Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised Rafa is not playing at the Mexico Open. I thought he would jump at the chance to wear a sombrero like Dimi last year. :D

Not on clay this year though;-)
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not on clay this year though;-)

Didn't even realise there was a tennis tournament in Mexico. They seem to be popping up all over the world these days. I wonder if Daveed will pull out if he wins Rio today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't even realise there was a tennis tournament in Mexico. They seem to be popping up all over the world these days. I wonder if Daveed will pull out if he wins Rio today.

I only knew about it because of the sombreroes before, it's an interesting look. Sharapova is going there this year, so one guesses they[re paying a lot of appearance money for such a low-ranking tournament.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only knew about it because of the sombreroes before, it's an interesting look. Sharapova is going there this year, so one guesses they[re paying a lot of appearance money for such a low-ranking tournament.

Is she playing or just supporting Dimi? That photo of him wearing the sombrero last year when he won is hilarious. Almost as funny as Roger being given a cow when he won in Switzerland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she playing or just supporting Dimi? That photo of him wearing the sombrero last year when he won is hilarious. Almost as funny as Roger being given a cow when he won in Switzerland.

She's playing, very rare for her to do a minor tournament. Last one was 2011 that she went this low. Where she lost to Greta Arn, which maybe why she hasn't played one since.

I guess it's a combination of having a nice trip with Grigor to Acapulco, selling some candy, and probably more importantly cutting down on travel. Whilst others are floggting themselves all over the middle-east and Europe she's been relaxing in North America, coming up to Indian Wells and Miami.

They may both have matching sombreros:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She's playing, very rare for her to do a minor tournament. Last one was 2011 that she went this low. Where she lost to Greta Arn, which maybe why she hasn't played one since.

I guess it's a combination of having a nice trip with Grigor to Acapulco, selling some candy, and probably more importantly cutting down on travel. Whilst others are floggting themselves all over the middle-east and Europe she's been relaxing in North America, coming up to Indian Wells and Miami.

They may both have matching sombreros:D

:D Maybe they'll give her a mantilla and they can flamenco the night away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone is selling one of Andys racquets on Four Rooms on Channel 4 now. 10 grand. :o
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only a 250 so I doubt it, drakulastream would be your best bet probably.

Thanks, :) It's a bit strange that eurosport don't show it, they show Doha and isn't that only 250? bit peeved I got to go back to a stream when I'm paying Sky etc they should show all the Tennis and have a special Tennis channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just one of the reasons why I love him he is an amazing person, how sweet, :)

https://www.facebook.com/HappySlamTennis/posts/1513229438897671

I think I am going to watch Fog all the time he is so funny very entertaining hilarious! :D
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Daveed is a set and 4-1 up.

And yes the men - including Grigor - are going loco in Acapulco this week.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just had a great idea :) To solve Poor Rafa's problem on how long he needs to serve, they should time him and instead of being horrid to him they should then make that be the new time rule for EVERYONE on the tour :) Problem solved :D
    After all they need him to sell tickets from what I saw of this tournament it was only full when he was playing, everyone else's matches looked empty there were more people screaming for Rafa and getting his autograph at his practice sessions than people watching the other matches. 😄
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    I just had a great idea :) To solve Poor Rafa's problem on how long he needs to serve, they should time him and instead of being horrid to him they should then make that be the new time rule for EVERYONE on the tour :) Problem solved :D
    After all they need him to sell tickets from what I saw of this tournament it was only full when he was playing, everyone else's matches looked empty there were more people screaming for Rafa and getting his autograph at his practice sessions than people watching the other matches. 😄

Nadal is far and away the worst offender, and rarely actually gets punished for it. He does not care about the rules, he can hardly complain when they're enforced against him.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Perrotta ‏@TomPerrotta 23h23 hours ago
    How good is Rafael Nadal on clay? We are all surprised when he loses the same day that he finished a match at 3:00 a.m.

Ha. Very true.
  • Options
    lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't that what they already do? :confused:
  • Options
    amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nadal is far and away the worst offender, and rarely actually gets punished for it. He does not care about the rules, he can hardly complain when they're enforced against him.

Oh but complain he does, telling an umpire never to umpire his match again for enforcing a rule everyone else has to adhere to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lyn2 wrote: »
    Isn't that what they already do? :confused:

For most of the time yes it is but what I am saying is if they had that time that Rafa and indeed Maria and quite a few others need to serve then no one would have a problem and it also doesn't help that the slams have less time inbetween points than the other tournaments it gets confusing, another thing is poor Rafa sweats a lot more than most so to try and serve with sweat rolling down his face and into his eyes must be horrible while other players that don't have that problem can serve a lot faster, so they should make a new rule with a longer time inbetween points then no one would be going over the time limit and everyone will be happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For most of the time yes it is but what I am saying is if they had that time that Rafa and indeed Maria and quite a few others need to serve then no one would have a problem and it also doesn't help that the slams have less time inbetween points than the other tournaments it gets confusing, another thing is poor Rafa sweats a lot more than most so to try and serve with sweat rolling down his face and into his eyes must be horrible while other players that don't have that problem can serve a lot faster, so they should make a new rule with a longer time inbetween points then no one would be going over the time limit and everyone will be happy.

Nah I would be more in favour of zero tolerance - if they pulled him up every time he did it instead of letting him away with it so often he would soon learn to keep within the specified time limit - him and others too, obviously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So they change the rules of tennis for Nadal alone? What if he decides he needs a minute between points?

Poor Rafa sweats, all of the players sweat, he just wastes time and then moans when one umpire dares to pull him up on it.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    So they change the rules of tennis for Nadal alone? What if he decides he needs a minute between points?

Poor Rafa sweats, all of the players sweat, he just wastes time and then moans when one umpire dares to pull him up on it.

I'm obviously a fan of his, but he is wrong here. Umpires should be consistently strict, that's the only issue I have. They let it slide so often that when players (not just Rafa but he's the worst) do get penalised, it seems randomly enforced. There shouldn't be any randomness about it.

I'm interested to read his presser, just to see if he meant what he said or if it was temper talking.
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    I'm obviously a fan of his, but he is wrong here. Umpires should be consistently strict, that's the only issue I have. They let it slide so often that when players (not just Rafa but he's the worst) do get penalised, it seems randomly enforced. There shouldn't be any randomness about it.

I'm interested to read his presser, just to see if he meant what he said or if it was temper talking.

I totally agree. I have absolutely no sympathy when Rafa occasionally gets warned, generally towards the end of a match, and then he has the nerve to complain! I always think that the only thing the umpire has done wrong is not warn him in the first game.

I think I've mentioned before that there are times when I can't watch his matches and I am relying on live scores. The number of occasions when I've actually thought the match had stopped because of the time between point...Not good at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    I totally agree. I have absolutely no sympathy when Rafa occasionally gets warned, generally towards the end of a match, and then he has the nerve to complain! I always think that the only thing the umpire has done wrong is not warn him in the first game.

I think I've mentioned before that there are times when I can't watch his matches and I am relying on live scores. The number of occasions when I've actually thought the match had stopped because of the time between point...Not good at all.

I agree Jewels - when watching live it really slows the game down too. As said previously the rule is there and they need to enforce it at all times - maybe allowing a little leeway after an exceptionally gruelling point.
    Gulbis on the other hand does everything at breakneck speed and look where that gets him. Disappointed to see him go out early yet again. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always thought Nadal, like Sharapova, suffer a bit from OCD. I'm perfectly happy if the rules were more stringent, I'm sure they'd adjust.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree, it's the not enforcing them that causes the issue really.

Then there's the non offenders who get a warning out of the blue when they maybe once or twice take a little more time, yet others are taking that time the whole match!

They do give him a silent warning early, the comms have said that he will be told by the umpire that he needs to pick up the pace, but I think only once has someone taken away a first serve as a second warning, it just never happens.

I am pleased to see it even annoys his fans, it makes a match drag and the frustration I feel as a viewer of him taking so long to serve for him to hit a let and then have to start all over again I cannot put into words!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    I agree, it's the not enforcing them that causes the issue really.

Then there's the non offenders who get a warning out of the blue when they maybe once or twice take a little more time, yet others are taking that time the whole match!

They do give him a silent warning early, the comms have said that he will be told by the umpire that he needs to pick up the pace, but I think only once has someone taken away a first serve as a second warning, it just never happens.

I am pleased to see it even annoys his fans, it makes a match drag and the frustration I feel as a viewer of him taking so long to serve for him to hit a let and then have to start all over again I cannot put into words!

I could think of a few. ;-)
    Seriously though it is annoying. I'm one of the few (on here anyway) non Nadal fans who enjoys his game but I would enjoy it a lot more if he speeded it up and cut out the extremely distracting rituals between serves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm interested to read his presser, just to see if he meant what he said or if it was temper talking.[/QUOTE

The thing is though there is more to all this than what people think, I have found out from loads of Rafa fans that I follow on twitter it seems that is even the reason why he ended up putting his shorts on the wrong way as he apparently said to the umpire he is with so much pressure etc with rushing etc and like the people I follow on twitter it upsets me that he is feeling that way inside and feeling pressured to rush etc.
This discussion has been closed.