Options

Craig Dean - gay? (Part 17)

Comments

• Options
    bekzjbekzj Posts: 13,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "for now" I guess that's the only positive we can take from that! Oh well it is what it is, i just hope cheating isn't involved in the break up that would suck in the extreme!!

It's gonna be really weird having JP back in HO.
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Fair dos to Bryan, James and Guy. They've all made their decisions and I hope it works out. Quite honestly though, i'm not excited to have JP back. It was never the character to me, it was the story and frankly I always preferred Craig. Not to say I disliked JP but the year he had without Craig was pretty weak for his character. I'd hate for him to come back just to get involved in more relationships, I hope they steer well clear and concentrate on the other aspects of his character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bekzj wrote: »
    "for now" I guess that's the only positive we can take from that! Oh well it is what it is, i just hope cheating isn't involved in the break up that would suck in the extreme!!

I think the 'for now' thing is worse to be honest.
    It's like he's trying to soften the blow and keep us hanging on, rather than just do a James and tell us to get some 'perspective'. :rolleyes:

He tells us that Guy didn't want to come back so the only way that 'for now' can change is if:
    1) Guy suddenly decides he wants to return (never going to happen).
    2) Craig is recast :eek:
    3) JP leaves and heads back to Craig...but the longer James stays in Hollyoaks, the more unlikely this is to happen. He's seen what it's like out there as a struffling actor so I can't see him quitting anytime soon to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair dos to Bryan, James and Guy. They've all made their decisions and I hope it works out. Quite honestly though, i'm not excited to have JP back. It was never the character to me, it was the story and frankly I always preferred Craig. Not to say I disliked JP but the year he had without Craig was pretty weak for his character. I'd hate for him to come back just to get involved in more relationships, I hope they steer well clear and concentrate on the other aspects of his character.

I'm glad BK clarified that Guy didn't want to return.
    He's been getting lots of stick about favouritism etc but none of us knew the full story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm glad BK clarified that Guy didn't want to return.
    He's been getting lots of stick about favouritism etc but none of us knew the full story.

I would have thought that was obvious. Clearly Guy would have been asked back as well. People are sometimes so insane the way they leap to these conclusions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought that was obvious. Clearly Guy would have been asked back as well. People are sometimes so insane the way they leap to these conclusions.

Yeah I said I thought it was possible he was asked and was told I was wrong....:o:p.
    I guess people were just mad!
    Bk seems keen to bring back a lot of old characters so I don't see why he wouldn't want Craig back too. He (and JP) was a big part of what made Hollyoaks so successful back then.

I really think this is a mistake and the return won't work but I'm interested to see him try to prove me wrong! ;)
  • Options
    bekzjbekzj Posts: 13,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the 'for now' thing is worse to be honest.
    It's like he's trying to soften the blow and keep us hanging on, rather than just do a James and tell us to get some 'perspective'. :rolleyes:

He tells us that Guy didn't want to come back so the only way that 'for now' can change is if:
    1) Guy suddenly decides he wants to return (never going to happen).
    2) Craig is recast :eek:
    3) JP leaves and heads back to Craig...but the longer James stays in Hollyoaks, the more unlikely this is to happen. He's seen what it's like out there as a struffling actor so I can't see him quitting anytime soon to be honest.

I'm sure you're right about the "for now" bit, bless bk for trying to soften the blow for the obsessives!! Lol.

I actually think I would have been more disappointed if Guy had returned tbh because I don't think he needs to and if they had both returned they would have been split up and cheating etc. etc.

I didn't much like JP by the time he left so be interesting to see what they do with him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I said I thought it was possible he was asked and was told I was wrong....:o:p.
    I guess people were just mad!
    Bk seems keen to bring back a lot of old characters so I don't see why he wouldn't want Craig back too. He (and JP) was a big part of what made Hollyoaks so successful back then.

I really think this is a mistake and the return won't work but I'm interested to see him try to prove me wrong! ;)

The arrogance of some posters astounds me, it really does. Some people just think they know all the ins and outs of not only the producers but the opinions of the viewers as well.

I agree, I don't know if this return is going to particuarly work. There's no reason it shouldn't but I can't see it being all that impressive either. Like I said it was the story not the character that caused the fireworks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you're right about the "for now" bit, bless bk for trying to soften the blow for the obsessives!! Lol.

I actually think I would have been more disappointed if Guy had returned tbh because I don't think he needs to and if they had both returned they would have been split up and cheating etc. etc.

I didn't much like JP by the time he left so be interesting to see what they do with him.

See I was always more of a JP girl than a Craig girl but even so, this return doesn't interest me one bit.
    I was so relieved when he left the first time because with the priest crap, they were destroying my favourite character. I assume we'll eventually be in for more of the same when he returns ('single man' for now but for how long?) and I don't want that. I don't want to hate JP like most people here already do. :(
    And yes the 'for now' bit definitely reads as trying to soften the blow to me, although stupidly I will keep hoping for different.

As for Guy, there seems to be a theory that he might come back because he isn't landing any 'big roles'.
    Whilst that's true, I personally think he's quite happy trying other roles outside of just playing Craig and playing a variety of different characters. There's nothing to suggest he isn't happy doing the stuff he's doing.
    I sure as hell wouldn't swap La for Liverpool so don't blame him one bit! :p
    Wouldn't be opposed to seeing him back for a visit but a long term return would likely just ruin his character, like JP's probably will be. If they were coming back together then one of then would have inevitably cheated (although they'll probably have made Craig cheat offscreen already. :rolleyes:).

Agree as ever StarryNight :cool:.
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do feel that BK may try and think a bit more about the SL's he's giving JP now. After Craig left I don't think he really realised how strong the support was, he knew the McD's loved them, but I think he thought everyone would carry on loving and supporting JP, regardless of what he did. That didn't turn out to be so true.

But now, seeing as he has made a point about giving JP a chance as a single male, I do think he is a bit wary about what JP does. He wants to prove that bringing JP back and splitting McDean was the right thing to do. I know they never plan to do crap SL's, but I think he will be very very careful with what he gets JP to do. Well at the beginning of JP being there anyway!

BK did love JP, he was his baby. I guess that's why people never thought he'd ask Guy back. Especially as Guy is living and working in America, the chance of him coming back was a billion to one! Athough Guy never did the 'won't work in soaps/HO again' line, so I could see him coming back for a short while, if he's not working. But it seems that JP is there for the long haul and the longer he's there, the whole McDean thing will be forgotten as people ship his new bonk/romances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See I was always more of a JP girl than a Craig girl but even so, this return doesn't interest me one bit.
    I was so relieved when he left the first time because with the priest crap, they were destroying my favourite character. I assume we'll eventually be in for more of the same when he returns ('single man' for now but for how long?) and I don't want that. I don't want to hate JP like most people here already do. :(
    And yes the 'for now' bit definitely reads as trying to soften the blow to me, although stupidly I will keep hoping for different.

As for Guy, there seems to be a theory that he might come back because he isn't landing any 'big roles'.
    Whilst that's true, I personally think he's quite happy trying other roles outside of just playing Craig and playing a variety of different characters. There's nothing to suggest he isn't happy doing the stuff he's doing.
    I sure as hell wouldn't swap La for Liverpool so don't blame him one bit! :p
    Wouldn't be opposed to seeing him back for a visit but a long term return would likely just ruin his character, like JP's probably will be. If they were coming back together then one of then would have inevitably cheated (although they'll probably have made Craig cheat offscreen already. :rolleyes:).

Agree as ever StarryNight :cool:.

Guy does seem to have done quite a few bits and bobs while in America. I know he was in quite a successful play recently, but not sure if that was long term thing.

I do agree if they came back as JPC, Craig would've cheated and all would not be good in McDean world! Now no doubt we'll hear that Craig cheated but we won't have to see it!!!

I was always a Craig supporter. JP during and after priesty, didn't interest me at all. I want to know what he says about Craig, but that'll be where my interest ends re JP. If I'm still watching HO at the time (which I may be, I do dip in and out) I may stop watching once I know what is said about Craig. There are already enough characters on HO who I don't really like, so JP will just add to this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't take much these days for couples to be 'shipped' especially the gay ones....:o.
    I've seen people already shipping the idea of JP and Doug so could sadly see that as a possibility.
    And ironically, the success of the SE has made fans of other soap couples think they can achieve the same so I can totally see a sunset ending version 2 for JP, with some other bloke.
    The only way John Paul and Craig still stand a chance is if James decides to leave again fairly quickly and whilst BK is still in charge. Then they might discuss the possibility of having JP go back to Ireland. Otherwise I fear he will rarely get a mention.

Jende
    Regarding Guy's career, I think I read that the play wasn't a long term thing and other than that it's just been guest appearances and bits and bobs for him.
    I don't see any problem with that. If he's earning enough to get by (and obviously he is) then he should have no reason to want to return.
    As I said, at least he'll get to experience new things and playing new parts whereas I don't think the character of Craig has much of a story left to tell. His story ended with the SE and so should JP's!
    Would LOVE to see Craig back for a visit though. It'd be interesting to see how they handled seeing each other.I'd also like to see him with Esther. His family has changed a lot whilst he's been away.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    My curiosity about JPs return extends only to wondering what difference it make for him and what they do with him in a teen soap these days in that JP was a teenager when he left, he's now a 23 year old man so he's one of the 'adults' now and not one of the 'kids'

Also, what he'll be doing as a job. Last time he was in he went to school, then did at year at HCC before he left.
  • Options
    Forum Member

And ironically, the success of the SE has made fans of other soap couples think they can achieve the same so I can totally see a sunset ending version 2 for JP, with some other bloke.

A Sunset Ending is going off into the sunset together. ie - leaving together.
    I can't see them doing that again for JP. He'll be too old for one by the time he leaves next! lol

Besides, JP and Craig (and Craig returning for it) was a one off. I don't think even BK would have the brass neck to come up with that one again.
    And as long as he's there JP will be there. His umpteen shag mates will all probably come (in more ways than one) and go in the time JP is there!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    A Sunset Ending is going off into the sunset together. ie - leaving together.
    I can't see them doing that again for JP. He'll be too old for one by the time he leaves next! lol

Besides, JP and Craig (and Craig returning for it) was a one off. I don't think even BK would have the brass neck to come up with that one again.
    And as long as he's there JP will be there. His umpteen shag mates will all probably come (in more ways than one) and go in the time JP is there!

I think at some point they are bound to try and recreate the big 'epic love story' thing with JP.
    They did it with Craig and they did it with the priest.
    From our point of view, the priest crap was utter crap but it did develop a following and so in some way, BK probably views 'McPriest' (:o) as a success.
    Just like the useless 'Stug' (Ste and Doug) have developed a large and vocal following. It really doesn't take much these days. People seem to ship anything and anyone.
    If we think that JP's going to be around for a while this time then there's going to have to be some big romance along the way. He can't just spend god knows how many years that he's going to be in Hollyoaks now just sleeping around.

Yes I think they've learn their lesson in the fact that he will be single for a bit and won'rt rush into anything but I'm expecting a long term boyf at some point and the possibility that they leave together is greater at this point that Mcdean ever reuniting.

As for what he'll do for a job? He will probably end up working in the Deli or becoming star DJ at Chez Chez (which used to be The Loft).
    Totally believable for the 'Superstar DJ' to end up in the tiny local club where he started off.....:rolleyes::p
  • Options
    dequeendequeen Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I just need to know that date that JP returns so I can finally know when I'll stop watching HO.

Doesn't surprise me they asked Guy, It's surprises me that they asked him at all as it was clear that he would say no as he's done with the soap.
    Others will enjoy JP's return but for me his story ended 19th september 2008.
    So no need for me to get interested in what he does when he's back as Craig was always the one I preferred more.

Will have to find a way to catch the Brendan Brady bits (with Ste but minus JP) until he leaves HO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dequeen wrote: »
    Well I just need to know that date that JP returns so I can finally know when I'll stop watching HO.

Doesn't surprise me they asked Guy, It's surprises me that they asked him at all as it was clear that he would say no as he's done with the soap.
    Others will enjoy JP's return but for me his story ended 19th september 2008.
    So no need for me to get interested in what he does when he's back as Craig was always the one I preferred more.

Will have to find a way to catch the Brendan Brady bits (with Ste but minus JP) until he leaves HO.

There's an interview coming up with James in All About Soap. Hopefully we'll have some idea of the return date then.
    I'm in the same boat as you. I watch the Ste and Brendan stuff but so do not want to JP come back.
    I'm still annoyed that he seems to be involved in the Stendan in Dublin stuff. The only storyline I'm still interested in and they go and ruin it by putting JP in the middle of it! :rolleyes:

Just watch the Stendan edits online and skip through any unwanted JP appearances. That is what I'm thinking of doing. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't take much these days for couples to be 'shipped' especially the gay ones....:o.
    I've seen people already shipping the idea of JP and Doug so could sadly see that as a possibility.
    The only way John Paul and Craig still stand a chance is if James decides to leave again fairly quickly and whilst BK is still in charge. Then they might discuss the possibility of having JP go back to Ireland. Otherwise I fear he will rarely get a mention.

Jende
    Regarding Guy's career, I think I read that the play wasn't a long term thing and other than that it's just been guest appearances and bits and bobs for him.
    I don't see any problem with that. If he's earning enough to get by (and obviously he is) then he should have no reason to want to return.
    As I said, at least he'll get to experience new things and playing new parts whereas I don't think the character of Craig has much of a story left to tell. His story ended with the SE and so should JP's!
    Would LOVE to see Craig back for a visit though. It'd be interesting to see how they handled seeing each other.I'd also like to see him with Esther. His family has changed a lot whilst he's been away.
    The play I was thinking of, he had quite a big part. I don't think it was any big fame play, but he seemed to be getting good reviews. Not sure though it was a long term show.

I think if Craig comes back now, I'd rather JP wasn't there. Just like to see how Craig is, then he can go off again and live happily ever after whereever he may be at the time! So if James is in for the long haul, I wouldn't want Guy to come back then as I'd like it to be about Craig and not JP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,796
    Forum Member
    that was my thought too when I read the interview today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

nah. I think there will be a bigger Craig/JP SL going on underneath everything else - the writers will be writing JP with the idea of a reunion with Craig in mind, just as before. McDean casts a very big shadow, and HO writers will try to get out from behind it, sure, but this is soap and Super Couples that spark the kind of movement McDean did don't come along all the time... I expect Craig/John-Paul back together ON SCREEN at some point. I mean if HO were serious about severing JP/Craig they would have killed one of them, but they are just too, too big for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marrow wrote: »
    nah. I think there will be a bigger Craig/JP SL going on underneath everything else - the writers will be writing JP with the idea of a reunion with Craig in mind, just as before. McDean casts a very big shadow, and HO writers will try to get out from behind it, sure, but this is soap and Super Couples that spark the kind of movement McDean did don't come along all the time... I expect Craig/John-Paul back together ON SCREEN at some point. I mean if HO were serious about severing JP/Craig they would have killed one of them, but they are just too, too big for that.

But this could only happen with a Craig re-cast.
    Guy doesn't want to return and I just don't see that changing any time soon. In fact the longer he stays in America, it becomes even lesss likely. He seems very settled in LA to me.

I read the 'for now' as trying to appease us Mcdean fans because he knew people would still be upset about this.
    I also think BK might be covering his back a bit with that comment, so that if it all turns to crap JP can leave and he can send JP back to Dublin and Craig, all the while saying that it was only meant to be the end of JPC 'for now'.
    However, I seriously believe that James is here for the foreseeable future. I can see him sticking around even if the return is crap coz it's a regular job and regular wages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marrow wrote: »

I don't think they will. I think they will go the opposite way and maybe have JP saying they split and he's over it and that will be that. I don't think they would want a McDean shadow, because Guy didn't want to come back this time and he left 4/5 years ago, so there's no guarantee he ever would want to come back. I really do think like after Craig left the first time, they wanted us to forget about McDean and I think the same appiles now, especially as it looks like its planned for James to be there for a while.

Plus I assume JP is going to have some love of his life thing going on with some bloke, that will get a whole new fanbase like the priest thing. So I doubt they will even think about McDean again, especially if he's there for the long haul.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this could only happen with a Craig re-cast.
    Guy doesn't want to return and I just don't see that changing any time soon. In fact the longer he stays in America, it becomes even lesss likely. He seems very settled in LA to me.

I read the 'for now' as trying to appease us Mcdean fans because he knew people would still be upset about this.
    I also think BK might be covering his back a bit with that comment, so that if it all turns to crap JP can leave and he can send JP back to Dublin and Craig, all the while saying that it was only meant to be the end of JPC 'for now'.
    However, I seriously believe that James is here for the foreseeable future. I can see him sticking around even if the return is crap coz it's a regular job and regular wages.

Yeah I agree. I do think the 'for now' was a safety blanket. It all goes pear shaped or James gets a better deal, they can shuffle him off back to Dublin and please a few fans!!!

But yeah, would imagine James will stick it out, get the dosh and that will be that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jende wrote: »
    I don't think they will. I think they will go the opposite way and maybe have JP saying they split and he's over it and that will be that. I don't think they would want a McDean shadow, because Guy didn't want to come back this time and he left 4/5 years ago, so there's no guarantee he ever would want to come back. .

Guy left 5 years and 2 months ago! (course, he went back for 3 weeks a year later to make his fans happy - bless him - and give us the Sunset ending even James wanted, cos he said himself at the end of 2007 'when JP leaves I hope he ends up with Craig'. He also a few months ago said he'd only go back to HO if it was for a good storyline - implying going for a short time - and he didn't want to do anything to mess up the SE. Spose we have to forget he ever said that now!)

Most people viewing HO now won't even know who Craig is anymore than they know who JP is so why bother wasting words on something no one knows about?

I don't think he'll get more than a brief mention, in fact not even a mention, maybe and just JP sayin 'It's over, I've come home to Mummy even tho I'm 23 and I left home at 19 to go and live in Ireland with Craig for at least 3 years' - or words to that effect, lol

I'm sure they'll shoe horn him into the tardis that is the McQueen family home along with the other 20 people who usuallly live there!

As a devoted McDeaner, I can easily avoid this cos I don't watch HO, haven't since Craig left - apart from the SE of course - and I have umpteen DVD's to watch of 'old Hollyoaks' and lots of JP and Craig, but I will miss the anticipation of those little 'McDean Moments' HO used to give us to let us know JP and Craig were still together. You don't get that very often with a couple who've left a soap, specially 3 years later!

But we got one in December 2009, one in November 2010 and one in July 2011, so one every year apart from this one - which was probably an omen! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jende wrote: »
    Yeah I agree. I do think the 'for now' was a safety blanket. It all goes pear shaped or James gets a better deal, they can shuffle him off back to Dublin and please a few fans!!!

But yeah, would imagine James will stick it out, get the dosh and that will be that!

I don't think there's any doubt the 'for now' was to appease upset Mcdeaners.
    As if any of us are daft enough to believe it.