Options

Blade Runner - BBC Two tonight

Comments

• Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but the directors cut wasn't even released in the cinema properly, it was sales on DVD (one of the first) and video that made it popular, so boxoffice mojo makes little sense.

actually it was the original version on VHS in the early 80s that made it popular , they even say this in the documentary .
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    actually it was the original version on VHS in the early 80s that made it popular , they even say this in the documentary .

Look we seem at odds, I watched the original version and I loved it, I saw it on VHS, but the fact is I was arguing with the point that the studio was right. I still think it's better with the director's cut, even though I don't mind the voice-over.

We'll never know what would have happened if the directors cut had been released at first, maybe it wouldn't have needed VHS sales to start making money back.

It still was a nucleus of a great film after all.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was probably nothing wrong with the original version, just the studio execs thought the public too thick to understand it. Having the magical Tears in Rain scene brought to an abrupt end by Harrison Ford blurting out what just happened, well really.
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Alongside The Thing I think this must be one of the most perfectly realised films ever made, just flawless.

I agree, both superb films.

Also, it's on iplayer too, which I must admit has a decent level of quality when watched through my blu-ray olayer :)
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Said it a couple of hours ago, but that version was superb, until about the last 15 minutes. By that time I was hooked. My brother still maintains that that's the best version.

Should say I'm watching this documentary for the first time now on i-player, I have watched the Kermode one, which I enjoyed more. Yet this has all the main players.
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    I have to admit that I don't even remember when I last saw the voice-over version. It was probably around the late eighties or early nineties on TV (do they ever show the voice-over version any more?). I loved the film back then, and I did see it in the early eighties via a VHS video (friend's copy), but do admit that the one without the voice-over is better, particularly without the original's "happy" ending, which sort of was at odds with the rest of the film. Watched this last night and the documentary. A good few hours spent.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I know. I was there.

What I meant was lack of cgi

I assumed people would realise that.

I thought that might be what you meant but I reckon Blade Runner, and a lot of other SF movies are all the better for being CGI free.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    There was probably nothing wrong with the original version, just the studio execs thought the public too thick to understand it. Having the magical Tears in Rain scene brought to an abrupt end by Harrison Ford blurting out what just happened, well really.

But Scott himself admitted there was something wrong with it , he agreed to change it and went about getting footage for the ridiculous happy ending , and at the time he defended the voice-over .
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blade Runner is on tonight on BBC2 at 11.30pm and i can't believe i'm about to say this but i've never seen Blade Runner! Yip, never seen it. But tonight i'm actually going to sit myself down and watch it. I know everyone says it's a sci-fi classic but i never got around to seeing it. I'm sure there's probably lots more like me who haven't seen it either.

So what have i got to look forward to? What should i expect? I haven't read through this thread as i only brought it back to discuss it being shown on tv tonight, so avoiding any spoiler talk even though it's ancient! Lol.

There is also a 1hr 45min documentary on the making of Blade Runner being shown directly after.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Blade Runner is on tonight on BBC2 at 11.30pm and i can't believe i'm about to say this but i've never seen Blade Runner! Yip, never seen it. But tonight i'm actually going to sit myself down and watch it. I know everyone says it's a sci-fi classic but i never got around to seeing it. I'm sure there's probably lots more like me who haven't seen it either.

So what have i got to look forward to? What should i expect? I haven't read through this thread as i only brought it back to discuss it being shown on tv tonight, so avoiding any spoiler talk even though it's ancient! Lol.

There is also a 1hr 45min documentary on the making of Blade Runner being shown directly after.
    In some ways, I wish I was watching this for the first time tonight.....:cool:

Never saw it at the cinema, why I don't know...and I haven't seen the 'voice over' version either....:eek:

The Doc is good, if it's the one on the DVD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ruddiger wrote: »
    Shame the BBC are not showing it in HD :confused:

I've just set this to record and it says HD in BBC HD but this may have been stated already!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    If you can watch it on the BBC hd channel. The visual part of the film is one of the main elements to it.

It's not an action film. Don't expect action sequences. It's very slow 'noir' film but in a beautifully realised future world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    newbee wrote: »
    I've just set this to record and it says HD in BBC HD but this may have been stated already!
    that post you quoted was from 2011 ;)

p.s The Dangerous days documentary is well worth a watch if you like the film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newbee wrote: »

Oops!
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    certainly worth watching and rewatching occasionally.

i got the ultimate dvd set - 4 or 5 different versions.

it's slow though. it's not a total recall, say.

deckard being/not being a replicant is hardly a major twist anyway. we all watch films several times anyway, surely.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knew this was on tonight and read through first two pages before looking at the date... d'oh :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moon then Blade Runner. Enough to convince any scifi cynic that the genre is utter bobbins.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    will be watching, have never seen "Blade Runner" before :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recording it. Seen it once before and wasn't impressed. Going to watch it again to see if i can see what all the fuss is about.
  • Options
    cupoteacupotea Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Moon then Blade Runner. Enough to convince any scifi cynic that the genre is utter bobbins.

Would a sci-fi cynic be watching sci-fi anyway? Both of those films are generally highly rated by people who like sci-fi, Bladerunner especially so. With the disclaimer that it's all subjective anyway :)
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    saw it for the first time, thought it was good, Harrison Ford was good as always, thought it was a bit too slow and confusing in places though.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst there's no actual sequel to "Blade Runner", there's another movie set in the same universe. Give yourself a bonus point and a pat on the back if you know what it is.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    Whilst there's no actual sequel to "Blade Runner", there's another movie set in the same universe. Give yourself a bonus point and a pat on the back if you know what it is.:)

Sir Ridley Scott said in a recent interview with Simon Mayo and Mark Kermode that he was working on a Blade Runner sequel (as well as 2 Prometheus sequels/Alien prequels) and that it would most likely be shot in 3D...
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And there's this of course, from Prometheus. Just a bit of fun no doubt, but enough to get some fanboys excited about the possibility that Blade Runner and the Alien franchise are part of the same universe.

http://i.imgur.com/tEKt5.jpeg