Options

BB Posters Reunited and WELCOME to the lurkers! (Part 41)

Comments

• Options
    dancing ledgedancing ledge Posts: 13,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is pure Hicky

I shall take that as a compliment.
  • Options
    HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    Just looking at a web site that supplies fresh Cornish crab meat, yummy.

Think i'll be sending off for some soon.

http://www.martins-seafresh.co.uk/freshfishseafoodshellfish2.html
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    You can get virtually unprocessed sausages--they just stuff beef into the skins. You can get 100% beefburgers, but I don't really see the point, as you can make them the same yourself with mince at a quarter the price. You can get bacon that was cured without sugar, but there's no getting round the processed label, because of the nitrites--nitrite-free bacon is available, but it's not that nice. A piece of bacon is much closer to the original meat than something like corned beef or salami, so I eat it with a clear conscience--streaky preferred.

The phrase 100% seems to be elastic because when you read the ingredients they hardly ever are!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hicky wrote: »
    I get the Wiltshire Oak Smoked Rind-less Streaky Bacon, i go for more in the morning as i've ran out, it is wonderful, probably bad for you, but what isn't?

I simply refuse to believe that good-quality bacon is bad for me. Perhaps I'm stubborn. My idea of processed meat is something like frankfurters--if you've ever tried to eat one without ketchup or onion on it, it dawns that it is not really meat, just an any-old-bits-of-animals pulp.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am annoyed that people like Hicky, who enjoy food and buy the best they can should be made to worry with what seems like mumbo jumbo evidence.
    Poor people eat cheaper food like burgers and sausages and it is well known that poverty kills. I expect chicken and fish will rocket in price "because of the demand" and red meat will rocket "because there is no demand":D

Edit...
    Is "mumbo jumbo" racist these days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The phrase 100% seems to be elastic because when you read the ingredients they hardly ever are!

If the carbohydrate isn't nil, they can't be, I agree. You can't get 100%-meat sausages (as opposed to burgers), because the skin can't be counted as meat. Tesco do some 97% sausages, which are pretty solid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am annoyed that people like Hicky, who enjoy food and buy the best they can should be made to worry with what seems like mumbo jumbo evidence.
    Poor people eat cheaper food like burgers and sausages and it is well known that poverty kills. I expect chicken and fish will rocket in price "because of the demand" and red meat will rocket "because there is no demand":D

This is why I was joking with Hicky about this, as meat hasn't done him any harm. From what I read on here, Hicky eats very well. He may eat some crap, but he also eats a lot of very fine food. And in my opinion, we can get away with eating some bad stuff so long as we also eat good stuff. It's the people who eat nothing but junk food who are asking for it. What I hate most is that some people on low incomes are tricked into thinking they are eating healthily--because the labels tell them so--when they are not. Low-fat, low-sugar, high-fibre, counts-as-one-a day, bla bla bla--it's all a calculated con: processed junk is still processed junk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I simply refuse to believe that good-quality bacon is bad for me. Perhaps I'm stubborn. My idea of processed meat is something like frankfurters--if you've ever tried to eat one without ketchup or onion on it, it dawns that it is not really meat, just an any-old-bits-of-animals pulp.
    It's what they add to the food to keep it looking good, or to preserve it so it can last longer, the salt is a preservative

But salt isn't good for us, i seldom put salt on food now as there's so much in everything.

One of the times i was working in Germany i decided to be a load of cooked meats etc from a supermarket we called at on the way home, i was driving and was going on the ferry i think.

We got to the ferry and crossed ok but got pulled at Dover, they looked in everywhere, i had a few passengers with me and they wanted to put the dogs into the car but they found the German meats in the boot, they had a camera in the fuel tank.

They went mad because of the meats because with the smell they couldn't put the dogs in.
    They emptied all the boot out and told me that i had to keep all the food myself, i shouldn't give any away, and mustn't feed any leftovers to any animals, they went mad.
    They kept going on about the cooking methods used in other countries and that they don't cook foods the same as we do.

They let me keep all the meats anyway, Phew.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looking at a web site that supplies fresh Cornish crab meat, yummy.

Think i'll be sending off for some soon.

Just been watching a doc on Cornish fishermen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dlc54

1800 crab pots:eek:

Was the website Harveys?

Edit

http://www.crabmeat.co.uk/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is why I was joking with Hicky about this, as meat hasn't done him any harm. From what I read on here, Hicky eats very well. He may eat some crap, but he also eats a lot of very fine food. And in my opinion, we can get away with eating some bad stuff so long as we also eat good stuff. It's the people who eat nothing but junk food who are asking for it. What I hate most is that some people on low incomes are tricked into thinking they are eating healthily--because the labels tell them so--when they are not. Low-fat, low-sugar, high-fibre, counts-as-one-a day, bla bla bla--it's all a calculated con.

Yes, those ridiculous traffic light labels make my blood boil. And as for weight watcher meals?:eek: They are devoid of nutrition and consist mainly of cornstarch and fat, and have no less calories than any other pre-made trash.
    If i had my way i would have the company banned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw a documentary about flavorists--people who make up the artificial flavours used in supermarket food. First they find flavours in nature--say the flavour of an orange--and then they synthesize the same flavour out of chemicals, for use in food, but to be more addictive. One said "We want a burst of flavour in the beginning, and then a finish that doesn't linger, so that you want more of it. We don't want it to linger, because you're not going to eat more of it if it lingers". This programme exposed the whole villainy of food flavouring for me.

But it's true. When you've eaten a lamb chop, you don't want another one, because the taste and the satiation linger. But you do want another packet of crisps, because tricks have been played on your tastebuds and their connectors to the brain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, those ridiculous traffic light labels make my blood boil. And as for weight watcher meals?:eek: They are devoid of nutrition and consist mainly of cornstarch and fat, and have no less calories than any other pre-made trash.

They were bought by Heinz, I think. That says it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's what they add to the food to keep it looking good, or to preserve it so it can last longer, the salt is a preservative

But salt isn't good for us, i seldom put salt on food now as there's so much in everything.

One of the times i was working in Germany i decided to be a load of cooked meats etc from a supermarket we called at on the way home, i was driving and was going on the ferry i think.

We got to the ferry and crossed ok but got pulled at Dover, they looked in everywhere, i had a few passengers with me and they wanted to put the dogs into the car but they found the German meats in the boot, they had a camera in the fuel tank.

They went mad because of the meats because with the smell they couldn't put the dogs in.
    They emptied all the boot out and told me that i had to keep all the food myself, i shouldn't give any away, and mustn't feed any leftovers to any animals, they went mad.
    They kept going on about the cooking methods used in other countries and that they don't cook foods the same as we do.

They let me keep all the meats anyway, Phew.

Knowing you, you had every buy-one-get-ten-free offer in that boot. You should have explained that you've got four freezers to support.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just been watching a doc on Cornish fishermen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dlc54

1800 crab pots:eek:

Was the website Harveys?

Edit

http://www.crabmeat.co.uk/
    I saw that program tonight, also the earlier ones.
    I love fishing, my O/H's family are all fishermen, and i've always lived by the sea, used to have lines and nets till a night boat took them all, probably trawled them up.

The site wasn't Harveys but i'll look into it.
    The site was this one.
    Knowing you, you had every buy-one-get-ten-free offer in that boot. You should have explained that you've got four freezers to support.
    All the food was just refrigerated but as with most German meats they are pretty strong.
  • Options
    storminmikestorminmike Posts: 46,928
    Forum Member
    As there seems to be a car theme...thought I'd share mine

x5side.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member

x5side.jpg
    Very nice Mike, one of my Lads had one, you feel pretty safe in one, just a pity it's foreign.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very nice Mike, one of my Lads had one, you feel pretty safe in one, just a pity it's foreign.:D

I love it....the 285/45/19 tyres at the back are a tad wide:D

It's european...or is it american....the Z3s were american:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw that program tonight, also the earlier ones.
    I love fishing, my O/H's family are all fishermen, and i've always lived by the sea, used to have lines and nets till a night boat took them all, probably trawled them up.

The site wasn't Harveys but i'll look into it.
    The site was this one.

All the food was just refrigerated but as with most German meats they are pretty strong.
    whoo we have our common bond:) I love fish and the sea.

I've been out on a trawler, thats a shift and a half put in.
    With my cousin he's been a fisherman 30 years plus since he left school.

Love sea food:cool:
  • Options
    BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

x5side.jpg

oooh very impressive - bet you'd get plenty of German meat in the back of one of those :p
  • Options
    JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    Artemesia wrote: »
    Celeste chased one of her toys out onto the balcony yesterday, a stuffed bird which was shedding tail feathers. When I went to peg the washing out, I was just in time to see a little wren making off with a lime green and a shocking pink feather, that will be a very gay nest.

So cute - they waste nothing at nest building time. I brush the dog in the garden every couple of days, and at this time of year I put all the fur in the bushes and trees - the birds love it, they almost wait for me to go out there!
    I highly recommend Chiltern seeds children's one, which is a very full packet and produced a magnificent display: you can buy from them online. It was the best mixed annuals pack I have ever bought. There are so many in the pack that you could sow half now and half after the last frost and win either way.

Thanks DL - I shall order this evening:)
    I think most of ours is from supermarkets now isnt it? We have a butcher round the corner but it is the last traditional food shop we have since we were "blessed" with a 3 tescos, 2 lidls, 3 aldis, asda , 2 co-ops and a sainsburys within a two and a half mile radius.

We have a massive tit in the garden, really huge and fat. He hangs around (lumbers and thumps) with all the other usual tits but i think he must be a hybrid or throwback to a pterodactyl.

That made me laugh - I have visions of a dishevelled lumbering bird, too big for his legs!! I did have another vision initially, I've dismissed it from my mind:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Barracute wrote: »
    oooh very impressive - bet you'd get plenty of German meat in the back of one of those :p

just the odd sausage:D.....and hay....and horse feed....and tools....and thermals....and 3 jackets....and drill....and spanners...and 2 lots of footwear....and muddy boots
  • Options
    Forum Member

Me too - when I started my weight loss thing after Christmas, I read loads of labels that I previously hadn't bothered with. The 'hidden' rubbish or calories in them is mind blowing, and as you say, nutritional value very poor.

It's perfectly possible to eat sensibly on fresh, unprocessed food - even if you're very busy it's still possible.
    I saw a documentary about flavorists--people who make up the artificial flavours used in supermarket food. First they find flavours in nature--say the flavour of an orange--and then they synthesize the same flavour out of chemicals, for use in food, but to be more addictive. One said "We want a burst of flavour in the beginning, and then a finish that doesn't linger, so that you want more of it. We don't want it to linger, because you're not going to eat more of it if it lingers". This programme exposed the whole villainy of food flavouring for me.

But it's true. When you've eaten a lamb chop, you don't want another one, because the taste and the satiation linger. But you do want another packet of crisps, because tricks have been played on your tastebuds and their connectors to the brain.

I guess that's what they call 'progress'! I rarely eat cheese and onion crisps these days because, apart from the obvious, I find I need to eat 3 packs:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    just the odd sausage:D.....and hay....and horse feed....and tools....and thermals....and 3 jackets....and drill....and spanners...and 2 lots of footwear....and muddy boots

Sounds like my ex - his car was a stable on wheels!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JoJo4 wrote: »
    Sounds like my ex - his car was a stable on wheels!

tis a task to keep it tidy....the boot is a disaster zone:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

I shall continue to say mumbo jumbo because no other phrase describes practices like these so well.
    JoJo4 wrote: »
    So cute - they waste nothing at nest building time. I brush the dog in the garden every couple of days, and at this time of year I put all the fur in the bushes and trees - the birds love it, they almost wait for me to go out there!

Thanks DL - I shall order this evening:)

That made me laugh - I have visions of a dishevelled lumbering bird, too big for his legs!! I did have another vision initially, I've dismissed it from my mind:rolleyes:

I think of him as Alan :)
This discussion has been closed.