Options

Delhi - 2010

Comments

• Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Why this obsession with the sexuality of those involved in sport?

Whst I think it's a personal decision of each individual whether to come out or not I do wish more sportspeople would be open about their sexuality. Whilst sadly there are still bigots out there I think they might be surprised how few people actually carat the overwhelmingly positive raction they would receive a la Garath Thomas. If Thorpe, Jackson & Foster were to come out it certainly wouldn't affect my regard for them as great sportspeople.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Clare Baldwin is the only one who is openly gay - the rest is conjecture.

Oh load of old $hite on two counts then.
    I'll say no more, I'll get banned for calling people rude names.

As a palate cleanser, 16 year old Zoe Smith took Bronze in the Weightlifting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was great to see that. I saw her on the Olympic Dreams programme and she was really nice. It's good to see things are going to plan for her. I remember she said she likes to be girly too considering the sport she's in. Shame the same couldn't be said of the Aussie. I was unfortunately eating as she showed off her hairy pits. :eek:

Chris Thompson's interview was hilarious about that elephant trunk. He seems like a great guy. It's a shame that the top six (I believe) Jamaican sprinters didn't come. I understand Bolt and Powell focussing on the Worlds next year, but surely it would have been worth the others' while.
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is ian Thorpe actually the nicest guy in the world? I love him so much and hope he comes back to do more for the bbc
  • Options
    LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    That's a good result - as with the Cyclists our top Gymnasts are all missing as they are focusing on the World Championships which start next weekend, although interestingly the Aussies who won both the team competitions here have sent their A team.

the aussies dont seem to have a B team ... they are such class when it comes to some of these sports

i keep wishing the whole team would come down with delhi belly :o:D
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is there anyone actually watching this all round mens gymnastics competition :eek:

Mind you, it occured to me at work today that it's a good thing it's so empty as it makes it a lot harder to stage a terrorist attack. Anyone attempting to smuggle an AK-47 into the games would stand out like a jumbo jet in a car park.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Until you have irrefutable evidence to the contrary then it's pure speculation.

And just what is unpalatable about the subject we're discussing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me why tennis has been added to the games? It really adds nothing!

Apart from that I'm enjoying it...anyone see that squash match between the English guy and the Malaysian this afternoon (can't remember their names,sorry)? Injuries, Incidents and everything basically!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazza wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why tennis has been added to the games?

Because India have a chance of winning medals in it, probably.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    the aussies dont seem to have a B team ... they are such class when it comes to some of these sports

i keep wishing the whole team would come down with delhi belly :o:D

With regards to the cycling, it's only the European Championships that clashes (and it carries Olympic qualifying points), so the Australians aren't affected.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Is ian Thorpe actually the nicest guy in the world? I love him so much and hope he comes back to do more for the bbc

He's been really good. Very knowledgeable, but also really funny too. Also quite forthright and not afraid to offer constructive criticism when needed (just like Michael Johnson). He was speaking some sense this morning about the British athletes and their excuses when they perform below par...
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    jazza wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why tennis has been added to the games? It really adds nothing!

Apart from that I'm enjoying it...anyone see that squash match between the English guy and the Malaysian this afternoon (can't remember their names,sorry)? Injuries, Incidents and everything basically!

Pretty sure the Olympics are the same with optional sports the host country can pick, chance to promote a niche sport or one they're good at.

From Wiki.
    There are a total of 31 sports (with two multi-disciplinary sports) and a further 7 para-sports which are approved by the Commonwealth Games Federation.
    They are categorised into three types. Core sports must be included on each programme.
    A number of optional sports may be picked by the host nation, which may include some team sports such as basketball.
    Recognised sports are sports which have been approved by the CGF but which are deemed to need expansion; host nations may not pick these sports for their programme until the CGF's requirements are fulfilled.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Oh a load of old $hite on two counts then.

That's exactly what a load of those athletes and swimmers who have caught Delhi Belly are thinking. Perhaps Rebecca Adlington will be able to propel herself to the other side of the pool using her Delhi Belly 'outputs':D
  • Options
    juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Oh it's a regular hobby horse then OK...

I'm mostly peed off that I've missed more weightlifting.

Yep, Im missing the snatch as well these days ;):o
  • Options
    juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member

Well done, I too watched that Olympic dreams programme and was very impressed with her attitude and background. A gutsy performer and genuinely humble and overawed at where she is .

Didnt realise itwas her you were refering too. Chuffed for her.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Well done, I too watched that Olympic dreams programme and was very impressed with her attitude and background. A gutsy performer and genuinely humble and overawed at where she is .

Didnt realise itwas her you were refering too. Chuffed for her.:)

I watched a bit of Zoe Smith in the weightlifting yesterday , but had the sound off. I had no idea she was only 16, so extra well done to her. You simply can not imagine many 16 year olds being able to lift those weights!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man yes, well done to Zoe Smith. I can barely watch weightlifting - it scares the heck out of me. I am lily-livered !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh, just seen a VERY impressive run by Becky James in the track sprint cycling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha at the studio saying they didnt think Australlia would win a gold today in the pool.

First final, who wins? Australlia:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    I had bigger crowds watching me on school sports day.
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think it's safe to say this event has sunk Indias hopes of hosting the Olympics any time soon!

Whereas the Manchester commonwealth games proved the UK was capable of putting on a successful and well attended event this has proved a bit of a bodge up with total local apathy to it, to be fair to them the actual games themselves haven't been that badly run but the attendances are really letting them down.
  • Options
    LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come On Adlington :d
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see the crowds improving. Decent crowd in the athletics and the gymnastics look almost full:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching late afternoon/evening yesterday I have to say that the stadium did look dreadful. The track is was covered in dust and there were swarms of huge moths. The new turf which has been laid was already showing signs that it is dying in some areas, and as it has had no time to root and become established I can't see it lasting when the field events start. It is such a shame for India, I am sure that there has been a lot of corruption and that is why things are in such a state now.
  • Options
    Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big sprint finals night and they're packing 'em in to the stadium. :rolleyes: Bad joke really.

I assume Mark Lewis Francis didn't cover himself in glory during the semi-final?