Options

Holidays; Do you go back to same hotel/ resort?

Comments

• Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    We must of been out there at the same time, 12th-27th March (:

I was there 9th to 16th March :)

I stayed at Matagorda near the airport. We'll probably go back to Playa Blanca in June.

My son and his family came from Sweden for a weeks holiday with us.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't tend to go back to the same place again. I would like to go back to the hotel we stayed at on Koh Samui though, as it was a beautiful hotel on an island paradise. There was nothing we could fault there, it was perfect.

One year we went to Langkawi, to a hotel called Casa Del Mar. It was full of cliquey elderly British people who were all quite snooty and in competition with each other over who had been back there the most times. They even had a special drinks reception for repeat guests once a week. It was a nice hotel but not fabulous enough to tempt us back year after year and the cliquey repeat guests were quite off putting.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    I've been to Lanzarote for 11 out of the last 13 years...the reason we go back so often? It suits us very nicely as it's very relaxing and peaceful.
    We went in March this year and we'll be back in June.

Also you are virtually guaranteed the sun as well.

We go back to the same place a lot as that is what my other half wants to do.
    We know the routine, get off the plane, pick up the car, go to the shops and then arrive at our destination.
    It is all very familiar and what my OH desires right now from our holidays.

I think it all depends on what you want out of a holiday.
    Some just desire to do nothing apart from lig out in the sun, eat and drink.
    Others want more than that and want to experience a new country and culture etc every time.

I wish to travel more now, so I have decided if my other half does not want to accompany me that I will go alone once a year or so somewhere else and go with him to our normal place as well.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While reading reviews on Tripadvisor I noticed a few people said it was their 3rd or 4th visit to a place.

While this would seem to be a good recommendation for a hotel / resort ( possibly ) I just don't understand why anyone would want to keep going back to the same place.
    I've had some belting holidays in the past but it's never occurred to me to go back again, rather than experience somewhere new.

Do any of you return to the same place for your hols?

I suppose it depends on what type of holiday a person wants.

You might get someone who doesnt want to trudge aorund doing sightseeing etc and just wants to lay on the beach with a good book and relax etc so for them if they find somewhere nice that they enjoy with good accommodation it make sense to go back.

For those with young kids it can be hard to find somewhere suitable that the kids enjoy and is safe and affordable so againif they find somewhere that ticks all the boxes returning to the same place makes sense.

My Mum goes to a Greek island for a couple of weeks every year and has done for the past few years, she says she is getting on a bit , she doesnt need to do lots of touristy or sightseeing things, the hotel she stays at is medium sized and very nice, the food is good, she knows the owners and also a group of them who got to know each other there all now book the same period each year so it is nice and social for her

So I can understand someone who wants to see new things wanting somewhere different every holiday but I can undertsand the logic in retruning to the same place for others.
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't do package holidays, always pay for flights and hotels separately. i like to go to different places, but there are some places I've been where I would quite happily go back again.

If people like going back to the same resort I don't see any problem with it. For all you know it could be a very posh resort, with no signs of a PG tips bag anywhere. ;-) Maybe they go on multiple holidays a year. ;-)

There are some people who go to Butlins year in year out. ;-)
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We sometimes go to the same resort a few times in a row. We like relaxing by the pool with plenty to do at night.

We have been to Cancun twice but different hotels, however if we were to go back (next year hopefully) we will be going to same hotel as we loved it and had everything we needed. So why go to a different hotel?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes it is nice to go back to a place that you enjoyed (but not necessarily the same hotel) a few years later. At least you don't spend the first few days getting your bearings and you can do the things you didn't get around to last time. However, I don't understand the people who go to exactly the same hotel 20 years in a row.
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Sometimes it is nice to go back to a place that you enjoyed (but not necessarily the same hotel) a few years later. At least you don't spend the first few days getting your bearings and you can do the things you didn't get around to last time. However, I don't understand the people who go to exactly the same hotel 20 years in a row.

If you found a nice highly rated hotel though, why would you want to go to another?:confused: Going to the same place for 20 years is a bit excessive. Unless you have a holiday home.
  • Options
    alijalij Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    We are lucky enough to have at least couple of holidays a year usually and for the last few years one of those has been to the same European resort, main reason being it meets our needs perfectly for a week - ten days rest by a beach whilst also offering something for our three teenagers. Having said that this summer will probably be our last visit there as our needs are changing again. Our main holiday is then to somewhere we haven't been before and we usually try to fit in a weekend city break somewhere new as well.
  • Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go to the same place sometimes as I go to family's holiday home so just get cheap flights. I wouldn't go to the same hotel or resort every year though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you found a nice highly rated hotel though, why would you want to go to another?:confused: Going to the same place for 20 years is a bit excessive. Unless you have a holiday home.

Maybe because you want to stop in a different part of town. Maybe another hotel is cheaper this time. Maybe you have a bigger budget and can afford somewhere better. In some cities I am loyal to one hotel, in others I just go for wherever I can get a good rate at.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

We stayed in a hotel in Corfu a few years that was full of people who go every year, the same 2 weeks and have done for years on end, One family had been 16 years running, another 13, another 10 etc. There were probably 6 groups who book next years holiday while they are there, same room, same weeks and all meet up every year.
    Only problem was for us that we were treated like we were intruding on their holiday. Each group had their sunbeds which they reserved at 3am (seriously), their table of dinner and they got really arsey with anyone who dared to sit in what they considered their spot.

Each to their own and all that but I couldn't get the point of just having the same holiday every year. When they asked us if we were coming back next year and we said 'no' they looked at us as though we were insane
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    Yes we do go back to the same hotel, but we mix it up a bit. We might stay at two or three hotels in total in different parts of the island so we're always experiencing other resorts. We usually like to go back to our preferred hotel of choice as it simply is an outstanding resort. They are very good to us and we've received a free upgrade every time. I'm hoping we get upgraded to a villa this time!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to the same Siblu (was Haven) resort in the South of France 3 times, with my parents and siblings.

On my own, I tend to go to Nashville once a year (at least) for my music to network, write with people and get experience/soak up the country music culture. My last visit was for 3 months at the end of last year and I'm going again in June for a couple of weeks.

People think it's weird that it's Nashville (of all places in the US) I keep going back to but then I explain why it's important for what I do and they seem to understand :)
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    We are going on holiday to the same place for the 4th time in the summer, it's our last holiday with our teenage boys and we know there is loads to so for them, and the hotel is nice. We are spending a lot on the holiday and I would hate the lads last hol with us to be ruined by a crap hotel and nothing to do, yes it's a safe option but we'll have a fab time. When it's just me and the hubby we intend to have a week away in sumner and a week in October and go to a new different place every time.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We or actually its just me now, have a time share in Majorca. I love the island and go every other year. Its just very relaxing going back to the same place, I know the best beaches some great restaurants and its an easy fun holiday to get away from the stress of every day life. The other year I do like to try somewhere new and also like to have the occasional mini break to a european city .
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A second trip to Paris made me realise that I should never go back to the same place again. It just wasn't exciting second time around.
  • Options
    Anna_123Anna_123 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all
    You've all made me start to think of where I can go for a week in early June - somewhere for me and my young adult daughter - to relax on the beach and enjoy the sun.

We've already had a city break this year - was fab - did all the sites etc...would like
    somewhere now just to chill

Any suggestions please?
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    We stayed in a hotel in Corfu a few years that was full of people who go every year, the same 2 weeks and have done for years on end, One family had been 16 years running, another 13, another 10 etc. There were probably 6 groups who book next years holiday while they are there, same room, same weeks and all meet up every year.
    Only problem was for us that we were treated like we were intruding on their holiday. Each group had their sunbeds which they reserved at 3am (seriously), their table of dinner and they got really arsey with anyone who dared to sit in what they considered their spot.

Each to their own and all that but I couldn't get the point of just having the same holiday every year. When they asked us if we were coming back next year and we said 'no' they looked at us as though we were insane

That is bonkers
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anna_123 wrote: »
    Hi all
    You've all made me start to think of where I can go for a week in early June - somewhere for me and my young adult daughter - to relax on the beach and enjoy the sun.

We've already had a city break this year - was fab - did all the sites etc...would like
    somewhere now just to chill

Any suggestions please?

Canary Islands.
    Balearics.
    Portugal.
    Mainland Spain.

All easy to fly to from any airport, and should be hot and sunny in June.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my brother and i were kids our parents subjected us to butlins bognor for 6 years on the trot.

I don't know if we were really such bad boys that we deserved this punishment so many times :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    If u dont ever feel The need ti go back u Clearly have Never throughy enjoyed yourself on holiday. U find a place u Love. Great People. Turkey loves it. Will always go back! Makes me Happy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    When my brother and i were kids our parents subjected us to butlins bognor for 6 years on the trot.

I don't know if we were really such bad boys that we deserved this punishment so many times :(

We always went to Butlins (apart from going to Pontins once for some unknown reason) in the 70s and early 80s but a different one each year. Back then, I hardly knew anyone who went abroad on holidays.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »

Sounds a bit like the TV show Benidorm - minus the humour.

I went on a Nile Cruise 3 years ago (on my own, and I'd highly recommend it to other solo travellers) & there was a couple there on their 14th cruise, same boat each time, 14 years running, seeing the same sights over and over again. It was a fabulous holiday though!!
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If u dont ever feel The need ti go back u Clearly have Never throughy enjoyed yourself on holiday. U find a place u Love. Great People. Turkey loves it. Will always go back! Makes me Happy!

What complete and utter nonsense. I've loved almost every holiday I've been on but it's a big world out there and how would you know there are not other places you'd love just as much or even more if all you do is go back to the same place time after time?