Options

Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Whodini wrote: »
    7:00 - The chefs seem intrigued by Mary-Anns use of cottage pie. Luke has a dig by exclaiming 'You cant beat a classic'. Quite clearly you can.

He couldn't! :D

I thought it was a bit rich of Chefling to criticise Mary-Ann's lollipop by saying that if you're going to call it a lollipop, it should be bite sized.

Yeah ... and if you're going to call something a fish finger, maybe it should be finger-shaped! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    He couldn't! :D

I thought it was a bit rich of Chefling to criticise Mary-Ann's lollipop by saying that if you're going to call it a lollipop, it should be bite sized.

Yeah ... and if you're going to call something a fish finger, maybe it should be finger-shaped! :rolleyes:

This whole show is a farce!!!

It was clearly a fish burger!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Some of his looks and comments to young gun seem quite sinister.

I'm not convinced that Jeremy could pull off a sinister look, no matter how hard he tried ... bless 'im! :D

The only slightly sinister looks I've seen have been the other way round, during the scoring. Chefling Luke does this hardly-blinking, frowning/staring thing that always makes me think he's actually trying to use "The Force".

"That is not the score you want to give me. You want to give me a ten. Now move along!"
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    You seen Skyfall yet?

Some of the comments between Jeremy and Luke remind me of the conversation between Bond and Silva on the island ;):p
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Can anyone tell me the scores, my TV decided we wanted to switch over the Masterchef just as Jezza was about to score them - although I'll hazzard a guess Richad is even further ahead now
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not convinced that Jeremy could pull off a sinister look, no matter how hard he tried ... bless 'im! :D

The only slightly sinister looks I've seen have been the other way round, during the scoring. Chefling Luke does this hardly-blinking, frowning/staring thing that always makes me think he's actually trying to use "The Force".

"That is not the score you want to give me. You want to give me a ten. Now move along!"

To be honest, all I get from Jeremy is exaspiration. He can't mark for the brief because apart from Richard and his amazing array of comedy plates, no one is actually paying it much attention.

As for the actually cooking, he has Mary Ann and her rather grey bistro fare and Luke and his - ooh, a bit of room on the plate, put something else on quick approach. At least Richard seems to give him something that is at least edible.

Bet he's kicking himself for going with paper when Marcus went for scissors in the 'who judges what' tie break ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me the scores, my TV decided we wanted to switch over the Masterchef just as Jezza was about to score them - although I'll hazzard a guess Richad is even further ahead now

Richard had a 9
    Cheflette Luke a 5
    Mary Ann a 6 (mainly for the witty horns, I feel :D)
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    mindyann wrote: »
    Richard had a 9
    Cheflette Luke a 5
    Mary Ann a 6 (mainly for the witty horns, I feel :D)

Thanks for that :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bet he's kicking himself for going with paper when Marcus went for scissors in the 'who judges what' tie break ;)

:D:D:D
  • Options
    James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Graham Norton is a great judge on this, the look he has on his face sometimes. Luke could pass for a lesbian and Mary Ann must be on 50 **** a day!
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was something about Mary Ann that soooo made me not want to eat her food. :o
  • Options
    fuzzybintfuzzybint Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    turquoise - i know exactly what you mean. for me it's the yellow teeth and rather fierce looking pussy boil on her chin.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was something about Mary Ann that soooo made me not want to eat her food. :o

Was it the lank greasy hair, the pasty complexion or, as in my case, the overly long and suspiciously dirty looking fingernails?? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    fender101 wrote: »
    what is so gastronomic about a shepherd's pie?

It's not.
    But it was trendy a couple of years ago, when people started serving it up alongside another cut of meat from the same animal.

The last year or so it's been lollipops!

Let's face it, it's all minced meat with some starch and fat on top or round the outside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Galton Blackiston (first two series) must be near the top of the list of least likeable contestants.

Not keen on Blackiston - a bit too Uriah Heep for me. But he's now trying to redeem himself on BBC competing with country ladies at fetes ( and losing). I like the Japanese guy though - he has a sense of humour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Least favourite contestant? Claire forget her surname - studied under Ramsay? Came in full of confidence, got stuffed by chefs she obviously thought she was far superior too.

Except she IS superior to them all. She was robbed and made one of the best puddings I've seen. The 3 stars at Gordon Ramsey are hers not his.......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    You seen Skyfall yet?

Some of the comments between Jeremy and Luke remind me of the conversation between Bond and Silva on the island ;):p

Oh yes indeedy. I thought Jeremy was practically licking his lips at certain points when he was talking to Chefling :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can someone update me on our own menu? Have we settled on a posh scampi "Going for an English" fish course followed by a "Speckled Jim" pigeon course? If not what then? And what are we doing for starters and dessert? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ichou wrote: »
    It's not.
    But it was trendy a couple of years ago, when people started serving it up alongside another cut of meat from the same animal.

The last year or so it's been lollipops!

Let's face it, it's all minced meat with some starch and fat on top or round the outside.

Isn't that nose-to-tail cooking or modern British?

<stabs fork in leg> :o
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it the lank greasy hair, the pasty complexion or, as in my case, the overly long and suspiciously dirty looking fingernails?? :D

I find her appearance very off putting and wouldn't want to eat anything she cooked.
    :(
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not just me then! ;)
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to be clear - I am not having a go at her looks per se, looks are immaterial. But she is a professional chef, and as such, should present herself as clean and tidy looking - which she does not. I look at her and imagine hairs falling into food and her hands and particularly her nails make me shudder at the thoughts of her touching food with them.

I actually do like the idea of her food, but she has missed the brief by a long shot and really does seem out of her depth here. You could see how intimidated she was by Richard's main. Having said that she has gotten higher points than baby chef on both fish and main courses - not really sure how that happened! I think the judges would favour his food over hers any day - but thats just my perception, as usual, probably totally wrong!
  • Options
    GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard must be rubbing his hands in glee at the two chefs he is up against. I can see how this happens. The oldest person and youngest person ever to enter both come from the same region. Producers immediately think - oooh that will make great TV.
    They don't care that one of them is really good not enough to be in the competition. I feel sorry for all the other Welsh chefs who entered as they must surely be better than Mary Ann.

I know that so far she is just outscoring Luke but at least he has some of the skills and it is his combinations letting him down.

I can imagine friends of Mary-Ann pushing her into entering cos I cam sure she cooks lovely food - but you can clearly see it isn't of the same 'type' that they really need. Luke will surely have entered himself as he thinks he is great and TBH - it is probably great experience for him and hopefully he will learn and become a better chef.
    But Mary Ann should never have made it to the programme and I feel sorry for her. She has neither the ability or the temperament to cope.

I really hope she doesn't get through. If she is this bad now how bad will be be when she has to do the lot for the judges? I hope for her sake Luke pulls out a stormer for dessert.

I can imagine her shaking her head whilst having a panic and beads of sweat landing on everyone's food - urgh
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nigel had his Hot Pot at the banquet though, and Mark Hix the Stargazy pie.
    Different Banquets, different briefs.

Weren't they for "show casing britsih produce" and "a meal fit for returning soldiers"? I'm sure soldiers love a hotpot. :D
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to be clear - I am not having a go at her looks per se, looks are immaterial. But she is a professional chef, and as such, should present herself as clean and tidy looking - which she does not. I look at her and imagine hairs falling into food and her hands and particularly her nails make me shudder at the thoughts of her touching food with them.
    After years of watching The Great British Menu, and for that matter Masterchef the Professionals, I think it's clear you should never see the person who is preparing your food.

The number of professional chefs with seriously unpleasant skin issues seems very high. I would suppose that being in a steamy, oily, greasy environment for hours on end every day is not good for your complexion.