Options

Sunday Trading Law Outdated and needs Scrapping?

Comments

• Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I think it's because they have to work on a Sunday so thinks everyone else should as well

The fact you have so flippantly misrepresent the argument shows that you can not address the points actually made.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Well if most retailers are not botherd, and if most people dont care, then not much point in changing the law then really

if you read this thread you would see there are a number of good points as to why the law should be changed, such as a benefit to the economy and increased jobs and work for staff who in turn will have increased income
    , as it seems most people are happy as it is. I am sure if it was effecting their profits they would be shouting their heads off about it.

businesses don't tend to shout their heads off. but if you follow the news you will see even recent articles from retailers asking for the law to be scrapped

The government dont seem to think its there is alot of benefit to the economy and increase jobs and hours available to staff or they would be doing this, as this is part of their job.

what source do you have to back up that statement?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt very much if rescinding these laws would benefit the economy and increase jobs - shops would just change their rota's accordingly

wrong. this was mentioned previously on the thread. stores aim to run as efficiently as possible, at least big stores do, of the type affected by the law. stores will not have more staff than necessary working at any time. therefore there is no surplus of staff they can move to work different hours. they would need to offer additional hours of work to either new or existing staff to cover the extra hours required to open longer
    and more people would feel pressurized to work sundays or there'd be an increase in the use of self service checkouts

this was also discussed before on this thread. whilst people can be asked to work above their contractual hours, they don't need to accept them, plus the working time regulations imposes restrictions on working times. as there are millions of people right now out of work and looking for work, why would an employer try to persuade someone who doesn't want to work when they can engage someone who is ready, willing and able to work instead?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Which is why we need to keep things the way they are.

no it's not
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

so only about a fifth to a third of shoppers are against the law being relaxed and the majority support the law being scrapped
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    The fact you have so flippantly misrepresent the argument shows that you can not address the points actually made.

Quite.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »
    if you read this thread you would see there are a number of good points as to why the law should be changed, such as a benefit to the economy and increased jobs and work for staff who in turn will have increased income

businesses don't tend to shout their heads off. but if you follow the news you will see even recent articles from retailers asking for the law to be scrapped

what source do you have to back up that statement?

Well i am sure the government departments, will have looked into this and DC and G O will have talked and looked into this as a idea as that is thier job but saying there was a statement from a government department say, The Department for Business said there were no current plans for a relaxation of the regulations. the powers that be dont seem to see the benefits that you say there would be,
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so only about a fifth to a third of shoppers are against the law being relaxed and the majority support the law being scrapped

See you miss out the other bits that don't support your agenda, to give an equal context to the discussion:-

The Association of convenience stores also carried out a poll and claimed 77% of shoppers favoured the existing rule.

Also Him! which carried out the poll said "In a World of 24-hour shopping, perhaps it's a good thing to keep some traditions alive".

Now you may not agree with them, but at least it gives equal opinion.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    See you miss out the other bits that don't support your agenda, to give an equal context to the discussion:-

The Association of convenience stores also carried out a poll and claimed 77% of shoppers favoured the existing rule.

Also Him! which carried out the poll said "In a World of 24-hour shopping, perhaps it's a good thing to keep some traditions alive".

Now you may not agree with them, but at least it gives equal opinion.

It looks like the Union and the Labour Party are against any changes

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/mar/18/union-sunday-trading-olympics
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

First major poll. published by The Grocer the retail industry newspaper.
    Do we know what questions were asked? When, where, who by?
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is your problem in maintaining the status quo? We have some of the most relaxed trading laws in Europe.

Lovely and quite on the roads sunday around my way heading off to work myself i support the stays quo as it is now.

Commerce should not rule every aspect of our life a day or two when shops above a certain footage close harms nobody,nobody starved as far as i am aware.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

do you have a link to this?

that's only an opinion however
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like the Union and the Labour Party are against any changes

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/mar/18/union-sunday-trading-olympics

that article is from 2 years ago. also it was pointed out earlier in the thread that running a trial during an abnormal time such as the Olympics is not going to give good results
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely and quite on the roads sunday around my way heading off to work myself i support the stays quo as it is now.

Commerce should not rule every aspect of our life a day or two when shops above a certain footage close harms nobody,nobody starved as far as i am aware.;-)

it's already been pointed out on this thread the harm to the economy and jobs and peoples personal incomes that this law causes
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's already been pointed out on this thread the harm to the economy and jobs and peoples personal incomes that this law causes

Thats not been proved however just like my view its only opinions.

People have only so much cash to spend they would only spread the cash out over different shopping hours not necessarily supporting a economic boost.

Anyway as i have said my opinion is a couple of days a year where the large supermarkets ect close is nice on the roads and peaceful.

Commerce gets enough shopping hours as it is commerce cannot and should not rule every aspect of our lives.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Has the government said its harming the economy and jobs to have this law in place, as it is something that you would expect the government to say and deal with
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member

Whose personal income is harmed by shops closing after 6 hours?
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Must be shareholders in Tesco's ;-)
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do you have a link to this?

that's only an opinion however

Yes it was on the link from the grocer, which you commented on earlier.

But like anything with polls, figures will be obtained to support whichever particular side of the coin you are on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats not been proved however just like my view its only opinions.

People have only so much cash to spend they would only spread the cash out over different shopping hours not necessarily supporting a economic boost.

wrong. this has been explained before on this thread. not everyone is skint

Anyway as i have said my opinion is a couple of days a year where the large supermarkets ect close is nice on the roads and peaceful.

2 days a year? I'm sure there are a couple of days a year when this happens, such as new years day and xmas day. that has nothing to do with the sunday trading law though

Commerce gets enough shopping hours

does it? how so?

as it is commerce cannot and should not rule every aspect of our lives.

it doesn't though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the government said its harming the economy and jobs to have this law in place,

I don't know. possibly. who knows what could be said by a large number of people
    as it is something that you would expect the government to say and deal with

is it? remember this was explained earlier before on this thread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

the staff who don't get paid when stores are closed. this was explained previously on this thread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the staff who don't get paid when stores are closed. this was explained previously on this thread
    You could say the same for any place were people work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it was on the link from the grocer, which you commented on earlier.

But like anything with polls, figures will be obtained to support whichever particular side of the coin you are on.

well there were two polls showing most people were in favour of the law being scrapped as opposed to one showing otherwise. I guess if the polls don't show what you want you would make a negative statement against polls
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could say the same for any place were people work.

yes you could. and has been pointed out numerous times now, every other workplace apart from retail over 3,000 square foot is not affected by the law. so if you did say that it wouldn't make any sense