Options

A friend/family member tells you he is sexually attracted to children....

1235»

Comments

• Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be wiser to just keep it quiet. If advice is needed then visit the doctor. This is regards to someone who's not going to act on their urges, btw.

How do you know they aren't going to act on their urges? Wouldn't you feel any guilt if you said nothing and they went on to abuse kids whose parents you could have warned or who you could have warned them to keep away from?
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know they aren't going to act on their urges? Wouldn't you feel any guilt if you said nothing and they went on to abuse kids whose parents you could have warned or who you could have warned them to keep away from?

I was typing from the point of view of a paedophile who isn't going to act on their urges. If that was me and I was the paedophile then I wouldn't tell anyone at all. Except a doctor or someone else in a professional capacity.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was typing from the point of view of a paedophile who isn't going to act on their urges. If that was me and I was the paedophile then I wouldn't tell anyone at all. Except a doctor or someone else in a professional capacity.

Exactly, need to know basis.

Can't understand why or how anybody in this hypothetical scenario could take the reasons they were being confided in at face value.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    If he did eventually go through with it, would you be happy that he had freedom before his heinous act, or would you wish he had been jailed when he suggested he would like to carry out the attack in the first place?

I know this wasn't addressed to me but I'd like to answer it anyway. I think how you say that the person "suggested he would like to carry out the attack" is a bit misleading because that sounds like he has a choice in who he finds attractive and deliberately "picked" kids to be attracted to. No one can chose who they are attracted to and in the OP's scenario the person has said they know it's wrong and would never act on it. I wouldn't want the person locked up because in the OP they haven't done anything wrong. They might later go and carry out the act so you'd deal with that if and when it happened. Hopefully though they would go and get professional help to cope with the problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he did eventually go through with it, would you be happy that he had freedom before his heinous act, or would you wish he had been jailed when he suggested he would like to carry out the terrorist attack in the first place?

Should someone who said they would glass someone but hasn't actually yet glassed them be jailed? Can we be happy that someone who wants to glass people is walking free even though they haven't done it :confused:

;-)
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    I won't use the term Peadophile

Yet you did, and you still think having sex with garden vegetables is wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would depend on why I thought they were telling me.

I suppose it's possible to feel the attractions but know it would hurt children to act on them and therefore know that you never would act on them.

I guess if I knew the person was a conscientously non-harming type of person, and they were just telling me for the comfort of some sympathy and understanding, I'd just say I felt for them and hoped it went away for them. I wouldn't recommend they sought professional help because apparently there's no cure for paedophila, and any professional they told presumably wouldn't know them well and so, unlike me, wouldn't have faith in them that they wouldn't act upon it or hadn't acted upon it, and so it could cause a lot of problems for them.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    ... but knows that it would be immoral to act on it and is disgusted by the notion that he ever would. How would you respond?

I won't use the term Peadophile as I consider it euphemistic and the etymology is about loving children and the child molesters who wanted to make it legal embraced the term. (PIE).

I have often thought that such an attraction would be hell on earth. So on the one hand I hope I would be sympathetic and support him in his endeavours to ensure he didn't act on it. On the other hand I think i would be so shocked and horrified I might not be able to.

On the other (third ;) ) hand, I have just picked a family member and imagined him telling me this and my reaction is to be upset for him. I'm still not sure that my disgust wouldn't triumph in the end.

I don't think the unconscious stereotyping in your OP helps the discussion.

First off, what's the difference between admiration, attraction and sexual attraction? If I think my neighbour's wife is attractive does that mean I am attracted to her? Does it mean I am sexually attracted to her?

Am I constantly thinking that it would be immoral to act on some kind of 'impulse' with my neighbour's wife and am I disgusted with myself because of that?

To even say the things in your OP depicts someone who does not just find children attractive to look at, but is straining at some kind of sexual leash, constantly battling almost uncontrollable physical urges.

That is, indeed, societies' current view of anyone who downloads a picture of a 17 year old in a bikini. But I doubt it's reality.

PIE was in a different league. People who thought young children were capable of mature sexual relationships with adults. I can't think anyone in their right mind would even entertain the possibility of having any sympathy for such a view or the people that hold it.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone with a sexually attraction to children, were children once themselves. Then one day they woke up with the potential to be the worst thing ever.

Isn't that the point when society should step in, to make sure he doesn't cross that line?

And, if society doesn't find anyway to setp in, doesn't that mean were in some way partially to blame if he does start raping children?

If we hate paedos so much, why don't do more to stop it happen in. Not just getting pissed off after our children are raped?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone with a sexually attraction to children, were children once themselves. Then one day they woke up with the potential to be the worst thing ever.

Isn't that the point when society should step in, to make sure he doesn't cross that line?

And, if society doesn't find anyway to setp in, doesn't that mean were in some way partially to blame if he does start raping children?

If we hate paedos so much, why don't do more to stop it happen in. Not just getting pissed off after our children are raped?

The problem is that whats the solution? public executions and heads on spikes?

We can never 100% guarantee that people are safe unless we get judge death in to setup a few necropolises so we'll always have to run with risk versus reward
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    The problem is that whats the solution? public executions and heads on spikes?

We can never 100% guarantee that people are safe unless we get judge death in to setup a few necropolises so we'll always have to run with risk versus reward

How's about we create a society where people with 'paedo-impulses' feel comfortable to get help before they do something monsterous?

Instead of isolating them with our anger on the subject. We openly say as a society, if you've not acted on their inmpluses we will help you.

They cross that line, then we stick their heads on a spike....;-)