Options

Very Dry hair!

2»

Comments

• Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    sabbyoh wrote: »
    i have extremely thick, dry, coarse hair naturally. i've tried everything to make it resemble "normal" hair but nothing worked properly. i then started reading about Moroccan oil in beauty forums and beauty blogs and decided to try it as i was pretty desperate.

i got this one: http://www.hqhair.com/moroccanoil-original-oil-treatment-100ml/10387664.html

which seems pretty expensive, but i wasn't too bothered since i have probably spent hundreds over the years on different products that didn't work. you can buy cheaper brands of Moroccan oil as well i think if you scour the internet. my hair is amazing now and has been from the first time i used it. i don't even recognise my hair, it's literally like somebody elses.

edit: you use this after you have washed your hair, when it's damp. i also apply it when my hair is dry, mostly on the ends which tended to get reeeeally dry/brittle. it doesn't leave hair greasy and it smells pretty pleasant - i had previously tried washing my hair with olive oil but it is a nightmare trying to get it all out and didn't smell great, i'd end up with tonnes of residue and start blow drying my hair and realise it wasn't all out/my hair was awful and greasy. and now i use moroccan oil i don't need to use ANYTHING else (well besides normal shampoo/conditioner). before my routine was crazy, i'd use expensive anti frizz moisturising shampoo, triple strength moisturising conditioning mask, serums you put in when damp, blow drying spray, hair straightener heat defence spray and then follow with ~frizz serums when my hair was dry. now i just use this one thing.

Yes, it is the best. My cousin has "black" hair and that's the only thing that works on her. She tried all products in existence. She's my tester, if it works on her it will work wonders on "regular"hair.
  • Options
    Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    I too have ordered a small bottle of the Morrocan Oil lol .. will update you soon as...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got the Oil, its a disaster, from beginnign to end.. lol however, its been my application that's been over zealous... I need to apply a tiny amount, it goes so far.. x

I'm sticking with it though, so I'll be back with further updates.. lol
  • Options
    NaughtyNanNaughtyNan Posts: 9,445
    Forum Member
    I have heard that Moroccanoil makes the hair especially coloured hair go red, haven't see it for sure though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NaughtyNan wrote: »
    I have heard that Moroccanoil makes the hair especially coloured hair go red, haven't see it for sure though.

Blimey :eek: Im not very good at applying it.. :o keeps making my hair super greasy.... :confused:

i shall prevail... :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ladyinblue wrote: »
    Hello everyone I wonder if any of you could help me please?

My hair is in desperate need! It is flat lifeless and very very dry!!

Are there any products to help it from looking so dry and lifeless?

Any help will be very very much appreciated!!

Thank you. xxx. :)

I use Dry Remedy Shampoo and Conditioners by Aveda and their Dry remedy Mask. Since using their products it's been less dry. Have a look on look fantastic. They have lots of different products such as Moroccanoil. Never used it myself. Reviews state it smells spicy, I aslo use Damage remedy products and they're great too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone. I will be trying all the suggestions that have been made!

If the morrocan oil does make my hair go red then it doesn't really matter because I was thinking of colouring my hair red anyway lol.

Thanks again everyone! xxx.
  • Options
    quiniequinie Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonny1 wrote: »
    Blimey :eek: Im not very good at applying it.. :o keeps making my hair super greasy.... :confused:

i shall prevail... :D

Not sure what you are doing wrong? I use Moroccan oil and think it is fantastic!

I have shoulder length dyed dark blonde from brown hair which has a lot of natural grey in it too. It is a bit over treated and over washed although I'm not a fan of the straighteners.

I wash and condition my hair as normal then I take a blob of oil - only about the size of a penny - and put it in the palm of my hand and then rub my palms together.

I then stroke it over the surface of my hair and finally underneath.

It doesn't make my hair greasy and my hair is very fine and has a tendancy to go greasy.

Perhaps you are using a bit too much?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    quinie wrote: »
    Not sure what you are doing wrong? I use Moroccan oil and think it is fantastic!

I have shoulder length dyed dark blonde from brown hair which has a lot of natural grey in it too. It is a bit over treated and over washed although I'm not a fan of the straighteners.

I wash and condition my hair as normal then I take a blob of oil - only about the size of a penny - and put it in the palm of my hand and then rub my palms together.

I then stroke it over the surface of my hair and finally underneath.

It doesn't make my hair greasy and my hair is very fine and has a tendancy to go greasy.

Perhaps you are using a bit too much?

Oh my.. :o you apply it to wet hair?

my bad.. :cool:

I shall try again.. lol lol thank YOU
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Another sufferer of dry hair here! I find that the Body Shop Olive (now Rainforest) range is the only thing that works for me. I've tried Ojon and Kerastace, a couple of other expensive brands from SpaceNK like Fekkai (good serum) and all the cheaper ones from Boots and my hair just reacts the best to the BS one. They claim it doesn't contain silicones, sulphates, parabens or colourants...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Bonny :D

Thank you Gameranger I shall give your suggestion a go! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Try mixing the almond oil, advocat oil, olive oil and use them as a mask on your hair after washing it and then wash it, your hair will be very nice.
  • Options
    Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First and foremost try and always use professional hair care products for the best results.
    Secondly, use products which are specifically designed for dry hair.

1. Shampoo your hair less frequently (if you wash it everyday) and always follow with a conditioner.

2. Deep condition your hair at least once a week and preferably leave it in overnight before rinsing out.

3. Apply a small amount of oil/creme/serum to the lengths of your towel dried hair to seal in the moisture before styling.

4. Limit the use of hot tools (hairdryer, flat irons etc...)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I have really dry and curly hair. I deep condition it once a week and try not to use the flat iron or hair dryer on it too much. A good deep conditioner is Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask. This treatment really locks in the moisture leaving hair soft and shiny.

I also always condition my hair after shampooing. Just with a normal conditioner. I leave it in for a minute or two and then rinse it out.

I have also had a professional hydrating treatment done at a salon. This really made a difference to the softness of my hair. These can be pretty expensive but if you look around you can find one for a reasonable price. I found it here .
  • Options
    laura_waterslaura_waters Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I’d recommend the products from Pro Naturals ;-)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonny1 wrote: »
    do any you guys suffer from 'over conditioning', love the sound of the oil idea, but does it leave your hair greasy? .....
    I've had ultra dry and lifeless hair since I was about thirteen. When it was much longer and thicker, if I wore a hat it would stay moulded into that shape until I washed it. If I ran my fingers through it in an upwards direction it would stand upright in clumps. It continually breaks off in certain places, leaving it looking as if it's been chewed by rats. I have tried absolutely everything over the years and nothing at all makes even the slightest bit of difference. Sadly, the problem will soon have solved itself by natural means aided by gravity.
  • Options
    Lin4237Lin4237 Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I’d recommend the products from Pro Naturals ;-)

I've been using Pro-naturals Moroccan argan oil as a leave in treatment applied to mainly the ends of damp hair. A couple of drops smoothed on my palms and rubbed to the ends is sufficient as I have short white pixie length hair. Makes my hair really shiny and I promise you, not oily, just remember a little goes a long way.
  • Options
    Helen_AdamsHelen_Adams Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Have the same problem. You should change your shampoo and conditioner. I prefer to use only organic and natural hair products. If your hair is dry it is better to make a short haircut. I have thin and dry shoulder-length hair. When I want to change my hairstyle I just use hair extensions with natural hair. And in a few seconds I have long shiny hair. Very convenient. I also like coconut oil mask (I make it three times a week) and I take vitamins. Now my hair looks incredible.

PS of course, you should avoid to use hair dryer.
  • Options
    araprado0214araprado0214 Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Try Aussie shampoo and conditioner.

I agree with this. Australian brands often use organic and natural ingredients so it nourishes hair and keeps it from being damage caused by strong chemicals.

This is currently the shop I get my shampoos and conditioners from. I highly recommend Clineral if you're suffering from dry, itchy scalp and dandruff. But if it's just dryness, go for Grown Alchemist.

Also, being exposed to too much sunlight or taking too long of a hot shower could add to the dryness of your hair. You might want to limit your exposure to those too.
  • Options
    Kyle_ConnorKyle_Connor Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Did you know there's a home remedy for oily scalp.
    Applying onion juice mixed with a pinch of lemon juice and leaving it on for an hour does wonders to the quality of your hair, and even prevents hairfall.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    Did you know there's a home remedy for oily scalp.
    Applying onion juice mixed with a pinch of lemon juice and leaving it on for an hour does wonders to the quality of your hair, and even prevents hairfall.

The OP hasn't mentioned an oily scalp but she has mentioned dry hair. Using that lemon concoction will only make the hair dryer because of the strong acidity in the lemon.
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,678
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Ojon here. Sorted my hair out with one treatment when it was frazzled by 2 weeks in a highly-polluted city, hotel aircon, 17 hour flights there and back and lack of sleep.