terrible grammar chatting away for hours about football.

The whole channel seems as if is flogging a dead horse - but even more so with him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    He's done well for himself, must be on a good whack. A cricketer with terrible grammar chatting away for hours about football.

The whole channel seems as if is flogging a dead horse - but even more so with him.

A page dedicated to TalkSport. Please share. :cry:

http://uttercuntz.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A page dedicated to TalkSport. Please share. :cry:

http://uttercuntz.tumblr.com

Some good funny stuff on there thanks for sharing. :D:D
  • Options
    HANDJFANHANDJFAN Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Alan Brazil, football writer now since banned on talkSPORT Rob Shepherd and ex breakfast show presenter Ronnie Irani discussing cricketer Michael Yardley's depression and just wondered if anybody wanted to hear it again.

Ronnie comes out of it very well I have to say, sympathetic and understanding, sadly the two dinosaurs alongside him have little compassion as will be remembered by many.

http://bit.ly/1yUAZEW
    Honestly, the depth of human stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you have to question why a national radio station is getting someone on, who seriously offers the argument that swimming pools are closing down therefore it's not possible for a cricketer to suffer from clinical depression. Surprisingly, I note that the TS breakfast show didn't invite any form of psychiatrist, psychologist, counsellor or medical practitioner on to discuss this issue.

Probably not many people will agree with me here, and I have read the many absolutely justified criticisms of him. But I feel a little bit sorry for Irani. I don't think he's a bad guy, and ultimately he just found himself in a position where he was out of his depth. It's not that easy to make a living in this world, and there probably aren't that many options open to him; of course when he was offered the breakfast show job he was going to take it, not say "actually, I don't know enough about sport, and I'm not smart enough to do this". I don't really envy anyone who is basically a decent person having to share a studio with that odious bully every day, no matter what they were getting paid.

BTW is this Rob Shepherd who was famously made fun of by Graham Taylor, or a different Rob Shepherd?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HANDJFAN wrote: »
    Honestly, the depth of human stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you have to question why a national radio station is getting someone on, who seriously offers the argument that swimming pools are closing down therefore it's not possible for a cricketer to suffer from clinical depression. Surprisingly, I note that the TS breakfast show didn't invite any form of psychiatrist, psychologist, counsellor or medical practitioner on to discuss this issue.

Probably not many people will agree with me here, and I have read the many absolutely justified criticisms of him. But I feel a little bit sorry for Irani. I don't think he's a bad guy, and ultimately he just found himself in a position where he was out of his depth. It's not that easy to make a living in this world, and there probably aren't that many options open to him; of course when he was offered the breakfast show job he was going to take it, not say "actually, I don't know enough about sport, and I'm not smart enough to do this". I don't really envy anyone who is basically a decent person having to share a studio with that odious bully every day, no matter what they were getting paid.

BTW is this Rob Shepherd who was famously made fun of by Graham Taylor, or a different Rob Shepherd?

I don't think I ever thought Ronnie was a really a bad person HandJ he just annoyed the hell out of me at times and I never like ex cricketers lecturing me on football and acting like they're experts on it. To be honest I was a bit gobsmacked when they sacked him, I can't lie i WAS glad but when you think they've got people like Mick Quinn, Alan Brazil, Matt Forde, Darren Gough and that other fool on Drivetime Durham surviving there like they are it's still surprises me he was outed.

It all seemed to happen so suddenly as well, he hadn't been in any trouble there as far as we know, he'd certainly not breached any ofcom regulations like Mister Gaunt, Whale or Boyd so what exactly had he done to deserve a such a summary sacking I merely ask I do not mourn?.

I think it must have been simply someone in charge at the station with the initials LF didn't rate him or like him so got rid, as I say I still back the decision BUT I think I have to say if I'd known they were planning on bringing in Dominic Cork as one of his replacements on the merry-go-round of musical chairs they're now playing with the breakfast co-presenter job I think I' would have written to them begging for Irani to be left where he is because Cork is Irani on a really really really really really bad Irani day.

Cork also of course does all Irani's past cricket spots whenever there's a test on so it's not as it we just have to suffer him on Wednesdays. :(

Regarding the Rob Shepherd query sorry I can't help.

Two part compilation of Ronnie Irani blunders!!!.
    http://youtu.be/qa45ECZss1E
    http://youtu.be/Wc2IQRQ37Vg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    The "Don't say Premiership" thing on the Sports Bar is the most unfunny thing on radio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "Don't say Premiership" thing on the Sports Bar is the most unfunny thing on radio.

The worst thing about that is they only do it to regular listeners who call and completely bottle it when a special guest says it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember the on-air fall out with SaggyBaggy over jockeys whipping horses?, this was the one.
    http://youtu.be/YCihAg8CzQg
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 202,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember the on-air fall out with SaggyBaggy over jockeys whipping horses?, this was the one.
    http://youtu.be/YCihAg8CzQg

:confused::confused::confused:

not a word about the new show, on friday night/sat morning

with the 2 mikes .......... ?? I Am Staggered, up yer game fella !! :p
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Reg_Palace wrote: »
    The odious baffoon Brazil will never be booted from TS. I've complained to Alice Furse before about Brazil's freeloading and drunken state, and her reply was that was the audience loves about the show. Bloody madness

That's like saying the best thing about food poisoning is the sh1tting 50 times an hour :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused::confused::confused:

not a word about the new show, on friday night/sat morning

with the 2 mikes .......... ?? I Am Staggered, up yer game fella !! :p

To speak frankly I'm a bit disappointed in you too Sleeper old china you hardly ever pop in here any more and when you do it's just to moan at me or someone else when the rest of us at least talk about the station.

I appreciate just lately your hero has been taking a bashing and you won't have felt much like joining in but you've been like this for longer than Brazil's current issues why can't we have the old Sleeper back you used to be a lot more interesting and amusing.

However you raise a point I'd like to further mention, I know they've made one of these Two Mikes shows some weeks back but has there been another yet?, when does it start being regular?. I am not always in the loop with the latest scheduling as I have said many times I only listen to the bits I like (or part-listen to the bits I semi like to get the clips I want off) if they have said when it starts I must have forgotten.

Regards,
    Billy. ;-)

PS..
    The big vote is coming up on yer fast I hope you make the right decision when you plant your big X on the paper. ;-)
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To speak frankly I'm a bit disappointed in you too Sleeper old china you hardly ever pop in here any more and when you do it's just to moan at me or someone else when the rest of us at least talk about the station.

Regards,
    Billy. ;-)

PS..
    The big vote is coming up on yer fast I hope you make the right decision when you plant your big X on the paper. ;-)

Oh I don't know Billy, I rather enjoy being insulted by Sleeps.. as Joan Collins once said "for every insult slung at me I can throw at least three back .... ";-)

Meanwhile back at the ranch (pun intended) the 'horse racing expert' Dominic Cork tells us that he thinks the wonder-horse Australia is going to be better than Frankel, he's not quite sure yet though:confused: Well, upon hearing that pearl of wisdom I can now happily start my day, ready for Sleeps' riposte ...:)
  • Options
    HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Its the same bloke!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    Oh I don't know Billy, I rather enjoy being insulted by Sleeps.. as Joan Collins once said "for every insult slung at me I can throw at least three back .... ";-)

Meanwhile back at the ranch (pun intended) the 'horse racing expert' Dominic Cork tells us that he thinks the wonder-horse Australia is going to be better than Frankel, he's not quite sure yet though:confused: Well, upon hearing that pearl of wisdom I can now happily start my day, ready for Sleeps' riposte ...:)

To be honest Ven I know our sporran wearing tartan-clad friend Sleeper is a good guy but he's turning into a Scottish version of Victor Meldrew Mark2 (I'm Mark1) and I'm trying to save him that is all. :D
    Caught all-round-expert on everything Dom Cork this morning praising and telling Notts County team manager Shaun Derry, [by the way that's Notts County not to be confused with Notts Forest] - telling him "not to apologise for being passionate" after he recently flew into a touchline rage and lambasted match officials for an offside decision he thought they had got badly wrong.
    It turned out later after he'd studied the video of the game they'd been right with the decision so he phoned up the referee to apologise to him, it was a good gesture by Derry but he shouldn't have been hounding and cursing match officials in the first place during a game so I think Corky's bang out of order telling him not to apologise, personally I'd have the lot of them limited to not being allowed out of their managerial boxes or seating areas.

Signed,
    Vic Meldrew.
    [South Yorkshire version] ;-)
  • Options
    jim_lyonsjim_lyons Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daley Thompson was one of my heroes as a kid, but I have to say what an utterly terrible radio presenter/co-host he is.

I am thinking this would be a good tagline for the show - "Colin Murray - making you hate your heroes..."

oh, and will industrial equipment be needed to extracate Mr Murray from Kelly Holmes' posterior?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is everyone on Talksport this morning making out that Mario Balotelli is twice as much a liability as Luis Suarez. I don't recall Super Mario ever missing huge chunks of the season through racism or biting someone. I mean, who's worse? The bloke who racially abused someone and bit someone on three different occasions or the bloke who dressed up like Santa and handed out money to passers by.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim_lyons wrote: »
    oh, and will industrial equipment be needed to extracate Mr Murray from Kelly Holmes' posterior?

I think that equipment has long been rendered useless through overuse. hahaha Im surprised he's not still attached to Marion Bartoli!
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    The worst thing about that is they only do it to regular listeners who call and completely bottle it when a special guest says it.

I've no problem with it - England's top flight has been called the Premier League rather than the Premiership for about ten years now, you'd think people calling the station would have gotten used to its rebrand by now. If you are a regular listener to The Sports Bar and call in, you should know what to expect. I'm sure some callers just do it on purpose to annoy Andy and Jason. Although I do agree with Jim, it's a bit weak that they don't extend this policy to guests on the programme. It would be brilliant if they cut off a big name guest in mid-flow if they said Premiership.

Speaking of The Sports Bar, Dave Love's round-up last night was one of the funniest in a while, even if it went on a bit too long. I don't think Dr Dave would agree that less is more. ;-)
  • Options
    HANDJFANHANDJFAN Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I ever thought Ronnie was a really a bad person HandJ he just annoyed the hell out of me at times and I never like ex cricketers lecturing me on football and acting like they're experts on it. To be honest I was a bit gobsmacked when they sacked him, I can't lie i WAS glad but when you think they've got people like Mick Quinn, Alan Brazil, Matt Forde, Darren Gough and that other fool on Drivetime Durham surviving there like they are it's still surprises me he was outed.

It all seemed to happen so suddenly as well, he hadn't been in any trouble there as far as we know, he'd certainly not breached any ofcom regulations like Mister Gaunt, Whale or Boyd so what exactly had he done to deserve a such a summary sacking I merely ask I do not mourn?[
    I think only Ronnie Irani's mother could defend his ability to do the job, so I can absolutely understand why he annoyed you. But I would also definitely concur that the way he was axed - which I only know about due to this thread, as I don't listen to the breakfast show - was thoroughly unprofessional.

BTW I heard bits of Darren Gough commentating for BT Sport on the T20 Caribbean Premier League, and he was absolutely hopeless.
    Homesdale wrote: »
    Its the same bloke!!
    Thanks, mate, I'm glad Graham Taylor took the piss out of him then!

If anyone hasn't seen it, the clip in question begins at around 39:15 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW0ebsf7ZRs

One of the things that amused me about the clip was Brazil continually saying "if depression is an illness, I aplogise". IF depression is an illness?!
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I totally agree with everything you have written above. Ronnie was given a great career opportunity that he wasn't cut out for, I'm sure he tried his best but ultimately it was a bad move on UTV Radio management's part to give him the Breakfast Show gig in the first place and keep him in it for so long. Irani may have come across as a bit big-headed and a bit of a know-it-all at times, and he often pandered to Alan Brazil's whims too much, but I got the impression that deep down he was a nice guy and I always felt that he didn't deserve the level of flack he received when it was of personal nature rather than a professional one.

I should point out that Billy is wrong to suggest he was sacked - what happened was Liam Fisher gave him notice that his contract was not going to be renewed when it was due to expire last autumn, which prompted Irani to hand in his notice immediately, briefly hosting Howzat! before leaving the station altogether. It wouldn't surprise me if Fisher wanted to replace him on the Sports Breakfast from the off when he succeeded Moz Dee, but as Billy says Irani had done nothing to merit dismissal in terms of breaking any terms of his employment - so waiting until his contract was due to expire and giving him notice that they'd be letting him go when it did was the right way to go about things.
This discussion has been closed.