Options

The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    joaniponijoaniponi Posts: 4,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou is beautiful and touching, fans will love it unless they are the Ollie in London make Leona a cheap chart bunny type of fan!. Do remember the other poster on here who went to the NYC listening party loved YKMW. Different ears, different representation of the song 👂 so excited for all there is to come. Snippets must be soon 😍
  • Options
    SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joaniponi wrote: »
    Thankyou is beautiful and touching, fans will love it unless they are the Ollie in London make Leona a cheap chart bunny type of fan!. Do remember the other poster on here who went to the NYC listening party loved YKMW. Different ears, different representation of the song 👂 so excited for all there is to come. Snippets must be soon 😍

joaniponi shading? :eek: :D:D haha
  • Options
    Luuk LewisLuuk Lewis Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Krusty111 wrote: »
    Here's the Ladder lyrics in full

Thanks, just re-listened the live version with these lyrics and I think I have some adjustments (although that audio is pretty bad so I could be wrong)

Wherever you take me,
    You elevate me,
    Finally I'm where I belong,
    Wherever you take me,
    You elevate me,
    Finally I am not alone.

And I always thought she sang "You're there to lift me, help me up"
  • Options
    EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    I doubt she'll get dropped anytime soon. This album is mainly all Leona. She invested in it and she wanted to bring the message about her situation. DJ supported her in this. Im pretty sure for her next record DJ is gonna finance it with lots of writers, producers and maybe high profile collabs. I really wouldn't worry about this. They see her as an artist and not a commerical selling machine

That contradicts itself pretty much. If they invest a lot in the next album in writers/producers/collabs etc, then they are going to try to make the album a commercial success - even if it means choosing singles that Leona otherwise wouldn't want to release. The label is still a business and even though they may let Leona have control over her album, if they invest money they will want to make a return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Envoirment wrote: »
    That contradicts itself pretty much. If they invest a lot in the next album in writers/producers/collabs etc, then they are going to try to make the album a commercial success - even if it means choosing singles that Leona otherwise wouldn't want to release. The label is still a business and even though they may let Leona have control over her album, if they invest money they will want to make a return.

Not necessarily though. I meant in "commercial selling machine" as in cheap, repetitive, meaningless songs simply for the sake of radios playing it. Investing in writers such as Diane Warren, Sia, Ryan Tedder, ... can still create typical Leona songs. A collab doesn't need to be à la Iggy, Chris Brown, Nicki where it's all about the money. LIke Leona says she wants to collab with Bruno Mars. Obviously both Leona and the label would want that to be a big hit but it can still be a meaningful song instead of "twerk here, sit on my D there" songs
  • Options
    Krusty111Krusty111 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luuk Lewis wrote: »
    Thanks, just re-listened the live version with these lyrics and I think I have some adjustments (although that audio is pretty bad so I could be wrong)

Wherever you take me,
    You elevate me,
    Finally I'm where I belong,
    Wherever you take me,
    You elevate me,
    Finally I am not alone.

And I always thought she sang "You're there to lift me, help me up"

That was the line I was struggling with but I couldn't get it and me and Soe got different words too :') it's still hard to hear the words properly on the studio version!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaga's new track just leaked, Till It Happens To You, it's on a soundtrack. It's a ballad and co-written by Diane Warren. I really like it, hope YKMW is just as powerful and moving tbh.

Diane's been on a streak lately with this and Only Love Can Hurt Like This
  • Options
    shatteredglassshatteredglass Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just casually listening to One More Sleep in August. Have to say nothing this era quite lives up to the joy of that song if I'm honest :P

I have a feeling Power is going to be really uplifting though :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Eliott1301 wrote: »
    Anyone else not that impressed and a little saddened about that Pj guy saying this album won't make Leona any new fans? As this is exactly WHAT she needs to make sure she doesn't get dropped next year?

Sorry I sound a little negative but it's post like that which make me worried

The thing is it could just be his opinion. This album in my opinion is different to what she's done before not to mention we've got potential dance singles which could pick up new fans. I also doubt she will get dropped that easily . the label must have known it was gonna be hard work to get her back up there again. Worst case scenario, if she gets dropped there are labels who would pick her up just like that for someone of her calibre. But I don't think they will drop her that easily.
  • Options
    AdamBunny10AdamBunny10 Posts: 3,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not loving Ladders, hopefully the studio version changes my opinion! I do love that "down here in the trenches" lyric though!
  • Options
    IluzionistaIluzionista Posts: 5,406
    Forum Member
    Btw, interesting to see Lovebird has 2.7m listens on Spotify. It has even more than Trouble (2.66m). Other GH album tracks have 300-700k. Even GH song has 660k. :eek:
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm honestly not worried about Leona being dropped. Def Jam and Island have sense. They know Leona has a timeless talent and even if it may not (at the moment) translate into record sales and high chart-placings, there is still a lot of money to be made from her voice and artistry.
  • Options
    Austin HeistandAustin Heistand Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Was ladders released somewhere or a live version? i haven;t heard it can someone post the link or something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was ladders released somewhere or a live version? i haven;t heard it can someone post the link or something?

Snippet of the studio version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqG3U8xOMU8

And then she performed it live at a concert in the US a few weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ9vvBnJVgo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Re-living her live performances of "I Got You". OMG thiis HAS HAS HAS to be the next single. Especially given Leona's voice is improving all the time and her live performances of the song are when her voice wasn't in tip top condition (IGY at gay she was ill, IGY at american concert she was jetlagged and stuff). *_* I can imagine such a great live performance on X-factor.

Screw "You Knew Me When" as the next single, "I Got you" all the wayyyyyyyy. It sounds like something heart would play and urgh it's so good. Perhaps she can get booked for the Royal Variety performance this year and sing "You Knew Me When" on that? :D
  • Options
    Austin HeistandAustin Heistand Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Snippet of the studio version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqG3U8xOMU8

And then she performed it live at a concert in the US a few weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ9vvBnJVgo

Thank You!! very much appreciated!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Krusty111 wrote: »
    Gaga's new track just leaked, Till It Happens To You, it's on a soundtrack. It's a ballad and co-written by Diane Warren. I really like it, hope YKMW is just as powerful and moving tbh.

Diane's been on a streak lately with this and Only Love Can Hurt Like This

Really? I think the production is nice, but not a fan of Gaga's vocals and the lyrics sound rather meh (although I think that's partly due to Gaga's vocals). Was really quite underwhelmed by it.

A production like that with Leona's vocals would sound amazing though.

Also, do you guys think we'll get another instagrat tomorrow? I remember we knew nothing about "Another Love Song" lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the reviews from the listening party! Hoping she does more since they said this is the first one in the US! Along the lines of YKMW, I wouldn't read too much into the PJ's posters disappointment in it. I remember another PJ poster posted before we heard all of Thunder that it didn't go anywhere and that it was a disappointment as well, yet it's a favorite and is doing well!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know what country this is but video FUMF is #7
    http://www.pikore.com/m/1055535914452723114_289706992
  • Options
    AdamBunny10AdamBunny10 Posts: 3,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? I think the production is nice, but not a fan of Gaga's vocals and the lyrics sound rather meh (although I think that's partly due to Gaga's vocals). Was really quite underwhelmed by it.

Also, do you guys think we'll get another instagrat tomorrow? I remember we knew nothing about "Another Love Song" lol.

As a fan of Gaga and her voice I was really disappointed with this track. So if Diane & Leona's track is a let down too it'll be down to Diane and not Leina or Gaga.

Why give another instagrat, why not just drop the album at this stage?? :p
  • Options
    joaniponijoaniponi Posts: 4,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You all know that I like you love Leona.

But I find that #sharehumanity twitter activity deeply offensive.

Not going to say more. Can't say more.

Really hope she thinks more about 'celebrity humanitarianism' and is more cautious about what she signs up to.
  • Options
    gtleonagtleona Posts: 186
    Forum Member

Really hope she thinks more about 'celebrity humanitarianism' and is more cautious about what she signs up to.

Why on Earth would you find trying raise awareness and trying to help innocent HUMAN BEINGS who are being mindlessly massacred on a daily basis 'deeply offensive' what are you some sort of sadist? Or just blind other world issues because it's not happening on your front door? Also if that comment was made on the basis of religion it's a bit pathetic, as nothing justifies what is happening to people in these countries, I'm glad Leona is voicing this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was more praising of the instrumentation which is classic Diane and I can totally see YKMW being something similar and think Leona's voice would be amazing on something like that. I think Gaga had more to do with the lyrics, the only interesting part of the song for me is the last 30 secs of so otherwise I don't really think the track goes anywhere vocally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    gtleona wrote: »
    Why on Earth would you find trying raise awareness and trying to help innocent HUMAN BEINGS who are being mindlessly massacred on a daily basis 'deeply offensive' what are you some sort of sadist? Or just blind other world issues because it's not happening on your front door? Also if that comment was made on the basis of religion it's a bit pathetic, as nothing justifies what is happening to people in these countries, I'm glad Leona is voicing this.

Agreed. It's an initiative run by the UN, cannot see any argument against it.
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How is it offensive? This isn't me challenging you - I genuinely am interested.
This discussion has been closed.